Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-12-06, 02:59   Link #32081
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
While I believe you're being facetious, it's probably worth pointing out that "facism" in its fullest sense refers to a political system that's not just dominated by a strongman or a single political party, but also one that is driven by an ultra-nationalistic, race-based ideology.
This is what people add to make a system appear to not be fascist. Ultimately fascism is a centralist economy with authoritarian nationalism. Anything else added is the warping of the definition to fit the needs to whoever adds the extra distinctions, especially like that bigoted hypocrite George Orwell.
Old 2013-12-06, 03:06   Link #32082
LeoXiao
思想工作

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
This is what people add to make a system appear to not be fascist. Ultimately fascism is a centralist economy with authoritarian nationalism. Anything else added is the warping of the definition to fit the needs to whoever adds the extra distinctions, especially like that bigoted hypocrite George Orwell.
What is this I don't even.
Old 2013-12-06, 03:07   Link #32083
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireminer View Post
Want to compare? Look at Vietnam and China. The Chinese coule executed a corruption figures, and the best we could do is 5 years in jail.
Formerly powerful people in China being sacked for 'corruption' seem to be the losers of internal power struggle, rather than the results of a working justice system.
At least for the handful cases I followed, there was always some kind of backstory, which lead the persons downfall, voiding their immunity.
Only then were they finished off with the corruption verdict.
Old 2013-12-06, 04:26   Link #32084
Zakoo

Now I know the skill to make sure half of Animesuki forum member cut each others their throat : say something good about one Asian country.
Old 2013-12-06, 05:16   Link #32085
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakoo View Post
Now I know the skill to make sure half of Animesuki forum member cut each others their throat : say something good about one Asian country.
I literally laugh out loud reading this
Old 2013-12-06, 05:22   Link #32086
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireminer View Post
Want to compare? Look at Vietnam and China. The Chinese coule executed a corruption figures, and the best we could do is 5 years in jail.
Did you thought than ,maybe, the sentence in China was heavier because the crime was more of a issue?
Old 2013-12-06, 05:32   Link #32087
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

That is what is bad in Vietnam: The Devils turned Humans. Or more clearly, Corrupt Man for a Corrupt Society.

To conclude it, Vietnamese is turning to be more and more heartless, cunning, cruel, sadistic, crazy, arrogant, furious, selfish, delusional,... First, because our Education. Secondly, the Rift of Rich and Poor.
Old 2013-12-06, 05:37   Link #32088
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
That is what you goddamn angmohs have been doing for the last century.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2013-12-06, 05:38   Link #32089
Zakoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroishinigami View Post
I literally laugh out loud reading this
And how surprised I was when I noticed a page full of carnage when I woke up.

I do understand the feeling of being competitive between neighboors, I mean there's not a single french/english/german who won't be proud about one feature of his country the one next to doesn't have. Though when I generally talk with them, we simply understand each other for exemple there's no point of asking France to be as competitive of Germany when there's simply not the same pressure of social/workers rights.
But never would I begin to spat on their country because they have the biggest on one or more things.

Still that was a funny reading. I'm already thinking about the next bait I will do to my fellow Asian board member.

@Saintess, I beg forgiveness for the West.
Old 2013-12-06, 05:41   Link #32090
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
And how surprised I was when I noticed a page full of carnage when I woke up.

I do understand the feeling of being competitive between neighboors, I mean there's not a single french/english/german who won't be proud about one feature of his country the one next to doesn't have. Though when I generally talk with them, we simply understand each other for exemple there's no point of asking France to be as competitive of Germany when there's simply not the same pressure of social/workers rights.
But never would I begin to spat on their country because they have the biggest on one or more things.

Still that was a funny reading. I'm already thinking about the next bait I will do to my fellow Asian board member.
There you have it. The biggest flaw which I myself as an Asian has yet to comprehend is why "face" is so valuable to them, be it on the racial, societal, national or even on the individual level.

Quote:
@Saintess, I beg forgiveness for the West.
You don't have to. The ancient Asian empires have already proven that even without white man's influence, we are still capable of killing each other over face and pride issues.

Until you guys introduced to us the career path known as "insurance agent".

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2013-12-06, 05:48   Link #32091
Ridwan

Quote:
Asyens cannot into human rights. Asyens very bat.
Old 2013-12-06, 08:11   Link #32092
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
I say it is luck, because no one ever deliberately choose corrupt leaders. We don't know if someone has integrity or not until you give them real power. As I say, there are many collapsed nations who started the same way as Singapore, and the only reason Singapore got the balance right was because someone had to eventually.

But you are right; we can't replicate Singapore, we can't copy it anywhere else because its success was not by design. There was 101 things that could have gone horribly wrong, and in the end we can't simply replicate more Singapores for any amount of money.
You misunderstand my point. I wasn't saying that it's pure luck that Singapore got to be relatively free of corruption. Luck played a role insofar as the people who became our leaders had unusually high levels of personal integrity (and even then not all of them had spotless records, as history would go on to show).

They, on their part, didn't rely on luck to survive personal danger and popular elections — instead, they relied on brutally unsentimental pragmatism and careful decision-making. They were idealistic men who were, unusually for their time, not trapped by ideology.

What I'm trying to say is that the adage, "you make your own luck", has more truth than most people realise.

You need good men to free a society from corruption. But good men must not be shy about acquiring the power they need to achieve reform. And they must prepared to defend their power against those who would rather use it to further selfish ends.

I am saying that the idea of checks-and-balances is only as good as its implementation. It is not the ultimate end, merely a means to an end. A system of checks-and-balances in the hands of leaders who are fundamentally honorable men to begin with will help prevent the abuse of power. In the hands of less honorable people, however, it becomes instead a tool to hinder the proper functioning of justice.

I am saying that good men who sincerely wish to change society cannot afford to just talk. They must also actively go out to attract others of like mind and character to join their cause. They must be good judges of character and, more importantly, they must be good teachers of character. And if they aren't, they had better learn to do so fast.

Because otherwise their ideas would just stay as ideas. It'll be all talk, no action. Inaction will lead to disillusionment, disillusionment will lead to disenchantment, and disenchantment will lead in time to seething resentment. And by then, it will be too late.

I am saying that if we have time to rant about corruption and injustice on a forum, I'd think it's time get off our chairs and go out there and do something about it instead. "Luck", ultimately, is just a convenient excuse for giving up before we try.
Old 2013-12-06, 09:04   Link #32093
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Man, look like Corruption in the Government is unavoidable! Just remember story of how a commander stolen the War Fund, when the soldiers got malnutrition and died because of lacking medicines. See, even in the Heart of our Resistance, where Faith and Dignity should had been a substance, a Worm still managed to sneak into it.
Old 2013-12-06, 10:00   Link #32094
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoXiao View Post
What is this I don't even.
This may be the first time I agree with LeoXiao, how the hell G.O is a bigot?

The closet thing I could find is,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orwell's_list

which implied G.O is against Jews, blacks, and homosexuals. While it is unfortunate, I have to point out this was the prevailing views of his era.
Old 2013-12-06, 10:12   Link #32095
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Quote:
This is why there will never be an Asian American president. The Japanese wouldn't vote for a Chinese guy, the Koreans wouldn't vote for the Japanese, the Indians wouldn't be considered to be "asian enough", the Vietnamese, Singaporean, and Filipinos wouldn't bother to get out to vote, and the Chinese would vote against themselves.

Grace Meng, a Chinese woman who recently won the right to represent a heavily Asian district in NYC, and the only reason she won is because her husband is Korean.

My girlfriend joked the next Asian American to somehow capture all the Asian votes must be able to have a harem and a spouse from every major Asian country....
Old 2013-12-06, 10:12   Link #32096
Ridwan

I thought being a bigot was even more a trend back in 40s ?
Old 2013-12-06, 10:48   Link #32097
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

November U.S. Jobs Report
http://live.reuters.com/Event/November_jobs_report_2

Special Report: How Fed policy enriches private equity, if not workers
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...9B50G620131206

Flights delayed as air pollution hits record in Shanghai
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...9B508X20131206
Old 2013-12-06, 10:54   Link #32098
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
The only historical examples of facist states are Nazi Germany and Mussolini's Italy. Beyond that, the term "facism" has been tossed around so loosely that it's as good as meaningless, the very problem that George Orwell had warned about.

People often use "fascism" as a synonym for "totalitarianism". They are not exactly the same. So, let's be clear about what we're trying to imply.
I'm specifically differentiating between "fascism" and "nazism" -- (although the Italian Fascists ultimately went antisemitic as well)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_Fascism

Quote:
At the 1934 Montreux Fascist conference chaired by the Italian-led Comitati d'Azione per l'Universalita di Roma (CAUR), that sought to found a Fascist International, the issue of antisemitism was debated amongst various fascist parties, with some more favourable to it, and others less favourable. Two final compromises were adopted, creating the official stance of the Fascist International:

[T]he Jewish question cannot be converted into a universal campaign of hatred against the Jews [...] Considering that in many places certain groups of Jews are installed in conquered countries, exercising in an open and occult manner an influence injurious to the material and moral interests of the country which harbors them, constituting a sort of state within a state, profiting by all benefits and refusing all duties, considering that they have furnished and are inclined to furnish, elements conducive to international revolution which would be destructive to the idea of patriotism and Christian civilization, the Conference denounces the nefarious action of these elements and is ready to combat them."
—CAUR, 1934.

Italian Fascism adopted antisemitism in the late 1930s, and Mussolini personally returned to invoke antisemitic statements as he had done earlier.[74] The Fascist regime used antisemitic propaganda for the Spanish Civil War from 1937 to 1938 that emphasized that Italy was supporting Spain's Nationalist forces against a "Jewish International".[74] The Fascist regime's adoption of official antisemitic racial doctrine in 1938 met opposition from Fascist members including Balbo, who regarded antisemitism as having nothing to do with Fascism and staunchly opposed the antisemitic laws.[63]
Old 2013-12-06, 11:37   Link #32099
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

You should note that the USSR defined Nazism as "the fascist Beast"
Old 2013-12-06, 15:08   Link #32100
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageXin View Post
The Japanese wouldn't vote for a Chinese guy
Actually, almost all Japanese-Americans have been whitewashed to the point they don't have the same kind of animosity that Japan "Proper" (for lack of a better expression) has.
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international