AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Spice and Wolf

Notices

Old 2008-01-24, 17:13   Link #21
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I noted that Horo could remember the details of 'what' she learned but had trouble remembering the 'who' and 'when' of things from long ago.
Heck, I'm not even 20 and I have that problem. Forgetting is the brain's way of flushing itself of useless information (another quip the source of which escapes me), and where you learned something and from whom you learned it is often less important than what exactly you learned.
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-24, 22:41   Link #22
Masanori Ota
It's Horo, not Han Solo.

Oh ho, but will Horo forget Lawrence? She promised to remember his name, you know.
Old 2008-01-24, 22:44   Link #23
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masanori Ota View Post
Oh ho, but will Horo forget Lawrence? She promised to remember his name, you know.
I don't think that will be percieved as useless information to be flushed out by the brain.

Last edited by GuidoHunter_Toki; 2008-01-24 at 22:59.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-24, 22:57   Link #24
FateAnomaly

I don't understand the idea of wheat harvest being controlled by wolves. What does wolves got to do with wheat? Wolves are hunters so they shouldn't have anything to do with agriculture isn't it?

Why does Horo like apple so much? Wolves are carnivores aren't they?

Interesting show anyway, although i don't quite catch the trade mechanics.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-24, 23:30   Link #25
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Spirits of the land.... you pay homage to the top of the food chain because they are the chief nature spirits. The choice of wolf is a little unusual but then after all it was a giant wolf whom they asked to protect their harvest from the raw elements of nature. No point in over-analyzing it because each animist diety usually organically arrives at its place of honor.
Old 2008-01-25, 03:57   Link #26
tripperazn
Toyosaki Aki
*Scanlator

Anyone know the associations with wolves from Japanese mysticism/folklore? Like how raccoons (tanuki) are related to slyness and foxes (kitsune) to various supernatural powers.
Old 2008-01-25, 09:44   Link #27
Masanori Ota
It's Horo, not Han Solo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripperazn View Post
Anyone know the associations with wolves from Japanese mysticism/folklore? Like how raccoons (tanuki) are related to slyness and foxes (kitsune) to various supernatural powers.
From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hokkaido_Wolf.

Quote:
The wolf was afforded a benign, rather than malignant, place in Japanese mythology and religion: the clan leader Fujiwara no Hidehira was said to have been raised by wolves, and the wolf is often symbolically linked with mountain kami in Shinto (the most famous example being the wolf kami of Mitsumine Shrine in the town of Chichibu in Saitama Prefecture) on Honshū island.
Old 2008-01-27, 06:12   Link #28
GreenSoda

Will Horo die ?
Spoiler:
GreenSoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-27, 06:44   Link #29
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Now if we knew that, we'd know the mind of the author since the manga and light novels are still in their early volumes.

My pure speculation: if the wheat were destroyed, she'd lose her physical presence temporarily and then 'respawn' the next season when the wheat returned. She's a kami in essence. Alternatively, she might actually be free of the wheat since she only bound herself to it in a pact with the village.... but she's not willing to risk testing that voluntarily.
Old 2008-01-27, 12:12   Link #30
Serenity85
Horo-ism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Now if we knew that, we'd know the mind of the author since the manga and light novels are still in their early volumes.
Actually I've been wondering that for a while. Seeing as the light novels are still being written are we gonna get an anime only ending or is the show gonna end after the first major issue with the possibility of a second season? I wouldn't mind more lol (more Horo the better^^) but do the rest you think^^
Old 2008-01-27, 13:33   Link #31
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity85 View Post
Actually I've been wondering that for a while. Seeing as the light novels are still being written are we gonna get an anime only ending or is the show gonna end after the first major issue with the possibility of a second season? I wouldn't mind more lol (more Horo the better^^) but do the rest you think^^
I kind of hope thats the case, because I've become quite irritated by animes having their own ending instead of the original works ending. It never seems to turn out quite as good as the novel/manga original ending.
Old 2008-01-27, 15:00   Link #32
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

aye, I'd almost rather seem them "continue on their journey towards the north" after some encounter that reinforces their bonds rather than some turgid overwrought anime-only "C" grade writing. SHnY managed to accomplish it. Lovely*Complex could certainly do it. Mahoraba twisted manga reality somewhat but in such a way that it wouldn't impact a second season that finishes with the manga ending. It *can* be done.
Old 2008-01-27, 15:08   Link #33
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Well as long as its a good quality alternate story I don't care. It's just I've seen a lot of animes try and do things differently but fail. If it can be pulled off with Spice and Wolf though I'm all for it.
Old 2008-01-27, 18:22   Link #34
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masanori Ota View Post
that's the point, she doesn't have to remember, all she has to do is pass it on in her stories.

The meme will be retold by bards and wandering travellers and will be immortalized as long as the story is told.

just like the Norse & Greek myths.

she doesn't have to remember it.
Old 2008-01-28, 13:14   Link #35
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Exclamation

I'm stunned speechless. I think I've just discovered the most probable source material for Hasekura's novels. And if I'm right, he couldn't have chosen from a richer source.

The Golden Bough, by Sir James George Frazer, first published in two volumes in 1890. The Wikipedia entry for this book, which supposedly laid the foundation for modern anthropology, particularly in the study of "pagan" myths and magic, can be found here.

The Golden Bough: A Study in Magic and Religion is a wide-ranging comparative study of mythology and religion, written by Scottish anthropologist Sir James George Frazer (1854–1941). It offered a modernist approach to discussing religion, treating it dispassionately as a cultural phenomenon rather than from a theological perspective.

So what's the big deal? Well, Sir Frazer was apparently the first anthropologist to notice this particular ritual that is supposedly shared by many farming communities around the world: the Corn Dolly. Take a read for yourself to see the origins of Horo, the Corn-Wolf. It's amazing! (Even if the theory is probably widely discredited by now...)
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-28, 21:32   Link #36
Masanori Ota
It's Horo, not Han Solo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
I'm stunned speechless. I think I've just discovered the most probable source material for Hasekura's novels. And if I'm right, he couldn't have chosen from a richer source.

The Golden Bough, by Sir James George Frazer, first published in two volumes in 1890. The Wikipedia entry for this book, which supposedly laid the foundation for modern anthropology, particularly in the study of "pagan" myths and magic, can be found here.

The Golden Bough: A Study in Magic and Religion is a wide-ranging comparative study of mythology and religion, written by Scottish anthropologist Sir James George Frazer (1854–1941). It offered a modernist approach to discussing religion, treating it dispassionately as a cultural phenomenon rather than from a theological perspective.

So what's the big deal? Well, Sir Frazer was apparently the first anthropologist to notice this particular ritual that is supposedly shared by many farming communities around the world: the Corn Dolly. Take a read for yourself to see the origins of Horo, the Corn-Wolf. It's amazing! (Even if the theory is probably widely discredited by now...)
You do think too hard. Nice find.
Old 2008-01-31, 15:43   Link #37
discopirate1

I believe TinyRedLeaf is entirely correct about the Corn Dolly analogy. The source material referenced may be Western versus Japanese. Remember this anime is supposedly set in medieval Europe. I am going to watch and see if Horo aligns more closely as a Shinto Kami or western pagan diety. Good catch!
discopirate1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-02, 15:57   Link #38
LKK

What does spice signify within the context of the title? I can't figure out what it's referring to. Is it literally a spice? If so, how does a spice figure into the story? Or is this case of Engrish and the word spice should have been the slang adjective spicy indicating that Horo is a spicy wolf?

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-02, 16:06   Link #39
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Traders carry and trade in spice - Lawrence is a trader. Though I can see why that might be confusing because spice hasn't been *specifically* mentioned in the anime yet. Marten fur pelts & Wolf just doesn't have the same ring to it.
Old 2008-02-02, 16:13   Link #40
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
What does spice signify within the context of the title? I can't figure out what it's referring to. Is it literally a spice? If so, how does a spice figure into the story? Or is this case of Engrish and the word spice should have been the slang adjective spicy indicating that Horo is a spicy wolf?
The only thing lacking in this post is the complimentary emoticon.... Hi LKK.

To be on the subject... hehe.. ... ahem... ahem.. right..

The official title reads 狼と香辛料 or Ookami to Koushinryou in romaji. Wolf and Spice is the immediate translation given when using a language tools such as Google. I presume it's an easy name to remember for any non-Japanese speaker... so go figure. Wolf and Spice it is.

I don't know how spice figures into the story, but trading is the dominant plot device used to tell this story. As we know from our history, spice was a huge thing in trade in Asia and Europe at that period of time, so perhaps that's how Spice figures into it? Anyway, I tried.

And for the heck of it one more showing of this emoticon...
monir is offline   Reply With Quote