AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Aquarion Series > Past Aquarion Series

Notices

Old 2012-02-08, 07:04   Link #1101
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil|plushie View Post
D00ds, he's known her for like maybe 1 week at most. ONE FRIGGING WEEK. That's barely enough to develop a friendship, let alone a romantic relationship.
They addressed that in episode 5 - Mikono wondered why she feels so close to Amata despite having just met him. IIRC both she and Amata said they feel they've known each other for a long time, and Amata said their meeting was destiny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusa-San View Post
With that, let's hope that we will have : Kagura and Mikono together and Amata and Zessica together.
What's with that "let's"? I'm rooting for Amata x Mikono, thankyouverymuch.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-08, 07:26   Link #1102
Kusa-San
I'll end it before April.

Quote:
Lol, what insults are you seeing??
Those idiots, freaks...But maybe I'm wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post

What's with that "let's"? I'm rooting for Amata x Mikono, thankyouverymuch.
How...How can you ? (btw, the "let's" was an impersonal way to talk about what I thought )
Old 2012-02-08, 07:29   Link #1103
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Why is everyone saying it's NTR if Amata loses Mikono to Kagura. D00ds, he's known her for like maybe 1 week at most. ONE FRIGGING WEEK. That's barely enough to develop a friendship, let alone a romantic relationship.
Because they're an 'established' couple in the context of the story

You know like how harem series are called harem series even though technically there isn't a harem because the guy doesn't see the girls in that light? Same thing
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-08, 07:36   Link #1104
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusa-San View Post
How...How can you ?
Sorry... that's just the way I am... orz
Old 2012-02-08, 07:55   Link #1105
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Because they're an 'established' couple in the context of the story

You know like how harem series are called harem series even though technically there isn't a harem because the guy doesn't see the girls in that light? Same thing
Considering who's writing the story, I hesitate to call anyone 'established' couples yet.

http://sining83.blogspot.com
evil|plushie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-08, 07:58   Link #1106
miketyson

Triple_R: the "overlapping triangles" construct also harkens back to Escaflowne, which wikipedia tells me was another Kawamori creation (lol). It was a similar deal: Hitomi and Van are the leads, and the triangles looked like Van-Hitomi-Allen and Hitomi-Van-Merle. That sure kept things in a holding pattern.

Kagura-the-whipping-boy: I think I started this. The argument is that (1) he loses all his fights (even to Amata, lol!) and (2) gets jerked around by Izumo, Jin, and Mykage. Which is kinda true: if Mikono wasn't into him he'd almost certainly come across as more of an "annoying nuisance" than a "threatening enemy".
miketyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-08, 07:58   Link #1107
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Considering who's writing the story, I hesitate to call anyone 'established' couples yet.
Fair enough, but since Amata/Mikono came first, or rather is 'presented' first, anybody that tries to get in between them is an evil NTR villain

...Okay in the end this is just semantics

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketyson View Post
Which is kinda true: if Mikono wasn't into him he'd almost certainly come across as more of an "annoying nuisance" than a "threatening enemy".
Mikono isn't into him that way just because she subconsciously wants to apologies for something

Remember my King Kong analogy ?
Old 2012-02-08, 08:15   Link #1108
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier

She 'not into him that way'. She just lusts after him so much it filled up the sensor back at base and shocked her into unconsciousness.

Old 2012-02-08, 08:18   Link #1109
miketyson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Mikono isn't into him that way just because she subconsciously wants to apologies for something

Remember my King Kong analogy ?
I definitely remember the analogy. Replace "interested in" with "curious about" and it works fine.
Old 2012-02-08, 08:21   Link #1110
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
She 'not into him that way'. She just lusts after him so much it filled up the sensor back at base and shocked her into unconsciousness.
She already said she was scared of him...

Quote:
I definitely remember the analogy. Replace "interested in" with "curious about" and it works fine.
Fair enough.
Old 2012-02-08, 08:25   Link #1111
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier

I'd be scared too if some random hot female licked me in public, filling me with so much lust that I was electro-shocked into unconsciousness....No, actually I wouldn't. But then I'm not mikono -_-

Old 2012-02-08, 08:27   Link #1112
Shikijin

Quote:
I think one of the reasons why Sousei no Aquarion keeps getting bad reviews is because guys go into it expecting a MANLY MECHA STORY or whatever, and then Touma breaks their brain.
I have to say there was still a lot of MANLY in that series, and more importantly the MECHA was really done right. I hope in Evol they do something along the lines of what they did in the late part of the old series.
Spoiler for for the True End:

Anyway, I heard spoilers about episode 10
Spoiler for episode #10:

I even got a theory... the enemy uses love as a source of energy. That's why they keep Alicia under formaldehyde. With Mikono Kagura may become terribly powerful.
Shikijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-08, 08:29   Link #1113
kuromitsu

Quote:
Triple_R: the "overlapping triangles" construct also harkens back to Escaflowne, which wikipedia tells me was another Kawamori creation (lol). It was a similar deal: Hitomi and Van are the leads, and the triangles looked like Van-Hitomi-Allen and Hitomi-Van-Merle. That sure kept things in a holding pattern.
It was a bit different in Esca, though. Merle was obviously out of the equation from day one (regardless of her feelings for Van), and the Van x Hitomi end was IMO pretty clear from the first episode as well, at least for me.

Then again, Escaflowne wasn't just Kawamori's work, it also had the creative genius of Akane Kazuki.

Quote:
Kagura-the-whipping-boy: I think I started this. The argument is that (1) he loses all his fights (even to Amata, lol!) and (2) gets jerked around by Izumo, Jin, and Mykage.
That's true but it's not being a whipping boy, it's more like Kagura making bad decisions and suffering the consequences. And from what I see he's not even being jerked around, at least not very obviously. In ep 1-2 Izumo only dragged him back when his mecha was already in pieces and he would've lost anyway, in ep 6 Jin did it because Kagura was interfering with his mission. And thinking about it, I don't think we've ever seen him punished - Izumo and Jin may keep tabs on him but they let him loiter around Mykage's ice coffin or whatever, and grumble to him about Izumo, and also let him go after Mikono as long as it didn't interfere with something more important. (Unless I'm misinterpreting "whipping boy"? AFAIK it's a synonym of scapegoat.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikijin View Post
I have to say there was still a lot of MANLY in that series, and more importantly the MECHA was really done right. I hope in Evol they do something along the lines of what they did in the late part of the old series.
Oh, there was a lot of MANLY, it was just infused with a generous amount of romance (as in the literary genre not as "romantic relationships" although obviously it had those, too), as Kawamori is wont to do. I think this, along with the whole "not quite parody but not quite serious either" tone really confused a lot of people. (It's kind of weird seeing people who lap up Gurren Lagann bash Aquarion... ^^;; )

Quote:
Spoiler for for the True End:
I thought of that, too, but got stuck at how to draw Kagura's mecha's wing-like bits, so. ^^;; (Well that, and I do half-expect Kagura and Amata to do some sort of "merge" in some way, for whatever reason...)

Quote:
Anyway, I heard spoilers about episode 10
Spoiler for episode #10:
Ooh~ source?
Old 2012-02-08, 08:43   Link #1114
miketyson

Quote:
It was a bit different in Esca, though. Merle was obviously out of the equation from day one (regardless of her feelings for Van), and the Van x Hitomi end was IMO pretty clear from the first episode as well, at least for me.
Same, but even so the way I remember it is that there was just enough triangle action to keep things in stasis for a very long time (and it helped that romance wasn't as big a part of the plot as it seems to be here).

Quote:
That's true but it's not being a whipping boy, it's more like Kagura making bad decisions and suffering the consequences...Unless I'm misinterpreting "whipping boy"? AFAIK it's a synonym of scapegoat.
You're right about what "whipping boy" means, I was just using it that way b/c someone upthread used it, so I figured I'd maintain a common referent. It's not like there's a great word for "villain who always winds up losing".

But the way he gets treated on Altair is why I put "rich" in my description: he fits the "boss's kid" stereotype really well, insofar as he's always causing trouble but never gets punished or fired (he can't b/c of who he is). All the others can do is put up with his antics and get him out of the way when he's causing serious problems.
Old 2012-02-08, 08:56   Link #1115
Vena
Carpe Diem

Quote:
You're right about what "whipping boy" means, I was just using it that way b/c someone upthread used it, so I figured I'd maintain a common referent. It's not like there's a great word for "villain who always winds up losing".
Whipping boy was the easiest way to qualify his status: he gets beaten silly every time he's in a serious fight. He hasn't put up much of a fight against anything aside from the Aquarias in Episode 1.

Quote:
Wait, wait, "can't catch a break" and "whipping boy"? How? From what I can see Kagura has a pretty special status: he has his own personalized mecha and so far it seems he's mostly free to do whatever he pleases, he only gets dragged back when he endangers missions that are deemed more important than Kagura trying to get into fights or going off after some girl. How does this make him a whipping boy? (Aside of Shrade/Aquarion Spada whipping him in ep 6 but that wasn't exactly the same thing...) And as for not catching a break, he's brought all that on himself. First he gets into an unnecessary (for Altair's POV) battle that ends with Aquarion awakening and his mecha in pieces, then he sneaks back to kidnap some random girl (for Altair), except he's interfering with Jin's operation, plus he didn't stop to consider that the girl may not want to go with him/she may have friends who are not going to stand by and watch him take her away just because he said she's his bitch... Like Kagura if you want (I'm sort of neutral on him so far - I don't find him particularly hot, and his personality is starting to grate on me) but so far he comes across as selfish and arrogant rather than a poor whipping boy.
If you'd read a little further back, you'd note that I compared him to a naive (and spoiled) kid too. He's lived a life of luxury, to some extent, and his desires have probably never been rejected. So the first time he finds something that he actually wants for himself, he gets hit by a cold wall of reality smacking him back into place. His actions with Mikono are like this, he wants her and thinks her his, all of his actions disregard consequences and are entirely tunnel visioned on her, like a kid that wants a new ball.
Old 2012-02-08, 08:57   Link #1116
KRegnard

I watched Sousei no Aquarion's movie, now I'm completely lost. Is Aquarion Evol the sequel for the original TV series or the movie, or both of them (if I've interpreted the movie correctly)?
KRegnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-08, 09:06   Link #1117
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vena View Post
Amata and Shrade are reverse cockblocking him. All's fair in love and war.

Let's just hope this doesn't turn into True Tears.
I rather it does. Me likes delicious relationship trolling
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-08, 09:08   Link #1118
Tenchi Hou Take

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Pandemonium View Post
OH GOD I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!!! See Bleach returns this week and I love that most of all, so I am trying to devote all my time to watching for scans, pics, and I am praying for a miracle--that the Bleach hating spoiler girl will actually type a full paragraph instead of 10-15 word summary. (At this point I would settle for 2 complete sentences that actually told us what happened) ..so for now I was trying to be cool and not post in this thread...but I just gotta say...
  1. You can have more than one main character
  2. The main character is not always the main protagonist
  3. The main protagonist is not always the main character
  4. A character can be both the main character and the main protagonist
That shit really if ever happens in these sorts of action anime and usually it has something to do with an action female heroine, it practically barely if ever happens in a Mecha anime, the primary antagonist rival is practically never the main character, Name me how many animes there are where the antagonist, switches into the primary main character later on in the series.

I mean seriously AMATA LEADS FRICKING AQUARION EVOL. THE NAME OF THE SHoW. Kagura is never going to drive that machine, at the very least not without Amata leading it.

Also the NTR crap comes from the fact the Amata and Mikono were litterally about to become in love before Kagura cock blocked it according to that machine and week means jack shit in these sorts of stories that's a poor excuse, people fall in love in practically a day in these sorts of stories.
Tenchi Hou Take is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-08, 09:11   Link #1119
Vena
Carpe Diem

Quote:
Why is everyone saying it's NTR if Amata loses Mikono to Kagura. D00ds, he's known her for like maybe 1 week at most. ONE FRIGGING WEEK. That's barely enough to develop a friendship, let alone a romantic relationship. God forbid a guy EVER lose a girl he has any interest in to another guy. Damn the japanese for coming up with such twisted NTR scenarios. -_-

BTW, my OTP is Kagura x Zessica. Let the 2 other idiots have each other.
People are used to the usual formulas used in this sort of story telling:
- Boy meets girl
- Boy and girl fall in love
- Girl stolen from boy by X
- Angst (between girl and X, boy and Y)
- Boy eventually saves girl
- Boy and girl save universe
- Profit

So, to many, even with only a handful of episodes, Amata and Mikono are the story's couple and Kagura is the one NTRing. The general formula may still apply to the show but the way this and its predecessors have handled romance, its hard to say what one should take as *obvious* or, even, *foreshadowing*. We see different *obvious* things, our opinions conflict, and we cease to be able to agree.

(Kagura x Zessica frightens me but I'll buy it if they give it a proper... explanation for how the heck we'd go from "you smell sweet" to "hotpants omg!". I don't see it happening though. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchi Hou Take View Post
Also the NTR crap comes from the fact the Amata and Mikono were litterally about to become in love before Kagura cock blocked it according to that machine and week means jack shit in these sorts of stories that's a poor excuse, people fall in love in practically a day in these sorts of stories.
Or, given their ostracized personalities, two kids who finally found someone they can relate to, took their pent up emotions to far to quickly? Would be a funny twist.
Old 2012-02-08, 09:17   Link #1120
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier

I can not wait for kawamori to begin his trolling of viewers.

Tags
comedy, science fiction