Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-03-11, 14:57   Link #1
hejdar
I like anime.

Action... BUT!

Yes, I want well animated action!

But here's the important part. It's about the main character, I want him/her to be confident in his/her own abilities. I'm tired of all these series where the main character fails at fighting cause he or she is busy brooding over what will happen if he/she goes all-out or WHATEVER. Damn it's boring, just fight damn it! For example, I just finished watching Mai-HiME and I liked the action but damn, that girl knew how to whine excessively! Now... One Piece however, that's a series I really enjoy. The main characters all kick ass without thinking too much into it... that's what I like!

So yeah... that's what I want. Well actually I'd prefer if the main character isn't a total nobody from the beginining, and also I don't want something too serious... so throw in some comedy in it all as well. Well actually if possible some romance is cool as well. Eh,well, that's about it! Oh wait... I guess I should list a few series that I've watched already, here goes:

One Piece
(Favourite action series)
Bleach (Soul Society arc was genious... but now Ichigo is turning into a crybaby, bah!)
Naruto (Decent...)
Rurouni Kenshin (Cool... COOL! Although not so cool after a while...)
Mai-HiME (Beautiful fighting scenes... but as I said, too much focus on whining)
Cowboy Bebop (Well it did have it's share of action which was cool, although not looking for something this serious)
DNAngel (Didn't like)
Full Metal Panic (One of my favourite series... although it's not thanks to the action, I don't enjoy mecha that much!)

So... anyone got the perfect series for me?
Old 2007-03-11, 15:30   Link #2
VegaCrescent
]CLOCK UP[

Hm...

Well, if you enjoy'd Mai-HiME's action, you might like Mai-Otome, it generally has less brooding than HiME... There is a bit later in the series, but less focus on it in general (^^;; Arika's, Otome's main character, like the anti-thesis to a reflective character like Mai). It follows a similar path as HiME, with the first half of the series being more comedic and fanservice-y and the second half being more dramatic.

Otherwise, lesse...

Outlaw Star: If you're looking for a less-serious Bebop, this is it.

Black Lagoon: Action, action, and more action (of the gunslinging variety) for the most part. Kinda serious at points, but definitely over-the-top and often fairly tongue-in-cheek.

Noir: There's differing opinions about this one... I guess it should be noted if you're looking for action, that for some reason, the show artistically chose to never show blood in the present, so that takes away from it a bit... and until Chloe's introduced, the series kinda falls into a lull of episodic or mini-arcs involving various bad mafia stereotypes, but there's some pretty good action, and some pretty creative deaths.

Dragonball (Z) Essentially the original shonen anime in the Bleach/Naruto sense. The original series is more comedic and generally less serious, and then it's sequel (Z), is all about the fighting. Though, granted, the series may seem a bit dated compared to something like Bleach.
Old 2007-03-11, 15:44   Link #3
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Black Cat
Fate/Stay night
The Third
Black Blood Brothers
Blood+
Old 2007-03-11, 15:52   Link #4
jedinat

Shura no Toki - the main character(s) is badass from the beginning. little bit of light romance also
Kino no Tabi - largely not an action series, but the 3 episode gladiator arc is cool
2nd Noir
Witch Hunter Robin - the main girl never gets angsty. nice stylish anime
Code Geass - it's action, but sort of behind the scenes action regarding the protagonist... he doesn't hesitate in eliminating people
Old 2007-03-11, 23:31   Link #5
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
The main characters all kick ass without thinking too much into it... that's what I like!
Obviously Yu Yu Hakusho as Yusuke is the one shonen hero who could care less about anything other than the fight at hand...

Others:

Flame of Recca (Yu Yu Hakusho 2.0)

Tenjo Tenge (The show has some problems, but the protagonist isn't a crybaby at all)

Shaman King (I don't think I've seen one episode where Yoh Asakura looked like he was lacking confidence, also light and comical with cool action)

Ninja Scroll TV (Jubei is kick a$$ from start to finish)

SCRYEd (I dare anybody to say Kazuya lacks confidence..This dude is foolishly overconfident and cocky at all times...

Saiyuki
(All 4 main characters have no issues when it comes to fighting...Mostly in an entertaining and irrational style--The subsequent Saiyuki series' lack alot that the first had, but overall it's macho action at it's best--except for the fangirl bishido)

Getbackers (Another show with not to much whining and a$$kicking galore...from characters like Ban Midou...again I give it the dreaded bishido warning which will make you *sigh* at times)

Samurai Champloo (Mugen, nuff said)
Old 2007-03-11, 23:42   Link #6
tritoch

Shadow Skill - Elle is can kick ass. Gau seems timid but is really a beast sleeping.

The Third - The heroine sometimes become emo but you'll forgive her cause she can kick major butt.

Weiss Kruz - yeah

There's also a ton of shows still airing that are cool- Baku Kik Iroha and Tokyo Majin Gakuen Kenpuchou
Old 2007-03-12, 02:46   Link #7
andromeda0201

Full Metal Alchemist - I don't remember seeing Edward hesitate

Ranma 1/2 - well Ranma is extremely confident till kinda cocky and he practically enjoys fighting

Inuyasha - about the same character as Ranma

HunterXHunter - granted, the protagonist isn't the best in the beginning, but he never whines

Gungrave
Old 2007-03-12, 03:17   Link #8
hejdar
I like anime.

Wow, that's a lot of recommendations, and a lot of them seem to fit what I'm looking for, thanks! I'll be sure to look into them... although too bad my own computer's video card just failed me, will have to get a new one first haha
Old 2007-03-12, 03:27   Link #9
miaka

Busou Renkin - action/school
gintama -- comedy/ episodic
Old 2007-03-12, 03:56   Link #10
Red Herring
SPARTANS

I have to echo wingdarkness...Yu Yu Hakusho is the essential action show in my opinion. I can't recommend it enough.

An overlooked show I think you should check out is Tsukikage Ran. Its pretty short, but its all about ass kicking and laughs. The story is a female samurai and some kung fu ditz traveling the Edo period landscape and getting in some misadventures. The samurai woman is cooly confident in her abilities and she loves to get drunk(marry me!). Should have been longer than it is.
Old 2007-03-12, 11:14   Link #11
Goofus Maximus
Senile Member

I like Angel Heart, which is a better done spin-off of the City Hunter series. The animation is much better in this series, though I think it fails at the "brooding" requirement, since the main charactor is a teenaged former assassin who tried to kill herself...
Old 2007-03-12, 17:12   Link #12
Corn
Gotta kill 'em all!

Samurai Champloo. Mugen is out of his freaking mind. He is the most vile character I have ever seen...

Obviously Berserk too... or elfen lied.
Old 2007-03-13, 01:41   Link #13
hermadelion

Gutts from Berserk is as badass as they come. his huge sword does the talking. wont back out of any fight and public safety is his last concern

s CRY ed is mostly all out action as well
Closed Thread