AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2015-02-12, 00:08   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 776 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Break's over, and spoiler's out! Credit goes to AP's Redon and Aohige for the summary:

-Chapter title is "Hero of the Coliseum". In the ministory, it's explained that the reason the town was attacked by the sea beasts was because the ruins they were sleeping in was moved to the surface.

-After defeating Pink, Franky passes out from exhaustion, but not before telling the Tontattas to destroy the factory themselves. As he loses consciousness, he says he'll leave the rest to Luffy. Meanwhile, we focus on Kyros vs. Diamante. It turns out the exec is quite an accomplished swordsman himself, and uses his flapping ability to evade Kyros' attacks. As he continues to mock an exhausted Kyros, the executive officer uses an attack attack where he uses fireworks to shoot spiked balls in the air, which rain down on not only Kyros, but Robin and Rebecca as well!

-While everyone else is able to guard themselves from the balls, Kyros only swings his sword to brush them aside. Diamante then takes the opportunity to shoot the gladiator's leg, making him vulnerable to the deadly rain. Rebecca tries to help her father, but Robin restrains her. Furthermore, Kyros tells her to stay back anyway, as she must respect her promise to her mother. As Diamante asks him if he's made of iron to withstand his attacks, Kyros merely responds that he's made of rage instead.....

-As Kyros rushes towards Diamante, the executive gets ready to finish him off with his strongest attack, telling him he'll meet his end as his wife did. However, the single-legged warrior counters him with Trueno Bastard, a powerful thunder slash! And thus, the first of the 3 executives is down for the count....

...Man, I'm honestly a little disappointed that Diamante is down already. Well, at least it was a nice fight while it lasted. Still, I guess Oda is as eager as the rest of us to get straight to Luffy vs. Dofla already, lol.

Last edited by marvelB; 2015-02-12 at 03:57.
Old 2015-02-12, 03:58   Link #2
marvelB

Summary is updated! One exec down, two more (+Bellamy, I guess) to go....

Edit: Loved the goofy faces Diamante made this chapter, BTW. The Dofla family really does need to have a ministory after this arc is said and done!

Last edited by marvelB; 2015-02-12 at 04:09.
Old 2015-02-12, 06:45   Link #3
LowCholesterol
Teacher : The Awakening

well, it's too bad for top executive to be defeated in one chapter.

FGO ID : 261,201,342. IGN: Manfred
FGO wishlist : i didn't wish anything but a better gacha rate & luck
Old 2015-02-12, 06:56   Link #4
DarkHollowIchigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantsuSister View Post
well, it's too bad for top executive to be defeated in one chapter.
He doesn't deserve any more then that, bye Diamante.
Old 2015-02-12, 07:09   Link #5
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHollowIchigo View Post
He doesn't deserve any more then that, bye Diamante.

I dunno, one would sort of figure he'd last longer than that, considering he was one of Doflamingo's strongest men. I mean, Vergo was an executive too, yet he certainly didn't go down as quickly at Punk Hazard. And this is just a personal gripe of mine, but Diamante had my favorite design of the execs, which makes me all the more sad to see him go down already.

Still sorta crossing my fingers that the other guys will last a bit longer, though (at least give Trebol two chapters)!
Old 2015-02-12, 07:12   Link #6
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

I feel like this fight could have been one chapter longer with Robin and Rebecca assisting. I mean, I respect Kyros's wishes here; its been presented in such a way that I can understand his motives without being critical of him. But I feel that Rebecca could have helped while still allowing Kyros's wish to be granted. I also wanted to see more badass Robin. Oh well.

My hopes for fights that last longer than one chapter echo back to the good old days of Alabasta, Skypiea, Water 7 and Thriller Bark. I don't know why Oda has changed his style in regards to fights since the timeskip but I at least hope that Zoro and Luffy's fights have some of the magic from before the timeskip instead having only one special attack per chapter.
Old 2015-02-12, 07:22   Link #7
marvelB

Oh, and for the record, it's not like I have total issues with battles lasting a single chapter. After all, I actually enjoyed Zoro's fight against zombie Ryuuma at Thriller Bark quite a bit (which also lasted a single chapter). But there's a difference in the fact that Ryuuma wasn't hyped over the course of several chapters in the same way as Dofla's execs were, which is the core of my issue with Diamante's case. Kyros' finisher was epic, that's certain, but I would have liked at least another chapter or two for Diamante to display his full might.

....Though come to think of it, I actually don't really have a problem with Pica going down in a single chap. He at least had plenty enough screen time to display his powers since his introduction, after all. But as far as Trebol goes..... heck, we still have no idea who his final opponent will even be, lol.
Old 2015-02-12, 07:42   Link #8
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Oh, and for the record, it's not like I have total issues with battles lasting a single chapter. After all, I actually enjoyed Zoro's fight against zombie Ryuuma at Thriller Bark quite a bit (which also lasted a single chapter).
I don't disagree with that. In fact the Zoro Vs Ryuuma fight is one of my favourites in the series. But I feel like something changed when the timeskip happened. For some reason, there seems to be an unspoken rule that the hero characters are only allowed one new named special attack per chapter. The Ryuuma battle had both Zoro and Ryuuma spamming named special attacks at each other; it was a very active battle. The same could be said for most of the battles in pre timeskip. But post timeskip, the battles have left me wanting something more prolonged.
Old 2015-02-12, 07:58   Link #9
khoa1708
www.kh0a.net

so robin still doesn't fight? sigh...
Old 2015-02-12, 10:13   Link #10
Gintokifan22
Gintoki fan

Honestly, One Piece is starting to feel like a chore to read or watch these days. Sorry Oda, used to love your work a lot, you used to keep me entertained the most but. Did really need to see this? I'm freakin laughing right now, people saying Fairy Tail is better than One Piece right and not to insult it by comparing the two, that is a first man. People are saying Seven Deadly Sins are better, maybe I should give that series a try I've been hearing good reviews on that series.

All these important fights off screen, just UGH! I know I'm going to get fans angry by saying this as a lot of people around here hate Kubo's writing but this is what it felt like, felt like I was reading a chapter of Bleach, that was hard of me to say.

Fans are going to say, than stop reading and don't post here. All I have to say is, it's Freedom of speech and if I don't like it I should be able to write negative reviews on a series if I want. To Hell, I'm not the only One Piece fan comparing the two that's when you know things are bad.

Ask for why I continue reading, call it a habit. You get so used to reading a series you loved in the past that's hard to just drop and I am curious but dreading how Luffy V.S Dof will work. We've still got Zoro V.S Pica left, longest off screen fight ever! Bet when we get to the actual finish Zoro will slice him in half like all of his other Time skip fights and be clueless why it took so long like the fandom is.

On top of that we also have Luffy V.S Bellamy to look forward to still, oh joy. That first glance at that fight was painful to read, Luffy's two year training for this? Please impress me in your fight with Dof Luffy, I've been disapointed with how this arc has been treating him, tournament started off promising and was thinking " Finally an arc that can show how awesome he is and has become! " Nope, all these random side characters that will no longer appear again after this arc till the final War finishing characters easy that Luffy had a hard time with WTF?! It will be ironic if Hiro does a better job showing off one year Natsu's strength compared to this.

Sorry for the rant, hey at least it looks like we don't have another break next week that's a positive right? At least I have Yugioh Arc V to look forward to, that series has been amazing so far. Heck, I've been watching a few Anime lately that has had me in stitches and better than this, which makes me sad

Pairings I support : Ed x winry. Ash x Serena. Endou x Natsumi. Ginta x Dorothy fan. Luffy x Hancock. Akito x Yurika fan. Gintoki x Tysuki. Boruto X Sumire.
Old 2015-02-12, 10:28   Link #11
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
It would have been nice to give a few chapters just focused on this one. But at least this fight has been spread over a few different chapters so it didn't just start here. Not an ideal result, but better than nothing I guess. It is odd that we get chapters on things we don't care about like Luffy and Bellamy, but so little for fights for the rest of the straw hats. What is the harm in giving other characters some time to flesh out their fights?

At least Kyros managed to tae care of Diamante. Certainly had a lot of rage to point at this guy for a lot of years. Taking care of this and finally helping to open up a future for Rebecca where she has the ability to walk a path that doesn't have her fighting for her life the whole way.

As to this chapter I was fine with it. Diamante had some troublesome attacks and it did take a lot of effort for Kyros to overcome him. Even with one leg the guy managed to grab the win.
Old 2015-02-12, 11:17   Link #12
Rawrz
Redbeard Has Blood Logia!

And here I thought that Jyabura was a joke villain. This overhyped idiot didnt even require an actual SH member to get defeated.

Now Im sure that next weeks gonna be another boring episode of how Zoro slashes Pica to death with his new strike.
Old 2015-02-12, 12:07   Link #13
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

Robin didn't fight again... sigh..

but I think Kyros would not survive as well... He might die in next chapter
Standing on iron balls rain require more than life energy to handle it

Since Rebecca's hands still pure.. she would for sure become next queen
She is the Vivi of Red Line
Old 2015-02-12, 12:24   Link #14
Blackbeard D. Kuma

I think most people here would agree that this arc could have gotten through the same content in less chapters. The pacing hasn't been the greatest. And because this is such a long arc, Oda is now rushing these fights.

Don't really care for Franky passing out from exhaustion. Against Senor Pink of all people? After two years of training I expect more from him. Doffy's officers aren't all that much to begin with.
Old 2015-02-12, 12:33   Link #15
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Bastard~

The name itself....
Old 2015-02-12, 14:08   Link #16
itachi-san314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gintokifan22 View Post
Honestly, One Piece is starting to feel like a chore to read or watch these days. Sorry Oda, used to love your work a lot, you used to keep me entertained the most but. Did really need to see this?
I was mostly bored with fishman island, and I'm mostly bored with dressrosa (if anything, it's taking WAY too long for such a linear story), but I absolutely loved punk hazard. that felt like a crazy, funny, creative story typical of old school one piece. I really hope the next arc will be similar to that one. I also really enjoyed the law flashback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Yami~ View Post
Robin didn't fight again... sigh..
it's very disappointing for me as well. i couldn't be happier that this diamante fight is over. pica will be boring as well. at this point it's all about trebol and mingo for me, then onto the next arc please. i feel like i'm wading through quicksand getting through this one.

Quote:
but I think Kyros would not survive as well... He might die in next chapter
Standing on iron balls rain require more than life energy to handle it
I don't think there's much of a chance he will die. his character went through way to much to get screwed again. this dressrosa story has been majorly depressing. it has to end on a happy note.

is there any chance viola will join the SHs? Her power is pretty unique. and it would certainly change the sanji dynamic if he got married. nami might actually get jealous haha
Old 2015-02-12, 16:08   Link #17
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by philip72 View Post
None, currently she's the sole heir to the throne of Dressrosa. Rebecca's ineligible because her mother basically renounced her rights before she was born.
Viola would have made a fantastic lookout though.
Considering everything that's happened and how badly the public has treated Rebecca, I'm not sure anyone would really complain about the legal issues of her becoming an heir to the throne. In a sense none of them are eligible considering the ruling family was overthrown by Doflamingo.

But at the same time I still don't see her leaving. That whole extended family needs to spend time together after all that's happened. Plus we can't actually have someone on the Straw Hats crew that might not be entirely against Sanji's advances .
Old 2015-02-12, 16:14   Link #18
itachi-san314

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip72 View Post
None, currently she's the sole heir to the throne of Dressrosa. Rebecca's ineligible because her mother basically renounced her rights before she was born.
like FlareKnight said, I doubt that any past instances will hold any water when doflamingo is finally ousted. I'm sure that rebecca, kyros and the king will all be accepted again by the people of dressrosa and welcomed back to lead the kingdom again. many of the toys who were freed still consider them to be the true royalty anyway.

Quote:
Viola would have made a fantastic lookout though.
her power is extremely useful and i could see her leaving the kingdom to kyros and rebecca. unlike they who were shunned, she was actually a part of the reign of terror (albeit unwillingly). i could see her wanting to get away. and as much of a change as it would be, it would be interesting if sanji actually got a woman for once.
Old 2015-02-12, 16:41   Link #19
Rainbowman

With Diamante down will we go to Pica or Trebol?
Old 2015-02-12, 17:00   Link #20
J4n1

Not the best chapter, but whatever.
Problem with current arc is the pacing, too manu subplöots going on, and not all of them that interesting.
Once we're done with flashbacks (this arc has too many flashbacks, i hate flashbacks), and finish the current lieutenant fights, maybe we can get moving (and find out what is happening with Sanji and others).

Punk Hazard sucked as well, until we hit the final leg that was non stop action (same for Fishman Island arc to be honest).
Closed Thread