AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hayate no Gotoku

Notices

Old 2014-02-05, 10:48   Link #9921
AstroNerdBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmac View Post
Goodbye plane chapter, you had no relevance after all.
No relevance yet. Hina's whole, "If I make it through this alive, I'll confess to Hayate-kun" is the part that I think will come into play down the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCAL View Post
I very much liked how they keep showing Nagi's increased maturity without completely changing her tsun personality.
Yep, I agree. I felt that this would be the way that Hata-sensei would go. Nagi is still Nagi, but a bit more mature.

Quote:
And I had to lol that Hata used the first season censor. He really does like the anime of his work.
All of them?

I did watch the first anime series before reading the manga, after which, I couldn't watch the anime again (the manga being far superior IMO). But the less said about Cuties, the better.

Still, I did crack a big smile at the use of that "can't show this" sign in this chapter. ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampDream View Post
I wonder if the first page will mean something?
My chapter review won't go up until tomorrow, but based on the hairstyle of the silhouetted woman, I'm hoping this is Yukariko. I went back to CTMEOY and I didn't see their proposal done in that anime series, only their meeting followed by a bit of their romance, and then their wedding.

Quote:
She certainly would. One might venture that it's rather convenient for her to currently be in the form she first met Ikusa in, even. I think I'm more invested in her reunion with him then Hayate's all things considered.
I agree. While Hayate may have been consoled by Ikusa after leaving Ah-tan, it was Ikusa who rescued the completely devastated Ah-tan from the Royal Garden. That's a tale we haven't seen yet, so I want to know more details about it.

As to the wharf roaches, I'm with the rest of you guys who had no clue what those were. Curse of the sea god indeed. ^_^

It is a bummer that next week is a break week, but I'm glad the story moves forward, ever so slightly.

--> AstroNerdBoy on YouTube! - Where I mostly do gaming videos. Help me hit my subscription goals by subscribing today! 😁

--> AstroNerdBoy on Twitch! - Currently, streaming every Friday night at 9pm ET/6pm PT. Impromptu streams when FGO events are going on. Love to see you there! 😆

AstroNerdBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-05, 11:37   Link #9922
madmac

Quote:
Yep, I agree. I felt that this would be the way that Hata-sensei would go. Nagi is still Nagi, but a bit more mature.
I really like how Nagi's character development is being handled, too. Staying true to her character while still moving forward is great.

Quote:
All of them?

I did watch the first anime series before reading the manga, after which, I couldn't watch the anime again (the manga being far superior IMO). But the less said about Cuties, the better.
Heh. Not to start a derail but I find it interesting how many people seem to like CTMEOY or Cuties but not both.

Personally, I wasn't a huge fan of Cuties but I find it hard to be offended by it. The concept of a "best of" collection of one-off chapters was solid but it was brought down by being rather low-effort all around.

Anyway, Sign Boy was funny. Was it really the first time he showed up in the manga? I guess I've watched the first season too many times and it's overwritten my memory of some chapters.
madmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-06, 08:31   Link #9923
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
I really like how Nagi's character development is being handled, too. Staying true to her character while still moving forward is great.
Interesting. I thought that the original line was sarcastic.

Can anyone explain to me how her refusal to leave bed due to a "curse" is in any way more "mature" than what she did in the past?
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-06, 09:07   Link #9924
madmac

Quote:
Interesting. I thought that the original line was sarcastic.

Can anyone explain to me how her refusal to leave bed due to a "curse" is in any way more "mature" than what she did in the past?
The part where she was gungho about going to the beach to look for Hayate's brother even though the information was sketchy and he was dragging his feet?

Or the part where she (a) was only doing it for Hayate's benefit, not hers and (b) Was able to convey those feelings to Hayate in a way he understood despite being a little embarrassed about it?

Or possibly the part where she told him not to wait around for her and get out there so he could meet his brother sooner?

This isn't rocket science. Nagi is showing a lot of empathy and consideration here even if she's personally still kinda lazy. Which is fine! There's no pressing reason Nagi needs to be at the beach stand in person so it's not like she's dragging everyone else down by not tagging along.

That said, Hayate will probably stay with her a bit so team girl squad has time to investigate on their own before the main characters get involved.

Quote:
That is still Nagi being Nagi. She didn't become some new character, so she's still going to have moments like this because that's who she is.

The maturity part comes from her reason for coming on this beach trip (and remember, going on trips isn't really something she particularly enjoys). Hayate proposed the idea of seeing if Ikusa is at this beach location as a means of getting Nagi back into her mansion. Nagi's reason is to simply reunite Hayate with his brother. The mansion aspect plays no part. I find that to be a mature, unselfish reason for going on this trip.
Precisely.

Last edited by madmac; 2014-02-06 at 11:21.
Old 2014-02-06, 09:46   Link #9925
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
The part where she was gungho about going to the beach to look for Hayate's brother even though the information was sketchy and he was dragging his feet?
Is entirely consistent with her old personality. She's always been easy to motivate for something that she decides she wants to do for whatever reason. Her weakness is her inability to persevere once he hits a snag. Like here - she's already out of the project and back in bed.

Quote:
Or the part where she (a) was only doing it for Hayate's benefit, not hers [...]
Not unusual either. She's always been genuinely good to him.

Quote:
and (b) Was able to convey those feelings to Hayate in a way he understood despite being a little embarrassed about it?
I'll give you this one.

Quote:
Or possibly the part where she told him not to wait around for her and get out there so he could meet his brother sooner?
*lol* Are you serious? She isn't interested in that, she wants to stay in bed, that's all. This interest supersedes anything else. Finding silly explanations/justifications for her laziness and refusal to go through with her "on a whim" projects has been a defining trait of her character - just like it is here. Unless you think that the "roach curse" is a valid reason for staying in bed.

Quote:
This isn't rocket science. Nagi is showing a lot of empathy and consideration here even if she's personally still kinda lazy. Which is fine! There's no pressing reason Nagi needs to be at the beach stand in person so it's not like she's dragging everyone else down by not tagging along.
Naah. This is typical Nagi reverted to her Hikikomori roots. Once more, she starts a great capricious initiative ("Find Hayate's brother" very much like "Visit nature!" or "Join the kendo club!" or "Write a manga which sells a trillion times"), but with the _single_ exception of the manga competition, where she persevered against adverse circumstances, she is now back in bed. Again. In other words, a typical regression.

Sorry. I respectfully disagree that this chapter reflects a growth in maturity. Maybe a growth in the ability to express herself? We'll see. But other than that - no.
Old 2014-02-06, 10:27   Link #9926
AstroNerdBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
That is still Nagi being Nagi. She didn't become some new character, so she's still going to have moments like this because that's who she is.

The maturity part comes from her reason for coming on this beach trip (and remember, going on trips isn't really something she particularly enjoys). Hayate proposed the idea of seeing if Ikusa is at this beach location as a means of getting Nagi back into her mansion. Nagi's reason is to simply reunite Hayate with his brother. The mansion aspect plays no part. I find that to be a mature, unselfish reason for going on this trip.

@madmac -- Excellent points. ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
*lol* Are you serious? She isn't interested in that, she wants to stay in bed, that's all. This interest supersedes anything else. Finding silly explanations/justifications for her laziness and refusal to go through with her "on a whim" projects has been a defining trait of her character - just like it is here. Unless you think that the "roach curse" is a valid reason for staying in bed.
I disagree that this was an "on a whim" project, at least in a traditional sense. What just happened prior to Nagi deciding to do this trip? She saw Ruka reunited with her parents. Considering that Nagi is an orphan, this is a very powerful thing to her as she can never be reunited with her parents, and she has no other family.

Hayate may have parents, but he may as well be an orphan considering how evil they are. However, Nagi hears that Hayate's brother might be down at this beach location. So, she gets off her lazy butt, organizes a trip to the beach (and who's paying for all this, I might ask), but rather than do this so she can get back to her pampered life in the mansion, she does it so that Hayate can be reunited with a family member.

To me, that's the maturity. Nagi isn't doing this trip on a selfish whim. Yes, Nagi is still Nagi -- lazy, a shut-in, etc. That's as it should be. Overcoming her weaknesses to do something for someone else is what trumped, at least for me. ^_^

Well, we'll see what else happens in a couple of weeks.

--> AstroNerdBoy on YouTube! - Where I mostly do gaming videos. Help me hit my subscription goals by subscribing today! 😁

--> AstroNerdBoy on Twitch! - Currently, streaming every Friday night at 9pm ET/6pm PT. Impromptu streams when FGO events are going on. Love to see you there! 😆

Old 2014-02-07, 04:30   Link #9927
Mentar
Banned

If I summarize the essence of what you said, I come up with one line: "Nagi is more mature, because this time, her Initiative isn't on a whim, but rather thoughtful, and for the sake of Hayate and not herself". Right? If I missed something, please correct me in a concise way.

What's both funny and sad at the same time is that I can't even agree on this itsy-bitsy little thing. In the past, Nagi has very often started initiatives to help others, especially Hayate. Saving him from the incredibly friendly people. Supporting him in the Butler quest (Butler's Den). Destroying the jewel to "free" Hayate. And and and. Many times. Except that this time, she drops out at the very beginning, not the middle.

Truth is in the eye of the beholder, but what just happened is exactly what I worried about: The one time that Nagi actually _persevered_ and kept fighting on against adversity to the very end (the manga competition) remains the big exception to the rule, and Hata is reverting to the old Hikikomori jokes with her again, _undoing_ the development. Just like I feared/predicted.

Don't get me wrong: I _want_ Nagi to grow. I _want_ Nagi to mature. But in the end, even though our minds _want_ to see gradual developments, Hata will always revert to his templates and forbid meaningful _lasting_ change. Just like with Hina. Just like with Hamster. It just won't stick.

Meh.
Old 2014-02-16, 16:35   Link #9928
Used Can

I don't think the beach trip shows any gained maturity from the previous arc.
Nagi has been doing things like this for Hayate since day 1. Her breaking Hayate's King's Jewel by the end of the Greece Arc being the biggest thing she's done for him.
She's always cared for him a lot. So, this isn't something new.
Old 2014-02-17, 10:10   Link #9929
AstroNerdBoy

New chapter up...with fanservice. ^_~

Old 2014-02-17, 10:53   Link #9930
MCAL

Hah! Chiharu's become such a troll.

Also cameo appearance of the cast of Ika-Musume on Page 13. I lol'd.
MCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-17, 11:19   Link #9931
mitsuganae

Aaaaaaand the harem stupidity begins.

Though the Squid Girl reference was amusing . . .
mitsuganae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-17, 12:47   Link #9932
ChampDream
Alive

Chiharu is trolling Hina so hard.
Old 2014-02-17, 20:44   Link #9933
GDB

That wasn't much of a fanservice chapter considering what I expected from these posts. Didn't even get a naked Hina like we usually do on anniversary chapters.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-17, 21:46   Link #9934
madmac

Quote:
That wasn't much of a fanservice chapter considering what I expected from these posts. Didn't even get a naked Hina like we usually do on anniversary chapters.
I kinda agree. It's not so much that it's overly racey as the fact that there's no getting around Hata obviously devoting a lot of space to nothing but the girls posing in their swimsuits.

For what it is it's a reasonably entertaining chapter. I do like Chiharu's trolling and the squid girls references, but mostly just looking forward to the next one.

Going to be Big Bro this time, I think. Mysterious figure has got that deadly serious about trivial things vibe that Lifesavers Ikusa has.

Edit: I suppose I'll be the one to point out that the color page is announcing that they will announce a new "10 year celebration" project in March when the next volume is released.

Last edited by madmac; 2014-02-18 at 05:58.
Old 2014-02-18, 02:17   Link #9935
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

That mysterious figure.... must be... Chiharu
or that mysterious girl that appeared in the beginning

A-tan in kimono is glorious cute and pretty
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-23, 23:44   Link #9936
AstroNerdBoy

In a testament to how slow the plot moves (as if we didn't know), when I got Viz's release of volume 23 (they are up to 39 in Japan...bloody Viz), I laughed out loud because Athena's flashback took place shortly after she was freed from the Royal Garden. The recent flashback in the raw took place just prior to her being imprisoned in the Royal Garden.

Man, the stuff in those few pages of volume 23, combined with the stuff we know now, I marvel that Hata-sensei can keep track of these plot threads that takes years and years to pan out. ^_^;;;

The other thing in volume 23 that recently came up was Mikado's conversation with Hayate. It seemed clear to me that Mikado certainly remembered Hayate from their encounter when Hayate was a little boy, even dropping hints (which Hayate didn't pick up on) to remind Hayate of that event. Funny, even now that Hayate remembers the event, he still doesn't know it was Mikado he met as a child.

Anyway, just some thoughts after I read volume 23 while waiting for the new chapter to come out. ^_^

Old 2014-02-24, 12:15   Link #9937
Toma.Kamijo

Spoiler for spoiler 441:
Toma.Kamijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-24, 17:54   Link #9938
AstroNerdBoy

I wish I had access to spoiler images for this manga to help promote it more. I guess I should try to look and see if anyone shares these.

Old 2014-02-25, 04:37   Link #9939
Breimoon

big brother likes to use female clothes?
Breimoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-25, 04:42   Link #9940
Eleutheria
旅行癖

both brothers like to use female clothes, and look good.

I don't have much hope that this is actually his brother, given how much we've been trolled over the years

Tags
comedy, shounen