AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Monogatari Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Monogatari Series Second Series - Episode 15 Rating
Perfect 10 10 34.48%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 5 17.24%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 41.38%
7 out of 10 : Good 0 0%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 3.45%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 3.45%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2013-11-01, 21:37   Link #1
Kairin
AnimeSuki's Mascot

Monogatari Series Second Season - Episode 15 Discussion / Poll (Shinobu Time II)

Welcome to the discussion thread for Monogatari Series Second Season, Episode 15.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers or hints about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message, or seek out a more appropriate thread.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on-topic.
  • Do not post multiple times in a row. Please edit your existing post if you wish to add additional thoughts.
Episode Thread Spoiler Policy
  • Any comment that discloses events, characters, plot or other information before it is revealed in the anime is expressly forbidden whether or not it is behind spoiler tags.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
    Please consult the AnimeSuki Spoiler Policy for more information.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a useful title!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any inappropriate spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting inappropriate spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Kairin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-02, 10:30   Link #2
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

I had a feeling since the beginning that they were gonna use stitches to show Shinobu's story.

Also

NSFW
Warning: Not safe to view at work or school!
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
When did we invent high heels? I feel we have a historical inconsistency here.

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2013-11-02 at 19:46.
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-02, 10:33   Link #3
ultimate_noob
Skwid Fan

The ancient slideshow scrolls of shaft. Those pictures where very nice to look at. Especially dat one kisshot picture.

EDIT: Nice one, omimon! You caught it!
ultimate_noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-02, 10:43   Link #4
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by omimon View Post
Funny enough, high heels are ancient. But of course the ones she is wearing are modern. Funny enough the Rider's Heel first appeared in the 1600's, which is just around the time Heart Under Blade was made into a vampire. Coincidence?
Old 2013-11-02, 13:22   Link #5
Romanticide

that was an interesting ep. nice to see the first, though i wanted to see his face. the style o animation for that time period was cool.
Romanticide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-02, 14:12   Link #6
Raymondjram

This story was very different. The paintings were well done, and as Shinobu narrated her story, the paintings were moving to show the images of her narration. Some may not like this, because we see only Shinobu and Koyomi in the anime yet her narrations has other persons that we will never meet.

The nude Kiss-Shot was not expected. But it is really out of place with those white shoes! I saw one picture of her in color that was based on the only drawing of Kiss-Shot that exists in the light novel, where she was at Antarctica with the hand of the other character. It was so fast that many would not recognized it. I wish I could see an animated Kiss-Shot (and hear her adult voice) as she was shown at the end of Kabukimonogatari.

BTW, Shinbu expressed about polar bears and penguins at the beginning. For those who didn't know it, the name "Antarctica" means opposite to Arctica, where polar bears are local and unique to the region. So there are no polar bears in Antarctica. If this was written by Nisio Isin, he was wrong.

Now the Monogatari fans know where the famous "Kokorowatari" blade came from. I knew it from the novel. Koyomi mentioned that Kiss-Shot saved him from burning in the sun when he was a full vampire, and that is part of Kizumonogatari. We need that novel animated to understand all these comments and hints that have appeared in the other stories.
Raymondjram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-02, 14:18   Link #7
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

I am curious about the relatively tiny short sword the guy had next to the giant blade. I have a pet theory that it might be important, but it is mostly my private fanon.
Old 2013-11-02, 14:28   Link #8
FelynxTiger
くすぐ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
I am curious about the relatively tiny short sword the guy had next to the giant blade. I have a pet theory that it might be important, but it is mostly my private fanon.
Well the long sword its the Kokorowatari and the short one is Yumewatari *.*
FelynxTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-02, 14:54   Link #9
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelynxTiger View Post
Well the long sword its the Kokorowatari and the short one is Yumewatari *.*
I basically rushed through most of the novels in Chinese so I might have missed it. Anyway, as I say my fanon is that the tiny short sword could be a Chekhov's gun for the finale.
Old 2013-11-02, 17:23   Link #10
shinyaNakagawa
Lifeless shut-in

I feel weird.
The episode was good anyway.
shinyaNakagawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-02, 22:07   Link #11
DorkingtonPugsly

Was good, got to see more kisshot, but I guess just having the scrolling thing was just kind of a bit slow. Wasn't as impactful as when I read it.
Old 2013-11-02, 22:47   Link #12
VoidMiracle

KizuFkenWhen?
VoidMiracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-03, 00:56   Link #13
DorkingtonPugsly

Actually liked the first piece of music they played. It was good, will look forward to it.
Old 2013-11-03, 06:24   Link #14
Dodgers

The usage of still shots may seem cheap at first, but I actually liked how they constantly switched back and forth between western and eastern drawing styles to match the story Shinobu told, which was fairly interesting with how she was worshipped as a god and actually helped people, instead of just wandering around and sucking people's blood every once in a while.

If I had to make a guess based on this episode, I'd say the reason the "darkness" appeared was because Shinobu was acknowledged as something entirely else than she was (let alone at a time when vampires apparently weren't known in Japan at all), and the fact that the people around her area dissappeared makes me even more suspicious.
Dodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-03, 11:35   Link #15
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Aw, no OP.

Nonetheless, it was an awesome episode. More Shinobu is always welcome.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-03, 11:42   Link #16
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Shaft is one of those rare studios that can make a slide show work. This might have been done due to budget constraint, but I thought it was actually pretty clever and artistic to tell Shinobu's story like that. I loved it.

The circumstances of her first minion's birth were quite different from what I had imagined. When reading Kizu, I had been under the impression she deeply loved him and that's why she turned him but in reality it was a rather impulsive decision.

The dark ball of doom remains very mysterious. It seems like it appears because Shinobu was playing god, but if that's the case then why did it appear again now? Is it trying to finish the job it started 400 years ago?

Quote:
I had a feeling since the beginning that they were gonna use stitches to show Shinobu's story.

Also

NSFW
Who cares about the heels? Just look at her!
Old 2013-11-04, 03:18   Link #17
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
NSFW
Yes, that screenshot was captured solely for the sake of demonstrating the historical inconsistency at play about high heels. Good observation!

This episode once again yells and screams why I like this series so much. Shinobu was telling a story. And it is a pretty boring story, but the visual and the music comes together to make the storytelling so compelling. I was so entrenched. Loved every minute of it.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-04, 10:57   Link #18
00Coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
This episode once again yells and screams why I like this series so much. Shinobu was telling a story. And it is a pretty boring story, but the visual and the music comes together to make the storytelling so compelling. I was so entrenched. Loved every minute of it.
This episode highlights probably the thing I like most about SHAFT.

They can tell a story.

Despite their oddities, quirks and fixations, most of the time they nail the storytelling. A proper storyteller can make a good story great, and even make a weak or boring story enjoyable. Not many companies do it as well as SHAFT. Some have better technical execution, most have better time management, but SHAFT takes voice work, backgrounds, sometimes uses animation, music and edits it together into something that is far stronger than the sum of the parts.

Or perhaps I like their brand of insanity.
00Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-04, 13:57   Link #19
Shikijin

I just want to clarify something: in the book the chapters where Shinobu told her story were written in a particular style (ie there was the opening quotation mark at the beginning of each sentence but no closing quotation mark). Between these chapters there were the other chapters where Araragi and Shinobu talked. Shaft rendered the story chapters with still pictures, contrasted with normal animation for the Araragi and Shinobu scenes. I think it was very well done.
Shikijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-04, 19:04   Link #20
dmaxzero

Loved the chapter.
Finally read Kizu and damn... This whole thing feels somewhat complemented.
dmaxzero is offline   Reply With Quote