AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Majutsu no Index

Notices

Old 2013-08-22, 21:24   Link #4301
omega253

Go check the To Aru Wiki or read the Light Novels. Acqua is undoubtedly one of the most awesome characters in the series. And that's saying a lot, considering people like Ollerus or Archangel Gabriel.
Old 2013-08-23, 22:23   Link #4302
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyidiot78 View Post
Ah sounds cool. I've only seen index season 1 and 2 plus season one of rail gun so I don't know who aqua of the back really is and I went with what I thought would be cool or funny or pulling it out of my but when i got stuck
Aqua of the Back appeared in the second last episode of Index II.

He's the guy who picked up Vent of the Front after she was defeated.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-24, 03:47   Link #4303
Welsh_Dragon
The Red Dragon Emperor

Aqua was mad OPed before he was eventually defeated by Touma and the Kamijou Brigade (Amakusas + Fallen Angel Ero Maid). The guy curb stomped 50 trained Amakusa, Touman and outmatched Kanzaki. Too bad we will never see him like that again.
Welsh_Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-24, 05:23   Link #4304
omega253

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh_Dragon View Post
Aqua was mad OPed before he was eventually defeated by Touma and the Kamijou Brigade (Amakusas + Fallen Angel Ero Maid). The guy curb stomped 50 trained Amakusa, Touman and outmatched Kanzaki. Too bad we will never see him like that again.
He's still pretty awesome, even after he gets weakened.
Old 2013-08-24, 06:35   Link #4305
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Two interesting fanfics that i found.

A Certain Military Academy

An AU fanfic where the espers are trained as military operatives.

Redux

A "What if?" fanfic where both Touma and Kuroko lost their memories that night.
Old 2013-08-24, 12:46   Link #4306
agetreme
Just another Idiot

I had an interesting idea this time, inspired a little by the book from Soul Sacrifice.

What seems to be an Interactive story (reveal itself or alter its contents as things goes by):

When a special power (Fate altering) activated, some chapter will become affected (AKA edited). Effectively means the story is rewritten (suit my procrastinating personality ) and the story is a little different than it originally begin.

Also, the original characters can meet Canon cast, interact with them as many time as possible. OC and Canon cast can pull off some heroic stunt but any death, memory, injuries will be erased because event has been altered and therefore never existed in the first place. (Imagine Breaker might save Touma from being erased but it could not protect Touma from being affected by altered event (including memory))

Rinse and repeat.....Rinse and repeat...rinse and repeat.

Did I mention that the main lead will actually retain memories? (implication apply) :Evil laugh:

Action Plan:
First (As in "official" timeline of the story) Cycle: Boring school life stuff (deliberately starting off as classical and cliched high School romance)

Also with a few dummy chapters (either single sentence("Details are fuzzy but we lose the Daihaseisai")/boring stuff ("I take a potato chip....and....EAT IT!") or"I can't remember what happen") until shit hit the fan (this is the academy city after all.... nothing happening is weird).

=

Spoiler for Opening for First chapter (after event being altered):

The medium (like Misaki's remote control) used to change fate is Writting brush..... being used like knife (slashing movement..... as if correcting mistake by striking words out).

The joke is taking the concept of pen is mightier than sword too literally. Also using stationary as weapons (to be fair, if your life is in danger, anything goes).
Old 2013-08-24, 21:19   Link #4307
omega253

Twist of Fate Chapter 4 is updated.

http://m.fanfiction.net/s/9539513/4/Twist-of-Fate
Old 2013-08-25, 11:53   Link #4308
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega253 View Post
Twist of Fate Chapter 4 is updated.

http://m.fanfiction.net/s/9539513/4/Twist-of-Fate
lol. Such misfortune.
Old 2013-08-25, 11:57   Link #4309
demino_hellsin
That one guy

Spoiler for Character dump:

Last edited by demino_hellsin; 2013-08-25 at 12:18.
demino_hellsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-25, 13:35   Link #4310
Ashaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega253 View Post
You might just hate me now.

In Memoriam Chapter 7 is released.
http://m.fanfiction.net/s/9442823/7/In-Memoriam
Why do parts of this read as though all the magic and humor has been sucked out of the original series?
Old 2013-08-25, 13:40   Link #4311
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashaman View Post
Why do parts of this read as though all the magic and humor has been sucked out of the original series?
Because they have. This is supposed to be a complete rewrite of Index after all, since the author was unhappy with how the series went. It's barely Index at all, more like Dresden Files in the Indexverse. I like Dresden Files, but not in that context.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-25, 15:33   Link #4312
Ilidsor
Angelerator

That's the reason I never read rewrites that significantly change the way the world works. The changes are always for the worse. Also it just irks me that the writer thinks they know better then the original creator.
Old 2013-08-25, 16:40   Link #4313
Ashaman

I wouldn't mind as much, except for the fact that some of the changes so far barely make sense from an in-universe perspective, seem rather arbitrary at the moment (which admittedly can't be helped) and by reading between the lines a bit, you can tell that the writer is someone who has only seen the anime, and possibly read the railgun manga.

So basically they're criticizing a universe they only have a partial understanding of supplemented by wiki info which fails to bring context to the table.
Old 2013-08-25, 16:48   Link #4314
Ilidsor
Angelerator

^That would explain why they (apparently- I don't read it for the reasons I said above) have combined all the magic sides together into one group. If that were to actually happen the magic side would crush the science side like a grape.
Old 2013-08-25, 20:51   Link #4315
R.LocK
My turn

You guys bash In Memoriam way too much. It is a good rewrite with changes being not obnoxious, but quite sensible, if arguable. Also, a miss with novels, because Shockz did read them.
R.LocK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-25, 21:59   Link #4316
demino_hellsin
That one guy

how would it affect indexverse if Index lost all the grimoires?
Old 2013-08-26, 01:01   Link #4317
allfictions
Of Infinite Resignation

Guys, I also think you are way too harsh about this.

First, let's get this straight:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockz himself
I'm not so pretentious or egotistical as to say that this will be the story Index should have been, but it's the story I wanted Index to be
Now that's out of the way, I feel like one of your main complaints is that Shockz seems determined to avoid Japanese Cliched Personalities 101 in this AU, am I right? Well, in my opinion, In Memoriam appears to be a translation from the linguistic medium of "Japanese otaku-oriented light novel franchise" into "English-language urban fantasy set in Japan." Elements that belong only to the former medium are thus jettisoned, to be replaced with elements more appropriate to the latter. So for instance, Engrish? Quite common in Japanese media, but it's got no place here, so the technobabble "An Involuntary Movement" becomes "Involuntary Physical Distortion" and "Level Upper" becomes "Level Plus." 12-to-13-year-olds who act like Kuroko? Creepy by American sensibilities, so the students get an age-up. Characters designed to appeal visually in the illustrations and the hoped-for anime adaptation? Ticking off boxes on the big ol' list of otaku-favored character types? Both non-issues, so the nun habit and the maid uniform go.

The other seems to be about the Magic Side I believe.

Well, he explains it better:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockz
As someone who was raised a right and proper Catholic (and, despite no longer professing the faith, has been working for the Catholic Church for the last three years), I did the same kind of @__@ at canon Index's statement that her habit somehow contained "all the necessary components for a church." Then I went about trying to figure out what the necessary components for a church actually were. Then I tried to figure out how one could MacGyver together those components in as small and mobile a package as possible.

In general, I'm trying to treat Anglicanism, and indeed Christianity in general, with a lot more respect for its traditions and history than canon did. (Well, besides the whole using-magic thing; but you can't really dance around that and still have it be recognizable as the ToAruverse. Hopefully the justification for that, when I get around to talking about it in-story, is a bit more satisfying than "lol necessary evil".)
By the way, that does not mean I support everything in this story, for instance, I don't see what's wrong with ''battle nuns'', and the author freely admits he only watched the anime versions of bot Index and Railgun. However, to his defense, he is currently reading the LNs and seems to have a good impression of New Testament from what he is told (he is not there yet).

All to say, you can enjoy Index, and enjoy this fic. I personally do, and you should too, there is seriously worse rewrite than that.
allfictions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-26, 01:40   Link #4318
FallenHero

Alright, I have a prologue for a fanfiction that I have been entertaining in my head for a while. The premise is that Touma is going to go a journey to learn about his past. Simple. I'm planning on having him learn his past from the perspective of different people and the damaged letters he wrote to his parents. "Unreliable Narrator" is going to be a thing.

The prologue is set in the brief moment he reunites with Index at the end of the 22th Volume. I wanted to show his inner thoughts in this piece and show what lead to him wanting to pursue his lost past. I will admit right now that I am not delusional enough to believe that I'm a good writer. Any suggestions and criticism would be wonderful.

Spoiler for Prologue Draft:
FallenHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-26, 01:46   Link #4319
demino_hellsin
That one guy

spelling error, probably from rush typing but pretty good.
Old 2013-08-26, 01:55   Link #4320
Ashaman

The thing is allfictions, I don't mind the Engrish being sorted out, or the characters aged up.

Take Maika for example. I don't mind that she's no longer a Maid. What gets me is that she's swapped the Maid cliche for the computer/hacker genius cliche. Its swapping and cliche for a cliche, and what's worse is that we've got the same skill set in Uiharu.

Then there is the Touma is a Level 1 deal and how IPD works, and the more I think on it, the less sense it makes.

And then there is Index with her magic and that's great, but it knee-jerks my reaction into think "Oh, so while you've made everyone else more competent, you've made the antagonists less competent"

Tags
character, crack, crossover ideas, discussion, fanfiction