AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Majutsu no Index

Notices

View Poll Results: To Aru Majutsu no Index - Episode 8 Rating
Perfect 10 5 14.29%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 7 20.00%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 34.29%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 20.00%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 2.86%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 8.57%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2008-11-25, 13:21   Link #1
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

To Aru Majutsu no Index - Episode 8 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for To Aru Majutsu no Index, Episode 8.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
Spoiler Policy
  • Any spoiler that reveals future events, even under a spoiler tag, will be deleted.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    to locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Skyfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-25, 13:38   Link #2
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Okay, I'll be honest. Once Touma lost his memory, I've become depressed. The possibility of a Touma x Index pairing seems so far away right now....

While I know Touma is hiding the truth to protect Index, in the long run I think it will bring more harm than good. What happens when she finds out? What then?

Anyway, this episode was "okay" in my opinion. Not the greatest by any means, and they really haven't clarified anything about the alchemist, his connection to the vampires, the shrine maiden, or just about anything that I really want to know. This episode didn't too all that much to advance any plot, in my opinion, so I'm giving it a 7/10.
Old 2008-11-25, 13:40   Link #3
JMvS
Rawrrr!

Very good episode.

Spoiler for spoiler:
Old 2008-11-25, 15:05   Link #4
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Awesome episode... for comedy. The story was like that, but the comedy was top-notch.
I mean, Mega-art-quality collapsed run+The most incredibly worst sense in SE for the tower scene was way too funny... Almost suffocated.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-25, 15:48   Link #5
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
Okay, I'll be honest. Once Touma lost his memory, I've become depressed. The possibility of a Touma x Index pairing seems so far away right now....

While I know Touma is hiding the truth to protect Index, in the long run I think it will bring more harm than good. What happens when she finds out? What then?

Anyway, this episode was "okay" in my opinion. Not the greatest by any means, and they really haven't clarified anything about the alchemist, his connection to the vampires, the shrine maiden, or just about anything that I really want to know. This episode didn't too all that much to advance any plot, in my opinion, so I'm giving it a 7/10.
Know how you feel on that. While I'm not really pushing for a ToumaxIndex pairing necessarily it is still something to think about. Definitely on the Index side important memories as he got closer to her were lost. Now he's trying to figure out his relationship with everything. Well he'll just have to start from scratch and try to find an identity for himself.
Old 2008-11-25, 19:54   Link #6
SkoolRumble4Ya

Finally Index got its own sub forum it's about time.
SkoolRumble4Ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-25, 19:54   Link #7
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

Lizardo has impressive hax, restoring the building like that. One has to wonder just what everybody would have done if that magical blast attack had worked. And what were they hoping to accomplish, anyway? Forget about Himegami and just nuke 'em from orbit, just to be sure? What exactly has Lizardo done to merit such attacks?

Reposting from general thread just because.

9000 hours in MSPaint. Superior magic wand.

That's a 100 yen shot right there.

And once again Touma sends Firestarter flying an impressive distance.

Old 2008-11-25, 20:01   Link #8
Orchunter226
Is rather bored...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneDragon View Post
Lizardo has impressive hax, restoring the building like that. One has to wonder just what everybody would have done if that magical blast attack had worked.
I was thinking that, too.

I mean, let's say it HAD worked. I don't think those knights thought that through carefully. That building would have collapsed, not only injuring innocent bystanders, but in all likelihood killing them as well. And, it's not like the public isn't going to notice a HUGE BUILDING suddenly missing from the area. Plus, wouldn't they kill Deep Blood, the thing they are after?

But I guess in a world with super magic, all that is a moot point since magic can explain away ANYTHING.
Orchunter226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-26, 01:29   Link #9
Utau
Butler mitai~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Utau
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneDragon View Post

That's a 100 yen shot right there.
my thoughts exactly

EDIT:
now i truly believe she's not a Miko-san, simply because of that delicious scene

something was missing, right?

btw, getting a subforum at this time.. great
Utau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-26, 03:05   Link #10
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchunter226 View Post

I mean, let's say it HAD worked. I don't think those knights thought that through carefully. That building would have collapsed, not only injuring innocent bystanders, but in all likelihood killing them as well. And, it's not like the public isn't going to notice a HUGE BUILDING suddenly missing from the area. Plus, wouldn't they kill Deep Blood, the thing they are after?

But I guess in a world with super magic, all that is a moot point since magic can explain away ANYTHING.

Naturally, you assume their mission was to recover Deep Blood while in fact we haven't been told what their objective is.

Inevitably, you assume they care about the lives of innocent bystanders.

Evidently, at that point you can be sure that somebody is going to use a cover story to hide the truth.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-26, 03:20   Link #11
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchunter226 View Post

Their objective is to remove Aureolus. They don't care at all about the pointless (to them) students in that building. They don't really care about much except the mission, really. It's not that they weren't thinking. In the novel, you really see how irritating they are (their lines were cut out)...

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-26, 06:53   Link #12
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Holy crap! Bricks were shat.

Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-26, 16:03   Link #13
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

This series is the very definition of a convoluted plot. At times I can hardly understand what is going on, I should not have to watch scenes more than twice to understand what is going on. For example, the whole coin explanation just had me going "wtf."

I'm glad I'm not watching this series for the plot, or I would have dropped it easily.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-26, 17:06   Link #14
Jaden

Gotta agree with Reckoner. I haven't read the source material but I get the feeling that the story hasn't converted into an anime very well.
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-26, 19:28   Link #15
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

I didn't know it's that hard to understand the concept of inside vs outside In fact, Stiyl had given a few examples throughout the episode.
Old 2008-11-26, 19:35   Link #16
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

On the one hand it's convoluted, yet on the other hand it delivers plot twists with such excessive regularity that I get the feeling that, down the road, it's almost going to become predictable when and where a plot twist comes up. I don't think it's ever going to be completely predictable just what happens in the plot, but if it keeps up with excessive, regular plot twists is going to be harder and harder to swallow any explanations the show gives knowing that they're probably going to be thrown out the window by the end of the next episode.
Old 2008-11-26, 22:59   Link #17
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
I didn't know it's that hard to understand the concept of inside vs outside In fact, Stiyl had given a few examples throughout the episode.
Oh it's not hard to understand that the inside people can't see the outside people or w/e. What was confusing was how this was brought out of nowhere and their explanation for it. I just shook my head at that scene.

@Sorrow-K

The trick won't be to predict when there is a plot twist, but when there isn't .
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-26, 23:23   Link #18
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Oh it's not hard to understand that the inside people can't see the outside people or w/e. What was confusing was how this was brought out of nowhere and their explanation for it. I just shook my head at that scene.
What do you mean brough out of nowhere?

Touma asked how come the students aren't making a fuss out of the corpse, so Stiyl explained that they're on two different 'side'. That is already the general and simplest description of the situation at hand.

I'm sure that there are other metaphors one could use that has the same explaination.
Old 2008-11-27, 05:48   Link #19
SkoolRumble4Ya

This show explains everything about to happen. People need to pay more attention to the screen even if it has too much explanations.
SkoolRumble4Ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-27, 07:38   Link #20
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Of course the show explains everything. No one's really disputing that. The problem is that it's convoluted. Or, another way to put it is that it's excessive. It's excessive with how round-about everything is and its excessive with how many plot twists it has (two or three per episode right now, I'd estimate). It might eventually explain itself, but just because a story makes sense doesn't necessarily make it well plotted. There's a difference between intricate and convoluted.

Another way to look at it is if the story is constantly defying its own explanations, you get to a point where pretty much anything can happen. Logic becomes secondary because the writers are free to realign logic to conform to the events of the plot after the fact. By that point it becomes increasingly difficult to care about what really happens, because everything feels contrived anyway. It's especially bad if the extravagance of the plot comes at the sacrifice of genuine character development.

Mind you, this show is better right now than it was towards the beginning, IMO, when it was weighed down by long bouts of characters talking at each other and Touma's hotbloodedness giving him decision making capabilities that rivaled the current administration. It's tolerable now, but it's still got problems and it's still hardly what I'd call a "good" anime.