AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-10-10, 03:50   Link #1
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Squadron 42: Star Citizen (Chris Robert's New Space Sim)

Otherwise known as "where the hell did this come from?"

You know the days where it was easy to keep game ideas under lock and key until the final announcement? No? Yeah, thought as much. It's been many years since the last closely guarded secret, but hot-damn did this game blindside the web.

We don't know much about it. It's a space sim by Chris Roberts, and the homepage is counting down.

Yes, you heard that. A space-sim. For PC. The dead genre is getting a new star of hope.

Homepage with countdown: http://robertsspaceindustries.com/start/

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go and buy a new joystick.

Last edited by Keroko; 2012-10-10 at 04:47.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-10, 04:08   Link #2
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
homg HOW DID I NOT KNOW THIS IS A THING THAT EXISTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go and buy a new joystick.
This.
Old 2012-10-10, 05:39   Link #3
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

My interest dropped 95% when the words "they said PC gaming was dead" popped up. No offense to PC gamers, I ain't looking to start a fight. I'm just a console guy.

Either way, it looks like a good scifi story. The designs are nice.
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-10, 05:41   Link #4
Kyral
OC Belka Scriptor

Wow! Yeah it definitely has Chris Roberts' stamp, the designs remind me of good ol' WingCommander.

One can hope.
Old 2012-10-10, 09:13   Link #5
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Ha! Entering the homepage requires a passcode. What's the passcode? Well, the password hint tells us its the answer to the ultimate question.
Old 2012-10-10, 09:16   Link #6
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Ha! Entering the homepage requires a passcode. What's the passcode? Well, the password hint tells us its the answer to the ultimate question.
And upon answering and trying to "enlist" or "register" it says ..

"User registration is currently not allowed."
willx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-10, 10:58   Link #7
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

More info and demo stuff.
Old 2012-10-10, 11:00   Link #8
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

Eurogamer article
Quote:
Star Citizen features a dynamic economy and an open world. Roberts describes it as a mash up of Freelancer and Privateer, two of his previous games, and a Wing Commander game. The single-player mode can be played offline or co-op with friends in a similar fashion to the way players impact each other's games in Demon's Souls, he said.
Quote:
Roberts will create Star Citizen without a publisher. He has private investment, but needs to do "an element" of crowd funding to raise between two and four million dollars and validate the private investors' valuation of the project. The game itself will cost between 12 million and 14 million dollars to create.
Release 2014... which gives me time to upgrade my rig because I need this game.

NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-10, 12:49   Link #9
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

i always interesting for Space Sim. but never actually play it

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-10, 13:55   Link #10
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

If he still have the rights to it, he might as well call it World of Wing Commander.
Old 2012-10-10, 16:25   Link #11
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

12 to 14 million dollars? Is that good? You never hear much about a video game's budget, so I have no idea what can be considered a good budget.
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-10, 16:38   Link #12
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

It varies a lot, depending on what you want. Better textures, smoother animations, famous voice actors, it all adds to the budget. In the higher price ranges, we have AAA games that can cost several hundred million dollars. What people don't always realize though, is that a lot of that also includes marketing. If Roberts is going to be relying on word of mouth for the most part, then that would cut his costs a lot.

Still, 12 to 14 million for what he wants to be a "true PC game" with "true PC graphics" is... ambitious to say the least. GTA4 for example cost around a 100 million dollars.
Old 2012-10-10, 16:53   Link #13
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I'll need a new joystick. These new computers don't have ports for my old F16 Combat Stick anymore.
Old 2012-10-10, 18:01   Link #14
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
Quote:
Otherwise known as "where the hell did this come from?"

You know the days where it was easy to keep game ideas under lock and key until the final announcement? No? Yeah, thought as much. It's been many years since the last closely guarded secret, but hot-damn did this game blindside the web.
Sometimes I think quite a few companies (and employees thereof) need to remember such WW2-era maxims as 'Loose Lips Sink Ships'... and every so often I wonder about the viability of poisoning the leak pool with an updated analogue of Operation Mincemeat...

Quote:
We don't know much about it. It's a space sim by Chris Roberts, and the homepage is counting down.

Yes, you heard that. A space-sim. For PC. The dead genre is getting a new star of hope.
Yes, we need more space sims... and what's LucasArts' excuse for letting X-Wing and TIE Fighter rot on the shelf again? On which note I think I'll have to put some more stick time in Project Sylpheed...
Firefly00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-11, 16:06   Link #15
Larthak
♪ ~ ♫
*Artist

Send a message via ICQ to Larthak Send a message via MSN to Larthak
About bloody time! Games like this are so damn rare and unappreciated.

Makes you think whether the dawn of Kickstarter/crowd-sourcing (FTL, Mechwarrior Online, Project Eternity, Squadron 42) and the spotlight on indie games lately mark a new era of gaming, or specifically PC gaming. It's certainly an exciting time for my generation and older gamers to be a part of.

Time to end the publishers' tyrannical rule! >:3
Old 2012-10-11, 16:26   Link #16
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly00 View Post
and what's LucasArts' excuse for letting X-Wing and TIE Fighter rot on the shelf again?
"We're not going to reach Call of Duty numbers so that means the market isn't big enough" maybe. Or they're just being idiots. Given their sheer stubborn refusal to release Battlefront III despite fan demand and terrible decisions in recent years alltogether, I suspect the later.
Old 2012-10-12, 12:13   Link #17
Dop
Mmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly00 View Post
what's LucasArts' excuse for letting X-Wing and TIE Fighter rot on the shelf again?
In a way I don't WANT Lucasarts to update X-Wing and TIE Fighter.
Sure, if you took the old games and updated the graphics and sound but left the story and gameplay exactly the same, that would be absolutely fantastic!

But I suspect that if they did update the old games, they'd ruin them, dumb down the gameplay, add quicktime events or some such nonsense and they wouldn't be the same!

Back on topic, this game makes me think I should buy a PC again!
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-12, 14:53   Link #18
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I sort of wanted a Clone Wars period version of X-Wng. All the other fighter games have either been on rails or had limited enviroment to fight in. The freedom of a space sim in the X-wing series is why I liked them more than the others.

As for Chris Roberts, if this game is like his others, expect either a nearly impossible mission, and/or a mission you will lose no matter what you do for the plot to conintue. He likes there to be a winning and losing path, where the losing path is the more commonly followed, but you can swing back for a win by the end (nearly all the Wing Commander games followed this kind of story telling).
Old 2013-11-28, 16:25   Link #19
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/

How is this game coming along? I saw a video about that Squadron 42 was the storyline introduction to Star Citizen and then after you finish the storyline you can decide were you want to go. Stay in the military, go pirate, merc, trader, privateer, marine, whatever. You just start out as a fighter pilot on a carrier.

Also they have a $1250 USD "reserve a ship"/donation for a huge corvette. Probably the biggest pilotable ship in the game.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/about-the-game
Old 2013-11-28, 16:56   Link #20
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
I am butthurt that this game is a pseudo-MMO and not a single-player, story driven title. I was hoping for a new one since Freespace 2 and Freelancer were the last decent ones I played.