Yes 180 52.63%
No 149 43.57%
Never seen it 13 3.80%
Voters: 342. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2004-05-09, 17:05   Link #1
Spooky-Electric

Is Naruto overrated?

I find it to be enjoyable but I think it is overrated. People who don't even watch anime download and watch Naruto and think it's the best anime ever.
Old 2004-05-09, 17:12   Link #2
hunterx
ore wa kanpeki da

it is very good. The naruto world is very unique and that's what makes it attrative. When I watched 40episodes straights I thought it was one of the very best too. I don't watch it anymore but I think it will be a big hit in the US or for people who don't watch too much anime
Old 2004-05-09, 17:16   Link #3
Kairo

hell yeah, its overrated ..
Old 2004-05-09, 17:17   Link #4
Prince of Chronics
One Piece fan

Naruto is very entertaining... and I find the only people who overrate it are the younger peeps ... that's a given because it is aimed at a younger audience... the show is not ground-breaking at all... but it has qualities that make it an addicting show to watch...
Old 2004-05-09, 17:17   Link #5
Seta

Send a message via ICQ to Seta Send a message via AIM to Seta
It's slightly overrated but I still find it highly enjoyable. There are alot of flaws but Hunterx is right when he said the uniqueness of the Naruto world is what draws people to it.
Old 2004-05-09, 17:54   Link #6
7thMethuselah

Naruto is not overrated it is overhyped

Personally I love it because contrary to similar series, Naruto has completely different characters with completely different abilities and fighting skills. And their is always a well documented background on the presented characters.
Old 2004-05-09, 18:11   Link #7
HoboGod
Necromancer

is the shiow itself the best anime ever made? does it deserve to be liked? the answer to both questions are no, because only I may choose what other people like because i'm a nazi bastard.

/sarcasm off

it appeals to many different types of people, and thusly has a large fan base. many people watch it and thusly the show is successful. the show doesn't get money taken away from them because somebody doesn't like the show. if you don't lke that people like the show, you can kill yourself or if you are really zealous, KILL EVERYONE ELSE. but if you think it should be rated a piece of crap by everyone around you, then you are a nazi-son-of-a-bitch.
Old 2004-05-09, 18:18   Link #8
Hakashin
Mukenin

Send a message via AIM to Hakashin Send a message via Yahoo to Hakashin
This question is pointless. My answer: No. My second answer: Go watch it and decide for yourself.
Old 2004-05-09, 18:40   Link #9
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

I think it is. The only part I really enjoy thoroughly is the comedy/humor. The plot moves along way too slow and (I think) is rather dry. And the battles are like DBZ, in that there's a lot of talking and it takes 5+ episodes for one "good" fight. Not to mention that you never know what's going on. Example

1) Ninja A stabs Ninja B
2) Oh, no, that was Ninja B's bunshin! *POOF* Now Ninja A hits Ninja B with shuriken
3) Ninja B used "Shuriken no hurt me jutsu"! No effect! Now Ninja B disappear in shadows
4) Ninja A summons creature/undead fighter X to attack ninja B
5) Ninja B use illusionary technique to totally trip out ninja A into thinking he's a dancing clown at a carnival
6) Ninja A dies from too many imaginary pies in the face

(Ok, so I exaggerated A LOT in that, but you get the idea. With all these jutsu's going on you never know what's going on in a battle until its over and they explained how the hell they just beat the other guy)
Old 2004-05-09, 19:12   Link #10
Spooky-Electric

Sorry, maybe "overhyped" would have been a better word to use than overrated.

Last edited by Spooky-Electric; 2004-05-09 at 19:21. Reason: change of message
Old 2004-05-09, 19:35   Link #11
Aquillion

I think it's very good at being what it is. It's certinally not the "best show ever" (whatever that means), nor does it particularly go beyond the limitations of the fighting-anime genre; but it does what it's supposed to do pretty well. On one hand, criticizing it for having five-episode fights and other conventions of the genre isn't entirely fair; on the other hand, at the end of the day it's just another fighting anime--a well-made one, as such shows go, but nothing special beyond that.

If you like that kind of show then you'll like it; and if you don't, then you won't. The end.
Old 2004-05-09, 19:43   Link #12
babbito2k
annoying white bat

It was thoughtful to add the "never seen it" button to the poll. Thank you for giving me a chance to participate in your poll.
Old 2004-05-09, 20:46   Link #13
Komataguri
Reverend K-Rist

Send a message via AIM to Komataguri
Naruto is Under Hyped and Under Rated.

Naruto is the best thing since canned sliced bread!
Old 2004-05-09, 20:50   Link #14
Soconfused
Old God Member

Send a message via AIM to Soconfused
No, YOUR overated.

but seriously, it is good. It's not the best anime ever, but it's in my top 10 fave. I really can't see why people would wanna bash it. Theres not much wrong with it.
Old 2004-05-09, 20:53   Link #15
Guts

Send a message via AIM to Guts Send a message via Yahoo to Guts
Summery of naruto eps x-y

Teh Ninjas starts to fight. 1 ninja does a special technique, then spends about a episode explaning it, the other ninjas and naruto watch in awe and are like "AWE".
Nexts teh N1njas do some cool moves and probably hurt eachother, if one of the goodguys gets hurt it does a flash back so some emotional problem with his parents.. or his gamecube calling him a L0s0r !!!2233. If the badguys get hurt don't worry about it, unless its a really powerful badguy who takes a couple minutes to explain why he lost...and reflects on his evil schemes, then he dies. *Poof* BlaAaAaArG.

No in summery naruto is'nt overhyped, nor is initial d, pokemon, gundam or any other gREAtz0r series out there. They just have *Awsomess fans* !!!
Old 2004-05-09, 21:23   Link #16
JOJOS'STAR
*Artist

People sees a reason to say Naruto is overrated cause its a shonen. I'll snob this topic.
Godslayer Guts it is sadly becoming a little bit as you say cause it is a shonen..

Anyway the first season owns it all. And nobody can say sh*t about it.
Old 2004-05-09, 21:37   Link #17
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

"Is Naruto overrated?"

No. It deserves to be on the top. In my opinion, either an anime or a movie or any other type of commercial product always seeks to be popular in order to achieve a high amount of sales. Hence, if an anime is not famous then is a piece of **** The author of Naruto was brillian enough to make this series very, very famous. When this anime gets televisided in Europe, South America and in North America it is going to be a super hit as much Dragon Ball and Saint Seiya were. It is fact.

So don't hate it so much please, because Naruto is already a classic.
Old 2004-05-09, 21:44   Link #18
rEkKaShInObI
LiFe Of ReVeNgE

Send a message via AIM to rEkKaShInObI Send a message via Yahoo to rEkKaShInObI
in a way, it is pretty much over rated just like evangelion. they like to talk allot and put in allot of fillers, thats what killed it.
Old 2004-05-09, 21:52   Link #19
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugetsu
Hence, if an anime is not famous then is a piece of ****
That is... that is quite possibly the most untruthful thing you've ever said, Sugetsu. I mean, you've said a lot of crazy stuff before, but this just tops them all. This statement is beyond crazy, it is insanity. Wait, no... it's so much more than that that it has become necessary for me to create a new word just to classify such a freakish statement: ridicuracious. The above statement is simply ridicuracious. So much so, in fact, that it just blows my mind.

Anime that many people have NOT seen but are excellent:

Infinite Ryvius
Dokkoida
Kanojo to Kanojo no Neko
Mizuiro Jidai
Lord of Lords Ryu Knight
Like the Clouds, Like the Wind
Spirit of Wonder: Miss China's Ring
Soul Taker
Ocean Waves (Umi Ga Kikoeru)
Narue no Sekai
Condor Hero
Kino's Journey

That's just a few off the top of my head, and most of them are pretty recent. There are so many more anime series that are spectacular, but completely unknown and unwatched. You can't judge the quality of an anime based on its popularity, it's just impossible. Doing something like that is shallow and, in my opinion, about as lame as lame can be. Wait a second... didn't we already go over this in that OTHER thread you made? Rather than get back into that rather horrid topic, I suggest you watch one of the series I've listed above. I'm sure you'll change, and blow, your mind.
Old 2004-05-09, 21:54   Link #20
Soconfused
Old God Member

Send a message via AIM to Soconfused
Yeah, most of the "drawn out seen" are only in the anime IMO. The manga is alot better.