AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2009-03-30, 23:13   Link #61
Craymel

so it dropped from 0.2 to 0.1 Yeah they're dying alright. That one graph says it all. We need to see longer more proportionate data sets to really make the "they're dead" conclusion. Of course traffic will slow because of their drop in content.
Old 2009-03-31, 00:19   Link #62
mieruno
Banned

tl note: CR will never die and it will just keep on growing

so don't bother guys, CR will overtake fansubbing one day and we're all just waiting for that one day to come
mieruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-31, 01:27   Link #63
danin8r44
The King of the Insane

CR will only overtake fansubbing when they can actually produce material that is truly superior to what the fansubbers produce. At the point where CR is definitively better than fansubbing I'll just jump aboard the CR train without any complaints.
danin8r44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-31, 08:19   Link #64
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craymel View Post
so it dropped from 0.2 to 0.1
In other words, traffic is halved. It should also be noted that if you look further back, interest in CR has been steadily increasing since January last year, peaking around november/december (left part of the image I posted). Since then (i.e. since they started offering legal content in January 2009), traffic has declined sharply and is now down to the levels it was on in January 2008.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
Who knows whether they are making money, though.
Probably not very much; most likely they're still running on venture capital. Interestingly a lot of their money comes from Gonzo's parent company GDH, which is in severe financial troubles as well. GDH was in danger of getting delisted last summer, and have survived only by massive layoffs, issuing $18 million USD in new shares to another venture firm and selling off everything that isn't nailed down.

In February, ANN wrote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANN
GDH's core business has shifted from anime, as Gonzo went into red ink, to its online gaming operations. Last year's voluntary retirement program applied to GDH and Gonzo employees, but not to Gonzo Rosso, GDH's online game subsidiary.
Today, it was announced that GDH is selling off Gonzo Rosso. The fact that they're selling off a part of their business that seems to be actually profitable is a pretty good indicator that they're in rather deep shit.

Gonzo is also one of the studios that seem the most interested in spreading stuff via Crunchyroll. Since they are a company in crisis, the picture I'm getting here is that more "stable" companies see CR as a risky investment at best, while Gonzo in their desperation to find new income sources has nothing to lose.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read

Last edited by TheFluff; 2009-03-31 at 10:07.
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-01, 02:14   Link #65
Nicholi
King of Hosers

Impossible for CR to die, they can always just go to their previous model when they need to.

Selling fansubs...lol!
Nicholi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-01, 03:34   Link #66
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholi View Post
Impossible for CR to die, they can always just go to their previous model when they need to.

Selling fansubs...lol!
Not really. Remember they incorporated in Japan and have an official Japanese corporation now. If they started streaming illegally, it would be very trivial for the Japanese version of the MPAA to sue them directly in Japanese courts for everything they are worth.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-01, 13:45   Link #67
TheFluff

update: GDH to be delisted from the tokyo stock exchange
(not an april fool's joke, april 1st is the start of japan's fiscal year and it was announced 9 months ago that they'd be delisted at the start of the new fiscal year if they didn't improve their finances)
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read

Last edited by TheFluff; 2009-04-01 at 14:53.
Old 2009-04-03, 15:26   Link #68
ThatOneMan

Why do so many people want CR to die? Especially now when it actually provides a good service. Oh well, whatever floats your boat...

Anyways if anyone has seen the new Hayate episode on Crunchyroll you will notice they started doing styled subs and it looks half decent.
ThatOneMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-03, 16:32   Link #69
TheFluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneMan View Post
Especially now when it actually provides a good service.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneMan View Post
good service
yeah, about that...

Old 2009-04-03, 18:24   Link #70
neothe0ne

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneMan
Especially now when it actually provides a good service.

yeah, about that...
24.000fps Hayate no Gotoku 2nd season.

Good service where?
Old 2009-04-03, 19:44   Link #71
radioIzzy
stuck in a harem genre
*Artist

What happened to Crunchyroll :'(
radioIzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-04, 05:36   Link #72
idiffer

Send a message via ICQ to idiffer
Quote:
Originally Posted by neothe0ne View Post
24.000fps Hayate no Gotoku 2nd season.

Good service where?
this will probably seem like a stupid question to most of you (i dont know shit about encoding...), but whats wrong with 24 frames?
--------------------
and Skip beat could be better of course, but crunchyroll 180mb was better than horriblesubs 280mb files, imho. but i still think that fansubs are better though, in general.
c) Your mind is too narrow to embrace my genius, de geso.
d) I was accidentally dropped into a barrel of whiskey, so now I am constantly drunk.
e) Go home and die! Dattebayo!
idiffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-04, 05:48   Link #73
TheFluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by idiffer View Post
this will probably seem like a stupid question to most of you (i dont know shit about encoding...), but whats wrong with 24 frames?
Nothing, unlike the first season this one is actually 24fps and not 30. While they did manage to get the framerate right this time (unlike some other cases I could mention) they still managed to screw up the decimation so all movement and all pans are jerky as heck. I have no idea how they did it, it's seriously kind of hard to do as most decimation filters will do their best to not screw up like that.

Old 2009-04-04, 06:30   Link #74
npcomplete

Quote:
Nothing, unlike the first season this one is actually 24fps and not 30. While they did manage to get the framerate right this time (unlike some other cases I could mention) they still managed to screw up the decimation so all movement and all pans are jerky as heck. I have no idea how they did it, it's seriously kind of hard to do as most decimation filters will do their best to not screw up like that.
.. I'm guessing "they" would be TV-Tokyo...
I wonder who does it for Viz and Funi or if they are trusted enough to be handed the source to do it themselves
npcomplete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-04, 06:31   Link #75
TheFluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by npcomplete View Post
.. I'm guessing "they" would be TV-Tokyo...
the tv tokyo broadcast is fine

Old 2009-04-04, 07:48   Link #76
npcomplete

Quote:
the tv tokyo broadcast is fine
I don't mean the broadcast transport stream. I mean that TV-Tokyo doing the encoding then handing that to CR.
npcomplete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-04, 08:16   Link #77
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by npcomplete View Post
I don't mean the broadcast transport stream. I mean that TV-Tokyo doing the encoding then handing that to CR.
Exactly. CR would kill to just get the transport streams, but that's not in the cards for security purposes. In any case things have definitely improved since the initial offerings, and we don't have crazy ghosting and interlacing artifacts anymore at least.

Proper decimation is just the next thing for CR to teach TV Tokyo how to do...
Sam Pinansky
Old 2009-04-04, 08:31   Link #78
TheFluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
that's not in the cards for security purposes.
|д゚)
w-hat

Old 2009-04-04, 09:14   Link #79
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
|д゚)
w-hat
Sending out masters or transport streams prior to the airing of the actual show is like, anathema to a broadcaster like TV Tokyo.

They just barely find it in themselves to send HD(ish) encodes overseas. Heck it's only been a few months, over time these corporate irrational fears will subside.
Sam Pinansky
Old 2009-04-04, 12:52   Link #80
Mentar
Banned

*blinks*

Wow. I didn't know that. So the encodes come from TV Tokyo directly, and aren't prepared by Crunchyroll staff?!? Let me bite back a comment about the work of so-called "professionals". Gawd.

*exonerates Crunchyroll*
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote