AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-11-05, 06:37   Link #21
Wai
Need a hand?

If the "sun" mark was based on the design of the "slave" mark, then are the tattoos on shipwright Tom's arms related to them in any way?

Bummer, I shouldn't have peeked into this thread, now that the contents of the upcoming chapter have been revealed haha. I knew Hancock could reverse her petrification abilities.

Hancock isn't ugly, so there is a chance of her joining Luffy's crew, but I seriously doubt that. Even if she were to join, what could she provide to the crew?
Old 2008-11-05, 07:03   Link #22
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One View Post
I think this has to be explained a bit more:
Why did he climb up the Red Line? How did he free all the slaves, and why didn't the WG do something against it, if they had a problem with this?
I think it's pretty obvious Life and Death of Fisher Tiger will be the obligatory flashback of the Merman Island arc, so I suppose we'll have to wait.

Besides, they also has to explain how Jinbei (( who's probably a more radical mate of Tiger's crew )) came into power as a Shichibukai after Tiger died. Besides, from the way it sounded along with what Hachi/Robin said in earlier chapters, it seems likely that it's the typical freedom fighter story, with the Fishman/Merman getting their rights soon after somehow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wai View Post
If the "sun" mark was based on the design of the "slave" mark, then are the tattoos on shipwright Tom's arms related to them in any way?

Bummer, I shouldn't have peeked into this thread, now that the contents of the upcoming chapter have been revealed haha. I knew Hancock could reverse her petrification abilities.

Hancock isn't ugly, so there is a chance of her joining Luffy's crew, but I seriously doubt that. Even if she were to join, what could she provide to the crew?
Well, Tom might've been a member of the Sun Pirates. After all, even Fish/Merman who weren't slaves weren't safe from discrimination. It should be much safer in the gang.

As for Hancock, ironically, she has better chances than Margeret to join, looking at the trends. Tragic past associated with the upcoming arc, Devil Fruit powers that are perfect against cannon fodder, but not so much against those with decent power levels.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Old 2008-11-05, 08:06   Link #23
Trax
Rock beats scissors

Wow, the spoiler I've seen looks very interesting. If Hancock had known beforehand that Luffy had punched a Tenryuubito it might not have
escalated to this point at all. Also, Luffy proved to them that not all men are as barbaric as they thought. Ofcourse they're mostly misgivings that are unlikely to be dispelled by the people they meet in their line of 'work'. Can't wait to read this one properly, bring it on!
Old 2008-11-05, 08:19   Link #24
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
I think this has to be explained a bit more:
Why did he climb up the Red Line? How did he free all the slaves, and why didn't the WG do something against it, if they had a problem with this?
He skipped that part of the summary.
He climbed the Redline to infiltrate Marie Joie to attack the city. Hancock says he fought with all his might to free the slaves. He turned into the enemy of the World Government, fought them, and created the Pirates of the Sun. It doesn't say in detail if he did it solo, but I doubt very many people could follow him up the Redline with their bare hands. He was most likely one tough mofo, on the level of the legends with Roger and others.
Old 2008-11-05, 08:34   Link #25
tzia_n
Lurker

Send a message via Yahoo to tzia_n
Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
... as well as my original prediction that Luffy would simply ask for a ship and that the ending would be anti-climatic ...

this is one piece, what did you expect? this is where the most absurd answers are the best ones
Old 2008-11-05, 09:42   Link #26
Paraden1989

the only thing is if Margaret joins the crew she has to have a mentor who ether died or lost a limb because every Straw Hat member has lost a mentor or someone dear to them.

Boa could still be an option because Fisher Tiger could have been her "mentor figure," and he died so it kind of works hand in hand. idk if she would make a good straw hat, but i'm just pointing out the facts.

i'm glad though that this arc is ending really really quickly, and they are going to arrive at Merman Island hopefully soon! i still think it would be interesting if they had to fight a bunch of "fishermen" once they got to mermen island. they could be bounty hunters that specialize in mermen!
Old 2008-11-05, 09:44   Link #27
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
He skipped that part of the summary.
He climbed the Redline to infiltrate Marie Joie to attack the city. Hancock says he fought with all his might to free the slaves. He turned into the enemy of the World Government, fought them, and created the Pirates of the Sun. It doesn't say in detail if he did it solo, but I doubt very many people could follow him up the Redline with their bare hands.

Yeah, my bad. I meant to post that part, but I was up rather late and kinda skipped over that particular detail by accident. But knowing this, I have a particularly strong feeling that the World Nobles will have a huge part in the upcoming Merman Island storyline. After all, we saw how Sharlia wanted retribution for her KO'ed father and brother.....

Quote:
He was most likely one tough mofo, on the level of the legends with Roger and others

No doubt about that! The fact that he pulled such crazy stunts definitely suggests that Tiger was a lot stronger than the average merman. But I wonder.... what connection does Jinbei have to Fisher Tiger? Maybe he was his first mate during his Sun Pirate days? Chances are, he was probably a former slave as well. Yet, now he's a Shichibukai.... a government dog, in other words. Maybe there's a deeper reason why he accepted the title...?

Oh, and one amusing to point out: Judging from the spoiler pics, Marigold was a LOT slimmer when she was younger (but that was probably due to slave labor). I also noticed that the CP9 ministory featured another of the Buster Call marines, that one captain with an afro that Franky fought (I think his name was Berry Good?). I'm still hoping we get to see the Rokushiki master(s) soon, though.

Quote:
Oh well, at least Boa is not Luffy's mother .

That theory hasn't really been debunked yet. While it's true that she softened up sooner than I'd have liked, all she really did was undo the curse on Margaret and co., talked about her slave days, and agreed to lend Luffy a ship. Unless you're suggesting that she refuses to have a relationship with men because of her slave days? We still have yet to learn what the Boa sisters have done after Tiger freed them. Chances are, they haven't returned to Amazon Lily right away. Maybe Hancock even met Dragon during that time....

But what's really bothering me now is the amount of people who believe that Hancock will join Luffy's crew. As I said before, it wouldn't make sense for her to abandon her own crew and join Luffy at this point. That would be a sure-fire way for her to lose her Shichibukai status, for one thing (which is something she intends to keep). Then there's the fact that she's a huge role model for the Kuja. Recall her earlier speech with Nyon, where she said that Nyon was a traitor because she left her people. She'd be contradicting her own words, and would probably be considered a traitor herself. Lastly, it also wouldn't make sense for a powerful, experienced Shichibukai like her to join a rookie's crew, no matter what reasons she may have. So temporary ally? Fine. Permanent ally? No way, Jose.

If any of the Kuja were to join Luffy, I'd say that Margaret is the best bet at this point (though I'd still rather see Sweetpea join)....

Last edited by marvelB; 2008-11-05 at 10:45.
Old 2008-11-05, 10:37   Link #28
Rurik
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
If any of the Kuja were to join Luffy, I'd say that Margaret is the best bet at this point (though I'd still rather see Sweetpea join)....
I don’t think It would be healthy to have a Girl with no experience in man whatsoever in the same boat Sanji is in….but it would be a set-up for a lot of laughs… =p

I do think that the next member needs to be an established Haki user
Old 2008-11-05, 10:57   Link #29
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rurik View Post
I don’t think It would be healthy to have a Girl with no experience in man whatsoever in the same boat Sanji is in….but it would be a set-up for a lot of laughs… =p

I'd think Margaret's inexperience with males would be rather amusing as long as Oda doesn't have her spam the "kintama" gag to oblivion. But he probably will, anyway.

Anyways, there's still two days left before Hancock gives her answer to Momonga. I wonder if during that time, the sisters (or Nyon) will teach Luffy about Haki? I don't think that he'll be undergoing some "training period" (because good lord do those get boring fast). He'll most likely just get some detailed explanation of how it works, and can work out the rest for himself. After all, he said he came up with the Gears after Aokiji defeated him, and it's not like we saw him training for that....
Old 2008-11-05, 11:07   Link #30
kari-no-sugata

Not sure how many people predicted that the sisters were ex-slaves of Tenryuubito, but it was a pretty good bet. The extra detail about Fisher Tiger was quite interesting through.

Curious though - does Luffy know about Hancock being a Shichibukai? Doesn't seem to know about Ace yet.

Nice bit of the chapter: Hancock deliberately tests Luffy - giving him the choice between taking a ship back and un-petrifying the girls. The expect him to take the ship "and show his true nature" (as a selfish man) but instead he immediately asks to save the girls and bows deeply, surprising the sisters considerably. Luffy definitely had an effect on her

I wonder if she'll give Luffy any tips on Haki. Would seem a bit of a waste if something along those lines doesn't happen (though we might only find out later, rather than getting a "training" chapter)
Old 2008-11-05, 11:17   Link #31
marvelB

Oh yeah, another little thing I forgot to mention: I'm pretty sure Hancock confirms that she ate the Mero Mero fruit, judging from the spoiler pics. I can definitely recognize the characters, despite my (very) limited Nihongo skills.

Quote:
IMHO they don't need another member; they already have more than enough.
Besides: IIRC everytime a new member was introduced, it was when the whole crew was present. So it should be impossible to get a new member, with Luffy beeing alone somewhere.

Luffy said from the very beginning of the series that he wanted 10 people in his crew, so a tenth person will definitely join sooner or later. It may as well be sooner, I suppose....
Old 2008-11-05, 11:24   Link #32
Sordes Pilosus
Claymore Addict

The Chapter with Brook joining confirmed that he is the 8th. So there will likly be 2 more, 1 wont come for a while i think, but Margaret has a decent chance of becomming the 9th. And if her chapter is named that, then the tenth wont be to far behind either. As for Boa, there is virtualy 0 chance for that. Perhaps thats why i fear it.. Oda likes 180's at times.
Old 2008-11-05, 11:58   Link #33
7th_dimension

King's Disposition, haki...

I'm lufffy fan who is a little bit confused...

1. Silvers, Shanks, Doflamingo, Hebihime, Luffy...
Haki users? anything else?

2. Why kidd and trafalgar and their nakamas cannot be affected with silver's haki?

3. my friends frequently asked "Where did Luffy got the power of haki?". Is it true thats all about Luffy's destiny to become a King?

i know i'm a bit curious, otherwise it didnt related to chapter 521, but... at least i've got the answer. sankyuu...
Old 2008-11-05, 15:18   Link #34
mydecember
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th_dimension View Post
1. Silvers, Shanks, Doflamingo, Hebihime, Luffy...
Haki users? anything else?
We're not sure if Flamingo also has the "King" type haki, but he doesn't seem to have it.
By far, only Luffy, Hancock (Hebihime), Shanks and Rayleigh seems to have it (That "king" type haki).
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th_dimension
2. Why kidd and trafalgar and their nakamas cannot be affected with silver's haki?
Only the weak ones, are affected by it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th_dimension
3. my friends frequently asked "Where did Luffy got the power of haki?". Is it true thats all about Luffy's destiny to become a King?
Anyone can have haki actually, if they learn it. All the people in Amazon Lily seems to know how to use it. But Luffy is an anomaly in this concept. While he doesn't know anything about haki, he seems to be able to blast it out, regarding to his emotions, and he has a special type of haki.
Old 2008-11-05, 17:12   Link #35
Trax
Rock beats scissors

Quote:
Originally Posted by mydecember View Post
Anyone can have haki actually, if they learn it. All the people in Amazon Lily seems to know how to use it. But Luffy is an anomaly in this concept. While he doesn't know anything about haki, he seems to be able to blast it out, regarding to his emotions, and he has a special type of haki.
Personally I'm not yet conviced that anyone can learn haki, it's not yet a fact that all amazons can use it. Perhaps only the better warriors are able to learn it. I'm hoping Rayleigh will shed some light on it soon.
Old 2008-11-05, 17:51   Link #36
crescent_essence
The Best of the Best.

Send a message via MSN to crescent_essence
Quote:
IMHO they don't need another member; they already have more than enough.
Besides: IIRC everytime a new member was introduced, it was when the whole crew was present. So it should be impossible to get a new member, with Luffy beeing alone somewhere.
Well, in the first few chapters, Luffy did say he wanted about ten members. And they've already got to nine, so what's one more? Especially since it's someone as interesting and well liked as Margaret.

Good tidings to all you who reside here. This is my first post on Animesuki, so please be merciful to me...
Old 2008-11-05, 18:31   Link #37
Freya

Send a message via AIM to Freya
Boa being Luffys mom still doesn't make sense. Even if One Piece doesn't make sense in a lot of things, THIS for sure makes no sense. She's some random person and we say she's his mom? Eh...?

It's a good ending to the arc. We'll see Boa again for sure.
Old 2008-11-05, 19:42   Link #38
kari-no-sugata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freya View Post
Boa being Luffys mom still doesn't make sense. Even if One Piece doesn't make sense in a lot of things, THIS for sure makes no sense. She's some random person and we say she's his mom? Eh...?
It's rather unhealthy I feel - if pushers of this "theory" want to take the "it's just a theory" excuse to defend raising it, but still raise it all the time, I don't think they're being honest with themselves. Luffy has to have a mother but that's no reason to finger any possible candidate just to satisfy a curiosity. Waste of energy...

Given that Boa Hancock was sold as a slave to World Nobles at a young age, and that the memories/humiliation are such that she and all her sisters would rather die, it's not too hard (that rather disgusting) to imagine what likely happened to them. It's not surprising that she sees men as beasts. Makes it all the more unlikely that she'd later fall in love with some man, get pregnant, deliberately avoid going back to Amazon Lilly for however many months then just give the baby away, rather than go back home and give birth to a girl.
Old 2008-11-05, 19:48   Link #39
james0246

^ Are you trying to say that Boa is a lesbian? Because if you are, just come right out and say it, there is nothing to be ashamed about.

---

Since Fisher Tiger has been implicitly compared to Luffy, is it possible that Jinbei is going to be an ally, or an even larger villain than previously predicted (depending on Jinbei's connection to Fisher Tiger)?

Last edited by james0246; 2008-11-05 at 19:58.
Old 2008-11-05, 20:23   Link #40
kari-no-sugata

Quote:
^ Are you trying to say that Boa is a lesbian? Because if you are, just come right out and say it, there is nothing to be ashamed about.
Evidence for disgust in men is not evidence for interest in women.

Spoiler for the subject I wasn't interested in explicitly raising was: