AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Darker Than Black

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-11-23, 04:48   Link #1
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I think we all knew it was just a matter of time before July gets his own thread. He is already recognized as one of the most prominent shouta who gets the heart throbbing for the ladies. His best quality is that he is the silent type. No angst, nothing. Wintery cold water drop falls inside his collar? No problem. All he is going to do is to make a face and move on. You put him in a casket? *shrug* He is only going to look pretty playing dead. Pictorial example below:

This little man's silent personality speaks volume than many of your loud mouth lolis who needs to be slapped around to keep them in line. Yeah, the man is winning fans left and right. And this thread is his shrine dedicated to show our appreciation for him.
The only rule that applies to this thread is to be respectful to each other's opinion. At no point can the personal boundaries be crossed.
Have fun talking about this ultimate shouta.... yes?
Old 2009-11-23, 06:41   Link #2
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

I love July! And I don't even normally appreciate this kind of characters
Old 2009-11-23, 08:02   Link #3
Avira
fanart-fan :D

He's quiet but not angsty, which is good.

And he's just...so...CUTE!!
Old 2009-11-23, 09:10   Link #4
LightningZERO
You are Dominated!
*Author

I wonder if July will try to take revenge on Hei for killing April
Old 2009-11-23, 09:11   Link #5
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningZERO View Post
I wonder if July will try to take revenge on Hei for killing April
A doll taking revenge?
Old 2009-11-23, 11:14   Link #6
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I think we all knew it was just a matter of time before July gets his own thread. He is already recognized as one of the most prominent shouta who gets the heart throbbing for the ladies. His best quality is that he is the silent type. No angst, nothing. Wintery cold water drop falls inside his collar? No problem. All he is going to do is to make a face and move on. You put him in a casket? *shrug* He is only going to look pretty playing dead. Pictorial example below:

This little man's silent personality speaks volume than many of your loud mouth lolis who needs to be slapped around to keep them in line. Yeah, the man is winning fans left and right. And this thread is his shrine dedicated to show our appreciation for him.
The only rule that applies to this thread is to be respectful to each other's opinion. At no point can the personal boundaries be crossed.
Have fun talking about this ultimate shouta.... yes?
I didn't write that, Monir!

Did ask for the thread, though... And the poll results so far show July is the people's choice among shota dolls.

I'm not the biggest expert on DtB mythology, but I do find the concept of dolls interesting, Hei (who shouldn't have feelings in his own right, as a contractor - HA!) appears to be in love with one. July appears to have chosen to tag along with Suou and Hei for no logical reason. Suou (another 'emotionless" contractor) theorizes that July is lonely, an emotion which should theoretically be beyond him.

To what degree are dolls capable of recognizably human emotions, and to what degree do the characters (and viewers) anthropomorphize them because they look human? The Japanese are crazy about anthropomorphization as a society - just look at Japanese advertising, which seems largely focused on talking inanimate objects, and at all the talking cats we get in anime. At the least, we can say that July is certainly animate. He needs to sleep and eat, so he's clearly alive. Is he merely a pet - albeit a very dangerous one - or something much more?
Old 2009-11-23, 11:53   Link #7
tieria.erde
T-chan fan

totally hug-able! i'm so glad i voted for him in S1 fave characters list long time ago
Old 2009-11-23, 14:13   Link #8
Aqua Knight

Do dolls grow up?
Because if they do , he will become a totally mind-blowing ladykiller.
Old 2009-11-23, 14:52   Link #9
Zwei
Natural Born Killer
*Graphic Designer

Someone should change the topic to 'Darker Than Black - Character Discussion - July' since it seems kinda out of place.
Old 2009-11-23, 15:54   Link #10
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17th_warrior View Post
Do dolls grow up?
And yet, in the process lose some of the admirers he's already acquired. Shota power FTW!

I think we've established with Shion that contractors certainly grow up, and absent compelling evidence to the contrary I would think dolls would be the same. He has to eat and sleep, which implies some sort of traditional biological imperative.
Old 2009-11-23, 22:45   Link #11
Starry Dust
Lurkin' in ur threadz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17th_warrior View Post
Do dolls grow up?
LOL
Indeed he will.

You know, I never really cared or bothered with July until...this season. As sad as that sounds. I didn't take notice of him before.

I think his cute-ness has shone through pretty good.
Old 2009-11-23, 22:52   Link #12
xKeen

He looks warm in what he is wearing...I want to give him a hug,but meh.

Credits to Pellissier~
Old 2009-11-24, 00:20   Link #13
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

July is certainly moe - the most huggable male character this season. It's no wonder he's brought out Suou's maternal instinct.

Or is that supposed to be banned for Contractors, too?
Old 2009-11-24, 00:28   Link #14
Tormenk

^ The instinct would still be there, just largely ignored. Anything that holds no purpose or benefit for a contractor would be cast aside, as we saw with Norio's mom.

And is that how his name is spelled officially? J-U-L-Y?

"Are you afraid of change? Or are you afraid to change?"

"Wheel turns, river flows and life goes on."

"Best way to kill a man, is to leave him alone."

"Until you come, until we close our eyes."

Old 2009-11-24, 01:05   Link #15
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Methinks Suou needs some serious work on her aside-casting, then - not only is she not ignoring her maternal (or at list big-sisterly) instincts for July, she's acting based on anger and crushing on Hei, too.

You'd have to ask Monir about that spelling - he set up the thread! I've never seen it spelled that way before, but as i said earlier, I'm not the DtB expert.
Old 2009-11-24, 02:46   Link #16
LightningZERO
You are Dominated!
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
A doll taking revenge?
Well, both season have established that Dolls do have emotional and some can act on their own. So maybe we will see July try to cope with Hei killing April. He's close to April...
Old 2009-11-24, 05:46   Link #17
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwei View Post
Someone should change the topic to 'Darker Than Black - Character Discussion - July' since it seems kinda out of place.
J-U-L-Y's out of the world kind of cutesy little thingy thing separates him from the herd. The gal' who stole July in episode 07 was checking him out thoroughly and he didn't even flinch. He is _that_ freakin' cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormenk
And is that how his name is spelled officially? J-U-L-Y?
No. Spelling his name such a way, however, puts more emphasis about his importance. Just take a look at his grand smile to get an idea about his importance:

Credit goes to mikoo for the above!

Once again good job Guardian Enjo for starting this thread. He has the collective appreciation for all those sota-fans out there.
Old 2009-11-24, 11:40   Link #18
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Any Natsu no Arashi fans out there?

I think it's kinda funny that the most kawaii girl and boy of 2009 are named Jun and July.
Old 2009-11-24, 13:13   Link #19
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I think it's kinda funny that the most kawaii girl and boy of 2009 are named Jun and July.
May from FMA is pretty cute too.
Old 2009-11-24, 19:51   Link #20
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Damn - good catch!

Jun still cuter, tho'. Especially when someone (frequently) walks in on her changing. And she doesn't need a chibi panda to boost her moe points.
Closed Thread