AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2009-10-04, 17:17   Link #461
einhorn303

But in regards to my comment about them being trolls, it's been confirmed before that Underwater has purposely put typos and translation mistakes into their re-encodes of CrunchyRoll subs, in order to create negative reputation against CR. Considering that they've been purposely deceitful before, I wouldn't put unwavering doubt in any of their or their allies' statements.
einhorn303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-04, 17:30   Link #462
Daiz
Pioneer in Fansub 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by einhorn303 View Post
But in regards to my comment about them being trolls, it's been confirmed before that Underwater has purposely put typos and translation mistakes into their re-encodes of CrunchyRoll subs, in order to create negative reputation against CR. Considering that they've been purposely deceitful before, I wouldn't put unwavering doubt in any of their or their allies' statements.
[citation needed]
Daiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-04, 17:40   Link #463
einhorn303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daiz View Post
[citation needed]
Sorry, I meant HorribleSubs:

(Fansub and Industry Panel, Otakon 2009) http://bayoab.info/live/old.php?panel=105
einhorn303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-04, 18:17   Link #464
bayoab

Quote:
But in regards to my comment about them being trolls... Considering that they've been purposely deceitful before, I wouldn't put unwavering doubt in any of their or their allies' statements.
Underwater was the one who, on more than one occasion, bought domains that look like they could be owned by real R1 companies, copied the official websites, and then made it appear that said companies were distributing their fansubs as legitimate R1 products.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-04, 20:00   Link #465
Slice of Life
eyewitness

Quote:
Sorry, I meant HorribleSubs:

(Fansub and Industry Panel, Otakon 2009) http://bayoab.info/live/old.php?panel=105
This is hardly a trustworthy source for any claim about any ripping group, let alone a confirmation.

Also, I'd like to explicitly thank both mentioned groups and any other for what they are doing: breaching copyright to bring me the anime that otherwise weren't accessible to me. Same thanks goes to all fansubbers of course, for the same reasons.
Old 2009-10-05, 10:30   Link #466
bayoab

Quote:
Also, claiming that "Nyaa's admin isn't competent as an admin and isn't competent in English either" is a factually true statement? Based on what? Sounds like an ordinary insult with no real base to me.
The lack of technical competency is based on previous posts by the admin and how this has been handled. I will take back the english comment as I might have mixed up my tracker admin incompetence with that other one. Although, I'm still seeing multiple words interchanged that shouldn't be. (ex: "DDoS" and "hammer")

Quote:
But really, you're not being really believable with your "lol these guys are technically incompetent, don't trust them guys trust me instead!"-act.
Actually, it's "They aren't giving any details and they haven't been reliable in the past so why should we believe them. BayTSP is equally shady but they've never done something like that which is blatantly illegal."

Quote:
Quoting from Nyaa himself:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyaa
It doesn't matter if two independent companies paid for the DDoS attack or not since they're still funding BayTSP's operations.
So "I don't know who actually paid but anyone paying BayTSP is responsible and should be blamed"? While I don't like BayTSP, it is perfectly legal to enforce your copyrights and blaming a company for doing so is really asinine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyaa
Here are some numbers: Average search engine output page size: 10+ kB. 500 req/s. 5000 kBps. 40 Mbps.
The point I was making is that this was not "shoving bandwidth down their in-pipe". When you have a website that clearly is not coded for minimal bandwidth usage, that kind of outbound bandwidth isn't unexpected. (80k primary banner image, 600k flash, 70k source code per load!) Also, the missing piece of information is what their normal traffic level is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by #nyaatorrents
<~Nyaa> It is, as I said, a grey zone DDoS attack.
<~Nyaa> BayTSP's bots/crawlers have been criticised numerous times for being overly aggressive. This is just another instance.
<~Nyaa> I bet they scale the number of requests based on how large the sites are in order to avoid a shitstorm if possible.
Then that wouldn't be a DDoS, it would just be "legitimately"* hammering the site. Overly aggressive crawling happens all the time. I've seen some poorly written search engine bots attempt to index every hour. Clearly they aren't bringing the site to a crawl or they would be scaling down how aggressive they are. That link seems to suggest the same thing, which again, is not actually a DDoS since services are still available.

*i.e. There is nothing illegal about it.
Old 2009-10-05, 12:27   Link #467
Daiz
Pioneer in Fansub 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab View Post
The lack of technical competency is based on previous posts by the admin
[citation needed]

Quote:
"They aren't giving any details and they haven't been reliable in the past so why should we believe them."
Who haven't been reliable in the past? And for what exactly have they been unreliable for? You haven't backed this up in any way.

Quote:
The point I was making is that this was not "shoving bandwidth down their in-pipe". When you have a website that clearly is not coded for minimal bandwidth usage, that kind of outbound bandwidth isn't unexpected. (80k primary banner image, 600k flash, 70k source code per load!) Also, the missing piece of information is what their normal traffic level is.
"Not shoving bandwidth down their in-pipe"? Seriously? I would like to remind you that BayTSP is adding 40Mbps to NyaaTorrents load 24/7, which means 412 gigabytes of extra traffic per day, which in turn means about 12 terabytes of extra traffic per month.

Quote:
Then that wouldn't be a DDoS, it would just be "legitimately"* hammering the site. Overly aggressive crawling happens all the time. I've seen some poorly written search engine bots attempt to index every hour. Clearly they aren't bringing the site to a crawl or they would be scaling down how aggressive they are. That link seems to suggest the same thing, which again, is not actually a DDoS since services are still available.

*i.e. There is nothing illegal about it.
A DDoS isn't illegal by definition. A huge amount of legitimate users refreshing a front page, making the site slow down, counts as DDoS as well. Also, Nyaa did say theํr DDoS attack is in legal grey zone, as in it's technically not illegal since all they're doing is hammering the site aggressively.

Also, to put some things into their scale, I run a website of my own. It has 100GB monthly bandwidth. The site gets constantly crawled by multiple search engine bots (and tons of spambots too), but the amount of traffic generated in five days is only about 100MB (including lots of crawling from Cuil, which is said to be one of the most worst-optimized crawlers around), meaning about 600MB of traffic per month from various crawlers.

Now if the site got hit with something like what BayTSP is doing on NT, you can probably count how much time it would take for the site to go down due to bandwidth being exceeded. Yes, less than half a day. Obviously NyaaTorrents is built to handle more traffic than my site, but even then 12 terabytes of extra traffic per month isn't exactly pocket change to anyone.

Last edited by Daiz; 2009-10-05 at 13:02.
Old 2009-10-05, 13:42   Link #468
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
"Not shoving bandwidth down their in-pipe"? Seriously? I would like to remind you that BayTSP is adding 40Mbps to NyaaTorrents load 24/7, which means 412 gigabytes of extra traffic per day, which in turn means about 12 terabytes of extra traffic per month.
I'm no fan of BayTSP (see my previous posts on them if you're curious), but cry me a river.

If you run a medium to large torrent tracker you will be harassed by companies like these. If you can't handle it then GTFO.

P.S. CR doesn't pay BayTSP a dime, at least last that I heard. Japan on the other hand is in their pocket, since they have a deal with NTT.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-05, 14:08   Link #469
Daiz
Pioneer in Fansub 2.0

Obviously NT it can handle it (seeing as the site has been up and running without problems despite the continuous hammering), I was more pointing out that bayoab's claim that "BayTSP's hammering is not shoving bandwidth down NT's in-pipe" is utterly ridiculous.
Old 2009-10-05, 15:08   Link #470
Buzer
The magical one

Send a message via MSN to Buzer
Quote:
Now if the site got hit with something like what BayTSP is doing on NT, you can probably count how much time it would take for the site to go down due to bandwidth being exceeded. Yes, less than half a day. Obviously NyaaTorrents is built to handle more traffic than my site, but even then 12 terabytes of extra traffic per month isn't exactly pocket change to anyone.
40Mbps of extra bandwidth is pocket change on plans that are actually meant for that volume of traffic. For NT, that's ~270 USD extra per moth (assuming they are using that 1895 SEK umetered plan for frontends. Well, okay, they probably have some discount). While not exactly pocket change, it's not a lot either.
Buzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-05, 15:17   Link #471
Daiz
Pioneer in Fansub 2.0

Most likely so. In any case, it's way more than enough to run smaller sites into oblivion very fast.
Old 2009-10-09, 03:38   Link #472
Lebon14

Not anime or BayTSP related in any way but related to "crawlers" and e-mail warning.

Yesterday, I received an e-mail from my ISP saying that I used my line to download illicit material. That material is simply "Corel VideoStudio 11.5" got from torrent (and cracks and all). _________ Corel! They used crawlers to get my IP and DNS name (my DNS name is my router)!

All I wanted is a video mounting software for my personal use. I don't have a cent to spend on software. All the free ones SUuuuuuuuuu...

Anyway. I just hope BayTSP won't crawl me with their animes. If I get a second warning, it might get bad.
Old 2009-10-10, 11:31   Link #473
npcomplete

^ not sure what's meant by video mounting but try Blender VSE (the video sequence editor of the same 3D modeling tool) if you're looking for something to edit with.
npcomplete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-17, 21:25   Link #474
Mr Bland
Photographers are sexy.

Comcast ISP bittorrent troubles...

Well, my father received e-mails stating that he was downloading software and media via bittorrent was subjected to copywright... bla bla blah...

Well I am worried that I will no longer be able to download anime series, particularly ones that are ongoing as of now. NO WAY IN HELL AM I WAITING FOR THE NEXT HIDAMARI SKETCH TO EVER GET ENGLISH DVDS!!!

So, uh has anybody had this problem, and are they able to work around it? It isn't a scare tactic, people have been busted apparantly, including a woman who only downloaded 24 songs, and was forced to pay a fee of some ten to hundred thousand USD for it. PER SONG. I really don't want that to happen, especially with my families current financial situation.

No names of any anime series were in the list of accused downloads my father received.

Please help!
Mr Bland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-17, 22:50   Link #475
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Didn't browse the "download" section very closely (or the forum threads on alternatives), did you?
There are literally pages and pages on this issue, the legal aspects, and the technical aspects.

For your particular situation... I'd say learn to use IRC (and xdcc) or find sources to direct download. Torrents are simply too easy to collect IPs for.

Most series are not watched.... but a few series are usually singled out for monitoring. Aniplex production series are the most often monitored.

Watch the forums, especially for BayTSP remarks, to get an idea of which series entail the most risk.
Old 2009-10-17, 23:45   Link #476
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

This is a big problem with P2P because some people leave their connection unsecured or use WEP that can be cracked within minutes, which can allow leachers to piggyback on your wifi and can download illegal content and eventually the owner will get a email like this even though he/she did not download such content.

I can't stress it enough, secure your wireless networks using WPA/WPA 2 Personal instead of leaving your networks open or using WEP. This will prevent strangers from leaching onto your wireless network. The only bad thing is you cannot connect your DS to the internet with WPA since it doesn't support it.
Old 2009-10-18, 00:38   Link #477
mit7059

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bland View Post
Well, my father received e-mails stating that he was downloading software and media via bittorrent was subjected to copywright... bla bla blah...

Well I am worried that I will no longer be able to download anime series, particularly ones that are ongoing as of now. NO WAY IN HELL AM I WAITING FOR THE NEXT HIDAMARI SKETCH TO EVER GET ENGLISH DVDS!!!

So, uh has anybody had this problem, and are they able to work around it? It isn't a scare tactic, people have been busted apparantly, including a woman who only downloaded 24 songs, and was forced to pay a fee of some ten to hundred thousand USD for it. PER SONG. I really don't want that to happen, especially with my families current financial situation.

No names of any anime series were in the list of accused downloads my father received.

Please help!
Actually it is just a scare tactic. The RIAA has stopped prosecuting individual downloaders, the cases you are talking about are from several years ago with the appeals just finishing recently. Also those people were those who fought it instead of taking a settlement, generally less than $1k.
Anyways back to the letters you've been getting. For the most part they are a scare tactic, a representative of the movie industry or whoever will download a torrent, record the ip's of everyone they connect to and then send out notices to the ISPs who then in turn send you a notice. They send out thousands at a time to scare people. Yes they do prosecute a few, mainly so that stories about them prosecuting stay in the news. But I've gotten about 4 or 5 of they letters you describe and nothing has ever come of it. It is a very effective scare tactic, it freaked out my parents a couple of years ago just like its freaking out yours now, but I wouldn't worry about it.

If you're still worried then you can try to get access to a private tracker, slightly more secure but still vulnerable. Or you can learn how to use IRC or usenet. Another thing you can do, although its bad manners, is to not seed torrents, kill them as soon as they finish. This way you minimize the amount of time you are connected. It is poor torrent manners though.

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
mit7059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-18, 00:44   Link #478
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by mit7059 View Post
For the most part they are a scare tactic, a representative of the movie industry or whoever will download a torrent, record the ip's of everyone they connect to and then send out notices to the ISPs who then in turn send you a notice. They send out thousands at a time to scare people.
They aren't just a scare tactic. Since most ISPs have policies regarding these letters and their AUP, this is also an action to get the ISPs to act against the users. Some ISPs and .edu's will turn off internet on students who receive the letters, etc.
Old 2009-10-18, 00:50   Link #479
mit7059

Quote:
They aren't just a scare tactic. Since most ISPs have policies regarding these letters and their AUP, this is also an action to get the ISPs to act against the users. Some ISPs and .edu's will turn off internet on students who receive the letters, etc.
I don't know about your school but at mine its still a scare tactic, they might tell you that they're going to do something but I know for a fact that they never have, regardless of the number of letters they've gotten. The best is MIT though, they reject all letters and subpoenas they get (and they get quite of few, it must be really nice for all the students being directly connected to the internet via fiber like that). Granted I haven't gotten a notice from comcast in a couple of years, but when I did get them they never said anything about removing service. Regardless the answer is not to stop torrenting but to torrent more intelligently.

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
mit7059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-18, 01:06   Link #480
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by mit7059 View Post
I don't know about your school but at mine its still a scare tactic, they might tell you that they're going to do something but I know for a fact that they never have, regardless of the number of letters they've gotten. The best is MIT though, they reject all letters and subpoenas they get (and they get quite of few, it must be really nice for all the students being directly connected to the internet via fiber like that). Granted I haven't gotten a notice from comcast in a couple of years, but when I did get them they never said anything about removing service. Regardless the answer is not to stop torrenting but to torrent more intelligently.
That's nice but don't generalize your anecdotal experience to "the way it is" -- this is the WORLDWIDE web and laws, experiences, and probabilities vary considerably depending on your school and jurisdiction.

In some cases, not torrenting *is* the best solution. Besides, there are alternatives on the internet.

Tags
dmca