AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2010-02-15, 11:12   Link #8681
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron008R View Post
Actually...
Spoiler for pics:

She comes to mind when I think of Short-hair Keroko...

Who's this doppleganger character supposed to be again?

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-15, 11:13   Link #8682
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

Looks more like a mini-Nove than a Evil!Nanoha lol

NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-15, 11:16   Link #8683
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post

Who's this doppleganger character supposed to be again?
One of the enemies from the PSP games.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-15, 11:47   Link #8684
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

She have a name... or is she just Evil!Nanohadoppleganger for life?

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
Old 2010-02-15, 11:48   Link #8685
Laith
Even if it just for a bit
*Author

Material - S for the Nanoha clone, Material - L is for the Fate clone and Material - D is for the Hayate clone.
Laith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-15, 11:53   Link #8686
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Material... LSD?

*SHOT*

Old 2010-02-15, 12:14   Link #8687
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Material... LSD?

*SHOT*
At that point, you expect the Beatles.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-15, 12:45   Link #8688
krisslanza
Sleep beneath the flowers

I thought I read somewhere that they're defense programs from the Book of Darkness or something.

The letter I guess is like an element so...
Material-S: Star?
Material-L: Lightning
Material-D: Darkness
Old 2010-02-15, 20:59   Link #8689
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Yes, the irony did not escape me either. Though Keroko's hair is going to be slightly different.
When I saw Mat-S, I was thinking of casting her jacket as Keroko's for Magical Lyrical Nanoha (OC) Season 1. Looks like I wasn't too far off...

Though I'm still wondering what shorthairs!Keroko is li--

MISAKA?! YOU'RE NOT THINKING OF MISAKA ARE YOU?!
Old 2010-02-15, 23:59   Link #8690
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Nope. Not at all, try again.
Old 2010-02-18, 15:48   Link #8691
Comartemis
He Who Smites Shippers

Had a thought about a device type a minute ago. We've got unison devices already, but do we have anything like device familiars?

I'm thinking of something like an inverse to the unison device concept. UDs like Rein and Agito are designed primarily to enhance the power and ability of their masters but can also fight separately from them using their own abilities. What I'm thinking of are devices designed to fight for their masters but also possessing the ability to Unison In with their masters and enhance their abilities as a secondary function. Think of those device personification images you've probably seen of Levantine or Raising Heart on danbooru or in the image thread and you've got the right idea.

Kill the Darkfic.
Burn the Angst.
Purge the Bad End.
Comartemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-18, 20:06   Link #8692
Estavali
物語は、もう、おしまい……?

Imho it would be easier to create a system/situation in which a familiar merges with the master for a power-up.

Firstly the familiar through their contract is already connected to the master, and from one PoV is part of the master since the magus is in fact sharing part of his/her mana with the familiar. All you need now is a spell, a magical system or a modification to an existing system that allows them to merge as one.

Secondly, you'll find that it's not easy to define what's so different between a device familiar as you've described and an UD like Rein and Agito, or for that matter, a regular familiar like Arf. For the former you have also stated that, in addition to the Unison function, they are also capable of operating aside from their partners. For the latter, it's much more economic, in terms of time and resources, for the magus to create his own familiar through the usual way. Also the purpose of a device is to act as a casting aid for magus (though for Belkan knights this seems to be a secondary function). It would go against this principle if the device goes out and fight on its own, leaving the master bereft of its functions as a device. It's like, say, sending the goalkeeper out to the front instead of staying put at the goal post and actually perform his duties as the last man standing (between the rival striker and his goal shot).

That said, allow me to share an idea of mine that is somewhat similiar to yours.
Spoiler for Click for ramblings:

Signature by liro
Estavali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-18, 21:18   Link #8693
Comartemis
He Who Smites Shippers

I think I've seen that one before; one of your characters had a scorpion like that, right?

Quote:
Secondly, you'll find that it's not easy to define what's so different between a device familiar as you've described and an UD like Rein and Agito, or for that matter, a regular familiar like Arf.
The problem there might be that I didn't describe it very well.

Spoiler for theoretical rambling:

How's that?

Kill the Darkfic.
Burn the Angst.
Purge the Bad End.
Old 2010-02-18, 21:58   Link #8694
Estavali
物語は、もう、おしまい……?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comartemis View Post
I think I've seen that one before; one of your characters had a scorpion like that, right?
That would be Eva's Evangeline =3

Quote:
The problem there might be that I didn't describe it very well.

Spoiler for theoretical rambling:

How's that?
Hmm, okay, so you've answered as to why a magus would prefer a familiar device to a familiar in terms of power consumption. However, the familiar device, as you have said, boost the magus' power and assists in ensuring safety when using her enhanced power (this sounds a lot like the Boost Device AFAIK, with an emphasis on boosting the master instead of others) when unisoned. This leaves the question whether the FD is capable of assisting the master in the same manner when not unisoned, or does it serves the master just like any other familiar when seperated. Because, if so, aside from the power issue, I still think a familiar can do what a FD can do as well, with the right adjustments.

From my PoV, I think it's better that you don't set this down as a device but make it instead into a type of android that has the FD's functions, but perhaps it's just me stuck to the idea that devices are meant to be an extension of the master.

Signature by liro
Estavali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-18, 22:17   Link #8695
Comartemis
He Who Smites Shippers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estavali View Post
Hmm, okay, so you've answered as to why a magus would prefer a familiar device to a familiar in terms of power consumption. However, the familiar device, as you have said, boost the magus' power and assists in ensuring safety when using her enhanced power (this sounds a lot like the Boost Device AFAIK, with an emphasis on boosting the master instead of others) when unisoned. This leaves the question whether the FD is capable of assisting the master in the same manner when not unisoned, or does it serves the master just like any other familiar when seperated.
It serves like a familiar, but remember that unison devices don't seem to grant their masters any particular benefit when not united with them either (or at least Rein and Agito don't seem to). There's also nothing stopping a mage from using another device in concert with the familiar device.

And on that note, I really need to come up with a better name for these things...

Quote:
Because, if so, aside from the power issue, I still think a familiar can do what a FD can do as well, with the right adjustments.
True, but the power issue is a big advantage over the familiar system. Anyone with a linker core can have a familiar device if they find one or have the resources to make one, but only powerful mages like Fate and Gil Graham can make familiars with humanoid appearances (or at least that's my interpretation) without severely hampering their spellcasting abilities.

Mostly though, these devices are custom-built for SaintS so Arisa can have one. It's more convenient for plot purposes for her to get a device like this instead of a standard familiar or a Yuuno-equivalent who just happens to have a device that works for her. Incidentally, her device is one of the main OCs of SaintS.

Kill the Darkfic.
Burn the Angst.
Purge the Bad End.

Last edited by Comartemis; 2010-02-18 at 22:28.
Old 2010-02-19, 23:45   Link #8696
agetreme
Just another Idiot

I have an idea similar to the Familiar device but instead of being an actual familiar, it is more like a intelligent device with unison-like capability in form of a bird. I am too lazy to think of a special name for it so I will just call it Affinity Device.

Instead of granting power boost, it give armor, weapon and magic affinity to the mage. The magic affinity granted can be combined with a mage with natural magic affinity for stronger effect (Fire Affinity device unisoned with a fire affinity mage can make bigger explosion) or weird additional effect (e.g. A ice Affinity device unisoned with a fire affinity mage can make a cold flame or a burning ice).
Old 2010-02-28, 11:31   Link #8697
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

Spoiler for Prologue; Depths of Isolation:

Spoiler for Author's Notes:

Old 2010-02-28, 17:51   Link #8698
JamesEdwards
ANTI-Nonsense

Send a message via AIM to JamesEdwards
@AX:

Well, your narration has certainly gotten better since you started way back when, e.g. consistently "mature" execution, confidence, flow, and a complete vision to what you're trying to get across to the reader. The old stuff was amateurish compared to this, though aesthetically, I somewhat question your use of repeated simple sentences, for example:

"She took a small piece of the blob with the fork and shoved it into her mouth. She munched on it for a fraction of a second before swallowing it quickly. The taste wasn't a surprise. She didn't even have the motivation to grimace at it anymore. Even that had gone into routine. Routine."

If that's supposed to be characterization on Bloody Seven's part, then that's fine and dandy, 'cause you can understand an "Animal" having a very utilitarian and economic way with words. But if this was the supreme narrator from the first part, describing McClusky and the Archangel facility... Like, c'mon, what the heck, y'know?

As for the Blood Angel (pfffftttt! How the mighty have fallen), I hope she has some actual psychopaths on the level with or higher than her to "play" with, which was something I felt was missing from the first run of the series. After the first couple of entries, it got pretty boring once you realized she was an immature, creepy, broken brat going around murdering people on a whim. If she had gone up against one of her own kind, she would have been easy prey for the worse off monsters out there. Hell, she was lucky too she only picked on "normal" humans.

Just the one somewhat "abnormal" human almost did her in. Pitiable. Really. (AX you were totally molly coddling her, weren't you?)

Anyways, my qualm here is that it's a big, bad world out there, and it's ludicrous she managed to stay under the radar for so long without bumping into another "Monster", before being taken down by the authorities.

Well, that's that. Let's see where you go from here.
Old 2010-02-28, 18:17   Link #8699
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

It's indeed a big, bad world. Emphasis on big. Not all that strange she doesn't bump into other monsters when staying bellow the radar.

That said, do I detect a whiff of ME2 inspiration along with the others? A pinch of Purgatory, a little whiff of Jack and a tiny hint of Omega?
Old 2010-02-28, 18:30   Link #8700
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
That said, do I detect a whiff of ME2 inspiration along with the others? A pinch of Purgatory, a little whiff of Jack and a tiny hint of Omega?
A bit. I can't deny it's inspired by it, although that wasn't my initial thought. It just sort of happened.

Tags
hayaurion, kaonland, keroland, khrack, original content