AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2009-09-05, 11:18   Link #19361
yggdrasil325
Hikikomori in a box

... Are you trying to get us trapped in TVTrope-land forever?

LONG LIVE THE QUEEN.
yggdrasil325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-05, 11:58   Link #19362
otai

Send a message via MSN to otai
@Kaisos: Sorry about my lack of supportive comments earlier. Just not too good with the sappy stuff. Will be glad that you won't die young.

Anyway, I've thought of another piece of technobabble to insert. Probably when Mitsuuru and Kyonko are talking about the differences between the Endless Eight repetitions and actual alternate universes.

The repeats in August are not alternate universes. From the universe's point of view, those are simply loops in the timeline.

Each iteration of those 2 weeks may have played out differently, but they are all connected as the same continuous event. Iteration no. 1 is followed sequentially by iteration no. 2, and so on.

Picture a table as the universe; and a tablecloth on top of it that is creased and folded 15,498 times as the timeline.

If there is an alternate universe, picture another table; and the tablecloth on it has a different number of folds, perhaps 15,532... OH SHI-
otai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-05, 12:48   Link #19363
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Kyonko's whole point is "what if they aren't just loops, what if they became alternate universes"?

You did, however, guess at something important, i.e. the difference between the anime and novel canon.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-05, 13:31   Link #19364
otai

Send a message via MSN to otai
The fact that every loop became the next loop is still worth repeating. The likelihood of the loops becoming alternate universes is about the same as creating alternate universes by getting out of bed with a different foot every morning.

Kyoani has a history of making anime different from the sauce. We can only guess how significant this change is. They might even justify a different ending. (Most blatant sauce remix by Kyoani are the yuri twins in FMP:TSR. More fanboy friendly, but who really believed that "I love you, Kasshim" Gauron would adopt a pair of girls? )
otai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-05, 16:33   Link #19365
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Didn't Gatou approve of that change?

Also, more writeup for you all:

Spoiler for September the Fifth, Day 4, Interlude 4: Other Side- Sealed Realities:

Last edited by Tyabann; 2009-10-05 at 01:08.
Old 2009-09-05, 16:45   Link #19366
swtrooper42
Melancholic Swim Captain

Shit just hit the fan I think.

I'm guessing that's Itsuko's mother/Director of the Organization. Who's the interface?

Close Curtains, Thwart Snipers
Sameo, Paladin of Legend
swtrooper42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-05, 16:50   Link #19367
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtrooper42 View Post
Who's the interface?
Just another interface, presumably senior in authority to Nagato and Kimidori.

And the Director isn't in charge of the Agency/Organization.
Old 2009-09-05, 16:55   Link #19368
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

Send a message via AIM to DJ_RockmanX Send a message via MSN to DJ_RockmanX
Good to see you back in action, Kaisos. I await the next Haruki-side interlude.

DJ_RockmanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-05, 17:02   Link #19369
Heatth

Send a message via MSN to Heatth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post

Spoiler for September the Fifth, Day 4, Interlude 4: Other Side- Sealed Realities:
Interesting interlude. I am also curious about the interface, specially because it is a woman. It shouldn't be a guy? I mean, in the normal universe there is no male interface, so I guess there is no female interface in the seitenkan verse(but, of couse, neve was stated it can't be male interfaces, might be only a concidence).

The other curiosity is why the director herself would go to the meeting. Shouldn't be Mori, Arakawa or the Tamaru sisters? (well, is kinda understandable, tough)

Also, say Mitsuru(Big) disappear/die after that 46 hours. What would happen if Mitsuru back latter? Also, shouldn't he be worried about why he exists or why he can't remember anything about it? It is kinda against what he knows about time-travel right?

Also, I believe you made a small mistake:
Quote:
Kyon-chan must have gone too, huh…? I hope she got that weapon working.
Is the only line in the first person.

Also, I am glad you are good enough to write (I tought ou would back just after be sure you are alright). Specially because you said one of the symptom you have is lack of concentration. I really envy you, if you still able to write anything with less concentration then usual.
Heatth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-05, 17:20   Link #19370
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatth View Post
Interesting interlude. I am also curious about the interface, specially because it is a woman. It shouldn't be a guy? I mean, in the normal universe there is no male interface, so I guess there is no female interface in the seitenkan verse(but, of couse, neve was stated it can't be male interfaces, might be only a concidence).
Only female interfaces have appeared in canon because cute girls sell more merchandise.

Why would there NOT be other interfaces?

Quote:
The other curiosity is why the director herself would go to the meeting. Shouldn't be Mori, Arakawa or the Tamaru sisters? (well, is kinda understandable, tough)
"Director" as in "Director of a particular division", not "Director of the entire Agency".

But it's not like that matters much.

Quote:
Also, say Mitsuru(Big) disappear/die after that 46 hours. What would happen if Mitsuru back latter? Also, shouldn't he be worried about why he exists or why he can't remember anything about it? It is kinda against what he knows about time-travel right?
BM is degenerating because causality is catching up to him. He's well aware this is completely abnormal, but they're dealing with Haruki Suzumiya here (they assume). Abnormality is normal around him.

Quote:
Is the only line in the first person.
All the interludes have some sort of viewpoint character. It's intentional.
Old 2009-09-05, 17:23   Link #19371
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:

Solid write-up. Moves the plot along nicely.

Actually don't have much more to add as I'm not a big Asahina fan (either gender), and this is pretty much all Asahina.
Old 2009-09-05, 17:45   Link #19372
vivify93

Send a message via MSN to vivify93
Good work, Kaisos!

I like these interludes.
Old 2009-09-05, 17:47   Link #19373
Heatth

Quote:
Only female interfaces have appeared in canon because cute girls sell more merchandise.

Why would there NOT be other interfaces?
Don't know. That is the point.

Seeing how Kimidori sell well even having only one appearance in the anime you might be right. However, he was not created with that intention, I believe. Her first appearance in the novel was long before Suzumiya Haruhi being famous right? She, at last, was not intented to be selled by Tanigawa (unlike, maybe, Yui and Ryoko, who have both important roles in the story)

Quote:
"Director" as in "Director of a particular division", not "Director of the entire Agency".

But it's not like that matters much.
I see, she is less important then I tought. Well, as you said, is not really that important.

Quote:
BM is degenerating because causality is catching up to him. He's well aware this is completely abnormal, but they're dealing with Haruki Suzumiya here (they assume). Abnormality is normal around him.
I was more curious about why he is not wondering how wrong the situation is to him. As far as he nows, he shouldn't die like that because the past is immutable. And, if he being alive means Mitsuuru(small) back form whereever he is, why he don't remember? Shouldn't he being worried about it?

Quote:
All the interludes have some sort of viewpoint character. It's intentional.
I know that. However, every interlude is telled in the third person. Even being by one character point of view. This interlude is the same, exept for that line. Shouldn't be something like "Kyon-chan must have gone too. Asahina Mitsuuru can only hope she got that weapon working."
Old 2009-09-05, 17:52   Link #19374
Sho-tan
Seitenkan's Shota

Quote:

I know that. However, every interlude is telled in the third person. Even being by one character point of view. This interlude is the same, exept for that line. Shouldn't be something like "Kyon-chan must have gone too. Asahina Mitsuuru can only hope she got that weapon working."
that part of the interlude is Mitsuuru's thoughts, it's only natural that they're in first person.
Sho-tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-05, 18:00   Link #19375
Heatth

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOS Dan SlaveMonkey View Post
that part of the interlude is Mitsuuru's thoughts, it's only natural that they're in first person.
The point is the rest of the interlude is in the third person, even if is his toughts.

Some exemples:

Quote:
"Mitsuuru Asahina’s number was up, and he knew it."

"Mitsuuru Asahina smirked, glad that the Director couldn’t see him."

"Now he knew better."
Old 2009-09-05, 18:04   Link #19376
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
I was more curious about why he is not wondering how wrong the situation is to him. As far as he nows, he shouldn't die like that because the past is immutable. And, if he being alive means Mitsuuru(small) back form whereever he is, why he don't remember? Shouldn't he being worried about it?
Like I said, Big Mitsuuru no longer believes that the past is immutable. He's trying to keep it in line with what he knows, but he also knows that when Haruki Suzumiya is involved, causality no longer works the way it should.

And he's already accepted his death, in any case, so there's little to worry about anymore.

Quote:
I know that. However, every interlude is telled in the third person. Even being by one character point of view. This interlude is the same, exept for that line.
The last one did this too.
Old 2009-09-05, 18:12   Link #19377
Heatth

Quote:
Like I said, Big Mitsuuru no longer believes that the past is immutable. He's trying to keep it in line with what he knows, but he also knows that when Haruki Suzumiya is involved, causality no longer works the way it should.
I see. Make sense

Quote:
And he's already accepted his death, in any case, so there's little to worry about anymore.
It seen Haruki did a good job making he more manly

Quote:
The last one did this too.
The last interlude or the last line? Neither have it, anyway. It is always in the third person.

Anyway, it is odd shifting from third person to the first and then to the third again. Or so I think(is not like I really now anything about what I am saying).

PP:
Just now I noticide the last line form the previous scene and the first of that on is the same
Old 2009-09-05, 18:16   Link #19378
Sho-tan
Seitenkan's Shota

Quote:
The point is the rest of the interlude is in the third person, even if is his toughts.

Some exemples:
I think that's the narration, not Mitsuuru's thoughts.
Sho-tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-05, 18:24   Link #19379
Heatth

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOS Dan SlaveMonkey View Post
I think that's the narration, not Mitsuuru's thoughts.
Yeah, that is the point. Notmal narration is Kyon(ko)'s toughts. Interlude narrations are a outside narrator, who also narrate the tought of the character it is the focus.

You don't need to show the toughts of the character whose is the point of view of the scene. Harry Potter books, for exemple, are mostly from Harry's perspective, yet, is still third person.
Old 2009-09-05, 18:25   Link #19380
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
The last interlude or the last line? Neither have it, anyway. It is always in the third person.
Quote:
How dare they just up and leave without taking the Supremely Manly Brigade Chief with them.

If they had just asked, I’d have been so happy to have come along.
From the last interlude.

Tags
genderbender, seitenkan