AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Visual Novels, Mobage & Anime Spin-Off Games

Notices

Old 2009-12-17, 14:22   Link #201
Sides

Seems i'm having bad luck, got my CD+BOA poster ^^ from cdjapan, but still waiting for tales of graces from playasia and tales of vesperia from yesasia, waiting for TOV 4 weeks already ;_;.Must be an issue with HK posts since the CD came from japan directly and arrived within a week, the usual shipping time for items i get from japan and HK.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-17, 14:30   Link #202
Varion
殲滅天使

Send a message via AIM to Varion Send a message via MSN to Varion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
Seems i'm having bad luck, got my CD+BOA poster ^^ from cdjapan, but still waiting for tales of graces from playasia and tales of vesperia from yesasia, waiting for TOV 4 weeks already ;_;.Must be an issue with HK posts since the CD came from japan directly and arrived within a week, the usual shipping time for items i get from japan and HK.
4 weeks for Vesperia? I'd contact YesAsia about that, I think a month would probably qualify for them to send a second one in case it got lost. 7 days after Graces' release doesn't seem anything much to worry about (I only got mine quickly because of EMS) but 4 weeks? Yeah...
Varion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-17, 14:37   Link #203
Sides

Yeah, just send a email to yesasia this morning. It is the second time something got lost, last time it was Demon's souls, also from yesasia, it took finally 2-3 months until i got a replacement. But it seems strange that only ps3 games keep disappearing from yesasia, all my other stuff keroro model kits, DVD, NDS and Wii games do arrive spot on within 7 days.
Old 2009-12-17, 14:52   Link #204
Varion
殲滅天使

Clearly someone's been stealing the PS3 games!

4 weeks ago though... wasn't that the postal strike? Or didn't that affect Scotland? Can't say I'd be surprised if stuff got lost during that, it added about 2 weeks to the delivery time of my copy of Bayonetta from YesAsia, at least.
Old 2009-12-18, 04:19   Link #205
Sides

Nah, the royal mail strike ended on the 5th November, i got my order send out on the 18th.

New costumes coming soon for the boys ^^, you can see a scan over on talesunion
I reckon this game will end up being the most expensive Wii game to date, IRC it's rrp was already placed higher than most Wii titles and the the DLC costumes cost 400pts each.
Old 2009-12-19, 02:04   Link #206
mageormike
Resident Gaijin

those suits are stylin.

I might go for it later, though Asbel's coat never gets tiring for me.
Old 2009-12-20, 07:09   Link #207
IchiKyo
大いなる希望の力、キュア・ドリーム!

Send a message via AIM to IchiKyo Send a message via MSN to IchiKyo Send a message via Yahoo to IchiKyo
Finally finish the game in 67h.
Only remaining some subquests and i will replaying it using the Grade Shop in CHAOS Difficulty.

For those who have finished the game, about the ending.
Spoiler:

Some subquests are definitely epic XD. The Theater part, or the Spa Island part XD
Spoiler:
IchiKyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-20, 09:51   Link #208
Sides

More dlc costumes announced for TOG and TOV during this years jump festival, pics on dengeki.com
Wonder if DL content to extent the game is actually possible, rather than just releasing costumes for 400pts each.
Old 2009-12-20, 09:59   Link #209
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by IchiKyo View Post
For those who have finished the game, about the ending.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 2009-12-22, 07:13   Link #210
IchiKyo
大いなる希望の力、キュア・ドリーム!

Send a message via AIM to IchiKyo Send a message via MSN to IchiKyo Send a message via Yahoo to IchiKyo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 2009-12-22, 09:01   Link #211
Sides

New challenges and costumes will be up tomorrow, or in few hours, 23/12/2009 ~13:00 JST

HK post service delay, according to P-A, so i won't get the game until next year. I wished they would have contacted me and ask if i would like to upgrade to ems or courier service, had it preordered since October.

Last edited by Sides; 2009-12-23 at 10:57.
Old 2009-12-23, 20:55   Link #212
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 2009-12-26, 17:57   Link #213
The Master
*Author

Just got Tales of Vesperia and Symphonia: Dawn of a New World for Christmas. Might be finished in time for a UK release date for Graces to be announced (wishful thinking I know :P)
Old 2009-12-26, 18:56   Link #214
Varion
殲滅天使

Alright, I'm still on the final dungeon, but now I've started playing FF13 and after that will most likely have to start studying for university exams and the like I dunno when I'll actually bother to finish this thing - and seen as no one's really posted any spoiler free impressions, I'll stick the usual bullet points up now, and change them after finishing if there's anything to really change. I don't think there will be though.

Pro:
- The battle system. Hands down this is the best 3D Tales battle system as far as I'm concerned, and I'd love many of the systems like the CC and sidestepping to return in future titles. The battles are enough of a reason to play the game on their own. I suggest not playing the game on normal difficulty though, you'll find it more enjoyable to play on the Second difficulty (or if you're braver than me, Hard).
- Classic controls! While Ratatosk wasn't quite as bad as I feared with the Wiimote, playing this game with the classic controller pro was *so* much better. There are many games that benefit from Wiimote controls, but Tales is most definitely not one of them.
- The non-battle music is better than Vesperia's. I hesitate to say it's good (see cons), but it's at least standard Abyss-ish stuff rather than the horrible monotony of most of Vesperia's tracks. It sounded like they replaced Aoyama as secondary composer with Tamura again.
- Decent length. Took me 40 hours to get to the final dungeon, though it may have been less as I had a habit of leaving the console on while doing other things. Not too short, but not too long, either.
- Graphics noticeably better than Ratatosk - the areas, the character models, the menus, they're all a lot more polished.
- Hell, much of the game's system in general just feels polished. There are even cute little touches like being able to see how much HP (both in numbers and % of bar) you'll have *after* using a healing item. There's quite a few little touches like that that while not exactly gamechanging in themselves add together to make the experience that much more enjoyable.
- Extras and subquests! They are numerous and they are many. Everything you'd expect from a Tales game, rare items, titles, monster books, trading cards, and so on. Even better, places where you can do something subquest related are clearly marked by either a star on the ground (for an area event), or a symbol over a character's head (for a talk activated event), which makes them so much easier to look for.
- Titles are actually useful this time! Massively so, even. Unlike in the past few games where they've been little more than novelties and titles, this time all your skills are gained from your equipped title (and once you've learned one it stays even when you remove the title, with no irritating SP management to handle ala Vesperia).
- The grade shop is Hardcore now. It actually feels a lot more deserving of the name - while everything is a lot cheaper, battles don't reward you with grade individually, you get it at the end of the game based on how well you did - how many skills you got, how many subevents you cleared, and so on, as well as single number bonuses if you didn't die or didn't use any gels during the game.

Con:
- Sigh, the story. It felt like I was constantly waiting for a plot twist that only really happened too late, and even then, there was just nothing to really make me care all that much.
- Sigh, the characters. They're above average in general thanks to the skits, but I can't really say any of the characters is actually memorable in any real way - about the only one I'll likely take away from the game is Sophie, and that's only because she's adorable (some of her skits still make me smile after the tenth time hearing them), not because her character is particularly deep or memorable in any real way.
- Sigh, the script. A fun thing to do if you're into that kind of thing would be to go through this game's cutscenes and have a drink every time someone says 'protect'. You will be very, very drunk by the end. I don't usually expect masterpieces of literature from my Japanese RPG scripts, but some scenes in Graces were just painful to read.
- The world feels very, very small. 3 major continents with a decent smattering of towns on each sounds alright on paper, but looking at the game's map and playing the game itself, it does feel quite empty and sparse. The lack of a world map you can actually fly around doesn't help either, though I like that you can at least find secret areas on the world map from the airship screen.
- Sakuraba tried to do something different with the battle music, this time. Okay, this isn't a con in itself - I don't blame anyone at this point who thinks the man needs to experiment. The only problem is that apparently when he experiments the results are ten times worse than the standard stuff. While there two regular style tracks, the others include some random tinkling for the ice region, and Tales of the Riverdance. The latter is particularly painful.

So I guess the easy summary version of this is the gameplay's absolutely fantastic, and the actual story, characters and world are disappointingly weak. Unless the only thing that matters to you is the story I would still suggest people buy the game when it comes out because of the gameplay alone, as it's not like the rest is anywhere near unplayable or anything, it's just somewhat disappointing considering what I've come to expect.
Old 2009-12-26, 19:20   Link #215
Excorsism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varion View Post
Wall of text
Doesn't seem like Bamco plans on ever making a Tales game with actual effort in the story and characters huh.. thanks for confirming my worst fears.
Old 2009-12-26, 19:37   Link #216
IchiKyo
大いなる希望の力、キュア・ドリーム!

I heard that the Second Playthrough is covered with a full list of bug
Painful reward when you are about to use the Grade Shop at the end
Old 2009-12-26, 22:43   Link #217
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
I heard that the Second Playthrough is covered with a full list of bug
There are only a few major bugs. Sadly, they are really hard to avoid... Because they all involve keeping stuff for the 2nd playthrough and above.
If you keep your titles, a bug occurs.
If you keep your discovery book, a bug occurs. If you DON'T keep your discovery book, another different bug occurs. ("Do you want to bug? Yes or Hai?)
If you do not keep your stamps and keep the discovery book, a bug occurs.

These are the major bugs, it seems.
Pretty much, simplified:
If you plan to fully complete the game, prepare for pain...

There are a lot more bugs, but they aren't that major. So I can't really say it makes a "full list", and a lot of the bugs are not 2nd playthrough+ only.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-27, 13:26   Link #218
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

That's why we get the Japanese to playtest the game before us. :P It's likely that they'll be fixed by the time the game's translated to English.
Old 2009-12-27, 15:13   Link #219
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

They usually iron out the bugs when it gets released outside of Japan. The Euro versions are usually the best version with the least amount of problems.
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-27, 19:41   Link #220
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
The Euro versions are usually the best version with the least amount of problems.
Although they get the game a whole year later.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
game, games, rpg