AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > To Aru... Index [LN/M]

Notices

View Poll Results: To Aru Majutsu no Index LN - New Testament Volume 15 Rating
Perfect 10 17 30.91%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 16 29.09%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 11 20.00%
7 out of 10 : Good 6 10.91%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 3.64%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.82%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 3.64%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2016-04-28, 10:08   Link #721
Chosen_Hero

^At this point I would say that to not expect Accelerator to even make an appearance unless a loli is involved in some sort of way.
Old 2016-04-28, 10:43   Link #722
UsagiTenpura
Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
In any case, Kamachi has been wrongly using Accel post NT10. If he's not chilling around in his apartment, then he's stomping idiots. There's almost no middle point.
There's something to be said about how he saved Touma from being beaten up by a bunch of fangirls even tho that didn't get much focus.
More importantly tho, I disagree : Salome is not an idiot.

Anyway Accelerator will inevitably become part of the focus again eventually, wether that time is nearby or not is another thing. However I'm sorta hoping, as much as I like toaru, that we're actually moving foward toward the end right now. I don't want to have 20 more books with new categories of villains altogether appearing. What Laura began to plot at the end of WW3 is finally starting to move, hopefully that will continue instead of taking more detours.
IT is also finally becoming a focus of the story, I'm going to hope this focus grows instead of being shoved aside. The introduction of NT15 at the very least felt like the beginning of a story arc that would be about IT.
UsagiTenpura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-28, 12:47   Link #723
SilverTalon

Quote:
Remember, however, that she is the poster girl of the Power Development Curriculum. She'll be at the forefront of backlash at the side of Academy City if ever the Parameter List is exposed.
The city getting backlack is their problem though. She might feel some pressure for it as they were using her as the poster child, but that it would break her? No way. After overcoming the sister's crisis and others, something that trivial would break her? Especially given the current circumstances where the head of AC is out to kill her, I really don't think she would be too concerned with their backlash.

Besides that isn't just her finding out about it, but the public finding out about it. If the parameter list is going to be used, it is going to be used against AC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonXX View Post
Parameter List which will right out tell her what her limit is the important part is what I was saying because she started on the path of breaking, this will break her because it will truly tell her she can go no farer on the path of Science which will push her to magic 100% and even that little thing she feeling in the back of her mind will be gone and the moment she chooses Magic over science will be the end of her if Crowley doesn't do it first.
If that is where you were going, why mention that part about her having worked hard becoming a lie?

Regardless, that is pretty irrelevant too. She already learned way back during the sister's arc and again during Daihaseisai that according to AC, Accelerator is the only one who can reach level 6 (and not die). So she knows her 'limit' according to the science side is level 5.
SilverTalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-28, 12:54   Link #724
Marina2

*Finished NT15*

Spoiler for NT15:
Old 2016-04-28, 13:35   Link #725
Tiken
Supreme Coconut Edgelord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosen_Hero View Post
Why? Because you say so? Because some people just think so? Why would they matter all of a sudden when they haven't even been relevant to the story so far? Accelerator is just mr Deus ex Machina for those times that Kamachi wants to just show someone ripping through his opponents, about all he could do is just help Touma by "keeping opponent's busy (a.k.a. destroying them). And, it's not like Mikoto is even connected to the Misaka Network, heck at most the Sisters would just act as decoys and die in the process. Literally the only ones connected to whatever is going to happen (so far) is Touma and Aleister, apart from that no one is even relevant at this point to even make that kind of guess work.
Uh...no? Because aside from the fact that he is dependent on there being enough clones for his choker to continue functioning, Last Order would probably know that they are being attacked. And the fact that Aleister even mentioned them at all?

It might not happen in the next volume, but it will happen that much is pretty much 100%
Tiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-28, 14:57   Link #726
SilverTalon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiken View Post
Uh...no? Because aside from the fact that he is dependent on there being enough clones for his choker to continue functioning, Last Order would probably know that they are being attacked. And the fact that Aleister even mentioned them at all?

It might not happen in the next volume, but it will happen that much is pretty much 100%
I don't really think Accel is going to have a part it in (though I'd like him to).

That said, LO and the clones would probably just ask for help directly if it went that far. Unlike most people in Raildex, the clones don't seem opposed to asking for help. There is already precedence for it from the Remnant arc. They asked both Touma and Accel to help out. I'm pretty sure the one that talked to Touma specifically mentioned it was for Mikoto so it wasn't just an act of self preservation either. So IF, and it is big if, the sisters got involved, I definitely agree Accel would almost certainly end up acting.
SilverTalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-28, 16:09   Link #727
LevelSeven

^ but like in theremnant arc you mentioned it doesnt mean that his involvement automatically means that he will have a big role in the overall plot, maybeit will be a similar amount of screentime as with nt 7 or 10 :/
LevelSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-28, 16:45   Link #728
DragonXX

I still believe the Parameter List will push Mikoto over the edge but the most important thing the Parameter List being known to all of AC would do is most likey start an all out Uprising or Civil War in AC and will make Hamazura lose his safe zone which AC through black mailing AC which it and to make thing worse if someone like Yuiitsu said that there a way out of what the Parameter List said by an LVL 5 Shift on Hamazura girlfriend. Hamazura could become the enemy of most of AC specially those who are LVL0-2 and even some of the higher LVL 3 and 4 or even people trying to kill Hamazura Girlfriend to make should they don't lose the LVL there at. Beside the backlash from outside AC and most likey a huge attack from the Magic Side when AC is in complete chaos.

I mean worst case I can think of is Laura getting a hold of The Parameter List because you think she wouldn't let the World and AC known about The Parameter List and use the Chaos to try and take contarl AC and the whole Science Side.
DragonXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-28, 17:23   Link #729
Last_Aeon
I'm a boy, enough?

Well, Accel is the ONLY guy we know who has a power that rivals an angel. (Y'know, his white wings and a halo) But as you can see. He's still in the aeon of Osiris, an age where man still worship only a single god. But Aleister wants to create an artificial angel on his own to move forward to the aeon of Horus, an age where man realize the truth and step out of the box called religion and create their own heaven.(At least that's how I see it. Please correct me if I'm wrong)
Last_Aeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-28, 17:32   Link #730
allfictions
Of Infinite Resignation

Review of NT15

(spoiler alert for those of few who haven't finished it)

Alright, now that I've finished the volume, time to do something I haven't done in ages: a review.

My reaction?

I must say, this volume was a surprise hit for me, I really didn't expect much from it but I was pleasantly proven wrong. I should keep low expectations more often.

The best quality of this story is how it is a culmination of many previous events, which are the best arcs in ToAru. Finally the events of all volumes post NT10 (many of which were seen as pointless or boring at best) and the stuff that was usually relegated to the epilogues (the best stuff IMO) rejoined in one narrative, linking what happened at the forefront and what happened behind the scenes together in an amazing climax.

Despite the presence of Kamisato, a character I have never really liked since day one, he didn't bring down the volume and, in fact, provided much tension before the true antagonist stepped up. Seeing how far Kamisato and his faction are willing to go in this volume made them more threatening than in NT14, where they were just annoying. You even get to feel sorry for Kamisato a bit before he betrays Touma. Reading the afterword also bring a better perspective of what Kamachi was trying to do, and why Kamisato looked so much of an haphazardly done antagonist and with uninteresting motivations.

The change in setting to a new school, while novel if a bit superfluous at first (really, would most of the novel be changed if Kamisato simply transferred to Touma's school?), is used really well in revealing the hidden villain all along among what seemed to be tertiary background character and as a good red herring at the same time. Seeing Touma's ennemies turning his class against him also brought that delicious despair I like to see Touma experience time to time.

As for the villains of this volume:

Salome was great for the time she was there, even if she ceased to be the main threat halfway through. I definitely liked her power, it was suitably creepy and an original magic that suitably showcased her as a powerful ennemy. More importantly, her appearance was a good way to bring back old characters we haven't seen in a while. Hamazura and Accelerator's scenes, while brief, were great, in how they re affirm their beliefs even when taunted by an unknown foe. Salome also served well as Touma's temporary ally against a greater threat, and I definitely appreciated her pointing out the flaws of Kamisato and his Faction. When a mass murderer watch you oddly, you know you went too far.

Yuiitsu is definitely the best thing of this volume, hands down. For once, behind-the-scenes plotting actually come to play in a novel chapter instead of the epilogues, and how good plotting that was. She is the one who brought back elements from previous volumes (Outsider Mental Out, St. Germain, Sample Shoggoth) and removed the seeming pointlessness of some of the previous events by using them instead of any made-up plot devices to bring down the persistent antagonist of the last 3 volumes. She was even more of a threat to Touma than Salome was (and the mental conflict Touma got facing her about whether or not to use teh gun was great too, definitely better used than in NT12 where it just sounded empty and obnoxiously preachy), and, without Mikoto's help, she could have won. I am definitely looking foward to more of her appearances.

Speaking of Mikoto, her "downfall"(?) is an interesting plot thread, if a bit tragic. I said I liked the character development she has been getting in NT (and really liked that she is getting involved in Touma's side of things), but that is quite the brutal outcome. In trying to catch up to Touma (this is a bit his fault too), she is taking a too extreme solution. I wanna see where this is going and if Kamachi can keep it for more than one volume.

Minor appreciation, but I liked the fact that the events this time were stretched over a few days (even if only 2), instead of always packed in a few hours like NT13/NT14 did, which always break my SOD in how everything happens in the same short period of time.

Unfortunately, despite having quite enjoyed the book, I still have some (admittedly minor) gripes:
  • Salome, despite her moniker of mass murderer, didn't fully feel like one. Most of her acts of violence were done off screen (like Claire's slicing and the airport worker's death(?)) and we were just given hearsay, or we only saw the aftermath like with the sacrificed members of the K Faction, who didn't die anyway (though the image was deliciously unnerving). I have definitely seen better done unhinged and violent characters, so more of that wouldn't have hurt. Seeing her only fight Mikoto and Yuiitsu, but not her bank robbing or her fight with Accelerator, was a bit disappointing IMO, especially with such an interesting power. Basically, despite the hype, she was never really a threat to the Kamijou Faction, as she either didn't attack them or attacked the powerful "members" who could give her a run for her money instead of teh weak ones.
  • Speaking of Accelerator, while I loved his glorious return, I feel he was a bit wasted after that. He is dropped off, and...we aren't shown the aftermath. A bit more could have been done on that front.
  • The mentions of Tsuchimikado were either poor foreshadowing or annoying shout outs, but regardless they were uneeded. I hate the treatment Kamachi has given Motoharu ever since the end of NT7, and constantly reminding me is grating. He can give him a proper resolution, briefly explain his situation, keep him out of the picture permanently, anything, but he instead chooses to tease with this quantum Tsuchimikado who is alive but we are only told, and then is incapacitated, has escaped his problems but we don't know how, and is all around not even a character, but a name thrown around to remind us he exists. At least the other discarded of OT are simply not mentionned at all.
  • Touma blurting out how the WR works was just...retarded. There is simply no other way to describe it. At first I thought it was a ruse of some sort, but no, Touma was that stupid. Wtf?

But overall, I quite liked this volume, as opposed to last volume, and I hope the plot continues to being relevant and unified like that from now on, no more distractions. My final verdict:

Solid 8.5/10, so a 8 in the poll. It was definitely an excellent volume in a long time after the strange succession of NT10/11/12/13/14 for me, which while were not bad volumes (I definitely enjoyed 11 and 12), they were only good enough for me, with always someting stopping me from enjoying them completely, or, in the case of NT14, caused me to skip large parts of it completely.
This is nine! Nine! This is nine! Nine! This is ten! Ten! We have killed your friends! Every friend is now dead! This is six! Six! ... Eighteen! This is now eighteen! Take cover when the siren sounds! This is four! Four! ... Five! This is five! Ignore the siren! Even if you leave this room, you can never leave this room! Eight! This is eight! ... Six, this is six. This is goddamn fucking six!

Last edited by allfictions; 2016-04-28 at 17:59.
allfictions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-28, 17:41   Link #731
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

At least Accelerator wasn't made fun of like Fiamma.
Kuroageha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-28, 18:23   Link #732
allfictions
Of Infinite Resignation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroageha View Post
At least Accelerator wasn't made fun of like Fiamma.
Don't remind me, it hurts

But at least he got shat on on screen, I can't say that much for some characters.
Quote:
Overall, it's two bad volumes followed by three better ones.
Which ones are you talking about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonXX View Post
We don't know what Laura abillies are but we at least can understand that she doesn't look at herself as human because if she did she would not of call Crowley human as if she and humans are different.
I keep seeing this, and it still doesn't make sense. She was basically mocking Aleister for thinking himself above humanity, but in the end human through and through. How do you get she is not human from that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_drian View Post
Nowdays I don't understand the Archetyphe thing
Unfortunately, you have to read Jung to understand, and that's not light reading.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaikoi View Post
I still don't get why some people like this volume 10/10.

Any reasons?
I am just as puzzled, but for different reasons than you (5/10? Bruh, seriously?). I can't say this volume is better than NT9 or the WWIII trilogy, so it really seems like an overblown score to me.
This is nine! Nine! This is nine! Nine! This is ten! Ten! We have killed your friends! Every friend is now dead! This is six! Six! ... Eighteen! This is now eighteen! Take cover when the siren sounds! This is four! Four! ... Five! This is five! Ignore the siren! Even if you leave this room, you can never leave this room! Eight! This is eight! ... Six, this is six. This is goddamn fucking six!
allfictions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-28, 19:01   Link #733
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by allfictions View Post

NT12 and 13 I guess.

Quote:
I can't say this volume is better than NT9 or the WWIII trilogy, so it really seems like an overblown score to me.
I gave it an 8, it was good enough.
Kuroageha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-28, 23:22   Link #734
BladeMancer
TheBladeThatRivesDivinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroageha View Post
NT12 and 13 I guess.

I gave it an 8, it was good enough.
Well at least it was good. It gives hope for the index franchise, because now it has an actual direction where as in the past few volumes it was kind of going all over the place
Frequent use will make it dull and brittle; it's ill sheen reflecting the wielder's lost virtues and strength. Thus comes the saying that the ire of the calm, kind and gentle forges with vengful fire a fearsome bladed edge. Pray for those whose image reflects off it, for it may only stop through reconcilatory waters or icy voids of the end.
BladeMancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-29, 05:15   Link #735
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Spoiler for length:

Favorite Game Series: #0 The legend of heroes (everything but especially ZERO/AO) #1 Zero escape series. #2 Persona series. #3 Pokemon. #4 Bravely Default series. ; #5 Ace Attorney (including the spin-offs); #6 Legend of Zelda. #7 Dragon Quest (including the spin-offs)

Favorite Anime: Castle in the Sky (why is this so underrated ) Gankutsuou; Railgun S; Little Witch Academia (one of the most philosophically interesting/deep shows that I've seen, while also being the single most feel good of feel good shows that I have ever seen; literally the weirdest combination ever); Kill la Kill (because it saved anime )
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-29, 23:33   Link #736
alex_drian

Can anyone explain me the Archetype Power of Aleister? I still not understand it
alex_drian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-30, 00:05   Link #737
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by allfictions View Post
Don't remind me, it hurts

But at least he got shat on on screen, I can't say that much for some characters.

I keep seeing this, and it still doesn't make sense. She was basically mocking Aleister for thinking himself above humanity, but in the end human through and through. How do you get she is not human from that?

Unfortunately, you have to read Jung to understand, and that's not light reading.

I am just as puzzled, but for different reasons than you (5/10? Bruh, seriously?). I can't say this volume is better than NT9 or the WWIII trilogy, so it really seems like an overblown score to me.
I like this more than WWIII and NT 9 precisely because NT 9 was spoiled for me and because this volume had some awesome plot development on many fronts. NT 9 and WWIII had their weaknesses as well. This volume though was very solid. It accomplished its goal perfectly. Is hard to explain. But I do like this volume the most so far, and I'm sure it's because of the Misaka development as well as the other plot factors that all came together pretty damn well. Best overall volume is very different from having the best one or two scenes... my favorite scenes are still obviously from NT 9 and OT 22. AS far as being a strong volume because of its influence on the future plot, this one was very solid.

Edit:

He, he, he, I got the awesome Misaka avatar. YES. I finally stole a good pic lol.

Favorite Game Series: #0 The legend of heroes (everything but especially ZERO/AO) #1 Zero escape series. #2 Persona series. #3 Pokemon. #4 Bravely Default series. ; #5 Ace Attorney (including the spin-offs); #6 Legend of Zelda. #7 Dragon Quest (including the spin-offs)

Favorite Anime: Castle in the Sky (why is this so underrated ) Gankutsuou; Railgun S; Little Witch Academia (one of the most philosophically interesting/deep shows that I've seen, while also being the single most feel good of feel good shows that I have ever seen; literally the weirdest combination ever); Kill la Kill (because it saved anime )

Last edited by dniv; 2016-04-30 at 02:48.
Old 2016-04-30, 09:41   Link #738
UsagiTenpura
Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_drian View Post
Can anyone explain me the Archetype Power of Aleister? I still not understand it
Think of it as the science side equivalent to the phase control that Othinus used in NT9. I'd rather not get in a deeper explanation of it, as I feel it could spark a debate that doesn't have it's place on animesuki's forums.

The interpretation of jungian psychology that is used in toaru probably has differences from the generally accepted interpretation of it anyway, and it's highly probable that the story will end up explaining that interpretation over time.
UsagiTenpura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-30, 10:31   Link #739
LevelSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsagiTenpura View Post
The interpretation of jungian psychology that is used in toaru probably has differences from the generally accepted interpretation of it anyway, and it's highly probable that the story will end up explaining that interpretation over time.
lets hope the explanation wont be some vague so-so thing that was used for majin powers or like the "explanation" for ollerus's powers (which is one of the most undetailed explanations i have ever head, which on the other hands make it somehow cool )
LevelSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-30, 12:59   Link #740
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LevelSeven View Post
lets hope the explanation wont be some vague so-so thing that was used for majin powers or like the "explanation" for ollerus's powers (which is one of the most undetailed explanations i have ever head, which on the other hands make it somehow cool )
Lol I similarly expect it to be explained well over time. And a science side analogy for phases is a pretty good description. I'll add that archetypes have to do with general aspects of personality and our mindset, but it's a bit vague depending on the interpretation. All you need to keep in mind is that Aleister is good at manipulating people, and this is why. He can manipulate your motivations and personality.