AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

View Poll Results: Lucky Star - Episode 21 Rating
Perfect 10 88 62.41%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 37 26.24%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 9 6.38%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 2.84%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 1.42%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.71%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-08-28, 16:12   Link #81
HashiriyaR32
GT-R Fanatic

"Were we supposed to laugh?"

HAHA!

And there's no better reference to "Wawawawa wasuremono" than Shiraishi being left behind and forced to chase the bus on foot!!
Old 2007-08-28, 16:23   Link #82
Purple Kitsune

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaziek View Post
talk about jumping in at the deep end Going from pokemon / digimon straight to LS is quite a jump
Haha! Well i was about 7/8 when i watched them.
Old 2007-08-28, 17:03   Link #83
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Kagami's romantic Kyoto tour.... ya know, I almost cried for her when the climax of her mystery meeting finished. bleh.... they pulled off some wonderful animation with Kagami in that sequence.

Otherwise, it was an AzuDa-happy sort of Kyoto trip with lots of funny bits. As far as I can tell, they never actually *said* the name of the studio Konata wanted to visit - I kind of liked that.

Lots of good Kuroi-sensei moments but when she sat down to play the MMO and threw her hair back, that was about 20 points of Kuroi fanservice right there.

Poor Minami is almost neurotic the way they're portraying her obsession with her figure (bouncing idiotic Yui notwithstanding).

I actually liked both the animated L*C and the live-action bit of goofy stupidity. Actually, I liked Akira-sama VA's underlying muttering during his antics.

That student next to Kuroi looked familiar, will browse the manga.... and like my Location says, "On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto..."
Old 2007-08-28, 18:19   Link #84
rainnydaiis
Let it Rain

Send a message via MSN to rainnydaiis
I gave it a 10 because of my non stop laughing. My gf woke up saying whats wrong. But I found this episode to be hilarious, especially the lucky channel and the ED song.
Old 2007-08-28, 19:03   Link #85
suguru
京都 ikitai~

The deer attacking Tsukasa in Nara was hilarious--my wife and I had the same experience when we were there on vacation, they really do get pretty aggressive going after cookies (you can buy a pack of deer cookies for 100 yen from stalls all over the place in Nara.) First there's just one, and then the rest start swarming like bees...they cut the antlers off almost all of them so they won't hurt the tourists, but you do see a few that haven't been caught yet like the one that took Tsukasa down.

The only exception is if you go on a day it's really crowded, then the deer get to eat so much they'll get picky--they just sniff the cookies and turn their heads away like they're too good for them...
Old 2007-08-28, 20:02   Link #86
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

Wow, that was a very enjoyable episode, one of the best for sure in my eyes.

Lots of fun moments, from Tsukasa getting mauled by deer to Konata's beloved DS to Kuroi-sensei being pwned by server maintenance (I know how that feels, lol). Kagami was absolutely ADORABLE in her scenes in the second half. And Shiraishi snapping at last after 21 episodes of abuse was just priceless. Top it off with Potato and Sora doing the next episode preview, and you've got one excellent episode.
Old 2007-08-28, 20:44   Link #87
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

It occured to me that this is the second time that they have animated Kagami in extended "high-quality" detail, the first being the Hiiragi "sisters drama" snippet. Makes me wonder if they will ever animate a spin-off OVA for Kagami in full-blown quality, like a certain submarine Captain.

3D-rendered bugs and cicadas? Gross overkill. Kagami done in KyoAni's highest level of animation? Bring it on.

Cheers.
Old 2007-08-28, 21:20   Link #88
thelok

Spoiler for Another reference...:
Old 2007-08-28, 21:59   Link #89
HashiriyaR32
GT-R Fanatic

I don't think I caught that.
Old 2007-08-28, 22:12   Link #90
Shana

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelok View Post
Spoiler for Another reference...:
Yeah, why does the Japaneses put "Nobil" "Yotota" and "Rindows" ><? I think is becouse of copyright but I'm not sure.
Old 2007-08-28, 22:25   Link #91
Calawain
Gaijin

The last thing you'd want to do is give Microsoft a reason to sue you, their legal budget is many many times greater than the gross income of KyoAni ;x
Old 2007-08-28, 22:33   Link #92
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo_N View Post
Great episode.

Is the photo covering the "half" kanji of the "half fortune" phrase?
Yes. It's 半 in 半吉。

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
Some of the references in Lucky Star always fly past me but this episode had very much of those! Was made up for by an equal lot of awseomeness, though.
The amount of references here are unbelievable... I almost fainted while watching it.

Quote:
1) When the girls failed to lift the relic, did Konata say "I guess the dragon slayer (sword) weighs about this much" or "So this is as far as our dragon-slaying goes." Both are probably referencing the net RPG she plays.
"Dragon Kuroshi" is a famous sword in BERSERK. Trust me, the thing they're trying to lift is way more interesting.

Quote:
2) When Konata was looking at Shiraishi chasing the bus, who did she reference / turn into? O.o
Kona turned into Maetel of Galaxy Express 999. That's one of her famous pose, looking out of the train window.

Code:
3) What was Konata trying to make Kagami buy?
It's a Kinki Area only Mucha-flavored Giant Pocky. You can buy regular Giant Pocky in your neighborhood Japanese supermarket.
Old 2007-08-29, 01:14   Link #93
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

EP 20: References #1

Part I of EP21 ref list. How many in total? I have no idea. Ikuzo!

Spoiler for Long Post - Unhide to Reado:

===
Please feel free to comment, discuss, or correct any of the item here!

Last edited by AVPlaya; 2007-08-29 at 02:35.
Old 2007-08-29, 01:39   Link #94
Alesiopdv
True Believer of Haruhi

Jajaja

Konata is my wife.

Thats totally smashing the fourth wall.
Old 2007-08-29, 01:59   Link #95
Panzer Bandit
Serfectly Pober

Subtle AIR reference here, I believe:

Someone with Photoshop skills humor me and do a hair color swap on Kuroi-sensei and the student next to her. I think you'll see what I mean.
Old 2007-08-29, 03:11   Link #96
kevin13
Disabled By Request

Wow!

Awesome episode, one of the best all season I think.
Old 2007-08-29, 03:31   Link #97
darksider

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVPlaya View Post

Tsukasa the Reference Queen
If you haven't noticed, KyoAni has decided to have Tsukasa to do some very non sequitur references and puns.
From what I heard of it, Tsukasa's utter random words are not usually by KyoAni staffs, but more likely her (Fukuhara's , I mean) own ad-libs.
Old 2007-08-29, 07:17   Link #98
Ratix

Send a message via AIM to Ratix Send a message via MSN to Ratix
Oooo reference to the shrine by Konata...

"Konata is my wife" XD!!!

And Konata can't sleep without turning on her DS once a day. XD!!! SAME AS ME.

XD at the Death Note reference...
Old 2007-08-29, 07:22   Link #99
Calawain
Gaijin

Quote:
Kanji Lession - Little River Wood
When Konata was talking about how the Izumi Loli family cool down in their air-conditioned faimly room, she mentioned that the there of them looked like the kanji "小" (Shou, small). Kagamin then counted, shouldn't it be the kanji "川" (Kawa, river)? As you can see from the kanji itself, Kawa looked like three vertical strokes, which could be seen as three people lying down side by side. Kona said it's more of a Shou, meaning that while the middle stroke (jiji) is veritcal, the other, much shorter strokes are diagnal toward the middle, which is similar to two small, lilo-like HS girls sleeping on on the arm of a blue-haired middle age lolicon. Actually, Kona-chan, it's more like a "木" (Ki, tree) with his arm sticking out like that, but we all know how you really don't like kanji in general, so it's okay.

The kanji Shou, Kawa, and Ki
This one made a small amount of sense while watching the show too because Guerrand made a quick explanation as subbers notes. Pretty clever joke on the writer's part imo.

Quote:
Quick Reference - the D: Drive in a Windows computer is usually the CD/DVD drive. Since they're not pasokon-otas, it's unlikely they have more than one HD or knows how to re-partition their C:. That means Konata is counting on the fact that her jiji would be too embarassed to check out what's in Kona's D DRIVE.... ho ho ho... But I'm probably sure that her dad DOES indeed check her pasokon and is most likely crying with joy at the amount of eroge Kona plays.
Eh, I'm not sure, if they share all of the games they have seeing as how Kona-chan's dad handles all the storage of said games, I would think it's probably a second HD where they store any uh "special" downloads or other such files. I could be wrong however, and when I was a teenager trying to hide things on my computer from my folks I would do something a lot less obvious then dedicating an entire drive too it hah.

Quote:
YassaiMossai - When she woke from her nodding, she mentioned the name of a famous Dance (やっさいもっさい踊り, YassaiMossai Odori) performed every year during the Fireworks festival for the City of Kisarazu (木更津市)in Chiba.
Looks kinda like the macarena from that particular photo.....I hope it's nothing like it.

Quote:
Classroom Notes
Unlike the West, the difference between each grade in a school is significant. The first years respect and obey all upper classmen, while the second year just started to lord over the first year. The 3rd year act like kings and queens and constantly pull rank on the their kouhais. As you might notice, your average Japanese student has problem getting to know a person from another class in their own grade, so it's almost impossible to know a student from another grade outside of a club setting (but even in a club, senority rankings exist).

Most Japanese schools also split the home rooms for each grade on different floors - That's why most Japanese schools has 3 or 4 floors. What this means that unless you have a good reason, you'll almost never get to visit the floor of another grade; thus Yutaka has to ask around to find 3-Nen-B-Gumi. If an lower class visit an upper class floor, he or she will be intimidated because every one of them can order the kouhai around, while the reverse is true. Konata however never got that senpai smugness in a lower-class floor because, well, eh, she looked like a 6th grader.
That sounds pretty harsh, that's one nice thing about American schools at least. I took a lot of upper level courses early so I mixed in with mostly older students in many of my classes. Although I went to a default public school, I guess if you have to take an entrance exam to a high school that the school would have a student body with more similar abilities and less of a need to put people in higher or lower levels within each grade level.
Old 2007-08-29, 08:24   Link #100
Zerokule

Wink

I usually get the anime and culture references right from the start, but this ep had me lost on a few. Can anyone explain these situations to me please?

1. "but narimiya-kun was a little different" What was that about? And Kagami said that is was direct?
2. "so iris entered this place?" When they went in the station Konata said this
3. "the tiny ones aound it are the options" Konata said this about a Budda statue
4. "reccomended pocky, green tea, collon" why was Konata so adament about Kagami getting the pocky or green tea or collon?

Thanks. Overall I loved the episode. The tour guide jokes were funny and Tsukasa is just too cute in this ep.
Closed Thread