AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier - Episode 12 Rating
Perfect 10 78 50.00%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 36 23.08%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 21 13.46%
7 out of 10 : Good 11 7.05%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 1.28%
4 out of 10 : Poor 4 2.56%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.64%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 1.92%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-06-26, 20:47   Link #81
cheesie
Dame Cheesie
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
I'm sure Sheryl will be back, in the same I was sure Ranka would recover after the fiasco in ep. 11.
You make it sound like she's the unhealthy third wheel.

I am pretty sure the story will now shift to Sheryl's perspective just as it did for the first few with Ranka. Only difference is the love triangle will *really* get moving and it'll be interesting to see if Sheryl will regain the upper hand by the time episode 20+ rolls around, because I admit, had the Alto x Ranka scene happened late in the episode count, then I'll have to be forced to concede that AxR was meant to be. (Don't mind me, I love making predictions on love triangles ever since I called the canon pairing by episode 6 of Canvas 2. )

You know the animation is high quality when they bothered to draw in Sheryl's two glimmering strands of hair.
Old 2008-06-26, 20:56   Link #82
Haesslich
Go to DMC! Go to DMC!

Well, now Ranka gets her Equal Opportunity time with Hime-sama, which includes some flight time... even if they both look like they're high on something chemical in nature at the time. And, on top of that, they're giving Sheryl a new moe-mode: physically ill, struggling Sheryl for those who found her too bossy earlier on. Between that and her concert, one can feel the Minmay vibes already... although personally, I don't like it.

And the preview for next week.. well, it brings back to mind the first meeting Alto had with Ranka. Good times, there - now Sheryl needs a bit of exposure to that side of the Sakuralto-hime too, so she can get her own shots in.
Old 2008-06-26, 21:01   Link #83
cheesie
Dame Cheesie
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
Between that and her concert, one can feel the Minmay vibes already... although personally, I don't like it.
Sheryl? Or Ranka? Even though Ranka and Minmei are their own characters, I couldn't help but draw serious parallels between the two girls though.
Old 2008-06-26, 21:28   Link #84
Mgz
Madlax fanboyz

Send a message via Yahoo to Mgz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrypokstick View Post
lol, the Mongols make good(or bad) marines?

terrible because Mongol is a landlocked country

but for Air Calvary , fearsome .

But the 33rd something corp is terrible shooter tho, nobody gets hit :lol:

When Aato VF when down I were expecting his VF would have wings and fly away like the birdman movie,lol
Old 2008-06-26, 21:30   Link #85
Haesslich
Go to DMC! Go to DMC!

I don't like Minmay vibes, period. There's times when Macross F rides the line between 'homage' and 'direct copy' more finely than I prefer... and any scenes that smack of Minmay usually do it for me (I'm thinking of "Force of Arms" at this stage, given that dress Ranka's wearing, as well as one other shot in the episode.

Plus, we all know where Minmay went once she became a real diva... which bodes not well for either Ranka or Sheryl, should any one of them go that route.
Old 2008-06-26, 21:30   Link #86
Eurys
Crush me. ~Ringo

And here I was wondering how Ranka would come back in time for her concert if she went to Gallia...

Wow, it pains me to see Sheryl so vulnerable and helpless , but it was necessary, for the sake of her own development and, well, it gives a better chance to AltoxSheryl
How ironic that Sheryl was accused of "stealing" Alto from Ranka for his birthday, and now, it's Ranka who "stole" him
Sad Sheryl sure is pretty though.

Grace really doesn't seem to care for Sheryl if she manipulated her that way, although I still wonder what's the bigger plan (and I hope they'll start explaining what's going on and what's at stake soon).
Old 2008-06-26, 21:31   Link #87
Crimson_Hero

This is my first time watching a Macross series, so the whole singing pop star stopping a heated battle with her songs is just blowing my mind right now.
When I saw it, and I had no idea how to react -
Should I have rolled my eyes at the absurdity of the situation?
Or groove with the song like the Zentradi?
I'm still not sure how I feel about it.

One thing I am sure of, however: this episode looked absolutely gorgeous.
Old 2008-06-26, 21:34   Link #88
cheesie
Dame Cheesie
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
Plus, we all know where Minmay went once she became a real diva... which bodes not well for either Ranka or Sheryl, should any one of them go that route.
I know Minmei was absolutely ghastly in the TV series during her idol stage, but I found Minmei in DYRL to be breathtaking. I was glad Hikaru ended up with Misa in the TV series, but I couldn't be that resolute when it came to DYRL!Minmei, because Kawamori really did mold her into this lovely thing who got the short end of the stick.

Quote:
Well, what I assumed will happen a long time ago seems to be unfolding here, in that Ranka will be the one to reach the top, while Sheryl will come down. Either way, all this will depend on Sheryl's character development from this point on, because it'll decide once and for all if Macross Frontier's love triangle will nod its head at the original's or not.
Old 2008-06-26, 21:36   Link #89
Angrypokstick
So....its you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgz View Post
terrible because Mongol is a landlocked country

but for Air Calvary , fearsome .

But the 33rd something corp is terrible shooter tho, nobody gets hit :lol:

When Aato VF when down I were expecting his VF would have wings and fly away like the birdman movie,lol
not necessarily. i was refering to the marine corp in that one. The majority US marines spend a good deal of their service time with their feet planted firmly on solid ground and preferably some wheres in the in the thick of it , just where those crazy SOBs like it.
In that the ancient mongols probably do good as a marine but their knack for battle lust and tendencies to start wars and bloodbath probably won't do(or will it?).

and upon watching this episode. man all i gotta say (even though i m a Sheryl fan) if "damn Sheryl , you got owned." funny how ironic it was. Life sure works in mysterious ways.

And OMG its a full blown SDF Macross!!!

Last edited by Angrypokstick; 2008-06-26 at 22:12.
Old 2008-06-26, 21:39   Link #90
Haesslich
Go to DMC! Go to DMC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisis View Post
I know Minmei was absolutely ghastly in the TV series during her idol stage, but I found Minmei in DYRL to be breathtaking. I was glad Hikaru ended up with Misa in the TV series, but I couldn't be that resolute when it came to DYRL!Minmei, because Kawamori really did mold her into this lovely thing who got the short end of the stick.
Given that DYRL was basically in-universe propaganda, I tend to stick with the original TV series as the 'canon' version of how things went (especially once you got Macronizing Max Jenius in the movie).... and as a result, I find the whole 'Minmay turning into a real incestuous bitch' thing rather... well, I suppose it was realistic and inevitable, given her emotional immaturity at the start of the series and how she suddenly rocketed to fame without any grounding influences, but still unpleasant to watch the naive but selfish girl turn into the jaded, selfish diva towards the end.

DYRL Minmay's more like Sheryl - an estabished star when we see her meet the pilot, who's outwardly confident but at the same time possesses some vulnerabilities which she tends to hide. Again, like Sheryl. Ranka's more like the TV version of Minmay, but with better friends and an 'elder brother' to keep her level, on top of Alto who provides both a grounding rod as well as someone who both will listen to her and encourage her without sucking up. And he doesn't hesitate to treat either of the women like they were nothing.

Okay, maybe that's not such a good thing...
Old 2008-06-26, 22:21   Link #91
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Well just from personal viewing experience think the recent developments will push towards more of a SherylxAlto finish. Has nothing to do with previous Macross series, but just a gut feeling. Just think the Universe isn't kind enough to let Ranka go up to stardom and get the guy she likes on top of it all. If career wise things don't move well for Sheryl would likely still have Alto and is enrolled in that pilot course .

All about predicting the reversal of fortune. Depends on who Alto is closer to as the series moves in to the finish. Feel that things will flip close to the end. So Sheryl could develop well and be really close to Alto near the end and things could move to Ranka. Makes it all the more interesting when the series roots are taken into consideration. Will they pull a surprise in the end? Long as all the characters are pretty happy I'll be alright with it. One girl obviously won't end up with Alto, but doesn't mean the series can't end well for them.

Really was something to just see the situation handled via singing. Though its been a really important element especially with the Vajra attacks. But still another thing to just see how Ranka's singing affected things. Regardless of all the projections you can make for the series, this was a good episode.
Old 2008-06-26, 22:33   Link #92
FLCL
I've been Kawarolled

Send a message via AIM to FLCL
2 words

SOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUND ATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTACK

jk

ranka it was nice knowing you, have fun on the minmay route

that still is the best moment in macross

the basaraxfleet of strongest women

i mean cmon, guitar hero+macross=epic win
Old 2008-06-26, 22:37   Link #93
ani_d

Fun fun episode. I hope with this, people will finally give Ranka the credit she deserves when it comes to her worthiness of Alto. Her VF suit is really cute too.

Spoiler for best scene:

I like Sheryl's calm look in the end. It seems to me that the one-time tinge of insecurity shown in this episode was because of the fact that Ranka did her job. For someone with lots of pride, that's a big blow to her ego.

I never really expected Sheryl to get surpassed by Ranka through normal means. That's why I have to give kudos to the writer for thinking of a believable scenario to make this happen. Making Sheryl sick is a good plot twist, in more ways than one.

Btw, anyone noticed that the preview for the next episode is different from the expected title? I think next episode is related to the main plot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ickem
I'm thinking of the mess the Romance thread will be once ani_d and the other Ranka fans get their hands on this episode.
You guys! I'm not about to dance around Sheryl fans just because this one episode is on Ranka's side. But well, maybe just to westlo....
Old 2008-06-26, 22:40   Link #94
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson_Hero View Post
This is my first time watching a Macross series, so the whole singing pop star stopping a heated battle with her songs is just blowing my mind right now.
Both? Welcome to Macross. Please enjoy your stay.
Old 2008-06-26, 22:50   Link #95
ickem
シェリルの為に!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_d View Post
I like Sheryl's calm look in the end. It seems to me that the one-time tinge of insecurity shown in this episode was because of the fact that Ranka did her job. For someone with lots of pride, that's a big blow to her ego.

I never really expected Sheryl to get surpassed by Ranka through normal means. That's why I have to give kudos to the writer for thinking of a believable scenario to make this happen. Making Sheryl sick is a good plot twist, in more ways than one.
Actually, I see the scene of Sheryl staring at the sunset as one of her examining her own feelings. She has taken Alto for granted up until this point so the double blows of not being able to perform and having Alto go off into the sky without her must be a shock. She's likely wondering why Alto's going off with Ranka is affecting her so much. She's very much alone up there and she does seem to get strength from places that are close to the sky. I feel that she is very much like Alto in that respect. While she does not seem to have the great desire to always fly, she does enjoy being in such a place.

P.S. Besides, she's just waiting for her own Super Move meter to charge up.
Old 2008-06-26, 22:53   Link #96
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson_Hero View Post
I guess one thing with Macross is that it requires you to have at least some knowledge of the previous series. Yes, it is ok to watch it without prior knowledge, but usually it helps to have some prior knowledge.

The Zentradis used to be the enemies of humanity, and had no culture beyond written text and a military society. Music was introduced to them during Space War I, and many of them became infatuated with human society. After Space War I, the two 'races' were integrated. But, given their memories of Space War I and idol singers, the latter is infamous for being the Zentran 'weak-spot'

- Tak
Old 2008-06-26, 22:57   Link #97
Swampstorm
Lovestruck Fool
*Fansubber

Quote:
I would count Alto with them, but he's not a loli.

Quote:
It seems to me that the one-time tinge of insecurity shown in this episode was because of the fact that Ranka did her job. For someone with lots of pride, that's a big blow to her ego.
Aww. Don't kick a sick girl when she's down. For someone who's used to being able to stay strong through her willpower alone, being absolutely helpless is the most horrible feeling that she can possibly go through.
Old 2008-06-26, 23:07   Link #98
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampstorm View Post
Aww. Don't kick a sick girl when she's down. For someone who's used to being able to stay strong through their willpower alone, being absolutely helpless is the most horrible feeling that you can possibly go through.
I feel so guilty watching this episode. On one hand, Ranka's debut took everyone by surprise, and she was gorgeously CUTE! *wipe away nosebleed*

Then camera zooms on a calm but obviously worried Sheryl, and suddenly my heart sank...

- Tak (DEUTSCHLAND VOR!)
Old 2008-06-26, 23:25   Link #99
Kinku
Hate a Hater.Love a Lover

Send a message via MSN to Kinku
what i would like to see ranka and sherly bump to each other again... cause ranka by now realize sherly has the hots for alto and vice versa. Ep 11 sherly encourge ranka to give him a present than back stab her by inviting alto to fly with her... and we all know what happen in ep 12 with ranka and alto =p
Old 2008-06-26, 23:30   Link #100
Swampstorm
Lovestruck Fool
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinku View Post
what i would like to see ranka and sherly bump to each other again... cause ranka by now realize sherly has the hots for alto and vice versa. Ep 11 sherly encourge ranka to give him a present than back stab her by inviting alto to fly with her... and we all know what happen in ep 12 with ranka and alto =p
Er... no backstabbing took place. How could Sheryl time her plans to coincide with Ranka's when they hadn't even been made at the time? Unless you're also suggesting that both girls backstabbed Ranzou, of course.
Closed Thread