Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Old 2014-07-28, 12:02   Link #1621
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craxuan View Post
It's not cheating. Blake used her Semblance on Pyrrha twice before she got taken down Semblance-less. I find it completely fair that Pyrrha would return the favor with her own brand of Semblance. Just because your favorite character got pummeled doesn't mean you can start accusing people of cheating.

Ren is not a good melee fighter. He has been shown to avoid melee combat at all cost against the King Tajitsu until he was forcefully pinned on the ground. That he broke the Grimm's fangs because of it was a stroke of luck that gave him confidence, and the Qi Strike is not usable on human beings unless he wants to kill them.

Yang is the worst matchup he could've fought out of all 4 members of Team RWBY, especially since he had decided to go close range - he doesn't seem to have experience fighting against someone who uses bare fists, and would've fared far better in case of weapon combat against either Blake, Weiss and even Ruby.
Wow really? I don't have a favorite character, first point.

Secondly, it's a food fight. Emphasis on food. Anyone using limbs or soda cans is cheating in my opinion. It goes for Yang, it goes for Nora and Pyrrha.

However it is monty's work and I guess he knows what's best for the show, I was just speaking from my subjective point of view that if I went ahead and played a food fight with the rest of my school while we're eating lunch, they guy throwing something outside of food (like a can or an empty plate) would have gotten called out for cheating.

My fanfiction works include:

Tari Tari: Past and Present, As the Gentle Breeze Blows
Little Busters: Bird's Song
Sword Art Online: Vanquishing of the Laughing Coffin

My own works include: Social Fact
Arturia Polaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-31, 21:55   Link #1622
Top Sergeant

Ep. 2 has some pretty good plot set ups!

And Rwby and Yang are GAMERS! Yes!!
Top Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-31, 22:20   Link #1623
Raviel

I like how they tell us a little bit more about Remnant during this episode through RWBY's game of RISK.

We have the following kingdoms/places known to us to far:

Vale- Mostly temperate climate with forests and rocky highlands. I would argue that Vale doesn't have a standing defense force and instead relies on Beacon for hunters and huntresses to protect it.

Vacuo- Based on the cards in Weiss' hand Vacuo seems like a pretty harsh place to live in what with it being mostly desert and full of other environmental hazards. That said, the aforementioned characteristics of Vacuo make it a great place to disappear to, which is probably why Tukson wanted to go there.

Atlas- This is mostly wild speculation from me but I think Atlas is the most industrialized and/or militarized kingdom in Remnant. I'm basing this on Ironwood's fleet and RWBY's mention of fast repair times for her troops during their game of RISK.

Haven- The place Neptune is from.

Menagerie- The Faunus' kingdom.

Phew, okay now that that's been said, dat world building.

I also really like season 2 Weiss, there's just something incredibly refreshing about seeing her actively join in the shenanigans of her team and look out for the other members.

P.S. Ozpin still best headmaster, that man REALLY cares about his students.

P.P.S. Inb4 the "Cinder is too old to pass for a student" jokes
Raviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-31, 22:44   Link #1624
Somnus
Eh?

This season has gone 2 for 2 in the writing department. Great laughs and development all around.

Favourite quotes:

Weiss: "Who told you that? Your mother?"
Jaune: "Yeah, and Pyrrha!"
Pyrrha: "Hello again!"

Neptune: "Uh, aren't libraries for reading?"
*Ren raises hands*
Ren: "THANK YOU!"

Other cool stuff:

- Ozpin = Best Headmaster
- Ruby and Yang are gamer girls. Which makes them 10x more awesome.
- Ruby and Weiss bonding while losing.
- Pyrrha stealing Jaune's comic book and reading it.
- Nora being Nora.
- Weiss being way more fun this season.
Old 2014-07-31, 23:27   Link #1625
Wandering Soul

That episode had a good balance of humor and development. There were just too many funny moments. I especially like how Weiss went from not understanding the game one second to acting like an evil dictator the next. I also like Pyrrha taking Jaune's comic just to read it herself and Ren's reply when Neptune points out libraries are for reading. Can't forget how Weiss just seemed to pick a chair out of nowhere when talking to Blake.

Ozpin continues to show why he is a good headmaster. It was interesting to see how Blake's arrival to Beacon and and how Ozpin is trying to look out for her.

I see a scenario where Ruby becomes friends with Emerald and the others only to feel betrayed when she finds out who they really are.
Old 2014-08-01, 00:52   Link #1626
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

That scene where Ruby was smiling diabolically... LOL.

That was a pretty great episode with some nice plot threads being set up.

My favorite part was probably... Ruby saying no one said I and Yang saying "I love it when you're feisty."

Oh yeah and Weiss. Weiss is much better this season. The chair scene and "we're doomed" LOL.

I'm really enjoying season 2. The animation is still a bit awkward at times, but still looks very nice even when it's like that (with the coffee mug and the drinking and the taking)... but still I do really like season 2. It's actually very different... I'm enjoying it.
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-01, 08:57   Link #1627
Soverence

This episode was really entertaining, as pretty much has been saying I am liking Weiss's character a lot more this season so far, she is still that hard ass but is much more friendly and nice to everyone overall.

The series this season so far just seems to be overall between quality in terms of writing and animation, probably because they got more funding I am guessing which is really nice. The story seems to be setting up for something really big at this point, although I do find it a little hard to believe that the enemy leader who Ozpin is aware about would be able to slip in as a student so easily but w/e lets role with it .
Soverence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-01, 09:54   Link #1628
Funkatron
Highly irregular

They mentioned blowing up night clubs, so maybe the Yellow trailer happened in between seasons?
Funkatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-01, 11:55   Link #1629
Craxuan
Crax
*Author

It is confirmed in recorded interviews that all the trailers happened before RWBY Volume 1. Red Trailer will not meet plot expectations despite being canon (it's better to understand literally as, Ruby visits her mother's graves and fights Beowolves) because it doesn't reflect Ruby's true personality or even fighting preference. It was more of a resume for Crescent Rose than anything.
Old 2014-08-01, 13:15   Link #1630
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

So the principal of Atlas Academy arrives at Beacon with his students and army with fears of a war coming.
Blake fears something bad is about to happen with the White Fang so the rest of RWBY decides to help her.
And Cider and her minions are now at Beacon disguised as exchange students.
Old 2014-08-01, 15:34   Link #1631
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

We need a rating for the episodes. Mine is 9/10 for this one. Fun, development, A LOT OF DEVELOPMENT, more development, fun, board games and LENGTH.

Yeah RWBY season 2 is going to blow it out of the park.

As for the blowing up night clubs, I'm guessing that the trailers were some kind of entrance exam for them? Knowing Ozpin he'd give each one of them tasks that show their true selves. For example, they could send Yang to find out who someone is and send her with a hint about her target being known at a nightclub.

Yang of course goes in guns blazing.

This IS the best academy in the "world" so it makes sense to give them tough entrance exams. And of course you can also run a study on how each one behaves through the way they faced their exams. Ozpin knows he's raising the equivalent of spec ops. They need to be strong, smart and they have to think outside the box most of the time.

Damn it Ruby, you fought that sexy walker girl, get a hint.

Old 2014-08-01, 15:37   Link #1632
XFire
150% done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturia Polaris View Post
We need a rating for the episodes. Mine is 9/10 for this one. Fun, development, A LOT OF DEVELOPMENT, more development, fun, board games and LENGTH.

Yeah RWBY season 2 is going to blow it out of the park.

As for the blowing up night clubs, I'm guessing that the trailers were some kind of entrance exam for them? Knowing Ozpin he'd give each one of them tasks that show their true selves. For example, they could send Yang to find out who someone is and send her with a hint about her target being known at a nightclub.

Yang of course goes in guns blazing.

This IS the best academy in the "world" so it makes sense to give them tough entrance exams. And of course you can also run a study on how each one behaves through the way they faced their exams. Ozpin knows he's raising the equivalent of spec ops. They need to be strong, smart and they have to think outside the box most of the time.

Damn it Ruby, you fought that sexy walker girl, get a hint.
Glenda fought her, in a battle with countless explosions and lights, from a roof against an opponent in a helicopter that was flying back and forth. At night.

She's lucky if she realized it was a woman.
Old 2014-08-01, 15:45   Link #1633
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFire View Post
Glenda fought her, in a battle with countless explosions and lights, from a roof against an opponent in a helicopter that was flying back and forth. At night.

She's lucky if she realized it was a woman.
Touche, good point.

In any case, glenda might see her and know stuff will happen.

EDIT: I got big FFVIII vibes off this in the first season. Now it's gone off the charts. All I'm waiting for now is for beacon to start flying.

Old 2014-08-01, 16:22   Link #1634
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
Your theory sounds great, but it completely fails to explain how Jaune got into the academy. If he was given such an entrance exam, he would undoubtedly fail. Which reminds me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soverence View Post
...although I do find it a little hard to believe that the enemy leader who Ozpin is aware about would be able to slip in as a student so easily but w/e lets role with it .
He let Jaune in, so he's obviously not the smartest cookie in the cookie jar. This is just another one of those unbelievable situations (really, it is just unbelievable) used as a very, very lame plot device.

Frankly, I am not feeling the same enthusiasm for this show as I did with the first season (even though I am a sponsor, I forgot all about watching the episode last night, something I never did during season 1). I enjoyed the food fight in episode 1, and the board game in this episode, but everything else is leaving me feeling blah. Cinder (not Cider) is definitely not as entertaining a villain as Torchwick, yet he's been demoted to a minor, castrated character role.

The whole over-arching plot of "us against them" has just not yet inspired my interest past the yawning stage. Indeed, the scene in this episode with Blake decrying the evils of the White Fang seemed forced and fake. There just didn't seem to be enough development of the issue.

And folks, please get it right: it's Glynda not Glenda.
FredFriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-01, 16:34   Link #1635
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

I remember trying to explain jaune's situation and I have come up with a couple of arguments that could be used to explain that.

A) His parents are very influential and beacon's funding depended on him entering.

B) Jaune did show some degree of skill in his exam. Remember we know nothing of his entrance exam, we know he bluffed in his papers and he was a fiasco for 90% of the trip into the forest, however he did in the end come through. Ozpin saw him making the decisions against the scorpion thingy, you don't get through life being a weakling without something putting you through. Brains maybe?

C) Branching from B, he may have gotten gradually better and is being given a chance through sheer effort and willpower.

D) He's simply cannon fodder. Beacon's lines have to be filled in the end if there's not enough material.

Old 2014-08-01, 17:21   Link #1636
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
B) Jaune did show some degree of skill in his exam. Remember we know nothing of his entrance exam, we know he bluffed in his papers and he was a fiasco for 90% of the trip into the forest, however he did in the end come through. Ozpin saw him making the decisions against the scorpion thingy, you don't get through life being a weakling without something putting you through. Brains maybe?
I can't help but laugh. We know nothing about any of the entrance exams, or even if there were any. Speculation like this is futile.

Jaune did not come through in the end on his own. In the end, he, himself, had to be saved because he was not up to the task. If it wasn't for Pyrrha, he might easily have become dead meat, along with Cardin. I don't deny that he has courage and puts up as good a fight as he can, but let's not give him credit where it is not due. Had he taken any of your imaginary entrance exams, not only would he have failed, he would also most likely be dead. Not sure if Beacon or Ozpin has a policy of admitting corpses, but it's possible I suppose.

You left one out:

E: Beacon's admission policy is flawed, allowing liars and criminals to enroll without properly verifying the documentation they provide.
FredFriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-01, 17:27   Link #1637
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

Speculating that Beacon's admission policy is flawed is also futile, we know glynda caught wind of jaune's true abilities way before the forest thingy and told Ozpin, who simply stared on.

He knows he's letting in dead meat, the same way he goes out of his way to get wonderkids (if that's a word) like Ruby. However I'd like to believe he does have a reason for it and it's not a flawed system, after all beacon got prestige from somewhere.

Old 2014-08-01, 19:42   Link #1638
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
Speculating that Beacon's admission policy is flawed is also futile, we know glynda caught wind of jaune's true abilities way before the forest thingy and told Ozpin, who simply stared on.

He knows he's letting in dead meat, the same way he goes out of his way to get wonderkids (if that's a word) like Ruby. However I'd like to believe he does have a reason for it and it's not a flawed system, after all beacon got prestige from somewhere.
So I was a bit curious... do we know if they're actually students or if they just stole student uniforms and snuck in discretely with all of the military air-ships?

Wouldn't that make MUCH more sense, than them actually all rather conveniently be accepted as students.

It seemed to me like after they talked to Ruby they certainly had no intention of going in the direction she told them to go in or to even act as if they were trying very hard to listen to her.

I feel like they're just doing some sort of behind-the-lines infiltration mission.

All we know is that this has to do with stage 2, and that is probably sabotaging the peace festival to start wars once again or whatever "evil" motives they probably have in mind.

I do admit that the scene discussing the White Fang was a bit forced from episode 2, but I see this as the first anime-style show produced in America with its own unique animation style, and other myriad elements that are supposed to craft an original style. (Teen titans, Danny Phantom, and last airbender really don't count IMO.)

We already saw that scene in the trailer so we probably had higher expectations going into it, so it probably stood out more than it would have otherwise. I personally find the show improving by leaps and bounds with every few subsequent episodes, so I have high expectations certainly going into season 2.

Also, it makes sense that the plot would take time to build given that most anime shows and non-young-kids-shows are at least 22 minutes per episode, and they still take a few episodes per each new arc to get the action rolling (generally). So I'm fine with this, and I'd rather see new ventures succeed than just assumed that they're going to fail.

I definitely have to say that I find it very enjoyable watching an animated style show that has a lot of American-style animation cliches and topics (I'm American and I'm thinking of Totally spies and other similar shows when I'm saying this) in comparison to other things out there. And Beacon kind of feels like an Americanized Hogwarts (sort-of) or at least like ZNT's setting.

In short, while things could be much better, it's an excellent start. I have been pleasantly surprised by the first two episodes of season 2, and I am excited for more.
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-01, 20:14   Link #1639
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

Oh you mean Cinder and the other 2 kids? They are supposedly transfer students, notice the white armband, my guess is that Beacon right now is like Hogwarts during the Tri-Wizard tournament, hosting members of other schools.

I was talking about Jaune, those of other schools I have no idea.

Old 2014-08-01, 22:14   Link #1640
Tormenk

*facepalms*

The entrance exams were the initiation task where they had to form pairs and retrieve the chest pieces in the forest. And Cinder's trio sneaking under the guise of exchange students were to fool unsuspecting students like Ruby. I doubt Ozpin is such a dimwit to willingly allow a dangerous person on campus grounds without rhyme or reason.

"Are you afraid of change? Or are you afraid to change?"

"Wheel turns, river flows and life goes on."

"Best way to kill a man, is to leave him alone."

"Until you come, until we close our eyes."

Tormenk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, cgi, fairy tale, fantasy, rooster teeth, rwby