AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2014-07-03, 09:11   Link #1601
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

The USSF is finally (no doubt due to Jurgen's insistence) starting to transition to a more European-style pyramid system rather than their old residency academy lottery ticket. You need to cast a wider net, for certain - but young players needs different (and better) coaching across the board. Instruction for very young players is centered rigidly around systems and discourages individuality - boys aren't encouraged or even allowed to think for themselves on the pitch or display creativity. That's a big reason why the USA can't develop #10s or true finishers, but can manage some decent keepers and central defenders.

None of these changes will likely benefit Klinsmann as a coach, but he's thinking long-term and I applaud him for it. FIFA is considering giving the US the 2026 World Cup, and if they're interested in seeing soccer truly explode in America (I think that's an open question) that would dovetail very well with the timeframe in which we might become seriously competitive to win it. In the meantime Jurgen is forced to continue to poach good but not irreplaceable talent from Europe, mostly Germany - guys like Green and Diskerud, and of course the big prize he's currently busting his ass to steal from the Germans is Gedion Zelalem. He has the raw talent to be the first fantasista we've had since Claudio Reyna, and to be an even better player.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-03, 12:26   Link #1602
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Referees for Quarter Finals:

France-Germany : Pitana (Argentina)
Brazil-Colombia : Velasco Carballo (Spain)

Argentina-Belgium: Rizzoli (Italy)
Holland-Costarica: Irmatov (Uzbekistan)

Velasco Carballo is ref who tends to help the home side, as seen many times in European Competitions.

At this point I'm expecting Webb to ref a semifinal (not the final because he already did in 2010), while the dutch referee Kuijpers, a candidate for final, will be cancelled from the list if Holland gets through this round (just like any other ref from one of the nations qualifying for semis since those are the rules). The other one for the semis could be the serbian Mazic, who seems to be pretty liked by Fifa/Uefa. Don't know who could get the final, though I'd give the third/fourth place match to the Australian ref Williams.
Old 2014-07-03, 17:07   Link #1603
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
These are going to be intense quarter finals. There's no game where I would say I had a good guess as to who's going to win, unlike in the most recent round of 16. The least close match-up is probably Holland vs Costa Rica, but even then, I wouldn't put it past the Costa Ricans to defeat the Netherlands, which I had thought to be the strongest team prior to the match against Mexico. Now, I'm not so sure anymore. The other three games though ... they are really tough to call. Well, here's my guess for this round:

France 2 - 1 Germany
Brazil 2 - 1 Colombia
Argentina 3 - 5 Belgium (after penalties)
Holland 2 - 0 Costa Rica

Here we go. Now I'm free to be ridiculed later. Oh boy.
Old 2014-07-03, 17:25   Link #1604
SuitUp
¡Gracias Totales!

Costa Rica has an advantage that no one else has on this quarter-finals... They got nothing to lose, they know that no one expected them to come this far, to play this well, and nobody expects them to win, they go in just to play well and try their best, and that will work our in their favor.
Also, I expect both Argentina and Brazil to be thrown out, and most likely Germany to go through.
SuitUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-03, 18:11   Link #1605
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I think to a certain extent the "nothing to lose" tag applies to Belgium, too, because there's such a huge gap between their historical success and their current talent level. And unlike CR, they have enough talent to go all the way.
Old 2014-07-03, 18:36   Link #1606
ChampDream
Alive

You could said the "nothing to lose" tag applies to Costa Rica, Belgium and Colombia, especially Costa Rica and Colombia because they already did something important by being in their first time in the quarterfinals, now of course they could want more, but in case they lose they are already heroes in their countries.
Old 2014-07-03, 19:04   Link #1607
cleo

Belgium vs America: what a nerve-wrecking match. Belgium had the upper hand for a long time, but chokes when it comes to finishing. Tim Howard was Ace, but setting a record of 16 shots in a WC match says a lot about America's defense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I think to a certain extent the "nothing to lose" tag applies to Belgium, too, because there's such a huge gap between their historical success and their current talent level. And unlike CR, they have enough talent to go all the way.
Exactly. They've got a a lot of young talent in the team, inexperienced to play at this level, so no-one in Belgium expected them to make it out of the group. They're already winners, anything more will be bonus.
Same goes for Holland. We've done very bad the last WC's, so coming this far exceeds all our expectations.

I'm quite nervous about Holland - CR, because I've seen Holland choke so many times. Robben might make the difference though. He's very much the the driving force of the team, and not just on the field. I've never seen him so...relaxed and confident as he is now, and it has an influence on the entire team.iting match, both
It should be an exciting match, both teams willing to play offensive.

Last edited by cleo; 2014-07-03 at 19:17.
cleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-03, 19:10   Link #1608
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

In that group, Belgium was actually a strong favorite. And I think they were widely expected to beat the USA. But now is when the expectations issue becomes an advantage for them IMO.
Old 2014-07-03, 19:35   Link #1609
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

Shinndou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-04, 00:10   Link #1610
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

I bet that if Howard shaved, USA would have been trashed 10-0.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-04, 00:20   Link #1611
SuitUp
¡Gracias Totales!

Howard
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Also, If anyone here speaks spanish:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
Howard really was great. I'm enjoying the world cup. This is the first world cup I've ever gotten into.

July 4th is when the next games are played, right? What are the times (Brazil time) for the games on Friday?
Friday, July 4th:
France v. Germany 1pm brazil time, Colombia v. Brazil 5pm brazil time.
Sunday, July 5th:
Argentina v. Belgium, same time as above, Holland v. Costa Rica, same time as above.

Last edited by SuitUp; 2014-07-04 at 01:42. Reason: Adding a song.
SuitUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-04, 00:34   Link #1612
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Howard really was great. I'm enjoying the world cup. This is the first world cup I've ever gotten into.

July 4th is when the next games are played, right? What are the times (Brazil time) for the games on Friday?
Old 2014-07-04, 02:35   Link #1613
kirikirito334

Howard was superb, yes. It's a pity that they've lost. With such amazing performance from a player, you would've expected they'd win...
kirikirito334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-04, 05:06   Link #1614
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirikirito334 View Post
Howard was superb, yes. It's a pity that they've lost. With such amazing performance from a player, you would've expected they'd win...
If having a good goalkeeper would be enough to secure a win both us and Germany would be World Cup finalists every single time

That's not enough, but it certainly does not hurt to have one, because they usually tend to be charismatic figures who play a huge role in making the whole defense feel and act with more confidence. A good goalkeeper has a great deal of influence on his team mates.
Shinndou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-04, 11:07   Link #1615
Mentar
Banned

Heh. I unterstand that 9am isn't Las Vegas prime time, but not having the big screen on AT ALL, essentially forcing customers to watch the game on small bar TVs is a bit disappointing

Back to my room, watching from there...
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-04, 11:15   Link #1616
Kakurin
大佐

Hummels again!
Old 2014-07-04, 11:17   Link #1617
Mentar
Banned

Good start

Are we the only two watching this?
Old 2014-07-04, 11:19   Link #1618
Kakurin
大佐

Perhaps the others are all watching outside.
Old 2014-07-04, 11:24   Link #1619
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

I'm watching it at home. It's the first time France plays versus a big team, and it's the first time France goes down in the result. So far no reaction but the german defense looks as vulnerable as always.
Old 2014-07-04, 11:29   Link #1620
Mentar
Banned

Our defense ALWAYS is vulnerable. We need to rely on our offensive power to do more...