Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-10-12, 22:01   Link #1541
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
Code Geass. Ok, I didn't hate it, but this show is pretty much the poster child of popcorn entertainment (hey, I can enjoy popcorn entertainment!) that somehow gets fandom to think it's deep and sophisticated.
Took the words out of my mouth, though unlike creb in the end I found myself hating it due to fandom thinking its deep and sophisticated. Heck, I hate it enough to make a Code Geass entry on the Hollywood Tactics page at TvTropes (oh sure, other animes are also guilty of this, but at least they don't pretend that the commanders are OMGSUPERTACTICALGENIUSTOOAWESOMETOMATCH. Bleh)

And of course, there's the mainstream shonen animanga like Naruto and Bleach which dragged on so long I eventually just stop caring. There's also just about every anime with Kugimiya tsundere (I swear I never hated the tsundere archetype until my first encounter with Zero no Tsukaima). Also, just about every harem anime from the last five years with wimpy male protagonist - I can endure them being clueless, but wimpy? Zero respect.
Old 2011-10-12, 22:55   Link #1542
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
While not evey harem hero is a wimp, the other extreme is just as jarring. Touma is so one dimensional and self righteous that he annoys me to end and I just want him to die. Touma is just too badass for my tastes.
Old 2011-10-13, 01:45   Link #1543
sleepy504boi

i used to like these but because the series seem to be going on forever, i began to hate them. Naruto, Bleach, and One Piece
Old 2011-10-13, 10:01   Link #1544
Rethice
Kingslayer

Send a message via AIM to Rethice Send a message via MSN to Rethice
Evangelion is a given. It might have been because I was already a few years into my anime fandom and also fairly "old" before I finally checked it out, but I just didn't get what the big deal was. The depth was nothing original, and the character designs were bad. That's all there is to it.

The one that really pisses me off though is Angel Beats. I'm a big Key fan, and Jun Maeda's name on this title as the writer got me quite excited. The production values were amazing, but that's about where it ended. The worst pacing I've seen in years (and the only thing that's beaten it up until now is Persona 4 pilot episode).

It erks me that Angel Beats has become so popular by this trendy new scene of kids who wouldn't be able to appreciate a good mellow-drama if it slapped them in the face, but instead are left giggling at slapstick comedy executed so poorly, with ZERO character development, depth or any lasting charm.

Fortunately my hatred for Angel Beats has fizzled a little bit over the past few seasons so that's about as far as my rant is going to go for now. My rant against the Persona 4 pilot has already been posted in the relevant forum, so no point repeating myself.

Some other anime I've hated but seem to be oddly popular;

Ghost in the Shell - Wait, what's happening? Oh, watch it again for it to make sense? No.. I'd rather not.

Zero no Tsukaima - Great premise, awesome first few episodes. Then, suddenly, tit jokes. Everywhere.

Monster - Yeah, deep - so deep it put me into the deepest sleep I've ever had.

FLCL - Oh yeah, you're SO CRAZY RANDOM LOL... Pathetic humour only a particularly immature pre-pubescant kid should enjoy.

Soul Eater - Great first 4-6 episodes, introducing the characters. Way downhill from there, constantly, to the point where I'm pretty sure it was 10 miles underground by the end. Fist of courage. Yeah.

That's about it for me!
Old 2011-10-13, 11:02   Link #1545
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rethice View Post
Evangelion is a given. It might have been because I was already a few years into my anime fandom and also fairly "old" before I finally checked it out, but I just didn't get what the big deal was. The depth was nothing original, and the character designs were bad. That's all there is to it.
Ironically, my impression is that the more experienced one is with anime, the more accessible and entertaining Evangelion is, given how it is a deconstruction of the super robot genre. But those aren't my words, so I can't be sure.

Quote:
The one that really pisses me off though is Angel Beats. I'm a big Key fan, and Jun Maeda's name on this title as the writer got me quite excited. The production values were amazing, but that's about where it ended. The worst pacing I've seen in years (and the only thing that's beaten it up until now is Persona 4 pilot episode).

It erks me that Angel Beats has become so popular by this trendy new scene of kids who wouldn't be able to appreciate a good mellow-drama if it slapped them in the face, but instead are left giggling at slapstick comedy executed so poorly, with ZERO character development, depth or any lasting charm.

Fortunately my hatred for Angel Beats has fizzled a little bit over the past few seasons so that's about as far as my rant is going to go for now. My rant against the Persona 4 pilot has already been posted in the relevant forum, so no point repeating myself.
While it may not be the funniest anime ever, the episode with the rocket chair had me laughing so hard that I choked on my food. Each to their own though. I'll admit that even though I enjoyed watching it, Angel Beats was a complete pacing disaster. What may be an interesting fact for you is that Angel Beats and the P4 anime share the same director.
Old 2011-10-13, 11:41   Link #1546
Echoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
Ironically, my impression is that the more experienced one is with anime, the more accessible and entertaining Evangelion is, given how it is a deconstruction of the super robot genre. But those aren't my words, so I can't be sure.
I can only speak for myself, but the way Evangelion affected me had nothing to do with giant robots, and though it wasn't what got me interested in anime as a medium, it was one of the first series I sat down and watched knowing it was anime. I think the series is very approachable for any audience who's willing to give it a chance. But I'm not a big mecha-guy. There might be a whole other element of enjoyment in seeing the genre deconstructed that I'm unaware of. That's one of the wonderful things I find about the series, it can be enjoyed on many different levels.

On to Angel Beats. In my opinion, humor is not the series' problem at all. If anything, that's the thing it really nailed. The show is consistently funny, for better or worse. I find that this sometimes clashes with the dramatic nature of the series, and as you have both attested to, the pacing could have been better. Still a solid show in my opinion, but I feel like there was some potential lost there. It could have been one of the greats.

Quote:
Zero no Tsukaima - Great premise, awesome first few episodes. Then, suddenly, tit jokes. Everywhere.
Exchange first few episodes with "first season" and you've pretty much got my opinion. What on earth happened in the third season? I've got a soft-spot for the series because I really enjoyed the first season, and it seems like they knew they could get away with putting almost no effort whatsoever into the next two. I hope the fourth one will be a return to form. /naive fool

As for FLCL having "pathetic humor." Well, I'll just have to disagree profusely. It's hilarious, and the animation compliments the comedic style so well. Strangely enough, everyone I know who likes the series is about my age, no pre-pubescent children in sight!
Old 2011-10-13, 16:21   Link #1547
kitten320

I tried to watch Gintama but didn't get further than 7 episodes... might try again but I don't find ridiculouse humours with no sence funny, example:
"I hate my commander so I will try to kill him every time I get a chance" hahaha, very funny =/

And character designs are horrible, there are only few who look good. And considering that each single one is an idiot does not help.
Old 2011-10-13, 17:25   Link #1548
Echoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
"I hate my commander so I will try to kill him every time I get a chance" hahaha, very funny =/
I crack up just hearing you say that. And I haven't even seen that many episodes of Gintama. But to each their own, of course.
Old 2011-10-13, 18:57   Link #1549
Rethice
Kingslayer

Sorry I may have worded my thoughts on Angel Beat's humour a bit badly. The humour was the best part of Angel Beats, I agree. My frustration stems from the fact that that's all it executed well, and only in the first half of the series. Even so, I still found the identical humour style in Clannad S1 better. That's understandable for an anime that is supposed to be comedy focused. (We all know Excel Saga certainly didn't have anything but comedy going for it, but I was fine with that), but Angel Beats had Jun Maeda behind it all, how could it fail so hard in the drama section?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
Exchange first few episodes with "first season" and you've pretty much got my opinion. What on earth happened in the third season? I've got a soft-spot for the series because I really enjoyed the first season, and it seems like they knew they could get away with putting almost no effort whatsoever into the next two. I hope the fourth one will be a return to form. /naive fool
Agreed, I did mostly enjoy the first season as a whole, despite Louise and Saito's frustratingly "resetting" relationship, it wasn't until s2 the tit-jokes came in full force.

As for FLCL, well, that really does just come down to personal opinion unfortunately

EDIT- Out of curiousity, how many others have gotten hit with the negative rep bomb for expressing their rage on a thread designed for rage?

Last edited by Rethice; 2011-10-13 at 19:12. Reason: Closing note
Old 2011-10-13, 19:41   Link #1550
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
I did for Nanoha, Death Note and Code Geass I believe.
Old 2011-10-13, 19:51   Link #1551
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
EDIT- Out of curiousity, how many others have gotten hit with the negative rep bomb for expressing their rage on a thread designed for rage?

That's hilarious. I wish reputation was public in some way. I think it'd really cut down on a lot of the incredibly superfluous reasons people give rep.
Also, cake.
Old 2011-10-14, 10:11   Link #1552
Haladflire65
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
I tried to watch Gintama but didn't get further than 7 episodes... might try again but I don't find ridiculouse humours with no sence funny, example:

And character designs are horrible, there are only few who look good. And considering that each single one is an idiot does not help.
Actually Okita's hatred towards Hijikata is no joke... as you'll probably see if you ever continue the show and make it to episode 85. Gintama's just a very oddball show and if it's not your thing, it's just not going to be your thing. I have to say though, its serious arcs are unparalleled in their epicness, expertly mixing humour, drama, emotion and action - maybe you can go try one of those and see what you think. (recommended: Benizakura, Yoshiwara Burning, Mitsuba, Shinsengumi Rebellion arcs) I think the humour's really clever most of the time. The writers have ridiculous creativity when it comes to jokes and parodies...

I like the character designs! I think they look fine, sometimes better than fine They sure do work wonderfully in the show's context.

I personally never laugh as hard as I do when watching Gintama... I dunno, I guess it just syncs with me
Old 2011-10-14, 10:45   Link #1553
Zeroryoko1974

Send a message via AIM to Zeroryoko1974 Send a message via Yahoo to Zeroryoko1974
I didn't like Lucky Star or Yuri Yuru, but a lot of people seem to like them
Old 2011-10-14, 13:22   Link #1554
Ichuki
┌(^o^)┘モリ!┌(^o^)┘モリ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroryoko1974 View Post
I didn't like Lucky Star or Yuri Yuru, but a lot of people seem to like them
I didn't like YuruYuri neither
Old 2011-10-15, 02:39   Link #1555
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

Quote:

Yeah, I don't get why Angel Beats took off in popularity. I like it and the raw material was awesome, but the problems are so obvious that anyone who hasn't watched anime could see what was wrong about it.

To me personally, aside from the humor, I did like some of the drama because it didn't involve too much crying=drama like the other KEY works did. Plus, I really loved the fact that the main characters were in reality, just a bunch of bullies ganging up on a girl for misunderstood reasons, and I liked how they had to struggle to accept her after all that's happened between them. I think they did a good job with that. I really want to see another story like that some time.

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck
Old 2011-10-15, 20:14   Link #1556
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:

I have to strongly disagree on Angel Beats having "zero character development or depth".
Because it did. With pretty much every main character.
And I thought the drama was very very well done. Particularly with episode 09 which brought me to tears.
Old 2011-10-16, 01:04   Link #1557
Rethice
Kingslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
I have to strongly disagree on Angel Beats having "zero character development or depth".
Because it did. With pretty much every main character.
And I thought the drama was very very well done. Particularly with episode 09 which brought me to tears.
I was moved by Yui's episode - very powerful, so I almost forgave it, but unfortunately the episodes that followed that just tore it back down again, especially the last episode.

As for character development. Yeah, they did well with Otanashi, Yui and Yurippe (Hardly, but sort of), but what about the dozens of other main characters they threw in there and gave no explanation on?

Spoiler for 5th Dan,
Spoiler:

I've heard some background on a few of them, like Hinata, and that they are explained more thoroughly in the form of audio discs - but that has nothing to do with the anime.

This is all personal opinion though, I know I am the minority in disliking Angel Beats, hence why it's appropriate in this thread.
Old 2011-10-16, 03:36   Link #1558
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The thread's purpose IS to give people a place to vent about anime series they don't like for whatever reason. As long as they can explain their dislike, full thrusters ahead.
Old 2011-10-17, 18:20   Link #1559
Fuyuno
Banned

I'm not surprised to find out lots of people loved Durarara. I personally don't hate it but just not my cup of coffee.
Old 2011-10-18, 18:33   Link #1560
kitten320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haladflire65 View Post
Actually Okita's hatred towards Hijikata is no joke... as you'll probably see if you ever continue the show and make it to episode 85. Gintama's just a very oddball show and if it's not your thing, it's just not going to be your thing. I have to say though, its serious arcs are unparalleled in their epicness, expertly mixing humour, drama, emotion and action - maybe you can go try one of those and see what you think. (recommended: Benizakura, Yoshiwara Burning, Mitsuba, Shinsengumi Rebellion arcs) I think the humour's really clever most of the time. The writers have ridiculous creativity when it comes to jokes and parodies...

I like the character designs! I think they look fine, sometimes better than fine They sure do work wonderfully in the show's context.

I personally never laugh as hard as I do when watching Gintama... I dunno, I guess it just syncs with me
Would help if you could actually specify the episodes.

I liked second half of Durarara but over all I also have no idea why it is so high. I guess because it is different from stereotypes.