AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-01-02, 15:17   Link #1
LKK

Hozuki no Reitetsu

Sentai has licensed Hozuki no Reitetsu for digital outlets (Crunchyroll) and home release. [Source]

From Sentai's Facebook announcement:
Spoiler for plot overview:

Director: Hiro Kaburaki
Character Design: Hirotaka Kato
Series Composition: Midori Goto
Animation Production: WIT Studio

13 episodes are planned according to Sentai's PR.

Crunchyroll will begin streaming Thursday starting on January 9 at 11:00 am Pacific Time for its premium members. Free users will be able to view this series one (1) week after initial broadcast. Hozuki no Reitetsu will be available to users in the following territories: U.S.A, Canada, Mexico, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, Netherlands, Denmark, Finland, Norway, Sweden, Iceland, Turkey, Belize, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Panama, Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Guyana, Paraguay, Peru, Suriname, Uruguay, Venezuela, Europe, Middle East, and Arab League.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous

Last edited by LKK; 2014-01-02 at 15:25. Reason: added more info
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-02, 15:28   Link #2
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Geh! You beat me to it! I was just looking around to see if there was a thread on this one!
Old 2014-01-02, 15:47   Link #3
LKK

I was surprised that there wasn't a thread. The comments in the New Announcement thread were positive, so I was sure there had to be a thread somewhere. But there twern't.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-02, 18:06   Link #4
Libros
I never hid my hurts.

Sounds fantastic and the synopsis is hilarious. Will watch.
Old 2014-01-03, 19:23   Link #5
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
That is like one of the best synopsis I've ever read. I'm looking forward to this.
Cloudedmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-09, 18:24   Link #6
leokiko

I'm torn between whether I keep watching this or not. On one hand, it was an enjoyable episode, well animated and written, but much of the jokes went over my head.

Oh, the opening was pretty awesome as well, caught me by surprise.
leokiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-09, 19:38   Link #7
Cloudedmind

The only joke I didn't quite get was the one about the persimmon monkey. I had to look that one up. Apparently it's a Japanese folktale. The Crab and the Monkey

I have to say I rather liked it. It's a bit more low key then I thought it might be considering it's a show about hell, but still entertaining.
Old 2014-01-09, 20:22   Link #8
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Okay, that was a bizarre episode I just watched - and to be honest it is kinda hard to wrap my mind around what they are trying to do here. Ultra subdued, dry humor filled to the gills with cultural references? Or something like that?

Hrm. I am curious now to know a little more about the series.... Will be giving the next few eps a try to try and get some better idea.

Edit: on a re-watch i found it more interesting and felt a little more of the humor connected. Gonna follow this one probably, but not commiting just yet. ^^

Last edited by Flower; 2014-01-10 at 04:03. Reason: forgot to add info here....
Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-09, 21:12   Link #9
Cloudedmind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
Okay, that was a bizarre episode I just watched - and to be honest it is kinda hard to wrap my mind around what they are trying to do here. Ultra subdued, dry humor filled to the gills with cultural references? Or something like that?

Hrm. I am curious now to know a little more about the series.... Will be giving the next few eps a try to try and get some better idea.

Yeah, that sounds about right as far as many of the jokes go.
Old 2014-01-09, 22:58   Link #10
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Tone-wise it reminded me a bit of Shirokuma Cafe, believe it or not.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-10, 01:30   Link #11
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Reminded me a bit of a deadpan afterlife Joshiraku in a tiny way....

Definitely a series... Imo it makes Nobunaga the Fool fel like reams of logical mathmatical formulas -_-
Old 2014-01-10, 01:53   Link #12
SuitUp
¡Gracias Totales!

That has to be the most interesting synopsis of a comedy this season, for those who already watched ep1, any warnings about it's humor? too cultural? too dry? too satirical? because it sure sounds like it.
SuitUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-10, 02:50   Link #13
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

How much is "too"? It is cultural, it is deadpan, it is satirical - but if you like that, I think it's a winner. But I'd sure never suggest it's going to find a wide audience.
Old 2014-01-10, 02:54   Link #14
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

WTF?

Guess you need to be REAL familiar with Japanese culture and mythology to get this one. A passing knowledge isn't nearly enough to get the humour they were trying to convey.

Well either that, or you need like tons of headers/footnotes explaining everything that's going on. XD

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-10, 03:06   Link #15
SuitUp
¡Gracias Totales!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
How much is "too"? It is cultural, it is deadpan, it is satirical - but if you like that, I think it's a winner. But I'd sure never suggest it's going to find a wide audience.
Well, a passing knowledge of japanese culture'll be enough for jokes do not fly over my head?
Too satirical it's when it stops being a satire, when it jumps the shark on the subject it's satirizing

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
WTF?
Guess you need to be REAL familiar with Japanese culture and mythology to get this one. A passing knowledge isn't nearly enough to get the humour they were trying to convey.
Well either that, or you need like tons of headers/footnotes explaining everything that's going on. XD
Thank you for the answer.
Old 2014-01-10, 03:12   Link #16
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Quote:
Hafta agree with enzo here. It is... definitely its own beast.

For me it is a sleeper hit. ^^
Old 2014-01-10, 03:30   Link #17
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuitUp View Post
Well, a passing knowledge of japanese culture'll be enough for jokes do not fly over my head?
Too satirical it's when it stops being a satire, when it jumps the shark on the subject it's satirizing

Well, here's the thing - I don't know if there's a set definition for "passing knowledge". As an example, most of the gags in the first half are based on Momotarou, the "Peach Boy" fairy tale. It's eponymous in Japan, right up there with Kaguyahime and Orihime - but I don't know how many non-Japanese know about it. That's probably a good acid test - if you know Momotarou, I think you'll get a good chunk of the references overall.
Old 2014-01-10, 03:33   Link #18
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Even not knowing the momotarou tale and not getting a lot of the first half should not interfere with the second half, tho. I found myself puzzled and chuckling when i first watched it, but the second watch was alot funnier for me....
Old 2014-01-10, 03:53   Link #19
SuitUp
¡Gracias Totales!

Quote:
Well, here's the thing - I don't know if there's a set definition for "passing knowledge". As an example, most of the gags in the first half are based on Momotarou, the "Peach Boy" fairy tale. It's eponymous in Japan, right up there with Kaguyahime and Orihime - but I don't know how many non-Japanese know about it. That's probably a good acid test - if you know Momotarou, I think you'll get a good chunk of the references overall.
Huh, so i did know the momotarou fable, guess i'll watch it after all, thanks for the answers.
Old 2014-01-10, 04:04   Link #20
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
Even not knowing the momotarou tale and not getting a lot of the first half should not interfere with the second half, tho. I found myself puzzled and chuckling when i first watched it, but the second watch was alot funnier for me....
I agree (though the Softbank joke was ROFL), but because Momotarou is a pretty well-known fable, it seems like a good level-setter to see if someone would be in on where many of the series' jokes might be headed.