AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-01-10, 09:08   Link #21
ookamigirl

Weird.
Traditional + youkai + afterlife + weird = this anime
The animation is certainly unique, especially the setting.
Plot isn't very defined yet.
Seems like they are just going with the flow..
The only thing I liked was Hozuki's seiyuu's voice.
This level of weirdness is off the charts.
Can't make any sense of this anime whatsoever.
Skipping it.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-10, 09:56   Link #22
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuitUp View Post
Huh, so i did know the momotarou fable, guess i'll watch it after all, thanks for the answers.
To give you an idea of the sort of series this is, I was skimming a few chapters ahead and found one where Nerubi and Karauri (the two boy oni who assist the title character) are shown as Chip 'n Dale, then on the next page as cherubs from Mozart's "The Magic Flute", and two pages later there's a version of "Funiculi, Funicula" with lyrics about tiger-skin panties. I think that's going to be pretty typical - the references are going to come from all over the map (and the calendar). I love that kind of randomness - I think Shirokuma Cafe had a bit of it - but it's not going to suit everyone.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-10, 10:32   Link #23
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

That's the thing though... how can I not know about momotarou after watching anime for so long? But all I know is that Momotaro befriended those 3 animals and defeated a bunch of ogres together, and I still didn't get how the whole interaction fit together. Who the heck is Soft Bank and how is related to the dog? Then what the heck does the dog adopting Aya Ueto, a singer, have to do with anything? I don't think it was mentioned in the fable that the monkey killed the crab family (maybe another folktale?), and how pheasant was defeated is certainly beyond me.

I know I'm definitely missing SOMETHING here. I have some knowledge to what stories they are talking about, but then they reference a bunch of stuff that anime usually doesn't touch upon and I'm totally lost how all the pieces fall into place.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-10, 11:19   Link #24
Kakkou
Tch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Who the heck is Soft Bank and how is related to the dog? Then what the heck does the dog adopting Aya Ueto, a singer, have to do with anything?
SoftBank is a Japanese telecom company and their mascot is a dog called "Otou-san" (Father). CR got the "SoftBank is your father" line wrong when it should be "You're SoftBank's Otou-san!". Aya Ueto starred in several SoftBank commercials where the dog is you guessed it, her father, hence why Shiro said he wanted her as a daughter. CR could've phrased the line better than to say adopt.
Kakkou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-10, 11:20   Link #25
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
That's the thing though... how can I not know about momotarou after watching anime for so long? But all I know is that Momotaro befriended those 3 animals and defeated a bunch of ogres together, and I still didn't get how the whole interaction fit together. Who the heck is Soft Bank and how is related to the dog? Then what the heck does the dog adopting Aya Ueto, a singer, have to do with anything? I don't think it was mentioned in the fable that the monkey killed the crab family (maybe another folktale?), and how pheasant was defeated is certainly beyond me.

I know I'm definitely missing SOMETHING here. I have some knowledge to what stories they are talking about, but then they reference a bunch of stuff that anime usually doesn't touch upon and I'm totally lost how all the pieces fall into place.
I laughed way to hard at that Softbank joke.

In Japan Softbank is a fairly big electronics/technology company. Their mascot is a white dog very much like the one in this show that wears a red scarf around it's neck, kind of like how the dog in this show has a red and white rope(or something) around it's neck. Aya Ueto has been in some Softbank commercials (she may actually be their spokesperson?), and got married back in 2012.

As I mentioned a page back the persimmon monkey thing is another Japanese folktale called The crab and the monkey.

Most of these things are fairly easy to find out about online.

I have to say Hozuki's meta reason for taking a live woman to a cemetery on a date had me laughing out loud.

Haha, Kakkou beat me to it.
Cloudedmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-10, 15:16   Link #26
Dop
Mmmm....

I quite liked that. Yes, it's Very Japanese, and i may need to come here after watching it to see if anyone explains the references I didn't get, but it was fun.
I think this is my last best hope for something enjoyably mad this season.

As an aside, I had friends round for one of my regular anime nights. As two of them have BEEN to 'Remarkable Rocks' I decided to show this episode.
They loved it, and never expected to see that in an anime!

Last edited by Dop; 2014-01-10 at 19:38.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-10, 15:20   Link #27
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

The references completely flew over my head but even the second half never really made me lol so I don't really know. I certainly want to like this show since it has a very unique charm and a funny premise but the comedy just doesn't really work for me. I'll give it a few more episodes.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-10, 16:02   Link #28
Dawnstorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
Reminded me a bit of a deadpan afterlife Joshiraku in a tiny way....
Yeah, the humour definitely reminded me a bit of Joshiraku. But the mood is certainly different. I'll love it.

(I'm not fit to be a goldfishflower juror... I don't know how to judge its scream.)
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-10, 16:10   Link #29
LKK

I quite enjoyed the first episode. I wasn't expecting 2 short stories though. I wonder if that's going to be the pattern for the series. (Just musing! Not looking for an answer.) The art work really caught my attention with its modern rendering of traditional Japanese paintings.

Oh. And Hozuki's seiyuu caught my attention too.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-10, 16:46   Link #30
Cloudedmind

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
I quite enjoyed the first episode. I wasn't expecting 2 short stories though. I wonder if that's going to be the pattern for the series. (Just musing! Not looking for an answer.) The art work really caught my attention with its modern rendering of traditional Japanese paintings.

Oh. And Hozuki's seiyuu caught my attention too.
Hozuki's seiyuu is also doing the voice of Kinjo from Yowamushi Pedal. I'm not sure if you're watching that or not.
Old 2014-01-10, 17:33   Link #31
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudedmind View Post
Hozuki's seiyuu is also doing the voice of Kinjo from Yowamushi Pedal. I'm not sure if you're watching that or not.
Kinjo, he's the team captain, right? Hozuki's voice was very familiar. I knew he had to be voicing I was currently watching.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-10, 19:01   Link #32
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I had high hopes for this, but it didn't do much for me. I didn't crack a smile. It all seemed like rote humour well animated.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-10, 19:44   Link #33
Cloudedmind

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
Kinjo, he's the team captain, right? Hozuki's voice was very familiar. I knew he had to be voicing I was currently watching.
Yep, that's him.
Old 2014-01-10, 19:50   Link #34
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Yes, the Softbank joke was great - I was on the floor, pretty much. But the problem is that as many have said over the years, jokes don't work when you have to explain them. This show is a reminder, to an extent, that anime isn't made with the audience of people watching fansubs and subbed streams in mind.

Sentai has licensed this, BTW. God knows why - but sincere thanks to them, in any case.
Old 2014-01-10, 21:09   Link #35
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

Very disappoint. Did not amuse me as much as I hoped.

However, I'll watch a few more episodes to see if it gets better. Luckily, I've read some Japanese mythology so I was familar with Momotarou; I can imagine someone going, 'WTF?'

Didn't grab me as much as Kyouosogaiga did early on...but like I said, I'll watch some more.
Old 2014-01-10, 21:25   Link #36
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

There was, however, a good Choju-giga joke in the premiere...
Old 2014-01-10, 21:50   Link #37
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Not to bad the MC seem like he dosent want to be there
Old 2014-01-10, 21:54   Link #38
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

You know...for a demon, Hoozuki actually sounds like an awesome date!

Of course I'm the type who likes exploring cemetaries anyway...
Old 2014-01-10, 22:26   Link #39
Cloudedmind

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDiddy View Post
You know...for a demon, Hoozuki actually sounds like an awesome date!

Of course I'm the type who likes exploring cemetaries anyway...
I thought I was the only crazy person thinking that. My thoughts were I'd totally go on date with you to a cemetery Hozuki.

I started to read ahead. I really hope they animate chapter 2.
Old 2014-01-10, 22:42   Link #40
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I want the tiger-panties song chapter.