AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > Mahouka [LN/M]

Notices

Old 2015-12-16, 11:16   Link #41
bakato

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
To be honest, if we were to switch Tatsuya and Miyuki genders around, giving alternate Miyuki Tatsuya's power-set, backstory, intelligence and personality, and giving alternate Tatsuya's Miyuki's attributes in the same four areas, we would get a very disturbing Sis-con, who idolizes his older Onee-sama. And who happens to be in a position of power over his Onee-sama.

Then again. genderbent Tatsuya probably would end up being written as a relatively plainer looking geeky girl-prodigy-teen genius Kuudere who is a Kuudere because she is lobotomized.

From that perspective, Male!Miyuki would be a Shoujo male protagonist, a Bishounen who can be described as inhumanly and angelically handsome and charming. Who happens to revere his older sister.

The pressure for marriage would be placed on Female!Tatsuya. Male!Miyuki would be very protective of female!Tatsuya against any potential suitors. The same pressure of marriage would not apply as strongly to Male!Miyuki though.

And finally, Male!Miyuki would be the one with the pseudo-harem. Basically, Honoka and Shizuku becomes potential love interest. Mayumi flirts trolls and teases and Male!Miyuki reciprocates in the student council. Minami, initially a living reminder of Sakurai Honami , becomes another member of the harem, Guardian, and almost like an official Mistress of sorts. Ayako is Tsundere for Male!Miyuki, emphasis on the Tsun. Male!Miyuki would come off to many as a charming affable fool, that actually is much sharper than he seems.

Finally, Female!Tatsuya's protectiveness would spawn a fleet of yandere jokes. A Black prince guarded by a Yandere Goddess.
Now I'm beginning to wonder how things would have been if Tatsuya was born a girl.
bakato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-16, 13:12   Link #42
Twi

Here's what I'm thinking, because I might do this as a one-shot on their first day of Magic High School next year.

A True Irregular at Magic High School

The focus primarily remains on the High School discrimination of being a Weed and Bloom, with Tatsuya testing into the Course 2 of his own accord to prove his worth while his sister and her Guardian, Sakurai Minami, attend in Course 1. Navigating the blatant discrimination, he hopes to eventually surpass his sister and prove that the system is not definitive by becoming more involved in the politics of the school. Because of the requirements (see below) Tatsuya will have an easier time relating to his classmates and their struggles, and be able to reciprocate their feelings.

Requirements

1.) The relationship dynamics between Miyuki and Tatsuya are changed from the nature in canon. His sister remains a prodigy and cares about him, and even though he loves her in a familial way, he still can't escape her shadow despite being older.

2.) The insertion of the Artificial Magic Calculation Area doesn't dampen Tatsuya's emotions. That is the result of a different Mental Interference interwoven into it, meaning the use of his higher-tier powers requires that he sacrifices his emotions when the limiter is lifted.

3.) Regrowth and Decomposition are sealed while the limiter is in place, limiting Tatsuya to Flash Cast, Non-Systematic Magic, his intelligence, and his physical refinement. The Limiter itself is two-tiered, meaning only if Miyuki lifts it can he utilize both those expressions of magic. However, should he be critically injured the limiter releases the first-tier and activates the Restoration to himself before resetting it back into place.

4.) Miyuki's Guardian is Sakurai Minami because Tatsuya doesn't fulfill this role anymore and lives with them in their home, also attending as a Course 1 Student.
Old 2016-02-17, 22:30   Link #43
Userunfriendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by kusabireika View Post
I would love to see that cross dress tatsuya -faint-
I am thinking per Ren Ashbell in "Bladedance"...

Am I deranged and evil enough to write it? Yes, most certainly.
Do I have time to write it? Maybe, if I get a block in "By the Short Hairs"
Did this idea make me cackle in glee? YES!

Misaki: Urm...Tatsuyoko-san, may I have this dance?
Tatsuya: Oh, the Crimson Prince himself? My, how strong those shoulders are! And look how well you fill out your uniform!
Isshiki Airi: Look at that sow checking Ichijiro-san's butt! I'll rip her eyes out!

If I get inspired, I'll do it! But don't hold your breath, because this is going to take some serious inspiration for me to pull it off...successfully ( I would define a success as a story that registers 20 on the cringe scale )
Userunfriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-20, 07:20   Link #44
novalysis

I was wondering how different Mahouka would be, if Tatsuya did not posses Regrowth, Decomposition and Elemental Sight all at once, and hence sacrificed all of his Magical Calculation area for those Superpowers. Rather, the Superpowers are distributed among the siblings. Tatsuya keeps Decomposition, but Regrowth goes to Miyuki, As a result, both sibilings can freely use about half of their Magical Calculation Area freely, the other half taken up by their Superpowers.

Essentially, both of them are able to cast magic, at the level Miyuki can in canon, even when Miyuki maintains the seal on Tatsuya. This means that both siblings are almost equally skilled at conventional measures of magic, as canon Miyuki.

Immediately, this alters many of the starting dynamics between the siblings and the Yotsuba. While the real reason for Tatsuya's discrimination and ill-treatment by the Yotsuba branch heads was the fear over his ability to cast Material Burst, it doesn't change the fact that this Tatsuya would also be a skilled conventional magician equal to Miyuki at half power. He might still undergo the Lobotomy, but I am not certain whether he would still be a Guardian. The second issue is whether Miyuki will still undergo Pledge to seal Tatsuya's material burst.

In-fact, the main public justification for not putting Tatsuya as a Yotsuba, that he cannot perform conventional magic, cannot be employed against Tatsuya. It is quite possible he might well be raised as a full Yotsuba, to regard himself as Yotsuba and so on. And if Tatsuya was not made Miyuki's guardian, it is quite possible that he and Miyuki might be raised from very early on, and allowed to regard each other as siblings - this means that Miyuki's bro-con tendencies, may not emerge. And since Tatsuya using regrowth to save Miyuki, is the key basis for Miyuki's reverence for Tatsuya, if Tatsuya has no regrowth, that might well be averted. This means a fundamentally different sibling dynamic, though if Tatsuya is still lobotomized, he cannot reciprocate any romantic overtures. However, if Miyuki has no bro-con tendencies, this changes the romantic game substantially - and put Mayumi as front-runner.

Here's a scary thought : Tatsuya to be lobotomized, and then raised as a full Yotsuba and Miyuki's sibling on account of his conventional magical abilities, and to try to render him more "predictable".

But irregardless, both end up in Course 1, assuming they do go to First High. And it could be even possible that Taurus Silver in this time-line is not two individuals, but actually three individuals - Tatsuya working with Miyuki together, rather than Tatsuya working alone. It could well be possible as siblings, Miyuki learns of Tatsuya's fascination with CADs and magical theory early, and through sibling dynamics, come to work alongside Tatsuya intellectually.

Also, succession might be rather interesting. If Tatsuya was a mage as conventionally competent as canon sealed-Miyuki, would Tatsuya and Miyuki both be candidates? Or perhaps, the Yotsubas exclude Tatsuya from the candidacy, justifying Material Burst and Tatsuya's potential status as a Strategic Mage, for choosing Miyuki over Tatsuya. Tatsuya as a strategic mage and a clan head brings the Yotsubas too far into the limelight, and entangles a potential head with the demands of national security far too tightly for the Yotsuba's comfort. And privately, the fear of Material Burst, and the role Miyuki plays as a failsafe may be other justifications put forth.

Last edited by novalysis; 2016-03-20 at 08:16.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-20, 08:42   Link #45
Medivh

Without tatsuya having both abilities, miyuki might not even be born.

Although in your scenario, Tatsuya would not be feared as much and might have a relatively normal yotsuba childhood. There might have some enmity from relatives but it would not be as extreme as now. Relationship with miyuki would drastically change as he would not be a guardian. They would spend more time together and have a more normal brother-sister relationship. They might still be bro-con, sis-con but miyuki will not be in love with tatsuya. He would not have to undergo AMCA operation as he can cast conventional magic. The excuse that he cannot cast magic cannot be used to justify the operation.

Taurus silver would still be 2 people. Miyuki just does not have any interest in magic engineering. Although some development would be hampered if there is no AMCA. Iirc, his photographic memory is due to the operation.

There is also personality change which comes with not undergoing guardian training. Tatsuya would have been less mature than now, less analytical about situation.

Last edited by Medivh; 2016-03-20 at 09:13.
Medivh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-20, 09:52   Link #46
novalysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medivh View Post
Without tatsuya having both abilities, miyuki might not even be born.

Although in your scenario, Tatsuya would not be feared as much and might have a relatively normal yotsuba childhood. There might have some enmity from relatives but it would not be as extreme as now. Relationship with miyuki would drastically change as he would not be a guardian.
I though that the main reason why the Yotsubas feared Tatsuya, was not Regrowth, but rather, Decomposition, and it's extension, Material Burst? In-fact, the Yotsubas were lukewarm to Regrowth. It was Material Burst that freaked them out.

Secondly, the real reason for ACMA was Material Burst. Not Tatsuya's inability to use any other magic beside Regrowth and Decomposition. This was why I put forth the ACMA as a real possibility, if Tatsuya lacked Regrowth but only held Decomposition.

Now, if Tatsuya only possessed Regrowth, then yes. He would have been raised as a normal Yotsuba, albeit one with an incredible Superpower coupled with potent conventional magical ability. And if it was Miyuki who had decomposition instead...

Also, if Tatsuya was raised as a Yotsuba, I'm not sure whether he'd be less... analytical than say, Fumiya. If anything, he would probably be weighing the political ramifications of his actions independent of his mission, much more deeply than he does in canon, where Yakumo has to stop him from revealing Decomposition to Canopus accidentally in Volume 19.
Old 2016-03-20, 10:52   Link #47
Medivh

I believe that having both abilities resulted in them taking extreme steps to control tatsuya. Both abilities was stated during mitsugi conversation in v16. Having that kind of destructive power with nigh impossibility of death. With only having decomposition, they might be scared of him but it would be lesser. So, he might be able to have a relatively normal childhood, with relatives not wanting to do with him. I agree having regrowth only would have cause not much fear.

AMCA was done under the pretense of giving him the ability to cast magic. If he already can, how did miya tell people she was doing the operation on her son?

He might have gone on less mission than before, being a yotsuba. Less experience might cause him to consider less things.

Last edited by Medivh; 2016-03-20 at 11:10.
Medivh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-21, 03:38   Link #48
Echizen777

Tatsuya's life would have been better if he had been born with only one one them. With ES and an excellent MCA, he would have been able to use more various magics at high power. But right now with his two magics + Flash Cast to give him some variety he has enough to compensate. He would have definitely been chosen as the heir with only one of them.
Echizen777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-21, 09:40   Link #49
novalysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echizen777 View Post
Tatsuya's life would have been better if he had been born with only one one them. With ES and an excellent MCA, he would have been able to use more various magics at high power. But right now with his two magics + Flash Cast to give him some variety he has enough to compensate. He would have definitely been chosen as the heir with only one of them.
Definitely, if Tatsuya only has Regrowth, he would almost certainly have been chosen as heir. If he only has Decomposition on the other hand, I'm not sure whether he'd be made heir. Certainly, assuming we buy that the Yotsubas would fear Tatsuya far less if he only had decomposition, one could imagine Tatsuya gradually allaying those fears, especially when he entered magical research. It still doesn't remove the possibility that Tatsuya would use Material Burst to decimate the planet if he was placed under severe emotional distress, unfortunately. And I do think that Decomposition is the troublesome case here.

A Tatsuya as an and the heir would be something fun to consider. Up to and including who he might marry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medivh View Post
I believe that having both abilities resulted in them taking extreme steps to control tatsuya. Both abilities was stated during mitsugi conversation in v16. Having that kind of destructive power with nigh impossibility of death. With only having decomposition, they might be scared of him but it would be lesser. So, he might be able to have a relatively normal childhood, with relatives not wanting to do with him. I agree having regrowth only would have cause not much fear.

AMCA was done under the pretense of giving him the ability to cast magic. If he already can, how did miya tell people she was doing the operation on her son?

He might have gone on less mission than before, being a yotsuba. Less experience might cause him to consider less things.
While I thought to disagree with you, I do have to acknowledge you do have a point. If Tatsuya is more mortal, then one element of the fear might have been removed. Also, while AMCA was done under the pretense of giving Tatsuya the ability to cast other magics, most of the older Yotsubas should have known or at least inferred the truth - AMCA was done to restrict the risk of emotions triggering Material Burst. And those were probably the ones Miya really had to tell - the rest could be fobbed off, with the same excuse Tatsuya gave Honoka in canon: a serious magical accident. The rationale for AMCA would not have been removed - weakened perhaps, if Tatsuya still had Decomposition and Material Burst.

Ironically, if Material Burst had a less generous mass limitation, or consumed more of Tatsuya's Psions with each use and the Psion cost scaled more sharply with mass, things might have been different. With such limitations, Tatsuya might not have been able to actually destroy the world potentially, even if he could turn cities into one gigantic glassed crater, one at a time with a cooldown of however long it took for him to recover from Psion exhaustion.

A weaker, more limited Material Burst would probably have ironically resulted in the Yotsubas hailing him as the answer to their prayers. A deterrence strong enough to exterminate any enemy comprehensively - but not so strong that the survival of the world was in serious jeopardy by his mere existence. The only thing that might keep him from being heir, was if the Yotsubas believed that a Strategic Mage should not be a clan head if it risk putting the spotlight on the Yotsubas more than they wish.

Do remember - full blooded Yotsubas like Fumiya do extensively go on missions. So I am not so sure about the less experienced part. But I do think he would have been able to devote much more of his youth to magical research, and that might have pushed his skills down to somewhere nearer to Miyuki in terms of combat ability.

I do wonder how Miyuki's life would be like, had she one of Tatsuya's specialties in this scenario too. Assuming of course, that Miyuki was created - which might be still plausible, if only for the Yotsubas to keep their numbers up. Another possible scenario: Miyuki and Tatsuya are born as Fraternal Twins - or even unusual Identical twins of different genders. One bearing Decomposition, the other bearing Regrowth. Life and death.
Old 2016-03-23, 17:08   Link #50
Blakegriffin89

If I remember correctly it was mentioned both in Vol.8 & 16 that the real reason that he was given the AMCA was to limit his emotions, because his magic's, mainly Material Burst, are affected by his emotions. The pretense was like everyone above has mentioned. That it was to give him access to other magic's other than his innate ones, Decomposition & Regrowth. I can't remember if his Elemental Sight is something that uses his MCA or not. Well, anyways Tatsuya was indeed feared and shunned by the majority of his family, because he possessed a highly efficient and over-powered magic like Decomposition, mainly Material Burst. Along with having Regrowth makes him very very hard to kill if he ever lost control or went berserk. But, it was also due to the fact that the family felt regret and guilty for wanting an OP magician to be born to protect the family from the cruel outside world. Also when they learned how powerful Tatsuya was when his MCA was checked right after he was born, everyone except for Maya feared his potential. This was mentioned by both Mitsugu and Maya in Vol.16.

I think that if Tatsuya only had one of his two innate abilities, especially if it's Decomposition, then he would have lived a totally different life. It was also mentioned in Vol.16 by Mitsugu that he was raised as a combat magician pretty much as soon as he could walk, because they wanted him to have total control over his emotions. If he didn't have Decomposition then he would more than likely been raised like the other Yotsuba children. Tatsuya would probably be able to use a more wider variety of magic's similar to Miyuki if he didn't have Regrowth. Miyuki mentioned in the Yokohama arc that the reason that Tatsuya can't freely wield other magic's is due to the fact that he has Regrowth on standby every second of every day, and that it monopolizes his MCA.

In my opinion, I like the way Tatsuya is right now. He is a pretty unique character. He is really OP, but at the same time he has many limitations not just magically, but also socially and with his self-criticisms. Tatsuya rates himself a lot lower than pretty much everyone else in the series, because of the way he was raised and the way most of his family treated him growing up. I think this part of his character makes the story kind of interesting. I could go on and on about the reasons why I like Tatsuya as a character, but I'm going to end it here.
Blakegriffin89 is offline   Reply With Quote