AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kanon

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-04-02, 15:54   Link #201
michelle21

I did'nt think kanon would be so popular in the states.
Old 2008-04-04, 02:23   Link #202
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

????? It isn't like its an alien concept of a story -- its a mystery story with supernatural elements (with threads of romance).

That could describe a third of the prime time series in the US.
Old 2008-04-04, 16:28   Link #203
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

I still tend to think of it as a niche title for the US. It may share themes with primetime series but a good portion of the viewer base for such series wants nothing to do with "cartoons" or "that crazy Japanese stuff". Then there's the "anime fans" who never stray from the realm of Naruto, DBZ, etc., who seem rather likely to label it as "boring" or "a girl's show" without giving it a chance. Kanon is high-profile enough that I am not really surprised it seems to be selling well, but I don't think of it as a title with tons of mainstream appeal.

Edit: Oh, and I still have not gotten my volume 2 or any word of its status despite the site I bought it from showing it as in-stock for at least a week. They're typically very reliable though so I can forgive them this time.
Old 2008-04-04, 17:00   Link #204
Ahasuerus
UNBOUND-ed

I think "the trilogy" of Air, Kanon, and Clannad would make GREAT introductions to anime for "westerners" in touch with their hearts. I turned two females onto Air who totally loved it

Guys here in the U.S may be too hung up on macho mythology to want to see it, but if presented right I think a lot would enjoy any of them if they can get beyond the slower first "getting to know you" several episodes.

I've been trying to expose more blog visitors by occasionally (well, more than occasionally ) writing about favorite series, figures, and so forth, and while none are really commenting (it's not an essentially devoted-to-anime blog), those entries have shown significant activity afterwards. So "westerners" are becoming more exposed to it somehow, and are curious about it, so if there's ANY way to introduce more people to the hobby, these series may just be the "Key"
Old 2008-04-04, 17:34   Link #205
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahasuerus View Post
I think "the trilogy" of Air, Kanon, and Clannad would make GREAT introductions to anime for "westerners" in touch with their hearts. I turned two females onto Air who totally loved it

Guys here in the U.S may be too hung up on macho mythology to want to see it, but if presented right I think a lot would enjoy any of them if they can get beyond the slower first "getting to know you" several episodes.

I've been trying to expose more blog visitors by occasionally (well, more than occasionally ) writing about favorite series, figures, and so forth, and while none are really commenting (it's not an essentially devoted-to-anime blog), those entries have shown significant activity afterwards. So "westerners" are becoming more exposed to it somehow, and are curious about it, so if there's ANY way to introduce more people to the hobby, these series may just be the "Key"
The parts I bolded are essentially why I think these are not mainstream series. Yeah, they would be a great introduction to anime for people who have already shown receptiveness and a great introduction to the genre for many anime fans (they were mine). However I really don't see the "average" guy, who thinks any work without guns, explosions, or scantily-clad women (yeah the series technically have this but then you get the "you're sick, they're just pixels" response) is a "chick flick" and labels any guy who shows emotion as "emo" or "gay", as being willing to watch it or enjoying it if he were somehow forced to. Maybe I am stereotyping due to my dirt-low opinion of humanity in general, but this kind of attitude is the one I see constantly.
Old 2008-04-04, 18:43   Link #206
Ahasuerus
UNBOUND-ed

Quote:
However I really don't see the "average" guy, who thinks any work without guns, explosions, or scantily-clad women (yeah the series technically have this but then you get the "you're sick, they're just pixels" response) is a "chick flick" and labels any guy who shows emotion as "emo" or "gay", as being willing to watch it or enjoying it if he were somehow forced to. Maybe I am stereotyping due to my dirt-low opinion of humanity in general, but this kind of attitude is the one I see constantly.
These people are twits anyway, and should be avoided. Who wants to hang out with stupid people who are little better than contaminants? In any case, I wouldn't try to show them these series. Rather, I'd "test their manhood" (LMAO ) by showing them Elfen Lied

Most likely they wouldn't be receptive to anime anyway; because of their low intelligence/small-mindedness they would simply write it off as "cartoons". I did try EL on a guy like this and he was mostly-blank-faced and I could tell it was beyond him. Poor little thing.

As you can see, my opinion of humanity, or rather society, is pretty low as well. But I'm an optimist, and can only hope that the Caveman is finally dying out due to the evolving mentality/thinking/feeling True Whole Man

Probably the best choices for "converts" would be those who were into comics at one time; a prior appreciation of sequential art may help them to get into it. We'll see after the Batman "anime" starts airing (not sure what to call it yet).

Anime will always need new blood in order to keep growing, and due to the complexities of certain series, and the Key/KyoAni works specifically, could open it up here in N.A.

Just my .02
Old 2008-04-04, 20:16   Link #207
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Quote:
But I'm an optimist, and can only hope that the Caveman is finally dying out due to the evolving mentality/thinking/feeling True Whole Man
Yes, I agree completely except on what I quoted above, unfortunately I see the complete opposite happening and at an alarming rate. However it's best not to go further off-topic so I'll leave it at that. That does bring up another reason why I like Key's series so much though, (I suppose it also applies to most anime in general though) they're great escapes because the characters contrast so sharply with the kind of people I deal with daily.
Old 2008-04-15, 13:05   Link #208
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

There's also the "not grown up" issue with males. One sure sign of immaturity is that deeply insecure "caveman" mentality described above. Many males grow out of it --- some don't. (offtopic)

Back on topic.... I'm starting to get very frustrated with ADV again. Their Kanon titles are all back-ordered at all locations and have been for over a month now. Does this company have any idea how to be professional or do product estimation? Do they have *any* PR skills at all? I've been in the business world far too many years to have much tolerance for this.

In a wonderful version of doublespeak, the ADV website has multiple images of "Kanon: now in stores" on its main and secondary pages... yet a search for any Kanon products in their catalog yields zero results.

Excuse me, but What The Hell?

Edit: (4/16) Perhaps their ears started burning over at ADV? .... weeks after street date, I was notified by DVDpacific that volume 3 is back in stock and shipped today.

Last edited by Vexx; 2008-04-16 at 18:53.
Old 2008-04-17, 21:45   Link #209
Spirit Icana

I really want to see Kanon, but ADV doesn't want me to.

My Best Buy didn't carry volume 1 or anything Kanon that came afterward.

Air and Clannad are pretty good. I watched them after Iriya no Sora, UFO no Natsu blew me away the likes that no fictional story has done since.
Old 2008-04-18, 02:49   Link #210
xris
Just call me Ojisan

I received the shipping confirmation from DVDPacific that my Kanon DVD Vol 3 was shipped yesterday. I suspect this means that shops (as well as on-line stores) will also have them available in the coming days.
Old 2008-04-18, 03:23   Link #211
Ahasuerus
UNBOUND-ed

Meanwhile, I'm still debating on who to choose to get me Kanon 4 in time... I might stick with Amazon since they can most likely withstand any horde of orders that could dry up their supply. Hopefully this was just a huge BUMP in ADV's road and they're now caught up after that series of delays. We'll see...

Quote:
I really want to see Kanon, but ADV doesn't want me to.

My Best Buy didn't carry volume 1 or anything Kanon that came afterward.

Air and Clannad are pretty good. I watched them after Iriya no Sora, UFO no Natsu blew me away the likes that no fictional story has done since.
There are (probably by now) many other sources to get Kanon from aside from ADV. If you liked Air and Clannad I think it's safe to say that you'll enjoy Kanon as well. In the Key/KyoAni trilogy, Kanon is my favorite, and as a story in general is one of my most treasured

Don't watch it out of order, and don't let yourself get spoiled though; it'll impact your viewing experience. Hopefully you'll come across DVD 1 soon
Old 2008-04-18, 16:15   Link #212
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Quote:
Meanwhile, I'm still debating on who to choose to get me Kanon 4 in time... I might stick with Amazon since they can most likely withstand any horde of orders that could dry up their supply. Hopefully this was just a huge BUMP in ADV's road and they're now caught up after that series of delays. We'll see...
If you decide not to use Amazon I highly recommend animecornerstore.com. They are very rarely out of stock, I received my DVD 3 from them several weeks ago. Their prices are also very good, though I don't typically check Amazon so I'm not sure how they compare.
Old 2008-04-18, 19:37   Link #213
Ahasuerus
UNBOUND-ed

That's good to know, thanks. Right now I'm testing out RightStuf since I have a gotanime card; depending on their response to an email I just sent I may go through them. I like to reward prompt service with my hard-earned $$, but I'm high-maintenance LOL

I just believe that the Customer is most important, and not in a company's bottom line or image/face-saving devices and manipulations. As an example, ADV's refusal to answer queries or stock noticifications.

But RightStuf is still another questionable place... last night I found a box set of Haibane Renmei that I've been wanting; previously their site had shown it as sold out (understandable as it's a &^%$#$@ Geneon product). But I saw their listing now with "2 copies available" so ordered it. Got a confirmation (of order only) email. Today I checked their site and it says "sold out". Sent a query about it and yet to have heard back whether my order was filled or not, or whether I have to keep looking (during which time fewer (if any) copies are available elsewhere). I hate to be kept waiting... so I feel the Kanon-deprived's pain.

If I can make this savings work, then I can pre-order Kanon 4 through them, oltherwise I may try Robert's though they tend to be a bit more pricey (yeah, I've gotta watch my pennies carefully now)... but if DVDPacific can undercut them, I'll go there. Loyalty is a virtue but it works both ways (or should).
Old 2008-04-26, 13:26   Link #214
xris
Just call me Ojisan

My Kanon Vol 4 was shipped by DVDPacific yesterday (only 8 days after Vol 3 was shipped). Seems like they (ADV Films) are back on track with release dates.

The official release date for Vol 4 was 13th May but it's common for on-line stores to ship about 2 week earlier than that.
Old 2008-04-30, 02:46   Link #215
ninjapanda

been lurking around here for a while now. so hello everyone...

I noticed the same thing us guys did... that many places said sold out, but i find it funny that the best buy in my area has kanon vol 1-3 on the shelf...(been there for a now((but it looks like they are selling)) expecially since when i asked the manger when the series first came out he said that as far as he knew they weren't planning on putting it on the shelf(not that, that means much).... but as soon as everyone is/was having problems getting there disks they pop up in the store...

Rightstuf shipped my kanon vol 4 yesterday so thats nice to know that i'll be getting it soon... i hope everyone else gets theres without a problem at well.
Old 2008-07-03, 16:40   Link #216
suguru
京都 ikitai~

Ugh....Kanon volume 6 suspended indefinitely...if I end up with just five out of six volumes on my bookshelf that's going to be really sad. Guess it's just as well I didn't delete all my fansubs of it...

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...s-indefinitely
Old 2008-07-03, 19:16   Link #217
Ultima_Rasengan05
Version 3.0

Thats pretty sad, they almost completed the whole series and they just happen to stop at Vol.6. I too, will have an empty slot in my box set for Kanon. Hopefully something pops up that will let ADV release their remaining titles. I've noticed that ADV has been losing their reputation for their DVD releases and licenses this year.
Old 2008-07-03, 19:39   Link #218
Ahasuerus
UNBOUND-ed

This is getting f^%$#$g ridiculous These damn companies can't be trusted for anything! Actually I was dreading this happening ever since ADV had their first go-round with trouble around the time the artbox came out.

As my Kanon artbox slowly filled up with the DVD releases, I kept eyeing that date for the final one, hoping that the best (YMMV) arc of my favorite anime would be completed. I thought, "No, they're moving along and can be trusted to complete what they started."

HA!

Now my Kanon partial accompanies my Rozen Maiden partial set AND my Higurashi partial set

Man, I am STEAMED, and the news that Funimation has agreed to finish off the RM and Higgy series (along with a slew of others) doesn't make me feel all that much better...

I'll believe it when I see it

Quote:
Guess it's just as well I didn't delete all my fansubs of it...
Damn right. I almost deleted my Kanon fansubs when the releases started coming out regularly again, but man, am I glad that I didn't! Way to combat fansubs, ADV. AGAIN

Quote:
I've noticed that ADV has been losing their reputation for their DVD releases and licenses this year.
You know, I used to really like ADV. But this year they screwed everything up, along with us. I can no longer say that I care much about them any more. They're a COMPANY, and rare is the Company that puts its customers first

Man... right on (or near) the day it was to release...
Old 2008-07-03, 22:27   Link #219
Ultima_Rasengan05
Version 3.0

yeah I know how you feel. Ever since last year, I still have only vol.1 of Higurashi and the art box. I knew it already that they were going to cease distribution sometime later last year and I was right. So no sense of trying to complete an incomplete box set.

ADV is really letting down their fans this year. First with Newtype, now with their DVD distributions. Seems like Funimation, Anime Works, and Bandai Entertainment are the only companies that are very healthy in their DVD distribution.

I had a feeling that Vol.6 was going to come out sometime in July. I didn't get Vol.5 yet, but I was planning on completing the set with one purchase, but after hearing this, I think Kanon will be held out for a while. ADV should have at least try to distribute the last volume of Kanon...at the very least...-_-
Old 2008-07-04, 08:56   Link #220
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

I expected this to happen and wondered each time I bought a dvd if it'd be the last. I didn't think it'd happen on the final volume though, even Geneon managed to get the final volume of Fate/Stay Night out before they went under (though I recognize the situations are probably different). I'd like to say I've learned my lesson and will stay away from ADV but if they somehow got their hands on another of my favorite titles I'd probably start buying it anyway. At least Gurren-Lagann was rescued from them.
Closed Thread