Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-12-27, 10:28   Link #3501
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
Kanemoto Hisako can't sing in Russian either, but that didn't stop them.
Except Katusha you know... is perfectly suitable to be sang by females.

Although it'd be very cool if they can pull off Panzerlied. Too bad.

Quote:
Why would they go to the trouble of that when they didn't do it for any of the other schools.
I dunno, maybe because Black Forest is the final-boss of the series?

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that both Battle Hymn of the Republic and Katyusha are more famous as leitmotif for their respective countries. Panzerlied, on the other hand, is barely known outside of its military connotations (and Erika is more famous for that anyways).
Urm... this is a military show, about tanks...

You can argue that Battle Hymn and Katyusha may be more famous as leitmotif for their respective countries, and I agree, but you know you are talking about a show produced in a country where mili-otas associate themselves mostly with the Third-Reich, right? Never mind the many individuals involved with the production of this series. Not to mention the modern Bundeswehr doesn't even perform Erika as part of their list of military marches while I can think of three other countries that do Panzerlied. The only reason why Erika was included was due to the fact that we have a character named Erika in the show, which is somewhat ingenious as its one of the few names that can go both German or Japanese.

OTOH, I am actually quite pleasantly surprised they gave the Russians such a positive treatment. You don't usually get that.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.

Last edited by Tak; 2012-12-27 at 11:34.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-27, 10:46   Link #3502
Gravitas Free Zone

I still think she's going to go for the tank first.
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Pixiv.
Gravitas Free Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-27, 11:56   Link #3503
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Knackwurst View Post
Katyusha's selection of the KV-2 fit her character rather well also.
That's too true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaiar31 View Post
Match in this GUP is

international or national tournament
It's a national tournament. Yes, that means that all of the characters in the show are Japanese. The international tournament will probably be season 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
I dunno, maybe because Black Forest is the final-boss of the series?
That doesn't seem to matter too much. A lot of Black Forest's distinctiveness is diluted because Miho used to go to that school.

Quote:
Urm... this is a military show, about tanks...
No it isn't. Would you like Kay to explain it to you again? For both Pravda and Saunders, the more distinctly military pieces serve as secondary themes. The main themes go to the more general and well-known pieces.

Quote:
You can argue that Battle Hymn and Katyusha may be more famous as leitmotif for their respective countries, and I agree, but you know you are talking about a show produced in a country where mili-otas associate themselves mostly with the Third-Reich, right?
Sure, but Girls und Panzer goes out of its way to not cater to Nazi fetishists. I admit that this surprises me as much as it does anyone else.

Quote:
Never mind the many individuals involved with the production of this series. Not to mention the modern Bundeswehr doesn't even perform Erika as part of their list of military marches while I can think of three other countries that do Panzerlied. The only reason why Erika was included was due to the fact that we have a character named Erika in the show, which is somewhat ingenious as its one of the few names that can go both German or Japanese.
The Bundeswehr won't perform Erika because of its SS roots. That shouldn't matter to anyone else though.

Quote:
OTOH, I am actually quite pleasantly surprised they gave the Russians such a positive treatment. You don't usually get that.

- Tak
Seeing how the show respects the history of tank usage, this doesn't surprise me at all.

Quote:
I still think she's going to go for the tank first.
<SNIP>
I've always found it weird how similarly Rommel and Guderian dressed. The main difference is that Guderian is a lot more sloppy. The artist should add Rommel's binoculars though.
Old 2012-12-27, 12:11   Link #3504
Tak

Quote:
The main themes go to the more general and well-known pieces.
Except Erika isn't one of them.

Come on, are you seriously telling me that in the long history of German music composition, you actually would associate a 'general and well known piece' with Erika?

Quote:
The Bundeswehr won't perform Erika because of its SS roots. That shouldn't matter to anyone else though.
Sure, but it still doesn't make it a 'more general and well-known piece' as you claimed earlier, because it simply isn't. It is a pleasant surprise, and I appreciate its inclusion very much, but its hardly a more general piece. Its only there because Erika exists as a character. Either that or the Germans get special treatment with a piece most people won't casually play publicly.

So if the producers are going to go Third-Reich, might as well go all the way.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.

Last edited by Tak; 2012-12-27 at 12:34.
Old 2012-12-27, 12:11   Link #3505
Gravitas Free Zone

Quote:
Sure, but Girls und Panzer goes out of its way to not cater to Nazi fetishists. I admit that this surprises me as much as it does anyone else.
[...]
I was pleasantly surprised that GuP wasn't as adorative of Waffen-SS uniforms and Nazis as a lot of Japanese fanart seems to be.

Erika is a rather cute song, which speaks to its propaganda/morale value, and since I know of its history... that really creeps me the hell out. I can play it as background music for WoT, but I wouldn't ever play it casually in public.
Old 2012-12-27, 12:22   Link #3506
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Images
Miho's Mihos

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-27, 13:09   Link #3507
Sumeragi
Banned

About Erika: The only reason it is not used by the Bundeswehr is because there is the policy of not using marching songs composed/written during the existence of the Wehrmacht. The reason why the Panzerlied is used is because it was written in 1933 and published in 1934, one/two years before the Wehrmacht was formed in 1935. Erika on the other hand was officially published in 1938. In terms of being well known, Erika was actually more widely used than the Panzerlied until the 1965 film Battle of the Bulge, when mass media sort of overtook things.

Personally, I've always favored Erika to Panzerlied, but then it could be due to the fact that the ROKA uses it for their Combat Song of Allegiance and hearing it constantly sort of tuned me out of it.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-27, 13:24   Link #3508
4Tran

Quote:
Come on, are you seriously telling me that in the long history of German music composition, you actually would associate a 'general and well known piece' with Erika?
All of the other themes were popularly used during World War II, so Erika is a pretty good fit. Its lyrics are non-militaristic like Katyusha. I'd have gone with Flight of the Valkyries, but it doesn't fit with the other pieces as well. Ditto for Lili Marleen.

Quote:
I was pleasantly surprised that GuP wasn't as adorative of Waffen-SS uniforms and Nazis as a lot of Japanese fanart seems to be.
Yup. Otaku tend to really love their Nazi iconography. I thought that it would be the same in the show. While Erika was originally written for the SS, it got adopted by most of the Wehrmacht, so I don't think its connotations are that bad. It's a lot less jingoistic than Panzerlied!
Old 2012-12-27, 13:40   Link #3509
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
In terms of being well known, Erika was actually more widely used than the Panzerlied until the 1965 film Battle of the Bulge, when mass media sort of overtook things.
Personally I care for neither. I had my choices, but they weren't taken. Its a shame, really, especially since they had a far longer history than either Panzerlied or Erika.

But on the bright side, this version of Erika is probably the only HQ version all of us are ever going to get.

- Tak

Old 2012-12-27, 13:45   Link #3510
Sumeragi
Banned

*Shrugs*

Let's just say the oldies are a bit TOO grand or grouchy for a show like GuP

BTW, what do you mean by HQ version?
Old 2012-12-27, 13:48   Link #3511
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Panzer Vor!!!!!

YouTube

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
Old 2012-12-27, 13:59   Link #3512
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
BTW, what do you mean by HQ version?
Every version of Eureka you can find are more than half-century old during the days of records. GuP has the only updated version with modern arrangements.

- Tak

Old 2012-12-27, 14:06   Link #3513
Sumeragi
Banned

I probably need to dig up the one done in Chile in 1983 and the Afrikaans version.....

Plus, who said I myself didn't make a recording of my own playing
Old 2012-12-27, 14:17   Link #3514
Gravitas Free Zone

Too old, grand and grouchy like... the Königgrätzer Marsch?
Old 2012-12-27, 15:08   Link #3515
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Quote:
Too old, grand and grouchy like... the Königgrätzer Marsch?
While a personal favorite of mine, it is 19th century Prussian so....

Endless "Grouchy" Soul
Old 2012-12-27, 17:18   Link #3516
Chiaki_chan
Kubo GO TO HELL

Images
Yukari bunny

Images
Nonna
Old 2012-12-27, 17:28   Link #3517
Nork22

Well got my copy from Amazon.jp and so far enjoyed the presentation of the disc. Surprise to see 4 audio options: dts-MA 2.1, PCM2.0, seiyuu commentary and staff commentary. So far like the 2.1 track as it put's in a nice bass effect of the rounds fired in the first episode.

Also picked up the OST with my order and loving the 2nd disc so far. Highlight is definitely Katyusha but the Otome no Senshadou wind version was a great listen. Will give the first disc a listen later on.

Last edited by Nork22; 2012-12-27 at 17:51.
Nork22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-27, 17:34   Link #3518
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Send a message via AIM to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via MSN to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via Yahoo to RX-78GP04G Gerbera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiaki_chan View Post
Images
Yukari bunny

Images
Nonna
Got the Yukari one, but a simply, but very beautiful Nonna...the thighs....
RX-78GP04G Gerbera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-27, 18:03   Link #3519
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nork22 View Post
Well got my copy from Amazon.jp and so far enjoyed the presentation of the disc. Surprise to see 4 audio options: dts-MA 2.1, PCM2.0, seiyuu commentary and staff commentary. So far like the 2.1 track as it put's in a nice bass effect of the rounds fired in the first episode.

Also picked up the OST with my order and loving the 2nd disc so far. Highlight is definitely Katyusha but the Otome no Senshadou wind version was a great listen. Will give the first disc a listen later on.
*Emits green waves of jealousy at Nork22*

I want to have the OST too.... the music beckons me!!!!!

Images
Friends at the Beach

Old 2012-12-27, 18:21   Link #3520
Nork22

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
*Emits green waves of jealousy at Nork22*
**uses the Panzer IV's amour to shield me from them waves...

Tags
comedy, gup, original anime, slice of life, sports, tanks