AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2023-07-13, 03:05   Link #41
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
I also didn't expect the supernatural elements, so it was a surprise to me. I only watched this because it was on NF.

Anyway, outside more of the same insufferable drama from Miyo's dream about the past, it was an okay episode. It was about what I expected; mostly Miyo trying to become accustomed to her husband's demeanor. What I didn't expect was the husband's reasoning for turning down all those women, although given his position, it's not exactly unsurprising.

Minor note: there's this AMSR-esque component to Miyo's voice that bothers me a bit. The voice itself is fine though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
The supernatural aspect blindsided me. It made it clear Miyo's dad only cared about having an heir with powers. It seems like Miyo's mother was from a prestigious family so he most likely married her hoping to produce a strong child, he never loved her nor Miyo. He's a complete and utter asshole.
If he never loved Miyo, then why did he go out of his way to break his contract with the other guy and his household shown at the end of the episode? If she was just a tool to him, he wouldn't give her to someone who was known to reject all of their suitors, and even more, someone who could(and is) able to investigate him. Not to mention creating animosity with the guy's and his household of whom he just gave his "beloved" daughter to. Even with reason, it still doesn't discount what he has done to Miyo, but there might be a tinge of love for her somewhere deep in his heart.

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-13, 09:36   Link #42
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
If he never loved Miyo, then why did he go out of his way to break his contract with the other guy and his household shown at the end of the episode? If she was just a tool to him, he wouldn't give her to someone who was known to reject all of their suitors, and even more, someone who could(and is) able to investigate him. Not to mention creating animosity with the guy's and his household of whom he just gave his "beloved" daughter to. Even with reason, it still doesn't discount what he has done to Miyo, but there might be a tinge of love for her somewhere deep in his heart.
I don't know. I'm thinking Kiyoka offered him better terms, or simply that he wanted to get rid of her (he'd still see her if she married Kouji's brother). I'm also pretty sure Miyo isn't welcome into the house anymore even if she gets rejected by her husband, they made it rather clear it was a farewell. I also very much doubt he thought Kiyoka would care enough about Miyo to actually investigate her past.
Old 2023-07-13, 10:24   Link #43
Frontier

I'm just wondering if the power of her mothers' bloodline is more subtle or just skipped a generation and Koji's dad is thinking of the children ?
Old 2023-07-13, 17:52   Link #44
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
I'm just wondering if the power of her mothers' bloodline is more subtle or just skipped a generation and Koji's dad is thinking of the children ?
Probably the latter.
Old 2023-07-13, 22:08   Link #45
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Just checked out the first episode and geeze this really is Cinderella. Maybe even more brutal, but I haven't actually checked out anything related to Cinderella in a while .

Maybe the person who deserves pity the most here though is Koji. Presumably from the title things are going to be just fine with Miyo. Life has been awful for her for basically the whole time, but at least she's got a bright future. What does this guy have? Getting married to an absolute jerk? Oh joy. I mean sure she's cute, but not sure that'll help here. Honestly the sister is so over the top evil I wonder what she's thinking. Yeah, she gets to mess with Miyo by marrying the guy she liked. But she does realize that she has to be married to him right? That she'll be married to a guy that doesn't give a damn about her. I guess she won't care since she'll still be well off. Plus probably thinks he's a pushover and she can basically do whatever she wants.

Will have to keep going I guess to see how episode 2 goes. Thankfully it's out so I just have to keep going .

Episode 2 wasn't bad. The supernatural side I think was shown off in some trailers so that didn't surprise me too much. Not surprising that the family thought they had a concrete reason to treat Miyo like trash. Although seems like Koji's father at least is thinking about bloodlines there. Honestly shows how short-sighted and stupid the Saimori family is. Obviously there's no justified reason for being such scum. But they are equally stupid to not at least treat Miyo well so she could be married off. Instead they turned her into a broken shell.

The step-mother being angry and probably feeling inferior to Miyo's mother is somewhat explainable. But the father is a true moron for letting things play out like that. Though it does raise the question of why he didn't follow through with the agreement to marry Miyo to that other family. Can't say whether he did it for Miyo's sake or not since we don't know anything about the other family. Heck, we don't even really know if the change was his choice. Maybe the step-mother heard all the bad rumors and sent Miyo that way to further torment her. Miyo's father doesn't seem like the type that would step up for Miyo in that situation.

Honestly I think the best bit is how Miyo's behavior actually has her husband disturbed. Obviously he's used to girls more like the sister that are there for money or prestige. But also obvious that he didn't look into the family before this point. Makes me wonder how this all came about. Doesn't seem like he proactively sought out a daughter from this family to marry and more like it was an offer that was presented to him. He knows enough to be aware that the family has supernatural powers in their bloodlines but anything more than that is going to be found out during his coming investigation.

Makes me think that sending Miyo to this marriage was to mess with her. Mostly since if anyone thought Kudou was a good guy they wouldn't want to risk him getting curious and launching an investigation like he's about to. Since once he pops open the lid the stench of the Saimori family will be impossible to hide. Seems like the story is setting up Hana to be discovered during all this and to have her gladly reveal some dirty secrets. Shouldn't be all that hard either since the eldest daughter of the family being treated like a servant would be obvious to anyone visiting.

I am looking forward to Miyo reaching the happy part of this title though . She's getting small moments, but honestly deserves to be able to just breathe and enjoy her life a bit.

Last edited by FlareKnight; 2023-07-13 at 23:34.
FlareKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-14, 06:35   Link #46
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
The step-mother being angry and probably feeling inferior to Miyo's mother is somewhat explainable. But the father is a true moron for letting things play out like that. Though it does raise the question of why he didn't follow through with the agreement to marry Miyo to that other family. Can't say whether he did it for Miyo's sake or not since we don't know anything about the other family. Heck, we don't even really know if the change was his choice. Maybe the step-mother heard all the bad rumors and sent Miyo that way to further torment her. Miyo's father doesn't seem like the type that would step up for Miyo in that situation.
I hadn't thought about it, but it indeed wouldn't be surprising if the stepmother is the one who told the father to send her to Kiyoka in order to make her life even more miserable and finally be rid of her for good. If Miyo had married Kouji's brother, she'd still be part of the family and she most likely couldn't stand that.
Old 2023-07-14, 07:51   Link #47
Tenzen12

Not exactly thrilled about this shoe. Cartoonishly evil step-mother/step-sister is fine when it comes to actual fairy tails, but here I cringed whole time. I have also hard time feel bad for someone who doesn't offer even symbolic resistence.

Well, even with that it's not bad enough to drop it and hopefully Myo with help of her new fiance can become proper human being, which seems to be direction it's heading and I don't dislike that.
Old 2023-07-14, 09:13   Link #48
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
Not exactly thrilled about this shoe. Cartoonishly evil step-mother/step-sister is fine when it comes to actual fairy tails, but here I cringed whole time. I have also hard time feel bad for someone who doesn't offer even symbolic resistence.

Well, even with that it's not bad enough to drop it and hopefully Myo with help of her new fiance can become proper human being, which seems to be direction it's heading and I don't dislike that.
She did show resistance at first, and that led to the one servant who looked out for her getting fired and her being treated even worse. It's understandable she gave up and resigned herself to her fate at some point.
Old 2023-07-14, 10:21   Link #49
Tenzen12

Well, yeah I indeed understand why it happened, but "resigning herself to her fate" was still ultimately her own choice.
Old 2023-07-14, 11:08   Link #50
scififan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
Well, yeah I indeed understand why it happened, but "resigning herself to her fate" was still ultimately her own choice.
She is been called worthless by her father and step mother. Her father married her mother for her special power, but she didn't seem to inherit this power. So, her father started treated her like a junk. At this point, I am wondering if this is a shonen manga with josei cover page. Anyway, her other choice is running away. She will end up dying by this route.
scififan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-14, 11:49   Link #51
Tenzen12

There is no reason to keep explaining "why". I saw same two episodes as you and understand her circumstances.

Last edited by Tenzen12; 2023-07-14 at 12:00.
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-15, 23:23   Link #52
Xeiros

Cartoonishly evil? For fiction the level of human cruelty depicted thus far is positively tame. This story doesn’t hold a candle to the absolutely ghastly things humans have done and continue to do to each other in real life. When reality is so much worse than fiction.

There are people who act just like the step mother, step sister, and father in real life. They are as accurate to reality as the supernatural powers and grotesqueries are fictional.
Old 2023-07-16, 01:59   Link #53
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

If Stepmom had a mustache she’d definitely twirl it.

I bet she shaves…
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-16, 09:55   Link #54
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Seriously, are Cinderella comparisons always going to be brought up? Ep2 brought about plenty of extra detail and justifications to send it on a different enough path. And it's hardly a reason to not feel empathy for Miyo.

Was already aware of the supernatural aspect, but the guilt of anyone standing up for her being expelled would have been a permanent scar. Miyo's actions and feelings make perfect sense for being reduced to having utterly no self-value. Anyone valuing her efforts is probably the first thing that positive she ever experienced.

Kudo is the bane of all gold-diggers. His frustrations are very justified as well as his generally jaded nature. Self-reliant and rational, being able to detect the effects his actions had and getting a vibe as to why Miyo was so apologetic. Yurie is a good bridge between the two.

Also, isn't Stepmom's mustache transplanted onto her lips? That's pretty much her version of a mustache twirl.

If this title works out long-term, it will be a good genesis of a soul/person tale. Only time I've seen that pulled off well in anime was for Rune Balot in Mardock Scramble. This is on the utter polar opposite for intensity and taking a gentle approach. So there's going to be a lot of relative baby steps before things get heavy. Hopefully this doesn't try to be too by the numbers.
Old 2023-07-19, 10:01   Link #55
Frontier

This seemed to have eased into a good vibe between Miyo and Kiyoka. He eats her food, and she's happy to be pleasing him, but she's still living and acting like she's a servant in the household and not a proper lady. Perfect excuse for Kiyoka to take her out on the town on their first proper date as a couple !

Yurie really nailing her (grand)mother-in-law vibes by giving Miyo a complete makeover! She's like a brand new woman! And she's managed to make Kiyoka utterly speechless and fluster him, which is a pretty big win .

I guess if there was any ambiguity as to whether Miyo's father actually cared about her, they were immediately dispelled with the revelation that they just gave her away to the Kudo's because they just needed an excuse to get rid of her and he saw no value in her at all. He's totally written her off as likely to get cast off by Kiyoka for her lack of supernatural powers, the same reason the family treated her so poorly to begin with. And all Koji's dad wants is her bloodline. What rotten men .

Kaya also can't stand even the very mention of her sister now, and knows Koji still has feelings for her even though he seems to be trying to keep on her good side .

There was no way Kiyoka couldn't take Miyo to work without his subordinate catching them together. Godo's not going to let him live that one down .

Man, Miyo is so broken she thinks she has to apologize for enjoying the scenery. Meanwhile her hubby-to-be is actually trying to make her live a little and is out shopping for kimono's for her because he sees the quality of her garments and knows she deserves better. Also when you're envisioning how beautiful a girl will look when she wears a specific kimono, I think that means you're pretty into her. And not to mention it will probably remind Miyo of her mother with that cherry blossom pattern. Kiyoka better follow that lady's advice, the best payback to the Saimori family is making Miyo happy and letting her grow into the stunning and amazing woman she can be as a Kudo .

Kiyoka gifts Miyo a comb which is practically a proposal of marriage on his part, even if he plays it off, but it's Miyo finally smiling at him that is the real gift .

So Kiyoka had everything investigated but had an inkling Miyo didn't have powers, but all he really is concerned about is healing all the emotional wounds her family inflicted on her. I guess the fact that Shinichi and Kanoko were lovers before he was forced to marry Miyo's mother explains a lot, though also the fact that the Usuba family are apparently legendary (and have mind powers?) expands things a little as well .

Shiki-Gami following Kiyoka around? Is someone trying to take him out? Koji's family's ?
Old 2023-07-19, 11:36   Link #56
Blaat

Not going to lie at this point I'm more interested in the politicking and supernatural elements than the actual romance which quite frankly is going shockingly way too well.
Old 2023-07-19, 11:58   Link #57
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
Not going to lie at this point I'm more interested in the politicking and supernatural elements than the actual romance which quite frankly is going shockingly way too well.
A part of me appreciates that they're not dragging out Miyo's unhappiness any more than they did the past two episodes.
Old 2023-07-19, 18:15   Link #58
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

The father appears to be as much of an asshole as I expected. I guess the fact Miyo is the daughter of a woman he was forced to marry against his will when he loved another is another reason he has no love for her. He sent her to Kiyoka fully expecting her to be thrown out and die on the street.

Thankfully, things are going better than ever for her. Got to put on some make-up for the first time in her life and enjoy the city. She still understandably has incredibly low self-esteem and believes her life with Kiyoka will end once she tells her she has no superpowers but we know better. It makes perfect for Kiyoka, who hates gold-diggers, to not be interested in Miyo's powers or lack thereof.

When Kouji mentioned to Kaya they should go to that new store, I totally thought they were going to run into Miyo looking super pretty with a giga ikemen by her side which would have inevitably made Kaya seethe, but I guess it's postponed until later.

Rather intriguing that Miyo's mother is from a family most believe don't even exist. Mind control powers, huh? If they went to the trouble of telling us that, it'll be relevant. Either another family member entering the story or Miyo awakening her powers. Those powers seem very ill suited to someone like Miyo though.
Old 2023-07-19, 18:28   Link #59
grecefar

kudo nailed it with the sakura kimono, it will look great on her as we saw a preview.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-19, 19:08   Link #60
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
The father appears to be as much of an asshole as I expected. I guess the fact Miyo is the daughter of a woman he was forced to marry against his will when he loved another is another reason he has no love for her. He sent her to Kiyoka fully expecting her to be thrown out and die on the street.

Thankfully, things are going better than ever for her. Got to put on some make-up for the first time in her life and enjoy the city. She still understandably has incredibly low self-esteem and believes her life with Kiyoka will end once she tells her she has no superpowers but we know better. It makes perfect for Kiyoka, who hates gold-diggers, to not be interested in Miyo's powers or lack thereof.

When Kouji mentioned to Kaya they should go to that new store, I totally thought they were going to run into Miyo looking super pretty with a giga ikemen by her side which would have inevitably made Kaya seethe, but I guess it's postponed until later.

Rather intriguing that Miyo's mother is from a family most believe don't even exist. Mind control powers, huh? If they went to the trouble of telling us that, it'll be relevant. Either another family member entering the story or Miyo awakening her powers. Those powers seem very ill suited to someone like Miyo though.
Honestly my first thought was someone was going to spin it that Miyo is using her powers to make Kiyoka fall in love with her as the only way someone like that could ever be nice to her.