AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-09-09, 18:30   Link #1
yongshun

Usagi Drops

When Daikichi returns home for his grandfather's funeral he meets an unfamiliar child in the garden. Later, his mother explains to him that Rin is grandfather's illegitimate daughter! The presence of the child causes embarrassment to all relatives and nobody wants to adopt her. Daikichi, annoyed by such attitude, decides to take care of her himself. How will the cohabitation between the bachelor and the quiet Rin evolve?

from onemanga.com

Anyone reading this one? I started reading it cause it just sounded unusal and gave it a try, now I am hooked on the story, the art is a little unusual but I really enjoy the atomosphere of it.

Last edited by yongshun; 2010-09-12 at 21:19.
Old 2008-09-09, 23:03   Link #2
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

I picked this up cause I was bored and really glad I did.
Very nice, light-hearted story. Art is a little unusual but art style has never really bothered me before.

will be sticking with this to see what happens
Old 2008-09-09, 23:06   Link #3
DragonBladeX
Kancolle love!

Just blazed up to Chapter 8.

The art felt weird in the beginning but the story is quite heart-warming. And as the current underlying plot is locating Rin's mother, I am looking forward to the manga solving that mystery.

I liked the part about the modem in the grandfather's house
Old 2008-09-09, 23:12   Link #4
yongshun

I really like the how a salary man went from living a single life to a single father overnight and on top of that the child is not even his. It becomes a new learning experience for him and for little Rin.
Old 2009-01-04, 15:14   Link #5
yongshun

new chapter is out and the meeting of the mother. interesting meeting now I wonder if Rin is really his grandfather's child, cause wouldn't that make Rin is Aunt and his mother's sister? and yet she calls his mom grandmother. Plus the mother is really weird just like how his grandfather described her not mature enough to keep Rin and she really loves her.
Old 2009-01-04, 19:03   Link #6
LeaD36
LeaDfactor

Send a message via MSN to LeaD36
technically yes, but out of courtesy they donīt call each other that way, it would confuse the poor kid aswell
Old 2009-01-04, 19:39   Link #7
Kenn
Stomp

Picked it up because I was bored to death. The art didn't bother me at all, and the story is awesome. Reminds me a whole lot of My Girl, with the single salary man ending up as a father in a night and stuff.

http://k625.blogspot.com/ - Kenn's blog of random everythings
Old 2009-01-04, 19:48   Link #8
kari-no-sugata

I decided to check this out about an hour ago and quickly blasted through the available chapters. I enjoyed this quite a bit. The characters and situations feel particularly real and believable (for manga), and nobody feels particularly stereotypical. There's quite a strong theme on work-life balance - I wonder if this will continue, or if the story will become less about the shorter term issues and more about longer term possibilities...

Anyway, thank you to J-SIS for scanlating this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yongshun View Post
new chapter is out and the meeting of the mother. interesting meeting now I wonder if Rin is really his grandfather's child, cause wouldn't that make Rin is Aunt and his mother's sister? and yet she calls his mom grandmother. Plus the mother is really weird just like how his grandfather described her not mature enough to keep Rin and she really loves her.
In Japanese, a number of words normally used in english to describe family relations are actually rather more general in usage. Eg, "oji-san" (uncle) is often used to refer to any man (old enough to be married, but not so old looking that they could be a grandfather), and so on. "Onee-san" can mean "elder sister", or older girl / younger woman (not a child, but unlikely to be married), and there's a number variants on this too. Such usage can even apply to married couples - like the wife may refer to her husband as "otou-san" (father), but only if they have kids. So basically, X (where X is a family reference term) can mean both "person who is my X" and also "person who is an X". I wonder if anyone has written a book on this stuff...

Anyway... My thoughts on the mother (referring to chapter 11): hard to warm up to, isn't she. Despite that, I won't condemn her - things can get rather complicated in situations like these and it's hard to appreciate what the people involved went through. However, if she turns around later and insists on taking Rin back, then I won't have any sympathy for her. I'd take Rin's judgement on this one. I do wonder why she slept with a (then) 73 year old guy though - maybe she wanted to experience sex so that she could write about it...?

PS On some unrelated notes... Apparently I somewhat take after my mother's father (though I've never seen a picture of him when a bit younger). It can happen. Also, though the probability would be quite low, I'm pretty sure it's perfectly possible for a 73 year guy to father a child. As long as some living sperm can reach the egg, fertilisation is possible (though actually the majority of fertilised eggs naturally abort after a week or two)
Old 2009-01-05, 04:37   Link #9
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

A man can make babies till the day he dies, thats if he doesn't gain any health issues down there that is.

Anyway, Rin's mother... what a total bitch and ditz. She was (still is?) obviously a prostitute. Kinda wonder how old she is too. Looks like a teenager, but the art is a little wonky so can't really say.
Old 2009-01-05, 04:46   Link #10
Wargumm1i
Hentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by kari-no-sugata View Post
I decided to check this out about an hour ago and quickly blasted through the available chapters. I enjoyed this quite a bit. The characters and situations feel particularly real and believable (for manga), and nobody feels particularly stereotypical. There's quite a strong theme on work-life balance - I wonder if this will continue, or if the story will become less about the shorter term issues and more about longer term possibilities...

Anyway, thank you to J-SIS for scanlating this.

In Japanese, a number of words normally used in english to describe family relations are actually rather more general in usage. Eg, "oji-san" (uncle) is often used to refer to any man (old enough to be married, but not so old looking that they could be a grandfather), and so on. "Onee-san" can mean "elder sister", or older girl / younger woman (not a child, but unlikely to be married), and there's a number variants on this too. Such usage can even apply to married couples - like the wife may refer to her husband as "otou-san" (father), but only if they have kids. So basically, X (where X is a family reference term) can mean both "person who is my X" and also "person who is an X". I wonder if anyone has written a book on this stuff...

Anyway... My thoughts on the mother (referring to chapter 11): hard to warm up to, isn't she. Despite that, I won't condemn her - things can get rather complicated in situations like these and it's hard to appreciate what the people involved went through. However, if she turns around later and insists on taking Rin back, then I won't have any sympathy for her. I'd take Rin's judgement on this one. I do wonder why she slept with a (then) 73 year old guy though - maybe she wanted to experience sex so that she could write about it...?

PS On some unrelated notes... Apparently I somewhat take after my mother's father (though I've never seen a picture of him when a bit younger). It can happen. Also, though the probability would be quite low, I'm pretty sure it's perfectly possible for a 73 year guy to father a child. As long as some living sperm can reach the egg, fertilisation is possible (though actually the majority of fertilised eggs naturally abort after a week or two)
Well I cant say its impossible, because Rin is 5 years old right? and her father was 68 at the time when he pretended to be 40 again lol, but something tells me there is so much more behind this.
Old 2009-01-05, 07:24   Link #11
nadare

Send a message via MSN to nadare
Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
A man can make babies till the day he dies, thats if he doesn't gain any health issues down there that is.

Anyway, Rin's mother... what a total bitch and ditz. She was (still is?) obviously a prostitute. Kinda wonder how old she is too. Looks like a teenager, but the art is a little wonky so can't really say.

She wasn't a prostitute. She was a maid.

And I'm also suspecting that she's really not her grandfathers child. I mean when the way she talks, she doesn't seem to have had bore a child with him.

It was more like when she was the maid she bore a child with another guy and she wanted to abort the child because she doesn't want to have a child. But Grandpa coerced her to bore the child instead. And now since the mother didn't want responsibility to the child, Gandpa raised her instead.
Old 2009-01-05, 07:36   Link #12
ReddyRedWolf

That would make Rin an adopted child...twice. If that theory is right.

Something tells me there is more to her reluctance.

Either her bf abandoned her finding out she was preggers or Rin may be child born of rape.
Old 2009-01-05, 08:29   Link #13
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadare View Post
She wasn't a prostitute. She was a maid.

And I'm also suspecting that she's really not her grandfathers child. I mean when the way she talks, she doesn't seem to have had bore a child with him.

It was more like when she was the maid she bore a child with another guy and she wanted to abort the child because she doesn't want to have a child. But Grandpa coerced her to bore the child instead. And now since the mother didn't want responsibility to the child, Gandpa raised her instead.
I know she was a caretaker, thats her "official" job. But you know she was getting paid to give the nooky too. Why else would her "appointments" be dead in the middle of the night. And when her friend whoever that guy is asked who she was on the phone with. "It was work, another pedophile" -Rest my case.
Old 2009-01-05, 09:19   Link #14
incube
Dango Master
*IT Support

Sounds interesting and personally im weak to this kind of stories... but before i start and most likely get hooked on the story i wanted to know how many chapter have been released and how far does it seem to be from the end.
Old 2009-01-05, 16:01   Link #15
yongshun

Quote:
Originally Posted by incube View Post
Sounds interesting and personally im weak to this kind of stories... but before i start and most likely get hooked on the story i wanted to know how many chapter have been released and how far does it seem to be from the end.
So far 11 chapters have been released and dont know about how long to the end
Old 2009-01-05, 16:50   Link #16
Miles Teg

4 manga have been released for a total of 24 chapters, the story is still ongoing.

For now 2 manga have been released in France, the third one should be released in March.

Rin mother is a pro-mangaka (you will see her work in volume 3) she was only starting her career when Rin was little and she was meeting her manager/editor late at night nothing less nothing more. If you want some "strange" story about Rin mother you are looking at the wrong manga/mangaka.
Old 2009-01-05, 16:59   Link #17
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Teg View Post
4 manga have been released for a total of 24 chapters, the story is still ongoing.

For now 2 manga have been released in France, the third one should be released in March.

Rin mother is a pro-mangaka (you will see her work in volume 3) she was only starting her career when Rin was little and she was meeting her manager/editor late at night nothing less nothing more. If you want some "strange" story about Rin mother you are looking at the wrong manga/mangaka.
I think its strange and suspicious enough that she had an affair with a 70+ year old man.
Old 2009-01-05, 18:21   Link #18
ZODDGUTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadare View Post

That's the feeling I got as well.
Old 2009-01-27, 22:50   Link #19
yongshun

Chapter 12 is out and wow Rin is such a cutie and she is more grown up then her mother and Daikichi
Old 2009-02-04, 10:05   Link #20
ZODDGUTS

Checked out the raws really surprised by what happened. Big spoilers ahead.

Take a guess who

Spoiler for !:

Answer:

Spoiler for !!!:

More pics:
Spoiler for @_@:

Spoiler for So basicly:

Last edited by ZODDGUTS; 2009-02-04 at 19:21.
Closed Thread