AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2010-06-11, 13:26   Link #1961
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post
Spoiler for dun dun duuun:
Spoiler:
Old 2010-06-11, 13:39   Link #1962
Ziziphus
Whatever

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
You were not watching enough TV, some kids at age 5 are more clever than those at age 30... one of the basic rules when kids are included.
But TV also has characters who look much younger than their actual age too, especially if you're short (well, short people tend to look younger than their actual age). Anyway, I think there's no point arguing about her age since we have no way to confirm it in the manga, so just believe in what we want to believe, I guess. (Personally, I think she's 2 or 3 years younger than Al.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
And? Now he will enjoy a peaceful life. It's not like he needs it now and he isn't too depressed about it either. I don't really see huge drama here.
Well, I AM depressed about it! Yeah, Ed has grown up and chose not to rely on alchemy anymore, but there's such a bitter taste in my mouth when I watched him make that decision. It's a big loss to me.

Overall, I'm plenty satisfied with the ending. The ending fits the tone of the series perfectly, and except for the last pics showing the future of characters there's no cheese really. Like I said Ed's loss of alchemy ability is huge to me, and then there's Greed's sacrifice... Not to mention the lack of Royai at the end may suggest that they decided to set aside their personal feelings for each other and keep on the current boss-subordinate relationship while working to rebuild the country...(maybe I'm just reading too much into it though) So not an overly too happy ending to me.
Old 2010-06-11, 13:45   Link #1963
kitten320

Well I guess it's my personal problem, I just like dramatic endings... I actually wouldn't mind if Al never came back... not that I hate him or anything.

Though he did deserve his body back.
Old 2010-06-11, 14:13   Link #1964
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

It was right after the end of the first Fullmetal Alchemist anime TV series, that I picked-up the manga about six years ago.

The very first chapters went accordingly to what happened in the anime, but once reaching the end of the Fifth Laboratory arc and the Dublith arc the story drastically changed from what I'd watched in the first anime.

I didn't have any idea of who "Father" was in the manga or anime, until Arakawa-sensei introduced the character at the very end of the Dublith arc.

So, here I am folks. My trek around the manga finished yesterday once I read from beginning to end the very last chapter / issue.

Spoiler:

What I very much loved about this manga was how Arakawa-sensei kept with the pacing without dragging the arcs or rushing them, and that's same to say about the characters.
She had to wait, until the story came to certain points or situations to properly have the characters start to acting for themselves. I know that she introduced way too much characters and was forced to minimize their performances and apparitions on the panels to allow for more interaction with the protagonists and the main casts, but she never casted away the other characters.

The other thing I liked about this manga was how it kept a balance of strengths. With that I meant with that is that in many typical, battle shounen stories or quests, the hero always can rely upon the friends he or she has met along the journey for help or to get strength from them.
The balance that FMA attained was that the Elric Brothers had to encourage among themselves in the most critical, dire, or grievous circumstances to believe in their own strengths. At times, they were thoughtful about not requiring the help of their buddies, if they realize that their friends would happen to be at the mercy of an inminent danger or jeopardy. However, at times (not all of them) were smart and kind enough to admit at asking for help.

Their burning passion and bravery made their acquaintances to be inspired about them to move on.

If you ask me, from my personal opinion I believe that the story primarily revolved around Hohenheim at finishing what he started. Through Hohenheim the readers were introduced at how all this mess began, ages before the Elric brothers' tragedy.

To be honest, Father made for an interesting and effective villain. It wasn't the "bent on world domination" villain-cliché type. Rather, my theory suggests that Father attempted to become a god itself to escape from whatever laws or rules the universe, the truth, or God imposes to all living and/or non-living organisms.
I believe Father could not bear the thought of being a puppet to a higher intelligence, conscience, or sentience and be manipulated to the whims of that sentience. But at the end, Father reaped what he sowed. Its own conceitedness gave birth to its despair. Father wasn't different from all those humans it crushed, devoured, and swatted like buzzing flies. It used all those souls and life and traded them for energy to build its strength and knowledge, but it never believed in itself at all.
Spoiler:
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-11, 14:14   Link #1965
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Bah! Teenagers and their "I hate happy endings" syndrome!

Don't worry, you'll get over that phase.
Old 2010-06-11, 16:05   Link #1966
zebra
❙❙❙❙❙❙❙❥

Send a message via AIM to zebra Send a message via MSN to zebra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Spoiler:
I have no idea what we are disagreeing about then
Sorry if I misread.

Gotta say that was my favorite page(s) in the whole thing (big spoiler ):
Spoiler for page 84/85:
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-11, 17:38   Link #1967
Jarmel

Favorite scene for me had to be when Father was getting the crap punched out of him and he's just goes "How can he be attacking me with HIS BARE FIST!". He's like "Cannot compute. Brain Overload!"Although I did like the "That is the correct answer, Alchemist" alot.

It's really quite impressive how Arakawa not only remembered the whole Nina plot thread put actually put it in there. The throwbacks not only make perfect sense but fit in there quite well.

Roy getting his eyesight back is fine because he had it forcibly taken from him through no fault of his own unlike Ed, Al, and Izumi who chose to do human transmutation.

Also something interesting to note is how much Ed has changed throughout the series as noting his first speech in the church about how Alchemists were close to being gods and at the end notes that he's just a normal human being.
Jarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-11, 19:43   Link #1968
Sir-Nemesis

FMA Forever

Very Epic Final!!!
Old 2010-06-11, 19:55   Link #1969
bigdeath

I'm glad Roy got his sight back. If he'd stayed blind I'd be a very pissed fanboy (platonic, of course)

Spoiler for final ch:

Can't wait to see this animated.
bigdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-11, 22:01   Link #1970
gameboy234

Very good plot and story telling. I love how every1 fought and it reach the climax towards the end of the manga.
Happily ever after ending and no loose knots lying around. I can't find any bad points to pick on.
gameboy234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-11, 22:47   Link #1971
K_Babyy
Fullmetal Heart

I still can't believe it's over.

It's gonna be weird not having a new chapter to look forward to next month, but at least we still have the rest of the anime to watch. I hope BONES doesn't disappoint, doing great so far so we'll see.

The ending was absolutely amazing, flawless and I couldn't be more pleased. Arakawa's art was just beautiful and I found myself staying on certain pages a minute or two longer just to admire it.

The page with the photos was the perfect way to wrap things up, I loved the words that were on it.
Old 2010-06-11, 23:15   Link #1972
Poetic Justice
100Shots100Hits LuluLaLu

I'm not saying the ending wasn't good, It was definitely good.

I'm saying it didn't defy expectations. Something the series had been doing constantly and what made it so superior to most other manga's. It would have raised the ending from good to excellent if it had done something to defy fan expectations of what was going to happen.

Up till hohenheim's death everything had been in line with the series. But flipping through the pages after you just knew that there was going to be a winry/ed scene. A scene where roy and scar talk about ishvalians. Where ling goes back.

I just think the ending was too methodical for fma. It was done to appease a fanbase who wants to see how and where everyone in the story ends up.
Old 2010-06-11, 23:44   Link #1973
Matt122005

Just wondering, but how many think that there is a good possibility that BONES will try and milk this franchise more by creating a sequel later on to their original anime version.

I for one would love more FMA regardless.
Matt122005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-12, 00:33   Link #1974
Rennir
Quietly Lurking
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt122005 View Post
Just wondering, but how many think that there is a good possibility that BONES will try and milk this franchise more by creating a sequel later on to their original anime version.

I for one would love more FMA regardless.
No, I'd rather end the anime/manga on a good note than have BONES try to drag it on in order to make a profit and ruin the series. There's just a time when a series has to end, and if it continues beyond that point, the series will just become boring and repetitive and I don't want that happening to FMA.
________
Gay Army

Last edited by Rennir; 2011-04-19 at 05:54.
Rennir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-12, 00:38   Link #1975
mechalord
Deploying Funnel Cakes

There is no real point to sequels of the first TV series since it was continued in movies and the like. I think it was eventually concluded.

They could expand on the true series with side stories in the forms of OAVs or graphic novels relating to the resolution of unsolved matters in the original series.
mechalord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-12, 00:38   Link #1976
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poetic Justice View Post
I'm not saying the ending wasn't good, It was definitely good.

I'm saying it didn't defy expectations. Something the series had been doing constantly and what made it so superior to most other manga's. It would have raised the ending from good to excellent if it had done something to defy fan expectations of what was going to happen.

Up till hohenheim's death everything had been in line with the series. But flipping through the pages after you just knew that there was going to be a winry/ed scene. A scene where roy and scar talk about ishvalians. Where ling goes back.

I just think the ending was too methodical for fma. It was done to appease a fanbase who wants to see how and where everyone in the story ends up.
Yeah, except only two of those three things we "just knew we'd see" happened, and neither in necessarily expected ways.

And speaking of expected?
Spoiler for 108:

I can say this is hands down the best ending I've ever seen in any manga, and best in any genre production outside of the Cowboy Bebop anime (that's going to be hard to beat).

ブラボーブラビッシィモー、荒川先生。本当にありがとうございます。
Old 2010-06-12, 00:57   Link #1977
Poetic Justice
100Shots100Hits LuluLaLu

Yes i noticed the eyes and as i said before that the last page was very important and was the only conclusion that was needed.

Last edited by Poetic Justice; 2010-06-12 at 01:23.
Poetic Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-12, 03:01   Link #1978
Lolipopo
Srsly ?
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Bah! Teenagers and their "I hate happy endings" syndrome!

Don't worry, you'll get over that phase.

Ahahahaha, you had me loling with this XD
So, so true.

Spoiler:

And Hoheneim was a winner. Really. I almost cried.

Last edited by Lolipopo; 2010-06-12 at 03:14.
Lolipopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-12, 03:12   Link #1979
Coreyrn

Just noticed that after reading the last chapter the second time.

When Ed is up at the roof he wears his hair as a simple pigtail again. Don't know if he did that in the previous chapters after his early scene in the manga where he changes his pigtail to a braided pigtail because of his father.

Maybe it is a symbol that he accepted Hohenheim finally as his father as a little addition to
Spoiler for 108:
Coreyrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-12, 04:28   Link #1980
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolipopo View Post
And Hoheneim was a winner. Really. I almost cried.
Almost? I was in tears for a good while.