AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

View Poll Results: Lucky Star - Episode 13 Rating
Perfect 10 41 39.42%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 27 25.96%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 19 18.27%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 9.62%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 3.85%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.96%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 1.92%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-07-02, 22:04   Link #81
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

On another forum, someone speculated something I find interesting and carrying some probability:
Quote:
Originally Posted by houkoholic of MT forums, quoted with apologies
In fact now that I think about it, I'm starting to suspect the dismiss of Yamamoto Yutaka as director is because he probably wanted a much more faithful adaptation of the manga instead of the style that Lucky Star has taken on now. All the anime reference jokes only really took off after he left.
Old 2007-07-02, 22:19   Link #82
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

I don't know, that sounds rather like a post hoc ergo propter hoc idea. And seriously, I thought some of the earlier episodes had comparable amounts of references to some of the later episodes. It's just that it's more obvious in the later episodes, what with the HOT BLOODED SCREAMING and all.
Old 2007-07-02, 22:21   Link #83
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
On another forum, someone speculated something I find interesting and carrying some probability:
I tend to agree with this assessment, but I also think he has problem with comedic timing. He can't seemed to place his punchline very well and all the jokes flows like a single narrative. I also thought he should have begin with something which gives us more background on the girls for those who has never followed the manga. I think this all pointed to his removal.

I also tend to believe this though - public dismissal like this is RARE in Japanese companies unless it involved saving face for someone else. Meaning, you would only do this only if it makes another party happy. I really don't see that here. If this is really a dismissal, there won't be such a public statement and such an overt statement; thing will get glossed over or another excuse will be made up for it. The whole annoucement sounds like a joke. Yamamoto may have creative disagreement with either the sponsors or possibly the author, and decided to quit the project. I'm almost certain he wasn't let go from the project due to incompetence. No major apology to anyone was followed either; the whole thing smelled like a red herring. I think it's KyoAni screwing with the fans again.
Old 2007-07-02, 22:31   Link #84
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

aye... I just thought the idea was interesting enough to forward. I also have never made sense of the dismissal for the same reasons as you say about such things. There's also the fact that KyoAni typically does a thorough storyboard up front for an entire series.

ep 13's content will provide some illumination about whether we can expect the "intrusions" to ebb and flow or continue to ramp up.
Old 2007-07-02, 22:40   Link #85
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

I just find it deliciously ironic that people were worried that Kyoto Animation might not be able to fill in material for a 4-koma series, which is naturally disjointed and hard to make a TV series for. Yet now, we're here worrying about the exact opposite being true. ^_^

I personally think this might be hard to guage until the series is nearly over, as Kyoto Animation has shown that they're not necessarily tied to the order in which each short story is presented in the manga. For example, the bit about Konata looking at Miyuki's report card was one of the earliest stories in the manga, but it didn't show up for quite a while in the anime.
Old 2007-07-02, 23:55   Link #86
dahl_moon
Apathy moe~
*Scanlator

Just saw the episode. Enjoyed the first half, meh the second half, ending crazy creative.
Spoiler:
Old 2007-07-03, 00:01   Link #87
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
I've toyed with that theory recently for the exact same reasons. I'll say I think it is possible as well.
Old 2007-07-03, 00:03   Link #88
AlphaDragoon
Flame of the Dragonslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Although, Bandai still seems to be very strict when it comes to Gundam.
Yeah, I caught this. Konata's a teenage anime fangirl and DOESN'T have Kira Yamato/Athrun Zala/Lacus Clyne-centric memorabilia? Yeah right.
Old 2007-07-03, 00:12   Link #89
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaDragoon View Post
Yeah, I caught this. Konata's a teenage anime fangirl and DOESN'T have Kira Yamato/Athrun Zala/Lacus Clyne-centric memorabilia? Yeah right.
Well, there are otaku subs-sets.... Gun-Ota are really a breed to themselves though... It's possible that she's not into the genre, but since we know about her intense interest in Getter Robo, I think it's more about Bandai being asses rather than Kona's lack of interest in emo boys piloting fancy robots while crying. I believe KyoAni would not miss a Gundam parody if they're allowed to.
Old 2007-07-03, 00:18   Link #90
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVPlaya View Post
Well, there are otaku subs-sets.... Gun-Ota are really a breed to themselves though... It's possible that she's not into the genre, but since we know about her intense interest in Getter Robo, I think it's more about Bandai being asses rather than Kona's lack of interest in emo boys piloting fancy robots while crying. I believe KyoAni would not miss a Gundam parody if they're allowed to.
Well there was the "Asia" thing during the last episode, which seems like an obvious reference to Master Asia from G Gundam given Seki Tomokazu basically pulling a Domon Kashuu on him.
Old 2007-07-03, 01:10   Link #91
Princess_of_Hell
Being Felt Up My Skirt

Send a message via AIM to Princess_of_Hell
What is up with that ending sequence?

Overall, it was a good episode and I enjoyed the Animate scene at the end. I LOLed when Konata decided not to purchase the DVD since she found out she didn't have enough yen.
Old 2007-07-03, 01:26   Link #92
AlphaDragoon
Flame of the Dragonslayer

Quote:
I think it's more about Bandai being asses rather than Kona's lack of interest in emo boys piloting fancy robots while crying. I believe KyoAni would not miss a Gundam parody if they're allowed to.
Yeah, that's the point I was making. If Bandai wasn't being overly strict about it you KNOW Kona-chan would have the Freedom and the Kira posters flying proudly.
Old 2007-07-03, 01:40   Link #93
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
....I'm almost certain he wasn't let go from the project due to incompetence. No major apology to anyone was followed either; the whole thing smelled like a red herring. I think it's KyoAni screwing with the fans again.
kj1980 speculated when it happened that he might have been having trouble with the administrative aspects of the job, such as interacting with sponsors/producers, and they made up this cover story to rescue him from his bind.

I think Yamakan is creatively brilliant, at least on a small scale, witness the OP and ED. I think any problem with comedic timing would be more down to the writer, storyboarder and director of a specific episode, rather than the overall director. He did storyboard and direct ep1, I think.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2007-07-03, 02:14   Link #94
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The screen caps are up over on Random Curiosity. Looks mostly wonderful -- some very beautiful moments make it onscreen, but I'm starting to wonder if we're going to have to bear with "anime-only" Sousuke and his cohorts in every episode for the rest of the series.

I'd like more Lucky*Star, please? It's not like there isn't a truckload of funny stuff and characters from the manga, eh?
Old 2007-07-03, 02:31   Link #95
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

At least this time, Animate Tenchou's appearance is more integrated with Konata's normal activities. It's not quite the same as the previous episode, where his appearace didn't really have anything to do with the girls.
Old 2007-07-03, 03:14   Link #96
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

About to watch the raw.... I'll toss some comments in the morning. Hopefully, my irritation will be covered in thick aloe vera by then
Old 2007-07-03, 03:33   Link #97
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Quote:
About to watch the raw.... I'll toss some comments in the morning. Hopefully, my irritation will be covered in thick aloe vera by then
Off-topic (gomen-ne!): I brought a bottle of aloe vera with me here to SoCal because I *knew* I'd burn (as I always do when I'm in the sun longer than 15 minutes.. sucks when you live in Vegas ne). I'd been complaining for two days about my pinkish face; looks like my cheeks and nose burned a little at the pool. Then yesterday at AX, I saw a nice Yuna (FFX, not X-2)... who was a deep shade of red all over her face, shoulders, and backside. It just looked painful. I'm not whining about my face anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess_of_Hell
Overall, it was a good episode and I enjoyed the Animate scene at the end. I LOLed when Konata decided not to purchase the DVD since she found out she didn't have enough yen.
Replace "DVD" with "manga", and you have no idea how often that happens to me (as probably most of us here). Usually I get distracted by something really shiny, leave to go buy it, then come back and find I don't have enough money for the item I'd had my eye on since the beginning. I think everyone who's geeky enough to attend anime cons relates to Kona, at least a little... and in this particular case, *everybody* has that happen at some point, even "normal" people with "lives".
Old 2007-07-03, 03:48   Link #98
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Can't wait til morning:
Spoiler for since fansub hasn't been released but fairly non-spoilerish:

The L*C and ED ending would be a wonderful endcap to the L*C sequences. They should stop right there. It was hilarious.

Last edited by Vexx; 2007-07-03 at 11:11.
Old 2007-07-03, 09:10   Link #99
Ottocycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
Questions...
  • Who the heck was the white dog? It even had a cameo in the actual episode.
  • Who voiced the guy that Kagami gave the valentine chocolates to?
  • Who were the other two people in the ED?
  • Am I the only one who immediately noticed the "Fumoffu!" BGM insertion in the scene where Konata sees Kagami running down the corridor (14:10-14:13)? Fumoffu! fans should know which BGM I am referring to (the one used when Chidori goes all tender with Sousuke, prime example being the bench scene during the amusement park episode).
Cheers.
I don't think I saw an answer to these...
1. Beats me.
2. Tachiki Fumihiko?
3. Random passerby couple volunteers(there was a note saying they agreed readily when asked to appear)
4. I know that Fumoffu BGM you're talking about...its only the first 3 notes that are identical though...whatever comes after that is completely original(to me at least). But of course I doubt Sahashi Toshihiko would allow his music to cameo though. Even if he did Kousaki Satoru won't.

And now my own question, I got the feeling the entire ED sequence, and the song lyrics were ad-libbed by Shiraishi himself. Anyone else felt that way?
Old 2007-07-03, 09:12   Link #100
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbug23 View Post
And now my own question, I got the feeling the entire ED sequence, and the song lyrics were ad-libbed by Shiraishi himself. Anyone else felt that way?
Since the credits clearly states that he had written the lyrics and music himself, you are more or less right.