AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2007-10-20, 12:50   Link #21
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman View Post
Small minority of Gundam fans... But actually there are a lot of casual or non-Gundam fans that like Wing most out of all the Gundam.
Compared to the popularity that is SEED & Destiny, I would say 'casual' Wing fans are lagging behind. And if I remember correctly, a lot of them were also female

- Tak
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-20, 13:06   Link #22
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Compared to the popularity that is SEED & Destiny, I would say 'casual' Wing fans are lagging behind. And if I remember correctly, a lot of them were also female

- Tak
Most Seed & Seed Destiny fans are also female (at least in Japan).

And I specifically referred to overseas anime fans... Wing has been the most mainstream out of the Gundams, and more people remember Wing more than they do Seed (fansub watchers are a different question).
Old 2007-10-20, 13:10   Link #23
SeedFreedom
Hina is my goddess
*Graphic Designer

was any other series besides seed and wing ever shown on TV in Canada/America? if not that might be the most logical assumption.
SeedFreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-20, 13:17   Link #24
Tak

Quote:
Most Seed & Seed Destiny fans are also female (at least in Japan).
Most? Highly doubt it. While a lot of fans were female, to say that they consist of the majority would be a wide stretch. The doujin market is a good indication of this. In contrast, WING doujin tailored towards males took a big step backwards compared to female dominated BL doujins.

Quote:
And I specifically referred to overseas anime fans... Wing has been the most mainstream out of the Gundams, and more people remember Wing more than they do Seed (fansub watchers are a different question).
The only difference is that Wing was the first to be broadcast on mainstream media in the UNITED STATES (if you count CN as mainstream anyway, and the US is but one receiver of Gundam media, we are not including oversea fandom in Korea and Taiwan, which are overwhelmingly SEED and their anime consumption is far greater than ours). But to say that most people remember wing than they do SEED? Well, once again, I would like to see some solid evidence of that (even in the case of the US). I shop around the world for hobby goods, and even those not located in Japan, SEED kits are most definitely prioritized over Wing by a significant margin. Of course, UC kits remain popular in many cases.

- Tak
Old 2007-10-20, 13:18   Link #25
Nvis
Where are the good animes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeedFreedom View Post
was any other series besides seed and wing ever shown on TV in Canada/America? if not that might be the most logical assumption.
G Gundam & Gundam X(I think)

Not sure if there were anymore(well there's also that chibi SD Gundam thing.....). :/

Last edited by Nvis; 2007-10-20 at 13:29.
Nvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-20, 13:37   Link #26
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvis View Post
G Gundam & Gundam X(I think)
Gundam X wasn't released in the west at all. There were actually quite a few Gundam shows shown on Cartoon Network (not sure about Canada) after Wing started the craze, including the original MSG, the OVAs (0080, 0083, 08th MS Team) & Char's Counterattack. G was shown and as was the first half of SD Gundam Force.

Other than that only Seed was shown, and was so unpopular with American CN audiences that it was moved to a midnight slot... Seed Destiny wasn't even shown (it was shown in Canada though)

So there's your evidence Tak... Wing, when it was aired, was so popular that it brought Gundam to prominence in the West. On the other hand, Seed faded into obscurity. People who don't download fansubs and don't import and aren't hardcore fans generally don't know anything about Seed, while they would know Wing if they were part of the Gundam craze back in the late 90's.
Old 2007-10-20, 14:06   Link #27
Tak

Quote:
People who don't download fansubs and don't import and aren't hardcore fans generally don't know anything about Seed, while they would know Wing if they were part of the Gundam craze back in the late 90's.
In your previous post, you stated:

Quote:
And I specifically referred to overseas anime fans... Wing has been the most mainstream out of the Gundams
The keyword here is 'overseas' It said nothing of the 'WEST' or more specifically, United States, as the term 'Overseas' is generally considered to be anywhere beyond Japanese territory. Besides, when CN first broadcast WING, not much 'anime' options were available to them then. Really, I find it difficult to point out to an anime that would receive general acceptance from US censors without some excessive editing. Fortunately for WING, it had little 'suggestive' situations and easily edited-out violence, thus earning it a popular spot with CN.

In contrast, GS was not so fortunate with the censor department. Besides, GS was moved to adult swim so that they could show them in their unedited glory.

On the other hand I simply reminded you of the fact that SEED had overwhelming popularity with oversea fans. A fact supported by market trends.

Moreover, do keep in mind, while the US had seen a growing reception towards anime, the US anime community is still in every way, shape and/or form, significantly smaller than many 'oversea' countries which had been stable markets for Japanese pop culture for decades.

- Tak
Old 2007-10-20, 14:59   Link #28
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
The keyword here is 'overseas' It said nothing of the 'WEST' or more specifically, United States, as the term 'Overseas' is generally considered to be anywhere beyond Japanese territory.
My wording was wrong. I was referring mainly to demographics that people in these forums would most closely identify with, that being the west (though I am fully aware that plenty of Asians lurk in here)

Quote:
On the other hand I simply reminded you of the fact that SEED had overwhelming popularity with oversea fans. A fact supported by market trends.
What market trends? Just because its got plenty of new toys in stores? That's not a market trend at all, because most Wing gunpla have been taken out of the market place.

I am specifically referring to having a lasting impression in fans.

Quote:
Moreover, do keep in mind, while the US had seen a growing reception towards anime, the US anime community is still in every way, shape and/or form, significantly smaller than many 'oversea' countries which had been stable markets for Japanese pop culture for decades.
I'm fully aware of that fact. I've lived in those "oversea countries" in various parts of my life and that's how I was exposed to Gundam in the first place. But read the first part of the post to understand what and why I am referring to the west.
Old 2007-10-20, 15:08   Link #29
atilim
Knightmare

Simple, most wing watchers don't watch anything else then Gundam Wing.

I once was posted on a dutch anime site and asked what is there favorite gundam show. And most of them where saying Gundam Wing, but the all admitted that non of them ever watch another Gundam show.
So they have never watched Turn A, or Zeta even they started to watch Seed a year after Destiny was done, because the site was posting them around that time.
atilim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-20, 15:10   Link #30
Tak

Quote:

What market trends? Just because its got plenty of new toys in stores? That's not a market trend at all, because most Wing gunpla have been taken out of the market place.

I am specifically referring to having a lasting impression in fans.
It is easy for me to access many, many UC gunpla as well as SEED & DESTINY gunpla. On the other hand, WING gunpla are becoming rarer and rarer (unless you special order). As far as lasting impression goes, again, that may or may not be true in the US (being the first Gundam), certainly a topic worthy of discussion. Yet for many oversea fans, WING was just another worthy addition in the long line that is alternate-universe Gundam. Having been around in East-Asia when WING and SEED were in their prime (yes, I am old), I can tell you from personal experience that, while Wing's popularity was undeniable, SEED & DESTINY's popularity was just overwhelming. After all, SEED was the first to spawn a direct sequel, off-shoots, OVAs, mini-series, specials, and my-goddess, Kira plush dolls!

Come on now, Kira was just more lovable than Heero in many ways.

- Tak
Old 2007-10-20, 15:37   Link #31
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
It is easy for me to access many, many UC gunpla as well as SEED & DESTINY gunpla. On the other hand, WING gunpla are becoming rarer and rarer (unless you special order). As far as lasting impression goes, again, that may or may not be true in the US (being the first Gundam), certainly a topic worthy of discussion.
That's the topic I'm having. Like I said, I didn't mean to bring East Asia into this. I'm speaking strictly from the perspective of the west.

Quote:
Yet for many oversea fans, WING was just another worthy addition in the long line that is alternate-universe Gundam. Having been around in East-Asia when WING and SEED were in their prime (yes, I am old), I can tell you from personal experience that, while Wing's popularity was undeniable, SEED & DESTINY's popularity was just overwhelming. After all, SEED was the first to spawn a direct sequel, off-shoots, OVAs, mini-series, specials, and my-goddess, Kira plush dolls!
Its no question at all. I'm one of the guys in here that have been talking about the success that Seed brings into the franchise. But in terms of the west, this isn't true at all. In fact, Seed more or less killed the franchise in terms of merchandising.
Old 2007-10-20, 17:43   Link #32
Kazamachi Shogen
甲賀卍谷衆

Not suprised that SEED lovers love Wing, very suprised that someone said destiny is better than wing.
Old 2007-10-20, 17:49   Link #33
Gundam Zero Force

While I saw a lot of the UC Series before the Gundam Wing series, The Gundam Wing Endless Waltz Movie was the first Gundam show I saw.

Yeah I did it backwards, I saw Heero and Relena at thier best in the EW Movie and then saw the Gundam Series (all 49 episodes) like 3 years later. . . .. That may be one of the main reasons I like Gundam Wing b/c I knew the ending almost lol. But I also like the design of the Gundams too.
Gundam Zero Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-20, 18:13   Link #34
Depresionist

Send a message via MSN to Depresionist
For most of us it was our gateway Gundam. I remember when I first saw it on YTV (and not being introduced to Gundam or anime in general yet) and thought it was the most awesome thing to happen. Plus Wing grunts are love, as well as Tallgeese.

Only thing to dislike is LOL PLOT ARMOR, Gundam Sentai, Relena, Eyebrows, etc. Inb4 Relena supporters.
Old 2007-10-20, 22:33   Link #35
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

There's one thing I do give Relena credit for, and that's having balls. Seriously, she's chasing around Heero and her brother across the planet and space, trying to hold up a kingdom, etc. etc. etc...

Yes, she fails hard usually, but when you're dealing with people like Treize and Zechs without your own personal starship (ala Archangel or Eternal), things get tough.

That said, Epyon vs. Wing Zero was just a flat out amazing duel.
Old 2007-10-21, 02:47   Link #36
Papaya
Sup

Send a message via AIM to Papaya Send a message via MSN to Papaya
The English dub wasn't half bad either, I think, as far as English dubs go back in the day.

Most of the characters suffered from staccato delivery though.

But yeah, it was my gateway Gundam too--rather, my gateway anime. You really have to watch it over again after watching the UC's (or even SEED) to really realize how bland it actually is though =P
Papaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-21, 04:27   Link #37
SonicX_Zero
Kill Kira

I liked Gundam Wing because of the pretty boys although I think 00 tops them now.
Spoiler:
SonicX_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-21, 05:55   Link #38
RavenHawk
Tsundere Killer

Send a message via MSN to RavenHawk Send a message via Yahoo to RavenHawk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demongod86 View Post
There's one thing I do give Relena credit for, and that's having balls. Seriously, she's chasing around Heero and her brother across the planet and space, trying to hold up a kingdom, etc. etc. etc...

Yes, she fails hard usually, but when you're dealing with people like Treize and Zechs without your own personal starship (ala Archangel or Eternal), things get tough.
Damn straight! I gotta hand it to Relena, she can hold up on her own.

Well Gundam Wing was my first Gundam experience. But not the reason why I like Wing. I like it because the characters have really cool personalities, especially my favorite, Duo Maxwell. Another is because of the Gundams themselves, I mean they're so well made, heck I was moved to buying Heavyarms and Altron models myself. Lastly, the songs, I still love "Rhythm Emotion" today.

I guess Wing is one of the best Gundam series ever made; so good, I'll watch it again anytime I want. I've watched other Gundam series (UC, G and SEED), but Wing tops them all.

Here's my Top 3 best Gundam series:

3. Mobile Suit Gundam - I love it too!
2. Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam - I love it, especially... KAMILLE!
1. New Mobile Report Gundam Wing - no I'm not being biased!
RavenHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-21, 09:44   Link #39
Empire
Independent MS pilot

Apparently, I don't know ANYONE who likes Wing (from people I have personal contact with).
And while I can understand that someone prefers UC to CE/other AU's (I'm CE fan myself, enjoyed Gundam X also, but hey, CCA was great piece of job too!), I'm continually failing to understand what people see in wing.
- flat characters
- plot holes bigger than in swiss cheese
- nothing revolutional or even interesting in mecha design
- or should i say nothing revolutional or even interesting at all, genericness everywhere?
- one of the worst romantic storylines I've ever seen

Wing was my first gundam too... and I'm happy that SEED changed my view about Gundams, else I wouldn't bother with any Gundam series anymore.
Empire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-21, 11:19   Link #40
The Chaos
ǾΝΈ ΡЇΈÇΈ is the Best !!

Why does everyone like Gundam Wing?
the one who ask the question is he alright or something or
he didn't watch the series
this show is great and awesome
The Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote