AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2020-07-14, 14:09   Link #3721
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I started watching the ESPN documentary on Koshien that I had recorded a few weeks back. Early on they show a kid shaving his head before going off to his first year in high school where he planned to play baseball. The documentary suggested that head-shaving was a standard practice among high-school baseball players. I found this surprising since it never came up in any baseball anime I've watched. You'd think if it was that common Adachi Mitsuru would have included it in one of his baseball stories.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-14, 17:08   Link #3722
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I started watching the ESPN documentary on Koshien that I had recorded a few weeks back. Early on they show a kid shaving his head before going off to his first year in high school where he planned to play baseball. The documentary suggested that head-shaving was a standard practice among high-school baseball players. I found this surprising since it never came up in any baseball anime I've watched. You'd think if it was that common Adachi Mitsuru would have included it in one of his baseball stories.
I've seen it come up directly in Battery and I've also noticed buzz cuts indirectly from other anime that had baseball characters (such as Daiki and his baseball club in Anthem of the Heart) but I usually only see it on mob/background characters.

Probably wouldn't have been a good idea for Adachi to be giving his characters buzz cuts, when all his characters are barely distinguishable from each other as is.

Last edited by Haak; 2020-07-14 at 17:19.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-14, 18:39   Link #3723
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I couldn't get into Battery, but it's good to know that buzzcuts come up in other baseball stories. I think I could still tell the difference between Kou and Azuma in Cross Game had they both had such haircuts, but maybe not between Kou and Aoba
Old 2020-08-06, 07:11   Link #3724
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Thomas Romain on the cost of living in Tokyo

https://twitter.com/Thomasintokyo/st...686986757?s=19
Old 2020-08-09, 07:36   Link #3725
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

How Nestle Got Japan "Hooked" on Nescafe

They used another of their products, KitKat candy bars, to instill a taste for coffee among youngsters. Decades later it is paying off.

https://thetakeout.com/how-nestle-br...an-1844605973/

As someone who grinds his own beans every morning, I find instant coffees like Nescafe pretty disgusting.
Old 2020-08-14, 09:47   Link #3726
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

https://www.timeout.com/tokyo/news/j...-museum-081420

"The Shin-Yokohama Ramen Museum celebrates the history of the humble noodle from its beginnings in the Chinatowns of Nagasaki and Yokohama in the 19th century to the worldwide popularity of ramen today. Now, the museum is bringing back Japan’s first dedicated ramen restaurant, Rairaiken (pictured above), which was founded in 1910 in Tokyo’s Asakusa district. "
Old 2020-08-16, 14:21   Link #3727
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

The "Giant Military Cats" twitter feed usually includes cats photoshopped with contemporary military hardware. Apparently this tradition goes back at least to the Russo-Japanese War.

https://twitter.com/giantcat9/status...511880/photo/1

I couldn't tell at first which side the cavalry was on. Turns out that contemporary print-makers depicted the soldiers on both sides similarly.

https://visualizingcultures.mit.edu/...a_essay02.html
Old 2020-08-21, 09:50   Link #3728
AnimeFan188

A hole new world: Japan city lights up sewer covers:

"The humble manhole cover might not seem like much of a blank canvas, but one
Japanese city is reimagining the possibilities with illuminated versions featuring
anime characters.

Tokorozawa, near Tokyo, is hoping the unusual additions will attract visitors,
including enthusiasts of the painted decorated manhole covers that adorn some of
Japan's streets.

"They're Japan's first illuminated manhole covers," city official Junichi Koike told
AFP."

See:

https://www.france24.com/en/20200821...p-sewer-covers

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by AnimeFan188; 2020-08-31 at 22:28.
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-21, 12:34   Link #3729
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Too bad the article doesn't show us some of the other 27.

For big images like that, AS has a custom tag [images][/images] that lets the reader choose whether to download and display the image. You wrap them around the usual [img][/img] tags that contain the URL of the image.

Images
Old 2020-08-21, 15:48   Link #3730
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Even in the street, Ha ru hi.
Old 2020-09-12, 18:21   Link #3731
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Naomi Osaka played some of the worst tennis I've seen from her while losing the first set at today's US Open Final 1-6. Then something clicked in the second set and she went to take the next two sets 6-3, 6-3. First winner since 1994 to lose the first set but win the championship match. Props to Victoria Asarenka as well, who played much better than you might expect from someone not seeded.
Old 2020-09-12, 23:49   Link #3732
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Azarenka was unseeded, but she's also a former world #1 with 2 grand slam titles. The moment was not going to be too big for her, which makes a difference.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-13, 07:50   Link #3733
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I should have mentioned that. Thanks.
Old 2020-09-13, 09:02   Link #3734
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Interesting reaction here to Osaka's win. The right wing is absolutely savaging her over her support of BLM, which they're basically equating to a riot from a Planet of the Apes movie. The mainstream press is desperately trying not to mention it at all and she's making it as difficult as possible for them not to.
Old 2020-09-13, 16:27   Link #3735
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Meanwhile at the Japan Times,

"Naomi Osaka’s victory in the U.S. Open was hailed Sunday by media and officials in Japan who broadly welcomed her campaigning for victims of racial injustice and against police brutality."

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/...-hailed-japan/

On the other hand,

A report in Mainichi on Friday cited unnamed sources at one of her sponsors as criticizing her BLM stance.

“I don’t think she needed to do that while she’s fighting her way to the top. If possible, we’d like her to attract more attention with her tennis skills,” said a source, according to the daily.

With her win in New York, Osaka cannot be accused of letting her activism become a distraction and going by the comments of those in Tokyo on Sunday, the sponsor may have misjudged public sentiment.

“Including myself, I think there are many people who are not interested in a topic like racism,” said office worker Masateru Tanimoto.

“But (Osaka) has created an opportunity to open the topic… Although people may agree or disagree, I think it is a good thing that the issue has become a topic of discussion.”

Even Fox News couldn't bring themselves to say much negative about Osaka's performance, but a few of the commentators did.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/naomi...a-2020-us-open

Then there's this: https://twitter.com/HirokoTabuchi/st...41074089234432
Old 2020-09-13, 17:35   Link #3736
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Hold the mayo.
Old 2020-11-16, 08:22   Link #3737
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Well-known illustrator Thomas Romain tweeted a link to this story about why joshiryuku, or "girl power," has little to do with Western notions of feminism.

https://kokoro-jp.com/columns/1620/
Old 2020-12-02, 03:38   Link #3738
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

A reminder that racism is deeply ingrained in the Japanese psyche, and won't go away so easily.

YouTube

Quote:
Tokyo (Dec 2, 2020): A video ad from Nike Japan against bullying and racism that features biracial athletes and other minorities, such as those of Korean descent, has prompted a sharp online response including calls to boycott the company.

The commercial, "Keep Moving: Yourself, the Future", was released on Monday (Nov 30). It shows several teen girls bullied in school over their race or other differences, but who ultimately find confidence through soccer prowess.

The video, viewed 14.1 million times on Nike Japan's Twitter feed by noon on Wednesday (Dec 2), had racked up 63,000 likes but also a cascade of critical comments from many who vowed never to buy Nike products again.

"Nowadays, you often see one or two people of different nationalities going to school perfectly peacefully. The one that’s prejudiced is Nike," wrote one user named "hira1216".

Another asked, "Is it so much fun to blame Japan?"

Japan has traditionally prided itself on being racially homogeneous, although successful mixed-race athletes such as tennis star Naomi Osaka are challenging that image.

REUTERS
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-02, 08:41   Link #3739
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

From my post about Naomi Osaka above.

"Including myself, I think there are many people who are not interested in a topic like racism,” said office worker Masateru Tanimoto.
Old 2020-12-02, 10:36   Link #3740
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

It's sad but, at the same time, it's worth remembering that "racism" as a concept is almost alien to an ethnically and culturally homogeneous society like Japan's. Mainland Chinese, for that matter, aren't that much better — and worse, we're talking about potential genocide in Xinjiang, and clear-cut cultural and economic assimilation in Tibet.

Different situations, but similar root causes: Like the Japanese in Japan, the mainland Chinese have virtually zero historical experience with multi-ethnic society within the geographical boundaries of the "Middle Kingdom". As far as the Japanese and Chinese are concerned, people of different races were historical enemies and invaders, in other words, people that you're not meant to trust.

Actually, the interesting question to me is where the racism ends, and the xenophobia begins. In Western Europe, I suspect it's indistinguishable. Racism and xenophobia are effectively the same thing, in Britain at the very least, if nowhere else. I still recall how confused my British friends were when I explained that I identity as both Singaporean and Chinese. To them, I am either Singaporean or Chinese; I can't be both, because to the British, to be Chinese is to be someone from China.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
culture, discussion, japan, japanese culture