AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2011-12-01, 15:18   Link #1881
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Princess Aiko turns 10 this month:
http://newsonjapan.com/html/newsdesk/article/93424.php
I hope she's able to force more change for royal women when she grows up for her mother's sake. The bureaucracy that controls the royalty is going to be the demise of the royalty if they don't evolve.
It already evolved, with Princess Mako and Kako. It's really the problem of being the Crown Princess than being a member of the Imperial Family.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-01, 23:56   Link #1882
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
The bureaucracy that controls the royalty is going to be the demise of the royalty if they don't evolve.
Just curious, I'm innocent about this but, what changes do you mean? that needs to evolve?

...and another question. Can a Japanese princess marry a foreigner? What if she's the sole child of Emperor? Can she or her husband reign?
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-02, 00:54   Link #1883
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by genjichan View Post
Just curious, I'm innocent about this but, what changes do you mean? that needs to evolve?

...and another question. Can a Japanese princess marry a foreigner? What if she's the sole child of Emperor? Can she or her husband reign?
Well.. for one, her mother isn't "mentally ill" so much as they've put a very smart, well-educated woman in a box until she was in despair. The royals are tightly restricted - they are almost prisoners of the household administration.

But the main thing is that the government was about to change a "modern" law that only sons may ascend so that the Princess could become Empress (she was the only heir at the time). The birth of the Prince allowed them to table that idea, even though there is precedent in Japan's history for an Empress.

And no, marrying a foreigner would be a cultural disaster.... typically, one chooses from another family descended from the Shogunates and aristocracy. My understanding is that however the Royal family ascendance and inheritance (assets and $$$$) is how the aristocratic family clans handle it.... men may have the power but women are the line through which assets/wealth flows.
Old 2011-12-02, 04:48   Link #1884
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Technically yes, but politically suicidal. And no, under strict agnatic primogeniture used since the Meiji era, the line of successions goes like this: Crown Prince Naruhito (Age 51) → Prince Akishino (Age 46) → Prince Hisahito (Age 5) → Prince Hitachi (Age 76) → Prince Mikasa (Age 76) → Prince Tomohito (Age 65) → Prince Katsura (Age 63)

Quote:
typically, one chooses from another family descended from the Shogunates and aristocracy.
Not exactly current conventions.

Quote:
My understanding is that however the Royal family ascendance and inheritance (assets and $$$$) is how the aristocratic family clans handle it.... men may have the power but women are the line through which assets/wealth flows.
Come again?

Also, I think I can answer pretty much any questions concerning my relatives' public information, so ask away.
Old 2011-12-02, 06:54   Link #1885
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

I wonder how the British and Japanese Monarchy compare...

My perception is that the British Monarchy currently the most well known (if not most popular) monarchy in the world. The only other European monarchies left are of fairly small countries, that or they were only reinstated recently (Spain).

It would be interesting if a Japanese Royal married a European Royal.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-02, 08:00   Link #1886
Fahd
* >/dev/null

I think currently if a female member of the Japanese royal family marries they essentially exit their royal family? Wouldn't that in theory give them license to marry whoever they want, since politically it wouldn't make any difference to the direction of the monarchy? I guess it might not go down well with the family, but if you're going to be leaving anyway why would you care...

The other question I had was how much influence the emperor has over the Imperial Household Agency? If the crown princess is not getting along with them, surely the crown prince would need only talk to his dad to get them to quit bothering her?
Fahd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-02, 09:01   Link #1887
Tri-ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
I wonder how the British and Japanese Monarchy compare...
The biggest difference is the amount of inheritance, I believe the queen of England, Queen Elizabeth is still listed amongst the 20 top most richest in the world whilst most of the Japan's emperor household possession is listed as state owned and has very little personal possession.
If the Japanese Government were to abolish the Monarchy system the next day, the Emperor family will probably find themselves on the street lining up for the soup line.
As for the female linage the husband will probably be given the title of baron and their male offspring will be counted as heir to the throne and will be consider if the direct linage is broken.
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-02, 09:41   Link #1888
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-ring View Post
The biggest difference is the amount of inheritance, I believe the queen of England, Queen Elizabeth is still listed amongst the 20 top most richest in the world whilst most of the Japan's emperor household possession is listed as state owned and has very little personal possession.
If the Japanese Government were to abolish the Monarchy system the next day, the Emperor family will probably find themselves on the street lining up for the soup line.
As for the female linage the husband will probably be given the title of baron and their male offspring will be counted as heir to the throne and will be consider if the direct linage is broken.
The british monarchy is fairly similiar, most crown property is controlled by the state, or a state body like The Crown Estate, which owns all their lands and palaces including buckingham etc.

The vast majority of the Royal Family's expenses are funded directly by the state, though it's a very large quantity of money. Most of the cost is security...
Old 2011-12-02, 11:22   Link #1889
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:

And no, marrying a foreigner would be a cultural disaste
If she can't help it, can she abdicate or past the throne to a close family member? Her uncle? or her uncle's son?
Old 2011-12-02, 14:14   Link #1890
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahd View Post
I think currently if a female member of the Japanese royal family marries they essentially exit their royal family? Wouldn't that in theory give them license to marry whoever they want, since politically it wouldn't make any difference to the direction of the monarchy? I guess it might not go down well with the family, but if you're going to be leaving anyway why would you care...
Pretty much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahd View Post
The other question I had was how much influence the emperor has over the Imperial Household Agency? If the crown princess is not getting along with them, surely the crown prince would need only talk to his dad to get them to quit bothering her?
Next to none when it comes to preserving the security and dignity of the Imperial Family (that is, personal affairs).

Quote:
Well, actually..... let's just say that non-listed assets would make the Imperial Family as rich as, if not richer, than the British Royal Family. Total assets equaled about $4 billion in today's terms back in 1948.

Quote:
No, no title is given, and the princess is just completely out of the family. Most likely one of the former cadet branches will be designated the new Imperial Family.

Quote:
If she can't help it, can she abdicate or past the throne to a close family member? Her uncle? or her uncle's son?
Impossible scenario (concerning abdication), as I wrote a few posts above.

Not sure why, but why are people thinking that the succession law has been changed or something? No female member of the Imperial Family cannot be the Tenno until the law is changed.
Old 2011-12-02, 20:07   Link #1891
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
Not sure why, but why are people thinking that the succession law has been changed or something? No female member of the Imperial Family can--- be the Tenno until the law is changed.
The Japanese government was in the deliberation of changing the law when the Crown Prince was born - after his birth they froze further work on it. So yes, currently no female can ascend (though there is precedent in Japan's history and Shinto priests have been and are female on occasion). Its appears to be a matter of intransigence.
Old 2011-12-02, 20:18   Link #1892
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
The Japanese government was in the deliberation of changing the law when the Crown Prince was born - after his birth they froze further work on it.
1. No "Crown Prince" was born. He's just a prince....

2. The proposal was dropped by Abe Shinzo back on January 3, 2007, and as such there is no "further work" or anything of the sort: Until something happens to Prince Hisahito, it is highly unlikely we'll be having any official discussion on changing the succession laws, never mind that the sentiment among the people is pretty much dead right now.
Old 2011-12-03, 10:16   Link #1893
NaweG
Just some guy

Quote:
Come again?

Also, I think I can answer pretty much any questions concerning my relatives' public information, so ask away.
While I feel I've been tricked into stepping onto an IED... do I read that sentence correctly to imply you are related in some fashion to the Japanese dynasty? Or were you saying something else?
Old 2011-12-03, 11:17   Link #1894
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaweG View Post
While I feel I've been tricked into stepping onto an IED... do I read that sentence correctly to imply you are related in some fashion to the Japanese dynasty? Or were you saying something else?
Eighth cousin to Crown Prince Naruhito and Prince Prince Akishino. Met them personally for about 15 minutes or so. I also spent some time with Mako and Kako, because of Gakushuin-related stuff.

"Sumeragi" should tip people off
Old 2011-12-05, 00:54   Link #1895
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Eighth cousin to Crown Prince Naruhito and Prince Prince Akishino.
Kinda personal, are you married or planning to get involve in the Imperial stuffs?
No offence... Peace!
Old 2011-12-05, 07:07   Link #1896
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Kinda personal, are you married or planning to get involve in the Imperial stuffs?
No offence... Peace!
Engaged to a second cousin, who's the next patriarch of a Korean family with over 100,000 members.
Old 2011-12-05, 08:35   Link #1897
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Engaged to a second cousin, who's the next patriarch of a Korean family with over 100,000 members.
Ah...uhmmm...ok, I...uhmm....guess there are still many royaltist out there...
Old 2011-12-05, 13:07   Link #1898
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Aren't you a Yandere Lesbian Fujoshi? How does that work...

Eh, we all have connections, my dad went to university with and was a good friend of the current president of Ireland, and my mother is quite well acquainted with our Deputy Prime Minister.
Old 2011-12-06, 13:44   Link #1899
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

So any social movement that is happening in Japan right now? My professor that went to Japan recently seem to indicate she is seeing some kind of change in Japan right now. But haven't really heard any news about this even after searching it. Even Japanese, who usually don't make the politician accountable, must be disgusted what the politicians have done and are doing right now.
Old 2011-12-06, 16:53   Link #1900
Sumeragi
Banned

What kind of social movement?

Tags
culture, discussion, japan, japanese culture