Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-01-29, 18:33   Link #1
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

Looking for anime with a VERY cool protagonist

Now open to other genres: i'm looking for an anime with a really REALLY cool protagonist. The coolness can come from many sides. Protagonists or characters that i REALLY found cool are:

Okabe Rintaro (Steins;Gate): The emblem of coolness, awesome character under many points of views, from his sarcasm and jokes on everyone, to his other side when he realizes what he did and tries hard to save his dears.
Kyon (Haruhi suzumiya no Yutsu): Best narrator ever, very rational, logical and cynical mind, with lots of sarcasm. One of the FEW characters out there that actually think and have consciousness. Loved him in the disappearance.
Gilgamesh (Fate/zero): When i first saw the appearance of this guy i was amazed: goldy, noble, STRONG, cool, charismatic and pretty much superior to others. He wasn't the protagonist, but i really liked him.
Hiei (Yu yu Hakusho): kickass demon, third eye, dark fire attacks, dark background, badguy (even tho he later becomes "good"). He's cool.
Raizen (Yu yu Hakusho): only noticeable in some episode of the 2nd season, for few frames. I still found him just too cool: demon, too strong, cool hairs, bad.

Other characters that i do not see under such shining light, but that i still consider very good:
Kinji Tooyama (Hidan no Aria): Cool boy, some kickass agent with an hidden power. I loved the romance between him and Aria.
Mitsuomi Takayanagi (Tenjou Tenge): Cold during the first half of the anime, i hated him very much. Then i got to know his story, and just loved him. Strong, cold, yet right.

This is a VERY STRICT list. There are maaaany characters i liked very much, but just to give you the idea of how much they have to be cool i preferred to only list those.

-What i do not like:
Mecha (I just can't bear anything related to robots or battle suits or anything like that)
Feudal japan & samurai (I find that stuff a "bit" old and boring for my tastes)
Sports (I just don't like them, especially in animes lol)

-How the protagonist has to be (i can accept two kind of cool protagonists)
1° type: The protagonist has to be a male, has to be strong, cold, heartless and merciless, cynical and not caring for others. Above it all, he has to be just too much strong. Better if he causes fear with even his own presence. He should also have some style as a character in general.
2° type: The protagonist has to be a guy, that is rational, logical, a bit cynical and sarcastic, a bit emotionless and that doesn't panic even in front of dreadful things. Very calm, SMART, but not some kind of jerk genius. A welcomed option is also being a bit weird and wicked, or pretending to be a weirdo, like okabe.

You can even suggest titles that have a mix of those characteristics, especially in action animes where strenght and the comic side are mixed. Once again, he has to be male.

To be honest, i don't know what i'm exactly looking for, so i'll leave it open to many possibilities; post what you have to suggest, and i'll eventually add new requirements and restrictions.

Ah right, i've already seen famous titles like Hokuto no Ken, Dragonball, Naruto and one piece. Didn't mind to check out on Bleach because it is infinite. Here you can find the list of anime i watched: http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=107800 with a fast description of what i like and don't.

I heard that i might find something like this in Soul eater, but i want to be sure first.

Thank you for your attention.

EDIT: added some details

Last edited by Classified Info; 2012-01-29 at 22:48.
Old 2012-01-29, 19:00   Link #2
Elegance

Major has a good one. my favorite sports anime. The protag name is Goro. The first season is when he is a kid and second season is when he grows up. There are 6 seasons in total. It is about a person name Goro that had a father that played proffessional baseball so he became a finatic. Goro is the never give up and full of energy, quite cool in my opinion.

Katanagatari- he is a unique protag. He is a samurai that is unarmed. Very straight foward and he is a great fighter. Also the ending is one of the best i've seen.

Sword Of The Stranger(Movie)- The main guy is a nameless samurai. He is the type of guy who is calm and cool though he has a dark past. He must protect a boy that is being persued.

Cowboy Bebop-action
Samurai Champloo-action
Mushishi
Darker Than Black-action
Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~-action

Also i'd like to add Monster since u liked Steins;Gate

Katanagatari, Sword of the stranger, Darker than black, and phantom are a good bet. Calm Cool and collected yet unbeatable. Katanagatari ending will satisfy very much from your description.

Last edited by Elegance; 2012-01-29 at 19:17.
Old 2012-01-29, 19:00   Link #3
HarimaHario
i eat glue

My turn to contribute ^.^

Skimmed through your other list. I'd say we have somewhat of a same anime taste.

Some titles that come to mind: (all these are action/fighting anime)

Kaze no Stigma - Kazuma
Berserk - Guts
Basilisk - more than one
Trigun - Vash
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann - Kamiya
Needless - Blade
Hellsing Ultimate - Alucard
Star Driver - Takuto
Samurai Deeper Kyo - Kyo
Claymore - Teresa

Let me know if you want more descriptions or my thoughts for each.
Old 2012-01-29, 19:05   Link #4
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

Oh right, forgot to say that i don't like sports animes, i find them pretty boring, so i would avoid those.

Alreacy checked berserk, forgot to mention, while i didn't watch those other titles. I just now come to know who Vash is and from which anime he comes from, so Trigun is most likely the next anime i'm going to watch. Same goes for hellsing.

Currently under exam period, but i'll make sure to check em all. Thank you for the suggestions.
Old 2012-01-29, 19:17   Link #5
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classified Info View Post
Fortunately, i do admit another kind of cool character: rational, humorous, cool. Just a normal guy but with a good mind; a protagonist that can think, is rational and logical and can make you laugh. A protagonist that is a bit cynical and objective, but that can show another side of himself (Examples: Okabe, Kyon
I'm going to make an offbeat suggestion that fits this description, and that's Tamaya Seikichi of Oh! Edo Rocket! Seikichi wants to do nothing more than make fireworks for his own and others' enjoyment, but the Shogunate has passed a law banning such "frivolous" entertainments. He soldiers on, shooting off the occasional rocket from time to time, but he gets a sudden new burst of inspiration when a lovely but strange young woman asks him to build her a rocket to the moon.
Old 2012-01-29, 19:56   Link #6
Redoaxe
ツンデレ。。。?

I second Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, Star Driver, Katanagatari and Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom

and add:
Code Geass - Lelouch
Kara no Kyoukai - Shiki
Black Lagoon - Revy
Old 2012-01-29, 22:36   Link #7
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

Ok, after having browsed all those titles, here i go:

Titles i will 100% watch
Kara no Kyoukai (Had already decided to watch it in the other topic)
Darker Than Black (That masked assassin surely picked up my attention)
Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~ (Plot seems very interesting)
Hellsing (Alucard looks cool, i will definitely try it)
Trigun (When i was younger i remember i was looking for the anime where Vash was, but didn't ever bother googling it. Now i finally have the chance to watch it, so thank you for digging this title from my brain)
Needless (Blade just looks kickass, and the anime is even ecchi, but don't tell me that the protagonist is that shit Cruz)
Kaze no Stigma (While i was looking for romances i had noticed this title near Shana, but never picked up. Now that i'm specifically looking for this kind of anime, it just suits perfectly)

Titles that might be given a try:
Gurren Lagann (I don't like mecha, and the protagonist doesn't look so cool)

Titles that won't be given a try:
Anything related to feudal japan and samurai stuff.

Ok i'll start adding restrictions, since you now reminded me what i do not like. Thank you for the tips so far.

Ah, one more thing: the protagonist has to be male. I'll edit the first post

Last edited by Classified Info; 2012-01-29 at 22:51.
Old 2012-01-30, 01:08   Link #8
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

I don't remember how much of The World God Only Knows that you're seen, but Keima is a very cool protagonist. He's manipulative like Lelouch or Light, he is as funny as Kyon(and you should know that I love Kyon), and he has a cool catchphrase "I can see the ending".

Keima is one of the best male protagonists ever IMHO so yeah.

EDIT: I didn't see that you saw Fist of the North Star. I love Kenshiro's GARness so I recommended that too.

Captain Harlock from the 70's anime Space Pirate Captain Harlock is a cool male protagonist too.
Old 2012-01-30, 05:11   Link #9
judasmartel
*Author

Not to mention it seems you can apply your eroge knowledge to picking up girls in real life thanks to TWGOK.
Old 2012-01-30, 05:28   Link #10
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

You should look at Hugh from Mystic Archives of Dantalian. He's just cool, but can be idiot at times, however he kicks the ass a lot in (almost) every single episodes.

Leicester of Blessing of Campanella is one of few "cool" harem protagonists. He doesn't worry about the girls, but he can be shy when Minette is concerned about him.

Sasha of Qwaser of Stigmata is very cool because of his appearance, however you didn't look into the series because of breastmilk concept (you have only watched the censored version). His coolness concerns the fact that he bicker the girls very well, but like Hugh, he can be idiot and perverted at times. His action techniques are good too.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
Old 2012-01-30, 05:47   Link #11
Darkbeat
'אין ייאוש בעולם כלל

Buso Renkin has a few. The main female protag Tokiko is extremely cool (and brutal), believe it or not. Also another main character, Captain Bravo is the epitome of manliness and badassery. He features quite heavily after the first arc and is in leagues with Gurren Lagann's Kamina for GAR.

Another suggestion is Kazuma the protag from S-CRY-Ed, fairly standard shounen/action fighting badass sort. Not much of a personality, but doesn't really need it.

I'll second Kaze no Stigma (which I recommended to you in your other thread). Watch it, you'll enjoy it.

Last edited by Darkbeat; 2012-01-30 at 16:44.
Old 2012-01-30, 06:20   Link #12
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Senki Zessho Symphogear features a female protagonist Hibiki, who, despite being a typical shounen nekketsu (an action/adventure subgenre of shounen) badass girl, has cool/moegar personnality with energic subtility. This also happens for Kanade.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
Old 2012-01-30, 16:20   Link #13
kitten320

Won't mention those that you already decided to watch, so let's see... it has to be main hero or it can be a friend of main too?

Rin from Ao No Exorcist was pretty cool, he doesn't take shit from anyone and is actually strong. Though he is not the brightest one. Also quiet funny.

Baccano is full of great characters, there is no specific lead since all characters are important. You will find there almost any type of character.

Tomoya from Clannad was a cool one, always full with sarcastic remarks and always ready to help. But series need time for a build up.

D.Gray Man had a lot of cool characters such as Kanda or Tyki. Though Allen, the actual main can't be called that cool. But he is strong, funny and great card cheater

Light and L from Death Note are some of the coolest and smartest characters out there.

Durarara, Izaya is a smart villain who is sarcastic and loves to play with others lives. Shizuo is a walking killing machine which can crash anyone.

Almost every character in FMA was memorable and cool in its own way.

Onizuka from GTO is one of the uniquest and coolest characters out there despite being a perv.

Seshoumaru from Inuyasha almost never hesitates to strike someone down.

Keima from Kami Nomi Zoshirou is awesome.

Johan from Monster never hesitates and always executes his evil plans.

Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin has a lot of memorable characters, Mario and Sakuragi are worth the attention.

I guess Soul from Soul Eater does work.

Hope this helps.
Old 2012-01-30, 16:37   Link #14
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

The problem has always been with the fact that most of the cool/kickass characters weren't the protagonist. Just of the ones i listed, 4/7 aren't even the protagonist.

Also, i would really like if the anime was in first person, meaning that you always and only follow up the protagonist, and can hear his thoughts (While you can't hear other thoughts, or know what the others are doing when not next to you), just like okabe and kyon.

So, i would like to know, out of all those titles, which cool characters are actually the protagonist. Thank you again for your attention
Old 2012-01-30, 18:36   Link #15
kitten320

That's quiet hard since usually stories never evolve just around one character, you always get background on others.

Well Rin in Ao No Exorcist is THE MAIN character so show definitively follows him for the biggest part.

As I said in Baccano there are bunch of main characters and the way story is told, you see same pieces of events from different POVs in different episodes and times.

Tomoya is the lead in Clannad and we don't really know what others are thinking unless it is shown or told themselves.

You always see what Light and L think because they are targeting each other in Death Note.

FMA has Edward who in my opinion is the best main character created so far. I personally hate almost every protagonist because they are predictable and boring. But I really liked Ed.

In GTO we don't really know what is students problem unless Onizuka witnesses it himself or is told by someone. We do get to see others characters and their lives but mostly series follow Onizuka and his antics. He is always present in main events.

Keima is the hero in Kami nomi zoshirou and series don''t show much of anyone else.

Johan in Monster is the main villain who is always in shadows. The main character is doctor Tenma who is trying to stop him and occasionally bumps onto Johan's bad deeds. Johan is very manipulative and it is hard to tell what he thinks sometimes.

In Rainbow every character gets a small arc but for the first 10 or so episodes Sakuragi was of main importance.

Hope that helps.
Old 2012-01-30, 19:25   Link #16
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Counting your 100%-will-watch list out and considering your request of cool main protags, your best bet from all those titles would be:
Death Note: cool main protag and cool main antag.
Cowboy Bebop: cool protagonist and cool main villain. Still, the anime itself will feel very much episodic at first.
Gurren Lagann: there's a very cool protag there if you can stand the mecha element.
FMA & FMA: Brotherhood: although the two main protags are not exactly the 'cold-type' that you're looking for, you can say that they're cool & badass in their own way.
s-CRY-ed and Busou Renkin suggested by Darkbeat are good too.
Code Geass: again, if you can stand the mecha element (since mecha is not the focus of this anime) and other over-the-top element here, Lelouch may be good for you.
Monster & Rainbow: you can try them if you like these kind of stories
Ao no Exorcist also has decent main protag
Soul Eater: Soul is a funky main protag, you might like him if you can tolerate the high-stylized nature of this show.
Fist of the North Star: badass main protag. If you don't like the old series, there's the new version.

My own addition (I'll just limit it to 2 title first since you already has a lot):
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas: there's a lot of badass character in this 2-season anime (both protags and antags) that become the focus of their own story.

Note: I want to recommend Berserk but the anime series is from 1997-1998 and the new movie series isn't out yet. Still, you can look forward to it. The first movie will be released in February. The main character is a badass.
Old 2012-01-31, 03:36   Link #17
FlavorOfLife
Uncaring

Thirding Cowboy Bebop. The series has a strong comedic feel in many episodes but slowly the true strength of the main character is revealed. The ending is so strong, you understand the very last sentence of the anime after the ED.
Old 2012-01-31, 03:42   Link #18
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Akagi is an easy choice.

Also, Hunter x Hunter-- same author as Yu Yu Hakusho, so it's filled with cool protagonists.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2012-01-31, 04:55   Link #19
dametsuna

100% is Hibari Kyoya in Katekyo Hitman Reborn! (Surprise that no one mentioned him)
Old 2012-01-31, 16:48   Link #20
kitten320

^For me personally Hibari had zero personality. If I really had to choose from Reborn cast, it would be Mukuro. Otherwise they all are bad and flat =/