AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-10-20, 02:33   Link #401
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

We should make that a group effort. Twould be awesome.

IN OTHER NEWS: ANOTHER CHAPTER!

I needa do some HaloxHaruhi sometime. lol.

Last edited by Khu; 2009-10-20 at 08:36.
Old 2009-10-20, 13:31   Link #402
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Closest that I know of for Haruhism works is rewritten Warhammer 4000 based text.
Old 2009-10-23, 02:45   Link #403
Ricky Controversy
Frandle & Nightbag

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...56#post2723056

A new short story, a bit different from the previous ones. Inspired by the image thread where a recent comment on a bit of Kyon x Asakura struck me as interesting.

--- --- ---

I'm looking to write another short, but something other than a condensed single-character focus piece, but I'm a bit stumped on ideas because I've been putting my energy into a screenplay. I'm looking for suggestions, and this is seriously something I want to do because I consistently find my short stories, which used to be my strong point, have fallen off the wagon quality-wise due to my continued focus on larger projects. Take a look at the (admittedly mediocre) things I've posted in my thread in Fan Creations, and if you come up with any ideas you'd like to see carried out within that particular style, feel free to contact me via PM or just post them here.

I'm hoping for a few ideas, so if you have multiple things you'd really like to see, feel free to suggest them all.

Thanks in advance.
Old 2009-10-23, 06:16   Link #404
worldruined
power tends to corrupt

Send a message via AIM to worldruined
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Controversy View Post

A new short story, a bit different from the previous ones. Inspired by the image thread where a recent comment on a bit of Kyon x Asakura struck me as interesting.
I really enjoyed reading this. Thank you so much for sharing!
Old 2009-10-23, 08:37   Link #405
DmitryEV

Send a message via ICQ to DmitryEV
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
Excellent story. Thanks.
Old 2009-10-23, 09:18   Link #406
Ricky Controversy
Frandle & Nightbag

I'm humbled that you enjoyed my work. It felt odd while I was writing it, and I wasn't sure if I ought to have repeated the same scene different ways, but I do feel in retrospect that showing the arc decaying was the better choice. I just wonder if Haruhi was sympathetic enough.

Any criticisms or suggestions for future shorts are most welcome, as well!
Old 2009-10-23, 20:50   Link #407
ijuinkun

Assuming that the number at the start of each scene is the number of the repeat (and thus that Haruhi is "rebooting" the world again and again, possibly all the way back to the start of high school, sort of like a larger version of "Endless Eight"), it seems that Haruhi is first trying to get Asakura out of the way without totally removing her (up till the scene where Asakura begins the familiar-to-us approach of trying to kill Kyon, which gets a new aspect in light of the other repeats--maybe her subconscious is telling her "if I can't get Kyon, then neither will Suzumiya".). The following scenes seems to show a reversal, sort of like Haruhi realizes deep inside that she had gone too far by arranging for Asakura's death as happens in our familiar timeline.
Old 2009-10-23, 21:44   Link #408
worldruined
power tends to corrupt

Quote:
Any criticisms or suggestions for future shorts are most welcome, as well!
Hm... You mentioned something in another post that intrigued me, and I'd love to see what you could do with it:

Quote:
Kyon and Itsuki had an argument towards the end of book six that was just fascinating to me, and I wanted to see them argue more.
Old 2009-10-23, 22:19   Link #409
Ricky Controversy
Frandle & Nightbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijuinkun View Post
Assuming that the number at the start of each scene is the number of the repeat (and thus that Haruhi is "rebooting" the world again and again, possibly all the way back to the start of high school, sort of like a larger version of "Endless Eight"), it seems that Haruhi is first trying to get Asakura out of the way without totally removing her (up till the scene where Asakura begins the familiar-to-us approach of trying to kill Kyon, which gets a new aspect in light of the other repeats--maybe her subconscious is telling her "if I can't get Kyon, then neither will Suzumiya".). The following scenes seems to show a reversal, sort of like Haruhi realizes deep inside that she had gone too far by arranging for Asakura's death as happens in our familiar timeline.
You nailed it pretty well. The numbers are indeed intended to represent the number of the repeat, and the progression is as you say. I wanted to address the looming issue that tends to be glossed over by fiction which features Kyon romantically involved with someone other than Haruhi: that being that Haruhi wouldn't be thrilled about it.

However, even in spite of the repeated resets, the characters do mature in their own ways, and bit by bit, Haruhi fully grasps what she is subjecting Kyon, Asakura and herself to. I was originally thinking of ending the repeats at the point of greatest decay, but I have too much faith in Haruhi's better nature to let things sit that way. Hence the reversal.

As to your suggestion, worldruined, that's a good point. I may as well write it myself if I want to see it, yes?
Old 2009-10-23, 23:37   Link #410
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Quote:

... Given the fact that I don't recall anyone else putting forth that theory, ever, I'm assuming I'm the one to blame for this lovely, yet ultimately sad, story... I do look forward to more of your work, Ricky.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2009-10-24, 17:58   Link #411
Ricky Controversy
Frandle & Nightbag

I went back and checked book six for what it was I thought I was remembering only to find the scene was in the middle of the book, not the end. Further, it turns out it wasn't an argument, really, but there was nevertheless an interesting tension between Kyon and Itsuki where the latter talks about wanting to lower the facade he has created and be himself, and implies that he might not be quite so courteous and kind if he did.

I'll need to come up with a scenario to bring that to the foreground again if I'm going to write a story based on that. I've also been mulling over the idea of writing a fic centered on Mikuru, exploring perhaps why there's such a profound difference between the more self-assured, commanding older version and the fearful, passive younger version. Thoughts?
Old 2009-10-24, 18:10   Link #412
worldruined
power tends to corrupt

Quote:
I went back and checked book six for what it was I thought I was remembering only to find the scene was in the middle of the book, not the end. Further, it turns out it wasn't an argument, really, but there was nevertheless an interesting tension between Kyon and Itsuki where the latter talks about wanting to lower the facade he has created and be himself, and implies that he might not be quite so courteous and kind if he did.
You could also consider the prologue for volume 4, which is the only time we know of that Koizumi actually snaps at Kyon. It's not a full-blown argument, but it isn't exactly a sunshiny little conversation, either.
Old 2009-10-24, 19:55   Link #413
Jonbob0008
The Last Loner

Send a message via MSN to Jonbob0008
I went and posted my stuff on Deviant Art. Now to work on chapter 25!
Old 2009-10-24, 20:03   Link #414
Tabasco

Quote:
I've also been mulling over the idea of writing a fic centered on Mikuru, exploring perhaps why there's such a profound difference between the more self-assured, commanding older version and the fearful, passive younger version. Thoughts?
Liked the linked story, and the one previous about Emiri, we really don't get much sense of her and that explanation fits perfectly.

I'd toyed with something along the same lines with Mikuru as well, treating the time she spends with the SOS brigade as a sort of 'that which does not kill me makes me stronger' exercise. If you get around to writing it, or want to give a co-op attempt a go, I'd like to see it.
Old 2009-10-31, 23:09   Link #415
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I recently wrote a fanfic over on another message board site that crosses over The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya with a mid-90s anime known as El Hazard. As such, the title is "The El Hazard of Haruhi Suzumiya"

El Hazard was an anime about four humans from Japan (three teenagers, and one Sensei) getting transported from Earth to a very alien world known as El Hazard. This transportation occurred slightly after strange mysterious ruins where discovered underneath the school that the three students and one Sensei went to - these ruins revealed an ancient artificial life form known as Ifurita (a gorgeous but deadly 'demon god').

This struck me as precisely the sort of thing that Haruhi would investigate... and some of the El Hazard characters struck me as good foils for certain Haruhi characters (and vice versa). I should also point out that Haruhi ends up achieving one of her dreams in this fanfic - encountering a very alien race known as the Bugrom (very large insect-like creatures - perhaps they're what becomes of the cicadas that Haruhi keeps releasing )

Special warning: Strict Haruhi X Kyon shippers will probably not like this fanfic... you have been warned!

The fanfic is completed, and fairly long. It is entirely Kyon narrated however - I think some fans here might like that.

Here's a link:

http://forums.comicbookresources.com...d.php?t=269068

Here's some added info on El Hazard:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El-Hazard

And here's info on the two key El Hazard characters for this fanfic:

http://www.absoluteanime.com/el-hazard/jinnai.htm

http://www.absoluteanime.com/el-hazard/makoto.htm

El Hazard does have a lot of characters, though - if people want added info, please PM me.
Having recently read through this, I suppose I should comment/give publicity...

Excellent, read it.

Okay, that was cheap. For a real review, please check the below spoiler. Please note: I may accidentally end up spoiling parts of the fic in the review. You have been warned.

Spoiler for Review that might spoil a few things.:
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.

Last edited by Kogetsu Shirogane; 2009-11-01 at 09:33.
Old 2009-11-01, 18:44   Link #416
Ricky Controversy
Frandle & Nightbag

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...79#post2743279

The beginnings of a multi-part short fic that will probably be six or seven chapters long.
Old 2009-11-01, 21:21   Link #417
worldruined
power tends to corrupt

Quote:

The beginnings of a multi-part short fic that will probably be six or seven chapters long.
I am so, so looking forward to the rest of this. You do a wonderful job of capturing characters' voices, which really makes reading your work a joy.

Thank you!
Old 2009-11-01, 21:46   Link #418
AmyElizzabeth
Moo

Send a message via MSN to AmyElizzabeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khu View Post
I just saw this now lol.
Cuute!
Old 2009-11-02, 02:53   Link #419
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Quote:

Rather nice. Any estimates on how long before the next part is finished?
Old 2009-11-02, 02:59   Link #420
Ricky Controversy
Frandle & Nightbag

Well, it's not impossible that I'd have it updated late tomorrow night, but I'd say Tuesday is more likely.

Edit: Went back and tightened up some grammatical and word-choice errors, but on the whole don't feel inclined to change much. I'm rather happy with this first chapter. The second will probably catch most of you by surprise, I think.

Last edited by Ricky Controversy; 2009-11-02 at 15:48.
Closed Thread

Tags
fanfiction