AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2007-03-12, 00:30   Link #41
Tommy
Mr. Prince

This movie was awesome! Really it's amazing how a movie with virtually no plot can be so good! The action, coupled with the beautiful cg, gore and hardcore metal just blends together so well that really who the hell cares about the plot? The actors did a great job as well and the narative was good too.
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-12, 03:53   Link #42
Red Herring
SPARTANS

Movie was great. Seen it twice already.

Very manly, lots of killing, macho excess, female nudity, scenes of mass carnage I thought died with the '80s. Pure mindless entertainment...done oh so right.

Historical accuracy...blah. You'll NEVER get that in the movies anyway. This did the right thing my mythologizing the battle rather than trying to accurately depict it.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-12, 04:12   Link #43
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
Very manly, lots of killing, macho excess, female nudity, scenes of mass carnage I thought died with the '80s. Pure mindless entertainment...done oh so right.
Somehow the one scene with the nude girl was completely ruined by the thought of those diseased freaks pawing at her day and night.
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-12, 04:19   Link #44
Red Herring
SPARTANS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
Somehow the one scene with the nude girl was completely ruined by the thought of those diseased freaks pawing at her day and night.
Well you got to see Gorgo's tits and those Persian chicks(they weren't all scarred, some were steamin'). The red headed broad was actually near the bottom of my list, she was too lanky for my taste.
Old 2007-03-12, 04:24   Link #45
tritoch

People looking for the plot of the movie should probably either read more history or more comics!

Spoiler:
tritoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-12, 06:27   Link #46
Hentai Guy
REdiculous (see profile)

Location: I live in a freakin' desert...not even a cool desert with cacti and stuff...just a whole lot o' nada
Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post

It's a new movie that I'll be watching in iMax tonight! Good thing I reserved those tickets several weeks ago because the theater has already sold out for the next couple of weeks. Even though it is based on a true historical fact where 300 Spartans hold of a Persian army, I don't give a toot about the history. I'm in it for the visual and mindless action with plenty of blood and gore. Some of the reviews also mentioned that the history buffs who want to watch it for the history, should stay at home since the history book was eaten by a dog.

Looking forward to it.
You don't give a hoot about the history?!? Such a shame...the story (in reality it's little more than that at time) of Thermopylae is one of the great ones! I actually stood in front of the memorial to Leonidas and the Spartans at the site of Thermopylae. It's not really there anymore...and there's a highway running through it...but it was moving none the less. I really hope 300 turns out to be awesome...although I probably won't be able to find out until July when I get back from the land of wind, dirt, and heat.
Hentai Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-13, 18:01   Link #47
psycho bolt
Cowmaster

Yeah well the history doesn't really matter since some of the stuff is part true or not. But one thing that comes to my mind is that we need more movies like these. Lots of hard core stuff. Thats probably one thing that stood out of all. Shows that comics could be adapted into movies and movies can be just as explicit. Who needs censorship when it comes to entertainment. Look at anime.

I can't wait more movies based on Frank Miller comics. Sin City 2, The Spirit, and possibly Ronin. BTW check out Frank Miller's question on Yahoo Answers: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...6092424AALWtTq
psycho bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-13, 20:43   Link #48
aahhsin

Awesome.
This movie is just awesome.

YOU SHALL KNEEL BEFORE ME!!!
Sorry I got this cramp in my leg.

They then used their magics...
And we fought on.

They attacked us with monsters...
Those slow lumbering beasts... (DIE ELEPHANTS)

DIE DIE DIE KILL KILL KILL - That's pretty much the movie.

If you guys do watch this movie there's one thing I have to stress.

DO NOT OVER ANALYZE THIS MOVIE. OR the following will happen.

1. You will hate the movie because it conflicts your political views and you're a dumbass.
2. You will be uncomfortable, because in reality you are a closet homosexual and an incredible homophobe.
3. You think you're smart and know how large the Persian empire is. Therefore you will sprout out a bunch of bull crap only to get flamed by me later on.
aahhsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-14, 02:42   Link #49
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
It was worth my $7.50 ^_^. The fighting scenes were great, of course. Of course the king was hilarious too.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-14, 11:53   Link #50
aahhsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayos View Post
The movie is a adaptation from a graphic novel, it doesn't have anything to do with politics...

does it? Maybe I missed something. I should go watch it again.

Usually the closet homosexual are the ones pointing the finger. Still those were some ripped abs, you must admit even you can't help but notice. That's the only reason why you brought up the idea of homosexuality right?

My guesstimation would be 5 guys. That's still pretty big for an empire back in those days.

All joking and gibberish aside I agree, it's probably the best movie of this year.
See. This is exactly what happens when you OVERANALYZE the movie. Guess you missed that line in my post. Pretty much everything he says is exactly what's going to happen and force you to hate the movie.

1. There are people in IMDB and Rottentomatoes that are claiming this movie is a propaganda by the current US government for this one line it says in the movie. "Freedom is not free".

2. Once again in IMDB and RT, there's a post with "300 gay men" Look for it.

I personally think this movie is an ultimate male masochism movie. All the good traits about Men are portrayed in the Spartans. Buff, Loyal, Brave, etc.

3. And of course racism. Where a Greek "White" man is seen kicking a "black" persian in the well. Not to mention the Asians, Middle easterns, blacks, and all those minorities getting slaughtered by "white" men.

Take it for what it's worth. That's why I'm telling people to not over analyze when you watch this movie. Bullshit like that will stir you up.

Here's a good example:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/09/mo...in&oref=slogin

Last edited by aahhsin; 2007-03-14 at 12:05.
aahhsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-14, 12:24   Link #51
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

yes... it is a shame when historical authenticity or being true to the tall tale throttles someone's "politically correct revisionist" organs.
Old 2007-03-14, 12:50   Link #52
Knightmare213

Where are the days when we just watched movies for the sake of entertainment, not to find hidden message and bash people?

When I saw the first trailer for the movie, my common sense told me that there is no way in hell that the Persians were like that. After some research and watching a documentary about the Persian Empire, I was right.

Critics and people alike are making the film feel political, while it wasn't meant to be. Somehow, people had lost the way when they can just watch the movie and be excited about the story. And here I thought that the film critics are supposed to judge whether a movie is good or bad, not to find a negative, nor positive, connections.

Seriously, who watched this movie to expect to find a historical connection?
Knightmare213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-14, 14:15   Link #53
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
This movie was awesome! Really it's amazing how a movie with virtually no plot can be so good! The action, coupled with the beautiful cg, gore and hardcore metal just blends together so well that really who the hell cares about the plot? The actors did a great job as well and the narative was good too.
I second that. It was a lot like Sin City. However, I thought the guy whose eyes glowed for the scene transition was dumb looking. If they are going to use the graphic novel style, they have to use it through out. The wolf was pretty bad-ass, though.

Oh my, what big teeth you have....
Old 2007-03-14, 14:45   Link #54
leofish
Mia 'cova

speaking of over analyzing.....
http://www.imdb.com/news/sb/2007-03-14/film/1

I thought the movie was great. The perfect use of slowed motion made the fight scenes some of the best. cant think of a single other movie where you could actually see the form to such exquisite detail. I think the rhino scene was great, you knew exactly how it was gonna unfold.. but was still fantastic
leofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-21, 09:08   Link #55
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

http://www.wretch.cc/blog/kojhkimo&article_id=7818016

300 - in Lego.

Though it's in Chinese, the pics pretty much tells the story if you've seen the movie. More or less sums up the movie in less than 5 minutes.

(The only change in this Lego version is that the Spartans hope to go on an Onsen trip with all the hot Valkyries at the "Hot Gates", the only problem is that the Persians are blocking the way. )
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-21, 12:56   Link #56
Danny_river
Kanon Fotter!

went to go see it last weekedn. Sweet movie!
Danny_river is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-21, 13:33   Link #57
iKumdo
Chodan

Send a message via AIM to iKumdo
Quote:
Originally Posted by leofish View Post
speaking of over analyzing.....
http://www.imdb.com/news/sb/2007-03-14/film/1

I thought the movie was great. The perfect use of slowed motion made the fight scenes some of the best. cant think of a single other movie where you could actually see the form to such exquisite detail. I think the rhino scene was great, you knew exactly how it was gonna unfold.. but was still fantastic
The funny thing is, the ancient Persians aren't really related to modern Persians (like the Iranians).
Old 2007-03-22, 00:52   Link #58
Chobits*

This movie is the best especially the parts it went slow motion in but what i can't quite understand is why did they stay? Wouldn't it be smart to go back and fight with more power?
Chobits* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-22, 01:05   Link #59
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Why did who stay? The Persians or the Spartans?

The Persians brought several million men and didn't have any more power to bring. More power was not the problem. As for the Spartans, they wouldn't have been allowed to bring more men so retreat equalled defeat. Neither side could go back and bring more power.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-22, 23:56   Link #60
Red Herring
SPARTANS

300 as a PG film:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNqiS...k%5Fid%3D22520

FROSTING!!!!1!