AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-07-18, 21:19   Link #761
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The theater goers get the option to purchase a Limited Edition Blu-ray at the theater (it was late in printing or something this time so they had to wait two weeks to get it). The clips up currently are from theater attendees that have their BD already.
It then comes out for everyone else on BD and DVD a month or so after it gets released in the theater.

Chapter 2 (episodes 3-6) will come out on BD and DVD in a week and a half (the 27th). The BD has English subtitles already.

The next film (Chapter 3 with Episodes 7-10) comes out in October with the BD/DVDs coming out in November.
Old 2012-07-19, 12:58   Link #762
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Be interesting to see if this new Yamamoto will have a similar role by Yamato 2201 (she'd be interesting in a fist fight with some marines).
I think the Marines would be happy to get into a fist fight with Yamamoto
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-19, 15:01   Link #763
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

With the condensing of episodes, if the synopsis for 7-10 match more or less their old 1974 counterparts, I estimate that they will have room for five entirely new episodes, or expand other plotlines to make them more interesting.

They have seemingly condensed several episode plotlines that repeated early on. It is also possible they will remove some episode plots to replace them with other plot (similar or not). Or shift some plots around, keeping A plot in one episode and putting B plot in another episode while moving C subplot to someplace else or removing it entirely. This would be helpful for later on as the series of more intense the closer Yamato got to Iscandar, with the plot not really taking a break from episodes 20 to 26.

1974 ----> 2012

Episode 1 = Episode 1
Episode 2 & 3 = Episode 2
Episode 4 & 5 = Epiosde 3
Episode 6 = Episode 4
Episode 7 = Episode 5
Episode 8 = Episode 6
---------------------
(Speculation and very rough estimate)
Episode 9 & 10 = Episode 7
Episode 11 & 12 = Episode 8
Episode 13 = Episode 9
Episode 14 & 15 = Episode 10

Also found this on Danbooru: Unsual to find fanart of Yuki in this uniform. Most are after the skintight suit.
(No idea what is being said)
Old 2012-07-20, 15:11   Link #764
Kamijou Touma IB
Imagine Breaker

While I love the new series. I finally finished the old one today with Final Yamato, wow that movie was so sad the last 20 minutes I was just crying.
Kamijou Touma IB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 00:03   Link #765
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The Final Yamato ending has always seemed more fitting for me than the Farewell to Space Battleship Yamato or the Live Action movie Yamato endings.
Old 2012-07-21, 04:46   Link #766
macdawson

I'll be bold and say this. I hope they keep Okita alive at the end of Yamato 2199. Yamato 2201 (if they get to do it, hope so) would be beyond awesome with Okita in command and it would be a tremendous game changer. I know Okita's "death" (since, as we find in Final Yamato... spoiler much?!?!?! XD ) is supposed to bring Kodai to the role of commander of the Yamato and i've even be pointed out that, without Okita dying, there would be no Hero's Hill monument wich, as we all know, is one of the saga's greatest icons. But considering that Okita is (insert Final Yamato spoiler here!), that point is rendered moot. Hero's Hill may exist even without Okita's death since during the saga other members of the crew are honored there so the monument may serve as a memorial to those fallen during the journey to Iscandar. Also, since Hijikata has been brought into 2199, his relationship with Okita could be further exploited during 2201. As for Kodai's role as captain, he was replaced by other captains in Saraba and Be Forever so...

Bottom line, i love the good captain and as long as were changing stuff around, instead of bringing him back in Fina... ups... sorry, just keep him around and tackle that story telling challenge.

And, as long as were talking of Final Yamato, who else saw the Yamato sinking at Pluto and just immediatelly yelled "IT'S JUST LIKE THE SINKING FROM FINAL YAMATO!!! F**K, YEAH!!!!AWESOME!!!"?
Or was it just me...?
macdawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 05:50   Link #767
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

It depends. The question will be "who's story is it?" If the answer is Kodai...than the old mentor character has to either die, or move aside so the hero can stand on their own.

Now if the story is instead Okita's for this show....well that changes things a lot, doesn't it?
Old 2012-07-22, 10:38   Link #768
macdawson

Like for the first movie a fan has mixed new footage with old sound from original episode 4 and made this video. Most of it is from the 9 minute preview and Floating Continent battle scenes we already saw, except here those scenes are in HD quality. But what makes this really worth seing are the scenes at the start and end wich give us the first view of the Big Blue Guy himself, Dessler, acompanied by his female guards, Hiss and Celestra. And let me know if you agree with me... Gamilas might be the heart of the evil empire but...man, they made it look really good. Beautiful stuff.

Old 2012-07-22, 11:33   Link #769
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Dessler looks fine animated. It is also quite clear he likes long haired blondes.

I do wonder if they will do the reveal for Gamilas early or wait for later in the series.

Also I wonder which hole use to be the home for the floating continent.
Old 2012-07-22, 16:15   Link #770
macdawson

If by reveal you mean the fact that Gamilas and Iscandar are twin planets, i was just alerted to the fact that although in Star Blazers they kept that secret 'till the Star Force got there (although there were some very obvious shots of the two planets next to each other throughout the series), in the Yamato version it seem it wasn't that much of a secret as they actually labeled one of those shots with the planets names quite early on. Maybe in 2199 they'll show the planets together (as they do in this clip) but not openly identifying Iscandar. That way, us long time fans know it's there and enjoy it but the new viewers have to get there by themselves.
Old 2012-07-22, 19:37   Link #771
vfxArt

I fall into the category of wanting to keep Okita around for sure; not so much 'active-duty', but to allow Kodai to grow into the role to some extent. Perhaps until they can just see Iscandar, then push Kodai into the deep end but don't kill the Captain. I think if Okita were to succumb to whatever his body is enduring, whether they go the route of the original story or devise a new complication, I wouldn't mind so much if the capsule loaded in the auto-pilot room were used to sustain him during Yamato's return.

"And, as long as were talking of Final Yamato, who else saw the Yamato sinking at Pluto and just immediatelly yelled "IT'S JUST LIKE THE SINKING FROM FINAL YAMATO!!! F**K, YEAH!!!!AWESOME!!!"?
Or was it just me...? "

Oh no, you're not alone... :-)
vfxArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 14:43   Link #772
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

This was a balancing test game of the old Earth style ships and the Gamilon ships using the Star Blazers miniatures game rules. Aside from needing to reduce the number of missiles on the Gamilon destroyers (both for balance and for the sake of shortages) I think things are more or less balanced. Will balanced enough that the Earth ships can hurt the Gamilon forces, but it takes concentrated fire ans a little luck. They are still doomed, but at least they will take some Gamilons with them.

This is a imaginary version of the "First Battle at Mars". The one they lost. I guessed the year.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TL;DR…

Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

And an image of the eight later era battleships painted to represent the Earth Cruisers at Pluto.

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-07-23 at 19:16. Reason: Added image of the eight "cruisers"
Ithekro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-25, 11:22   Link #773
LKK

According to an ANN article, Akio Ohtsuka (Fate/Zero's Rider, Ghost in the Shell's Batou, One Piece's Blackbeard, Bleach's Kyouraku Shunsui, and Black Jack's title character) will voice General Domel. (Starblazers' character name "General Lysis".)

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-25, 12:21   Link #774
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well. He knows how to play larger than life characters. Ane Dommel could be played larger than life. He's the best military leader they have. I doubt his fate will be different than before, but I hope he earns some respect from Yamato's crew...just like he should learn to respect them as worthy enemies...and perhaps (if there wasn't a war on) think of them as comrades.

It would be somewhat funny if Yamato's crew discovered a Gamilas military tactics book written by Dommel sometime before they finally engage him. They could pull a line from Patton on him. "Dommel, you magnificent bastard, I read your book!"
Old 2012-07-25, 12:29   Link #775
macdawson

New clip with the same Dessler scene that appeared in a fan video i posted here a couple days ago but now with the actual sound from Yamato 2199 and Mr. Yamadera's performance? Just got it from Nico Video and it features the new version of the Gamilas ambient music wich sounds a lot different from the original but in a good way (IMHO). Also Celestra and Hiss and those pretty guards. And keep an eye for the very last shot wich puts an end to a question discussed by some of us a few days ago.

Old 2012-07-25, 13:31   Link #776
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

They didn't say it, nor label it...but they did sort of show off a bit in the window. Guess their won't be much surprise for the new audiance.

I liked the voice and art used. Dessler sounds more like his later incarnation than his first appearance. Probably because very early on he wasn't any different than any other early 70s sci-fi villan. Only after turning blue (and a few other things) did he become the Dessler Soto everyone remembers. Of course we've not seen him upset yet either. Dessler getting mad at is underlings is something special (particularly that one time in Yamato III when the name "Yamato" came up once again).

Also now I have in my head Celestra as a slightly sexy and evil Nagato Yuki. Hiss sounds about the same. And Dessler's got a lot of pretty women around him. Bodyguards it seems more so than a harem.

EDIT:The package has been shipped. Could have the BD as early as Friday.

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-07-26 at 01:36. Reason: Amazon.jp on the way.
Ithekro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-26, 03:19   Link #777
macdawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
EDIT:The package has been shipped. Could have the BD as early as Friday.
You lucky and glorious bastard!!! I have nothing but hate for you right now!!! XDDD Nah, just kidding, it's out of pure envy, i really can't shell out the cash for it right now. But soon...very soon...not to mention that hopefully the episodes will be all over the web in a few days. But i will buy it. BDRips will serve sollely as digital backup and to keep me going 'till i get the disc. This series i will support.

As for the clip, i don't know if this was intentional or not but in the pool scene, the lighting makes Dessler look a lot more pale, not blue at all, and in the corridor scene, though he is blue, it's slighly lighter than in the throne room. Can this be a nod to the original skin color change ruse? XD Lighting is everything.

Also, they seem to reffer to Earth as "Terran" (Wakusei Terran - Planet Terran), both Dessler and Schulz use the term. And there's that Gaare, only here is Gaare Dessler Soto Banzai instead of Gaare Gamilon.

And i agree with you, Cerestera is hot...for a pale, pointy eared, golden eyed alien.

Last edited by macdawson; 2012-07-26 at 05:31.
Old 2012-07-26, 06:21   Link #778
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdawson View Post
As for the clip, i don't know if this was intentional or not but in the pool scene, the lighting makes Dessler look a lot more pale, not blue at all, and in the corridor scene, though he is blue, it's slighly lighter than in the throne room. Can this be a nod to the original skin color change ruse? XD Lighting is everything.
I think not. I think that's just a quality issue from the 360p video on youtube.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-26, 11:13   Link #779
pinoy78
Yahk, DECULTURE!

Support the series folks.

Yamato 2199 is definitely worth the hard earned cash.
Old 2012-07-27, 04:28   Link #780
macdawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
I think not. I think that's just a quality issue from the 360p video on youtube.
I think not. Though it is a LQ video the relative differences in color and lighting will translate to its HD version. I've seen HQ pics of the "jacuzzi" scene and Desslers skin does look pale. But we'll see as the official release has happened. But if there are such differences, my curiosity was only if it was just the way the scenes were set up or if there was an actual intent.

The word "Terran" had appeared previously in the 9 minute preview, when the spy plane reports to Schulz. Guess thats the Gamilas name for our little planet.

Tags
classic, remake, science fiction, space opera, yamato