Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-12-08, 16:13   Link #1141
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I just find the man Aso to be astoundingly inept even by japanese politico standards. As long as the trains run on time, the pensions work, the food is safe, and the healthcare shortages are addressed to some degree -- the japanese public seems willing to ignore most of the other aburdities. But if you're going to just say nasty things to placate one audience and don't have enough sense to know who you're standing in front of..... o the hilarity.
Old 2008-12-08, 23:58   Link #1142
kyon.haruhi.suzumiya

After Suvarnabumi and Don Muang, Stansted joins the list of airports that are being hijacked by protesters.

Stansted protest cancels flights

Dozens of flights at Stansted airport have been delayed or cancelled after more than 50 protesters occupied a secure area near the runway.
Climate action group Plane Stupid said it started the protest at 0315 GMT by breaching security.
The runway was closed for about two hours, but reopened at 0810 GMT. Delays are continuing and passengers are being advised to contact their airlines.
Airport operator BAA said the protest was "unlawful". Police made 57 arrests.
Old 2008-12-09, 12:35   Link #1143
Aquillion

Rod Blagojevich is the craziest politician in crazytown. And he was just arrested.

For trying to sell Obama's old senate seat to the highest bidder. Yes, seriously.

For those who don't know, Blagojevich -- the Governor of Illinois -- is probably the most infamously corrupt and crazy politician in the entire country. He has an approval rating (or he had an approval rating, before this broke) of 4% among Illinois voters. A good explanation of exactly how crazy Blagojevich is can be found here and here.
Old 2008-12-09, 12:40   Link #1144
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
Rod Blagojevich is the craziest politician in crazytown. And he was just arrested.

For trying to sell Obama's old senate seat to the highest bidder. Yes, seriously.

For those who don't know, Blagojevich -- the Governor of Illinois -- is probably the most infamously corrupt and crazy politician in the entire country. He has an approval rating (or he had an approval rating, before this broke) of 4% among Illinois voters. A good explanation of exactly how crazy Blagojevich is can be found here and here.
and the US Attorney is Patrick Fitzgerald, so no complaint of Bush Admin trying to complicat things.
Old 2008-12-09, 16:15   Link #1145
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post

Soooooooo, was Blagojevich a known nutjob BEFORE he got elected? If so, what does this say about the majority of "good people in Illinois"?

What I've read so far --- this guy is a comic book character "bigger than life" idiotacrat.
Old 2008-12-09, 16:18   Link #1146
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

How in Lincoln's name did that bastard get re-elected again?

Even Ted "Bridge to Nowhere" Stevens fell when things came to a head, though, so I do hope he falls and falls hard. It takes a lot to make a U.S. Attorney who went through Plame and Gonzalez affairs that disgusted.
Old 2008-12-09, 17:04   Link #1147
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
He was re-elected on the name of stupidity and the '' vote for the party''.
Old 2008-12-09, 17:09   Link #1148
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:

Even Ted "Bridge to Nowhere" Stevens fell when things came to a head, though, so I do hope he falls and falls hard. It takes a lot to make a U.S. Attorney who went through Plame and Gonzalez affairs that disgusted.
Basically they hated republicans enough that they would elect a bad democrat. Not to say the other candidate wasn't bad, but it was defenitely a step up.
Old 2008-12-09, 17:28   Link #1149
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
He was re-elected on the name of stupidity and the '' vote for the party''.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoHunter_Toki
Basically they hated republicans enough that they would elect a bad democrat. Not to say the other candidate wasn't bad, but it was defenitely a step up.
Oh, right, the Party Machine. I admit I thought they would have been severely weakened by now after a century of assaults since the Progressive Era at least, apparently not enough. Well, at least I can stand aside and watch the carnage from afar. I take it from the delightful wiki article on this Tammany Boy that the other Democrats generally hate his guts?

A random question: was it ever known on what was Obama's opinion of the guy when he was still a legislator over there?
Old 2008-12-09, 17:31   Link #1150
mg1942

Picture above liberally lifted (excuse the pun) from another BBS:

Btw this is now 4 out of the last 8 IL Governors to be arrested, how fucked up is that.
Old 2008-12-09, 17:36   Link #1151
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Oh, right, the Party Machine. I admit I thought they would have been severely weakened by now after a century of assaults since the Progressive Era at least, apparently not enough. Well, at least I can stand aside and watch the carnage from afar. I take it from the delightful wiki article on this Tammany Boy that the other Democrats generally hate his guts?
I was refering by ''vote for the party'' at the peoples than votes for the same party everytime, not carryni who is the guy,
Old 2008-12-09, 17:38   Link #1152
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:

A random question: was it ever known on what was Obama's opinion of the guy when he was still a legislator over there?
The GOP hates him, but that pales in comparison to the degree to which the Dems hate him. The guy is incompetent and an all around idiot, with the poltical savvy of a crackhead.
Old 2008-12-09, 18:53   Link #1153
Green²
It's bacon!

So in looking to sub out the Senate seat, he finds himself as the new sub behind bars to wherever he is going. Oh sweet irony how I missed you so.
Old 2008-12-09, 19:11   Link #1154
mg1942

Quote:

I don't believe Obama had an opinion either way; he just played the game and moved through the system. He certainly showed no signs of pushing for any political reform as a state senator or federal senator. Corruption is not a new thing in Illinois (Blago even ran as a reformer – hahahah) but Obama steered clear of that and certainly never bucked the state party to any notable degree.

I do know that his mentor, Emil Jones, is close to Blago. Jones (as senate president) handed Obama most of the legislation he now (and then) takes credit for when he entered the state Senate. Jones also pushed his federal Senate career.
Old 2008-12-09, 20:17   Link #1155
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

I am the only one than thought about the idea of auction the physical senate seat ( not the job) of Obama .With the Obama-mania, I am sure some peoples would be willing to buy it.
Old 2008-12-09, 20:35   Link #1156
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

this is actually how they do it in the old days before senators were directly elected.
Old 2008-12-09, 21:45   Link #1157
iLney

And America during the old days was fabulous!
Old 2008-12-09, 22:18   Link #1158
Shadow Kira01

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...-recession-axe

Due to the financial crisis, Sony has decided to take away 8000 jobs from poor employees. I hope it will not affect their gaming line of production. (-_-; )
Old 2008-12-09, 22:29   Link #1159
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
I hope it will not affect their gaming line of production. (-_-; )
I would rather worry about the people who actually, you know, lost their jobs and are out there on the street than about having the next PS4 or something.

Just sayin'.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
Old 2008-12-10, 21:56   Link #1160
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg1942 View Post
I don't believe Obama had an opinion either way; he just played the game and moved through the system. He certainly showed no signs of pushing for any political reform as a state senator or federal senator. Corruption is not a new thing in Illinois (Blago even ran as a reformer – hahahah) but Obama steered clear of that and certainly never bucked the state party to any notable degree.

I do know that his mentor, Emil Jones, is close to Blago. Jones (as senate president) handed Obama most of the legislation he now (and then) takes credit for when he entered the state Senate. Jones also pushed his federal Senate career.
Blago, BTW, was seen as a 'clean guy' when he entered office, much like Chen Shui-Bian at first. That's how he got elected and re-elected.

Obama had little contact with Blago, only supporting hie bid for re-election in '06, but only because he was a fellow Democrat.

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international