Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-11-17, 06:38   Link #1
Sound of Azure
...Is that so?

[Manga] Slow paced, subtle, or supernatural reads

A lot of my long-term manga favourites have either finished or gotten less interesting of late, so I am looking for suggestions on new or ongoing series that I have missedalong the way.

I'm looking for series that relate to the supernatural in some way (horror tinged is fine). It doesn't matter if they are in a modern or historical setting, but I'd prefer something reasonably subtle or understated. My past favourites like this have been Urushibara's works (Mushishi, Waters), Midorikawa Yuki's stuff (Natsume, Scarlet Chair), and Hideji Oda's Miyori's forest.

If you know of any fairly understated or mature historical-style manga that aren't supernatural, I'd be happy to have a look at those as well.

Thanks in advance!
Old 2011-11-17, 09:41   Link #2
Fevvers
a regular van veen

I love those manga you mentioned (well, except for Natsume) and believe that anything that Urushibara creates is gold. I'm loving Ran to Haiiro no Sekai with its fantastical art; it's more slice-of-life but completely charming. Daisuke Igarashi's Witches and Children of the Sea are quite similar to Urushibara's works in terms of the languid storytelling and fluid and detailed artwork.

You might want to check out the following too (though not exactly new):
Japan Party Tengu Illustrated
Me and the Devil Blues
Uzumaki
HIstorie
A Distant Neighborhood
Banana Bread no Pudding (only if you can get pass the old-school shoujo art but rest assured this is understated and surreal)
Old 2011-11-17, 12:16   Link #3
jedinat

Not a new manga, but have you read Hyakkiyakou Shou? Katana?
Old 2011-11-18, 02:16   Link #4
Sound of Azure
...Is that so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
Not a new manga, but have you read Hyakkiyakou Shou? Katana?
I haven't, but they both sound interesting - especially the first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fevvers
I love those manga you mentioned (well, except for Natsume) and believe that anything that Urushibara creates is gold. I'm loving Ran to Haiiro no Sekai with its fantastical art; it's more slice-of-life but completely charming. Daisuke Igarashi's Witches and Children of the Sea are quite similar to Urushibara's works in terms of the languid storytelling and fluid and detailed artwork.
Witches and Children of the sea sound right up my alley, though I think I'll save Ran for later. Your other suggestions also look great, too. I've been a bit of a Junji Ito nut for last 2 years, so I'm quite fond of Uzumaki. Historie was also on my radar, but I was a bit unsure about it.

Thanks very much. It looks like I have plenty to read when I get home from work in the evenings.
Closed Thread

Tags
josei, seinen, supernatural