AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > AnoHana

Notices

Old 2011-04-22, 06:07   Link #301
CWW
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanBlue View Post
As for the well-being of others, she doesn't act any differently than Anaru does. While Anaru can't come to admit that she doesn't like how they talk about Jinta, Tsuruko can't admit the same and instead acts as if she doesn't like talking to students from Anaru's high school. Even if she really does think that, I don't think that was the reason she left the restaurant. I think Anaru and Tsuruko are equally concerned for others [if not more so for Anaru, considering she still supports Jinta].
That's the thing. Anaru was defending Jinta. I'd have understood Tsuruko's prissy behavior if Anaru had gone with the flock and said "Yeah, what a loser!" but she didn't. Tsuruko left in a rage when Anaru's friends made a comment clearly in a joking manner. It doesn't seem like something to get overly upset about if you're concerned about Jinta, least since they don't even keep in touch anymore.

That's what I meant with judgmental. She judges others for something they aren't based on their appearances. High schoolers can be cruel, but it doesn't mean they are all like that. Everyone had a time like that in high school where they're easily influenced by their peers, but Anaru actually didn't make disparaging comments about Jinta in front of her peers, which is commendable in my view.

She is a tsundere with a bit more dere than tsun.
CWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 06:21   Link #302
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWW View Post
That's the thing. Anaru was defending Jinta. I'd have understood Tsuruko's prissy behavior if Anaru had gone with the flock and said "Yeah, what a loser!" but she didn't. Tsuruko left in a rage when Anaru's friends made a comment clearly in a joking manner. It doesn't seem like something to get overly upset about if you're concerned about Jinta, least since they don't even keep in touch anymore.

That's what I meant with judgmental. She judges others for something they aren't based on their appearances. High schoolers can be cruel, but it doesn't mean they are all like that. Everyone had a time like that in high school where they're easily influenced by their peers, but Anaru actually didn't make disparaging comments about Jinta in front of her peers, which is commendable in my view.

She is a tsundere with a bit more dere than tsun.
She was defending him, but really indirectly so by trying to justify what he does instead of standing up for him. I agree that Anaru went about that better than Tsuruko did, but Tsuruko sees Anaru as Jinta did, so she has no reason to believe that Anaru is supportive of Jinta anymore. To Tsuruko, Anaru is just someone who mentally abandoned Jinta, so she sees no reason to be nice to her like Anaru does to Tsuruko.

Not to mention that "clearly in a joking manner" doesn't mean they didn't believe it. They might have said it for amusement, but it was ill-mannered and supposed to be insulting to Jinta. It being said as a joke doesn't make it less of an insult.
[Also, I personally would get mad if people were insulting really good friends of mine like that, and I would've seen just leaving as a good choice.]

It's easy to say she's judgmental because we understand Anaru better, but in my opinion Tsuruko is just as judgmental as Jinta is, and by that I mean she's completely normal. Guilt by association is really common in situations like this.

I don't mean to say that Tsuruko is somehow more considerate of Anaru or something. Anaru is obviously the one who cares about Jinta more because she stays in contact, but my opinion is that these scenes are showing that Tsuruko still cares about Jinta, or at least the memories of her friends.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 06:31   Link #303
CWW
Lurker

Some would say the erotic fantasy comment was a compliment rather than an insult.
Old 2011-04-22, 07:21   Link #304
Seiryuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWW View Post
Some would say the erotic fantasy comment was a compliment rather than an insult.
Not sure which to think it is, but I'll say this: she didn't seem unhappy about the idea. If a girl didn't like a guy, her reaction to that suggestion would be one of disgust. The blush tells me that, while she'd never admit it, deep down she really wouldn't mind it if she was Jinta's okazu.
Seiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 07:21   Link #305
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

While it would be sort of a sappy and absurd ending if the show concludes with a cosmic reset or Menma resurrecting, it would be one hell of a crowning moment of heartwarming if say everyone, when they get back together, would see Menma as Jinta sees her one last time before her wish is fulfilled and she can finally rest in peace.

I would also cry like a bitch if that happened. Anyway awesome second episode. More comments later.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 07:47   Link #306
RedWing

Episode was boring. Totally failed to capitalise of Iroha's failures this week and instead we decided to talk about Nokemon.
RedWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 08:11   Link #307
Triker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
While it would be sort of a sappy and absurd ending if the show concludes with a cosmic reset or Menma resurrecting, it would be one hell of a crowning moment of heartwarming if say everyone, when they get back together, would see Menma as Jinta sees her one last time before her wish is fulfilled and she can finally rest in peace.
I am waiting for this scene. I hope it happens.
Triker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 08:27   Link #308
hero147

Quote:

I would also cry like a bitch if that happened. Anyway awesome second episode. More comments later.
To be honest, I second this. But then again, I'm a person who absolutely hates sad/bittersweet endings.
hero147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 08:35   Link #309
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

This episode pulled on a different heart-string, which worked a lot better on me: nostalgia. It really hit me hard. I was very impressed by the direction and the pacing of this episode. I thought the first episode introduced to much characters at once, but in restrospect, this was a very good move.

I was surprised Anal (I chuckle every time someone calls her that now... damnit) opened up so fast. I thought she'd be one of the hardest to "get". The hardest one to deal with will most likely be Tsukuro, in my opinion. I get the feeling she was a lot more jealous of Menma than Anal was, and that she still resents her to this day. As such, I disagree she's the most mature of the cast. She just acts like she is.

What Yukiatsu did is definitely creepy, but hey, it could have been a lot worse. He could have smelled her panties instead of her dress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiryuu View Post
I hope Menma starts to realize how "old" she is now. I mean, walking around in a towel is one thing (and thankfully she's self-connscious enough to wear a towel), but that spot in the first ep where she apparently "pleasured" Jinta with her rear without even realizing it was seriously messed up. I wonder if his father thought THAT was "cute".
Don't forget that despite how she looks, she's only a six-year-old. Her behavior, unlike that of most moeblobs, is totally understandable, and there's no way she'll notice her behavior isinappropriate by herself. Jinta would have to explain it to her, which would be awkward to say the least.

Quote:

You just spoiled the ending!
Old 2011-04-22, 08:37   Link #310
Kakkou
Tch.

Okay, Yukiatsu, sniffing your deceased friend's clothes (and exactly WHY do you have that?) is incredibly creepy.

Another good episode, save for that little service scene that felt out of place. I didn't expect Anaru to come around so soon but now that they've more or less made up that leaves Tsuruko and the very much creepy Yukiatsu left. I'm still unsure about Tsuruko's current self. Did she snap at Anaru for hanging out with those girls who badmouthed her childhood friend or has she been soured by a deep seated jealousy towards Menma and whatever Yukiatsu's problem(s) may be? Anaru's choice of company may come up as a hurdle she has to overcome later while Yukiatsu's Menma fascination could very well be the last issue they have to tackle. There's also the question of how Menma died (hint appears to be drowning). Once more, I'm really loving this show. Hope it keeps getting better.

EDIT: Oh yes, Pokemon Nokemon Gold has always been my favourite version too =). Good times~

Last edited by Kakkou; 2011-04-22 at 08:49.
Kakkou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 08:49   Link #311
kitten320

Atsumu sure is creepy, just how the hell did he get that dress anyway? I guess he really liked her when they were kids, maybe a bit too much.

Looks like Tsurumi will be hard one to deal with.

Anjo happened to be a really nice person, though I think her friends will ruin that at some moment and she will have to fight herself.

MeoTwister5 that's the ending I see actually, a bittersweet reunion.
Old 2011-04-22, 08:55   Link #312
pagan poor
Swayin' to the beat

Already my favorite show of the season.

Quote:

This, if it happened. I'm not expecting some sort of reset. I'm expecting everyone to have some closure regarding Menma. I think self-forgiveness is a key.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post

What Yukiatsu did is definitely creepy, but hey, it could have been a lot worse. He could have smelled her panties instead of her dress.
Probably because he didn't have access to her panties.
pagan poor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 09:08   Link #313
Triker

I guess I am the only one who has a feeling that Tsuruko really trasures the gang or at least doesn't want any conflict between them. I don't have any proof. But from what I saw she still cares about Jinta and she tried to stop Yukiatsu criticizing Jinta. Also when they were kids, she was the only one who tried to stop the others during Jinta's confession. So I think getting her to join the group wouldn't be that hard.

Or I'm just bias because I like her
Triker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 09:29   Link #314
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Well, if I'm right with that speculation, then it may be prudent to have a towel handy when the final episode rolls by.

I Remember Yesterday

The wounds of the past do run deep just before the gaming session. Time supposedly heals all wounds, but apparently not enough time has elapsed for this. Anaru, like Jinta, carries her own scars of jealousy towards Menma. As a kid she was jealous of her, and one can easily conclude this to be the reason as to why she had chosen to remake herself to the image similar to that of her friends. Straight hair, contact lenses, fashionable, the very definition of someone aspiring to be the cream of the social crop. But, as we see, this wasn’t enough. She did it as a reaction to Menma, in order to beat her out for Jinta’s affection. but what happened after she died? She could have easily tried to fill in the gap in his heart after she died, but she didn’t. Menma was gone but she still couldn’t do a thing about her feelings for Jinta. The reason?

Guilt. This and, perhaps, an unfulfilled rivalry with Menma. Like Jinta she feels guilt for the way she thought of him, liking Menma as a friend but also hating her for her closeness to Jinta. She likely feels, like Jinta, a great sense of responsibility for what had happened to her. Anaru’s feelings of jealousy are still unresolved all these years since Menma died. She disliked her, saw her as a rival for Jinta, and probably believed she needed to beat her. How then can she beat her if she is already dead, and how can she make up for these feelings if she is no longer around? Guilt, like Jinta, is heavy baggage.

As for Yukiatsu… well… that’s almost obviously a result of ridiculous emotional suppression. He has, very likely, had a long and deep seated crush of Menma which was destroyed by her death. Everyone showed so far seems to have had their own defense mechanisms. Jinta is repressing the event, Anaru is projecting somewhat into Jinta and Poppa is most likely already using humor to live with it. Yukiatsu is, well, displacing. By displacing, I mean he’s privately performing an unconscious desire in the form of smelling Menma’s blouse. That’s not exactly a very healthy coping mechanism, though Jinta and Anaru aren’t exactly that much more mature than him. His displacement is often considered the worse form of a neurotic response, not to mention flat out creepy. Some believe that he will be the last character to find some sort of redemption and forgiveness. Whether or not this is true remains to be seen.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 09:39   Link #315
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakkou View Post
Okay, Yukiatsu, sniffing your deceased friend's clothes (and exactly WHY do you have that?) is incredibly creepy.
Thank god I wasn’t the only one to think that. Whatever buildup the episode had was just blown away for me when that happened; he’s like some kind of necro-pedophil or something—good thing the Japanese burn their dead.

Anyway besides that the execution was pretty nice. However still I kind of find Anjo’s fashion sense a little lacking (yes I’m talking about her damn hair).
Old 2011-04-22, 10:01   Link #316
applejuice
I kill you
*Graphic Designer

Again, very satisfying episode. A bit of soup opera vibe, but mixed very well.

Direction was top notch, also. A lot of scenes that triggers nostalgia were cleverly placed inbetween, camera angles were maximising that feeling of reflections and memories, especially when Poppo, Anaru and Jintan was playing Nokemon. I also loved the sticker part.

However, other two seems to be more complex friends in 'so called elite school'. I have feeling that something will go horribly wrong at some stage of the series, as current development seems to be awkwardly fast.
Old 2011-04-22, 10:10   Link #317
CWW
Lurker

I wouldn't say Anaru is fashionable - she and her group of friends seem more like oddballs than prom queens - and she definitely isn't using contacts. You could see her wearing glasses in the garden, then taking them off in the house not a moment later.

The taped sticker on her GBA SP speaks volumes on how she feels about Menma. She resented her to a degree, sure, but I'm sure most of it was jealousy and now that she's gone there's nothing to be jealous about.

Currently her guilt seems to reside in that she faults herself for Menma's death by asking that question on that day. If she hadn't then Jinta wouldn't have run off and things might have turned out differently. If she can overcome that then I'm sure she can leave the past behind.
Old 2011-04-22, 10:45   Link #318
ID555
Kamaboko smash & grab

Eps1-2

Pretty good stuff. More sombre than comedic slice of life, some teen angst, yet every episode gets my complete attention.

When's Junta going to realise she's a real ghost?
ID555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 10:48   Link #319
Haru~
My Lovely Bunny Chie

This anime revived my love of anime. The emotions it possess, the pacing, the story.... It captures my heart. Well, I'm being cheesy but that's what I feel right now.
Those little things in episode 2 like finding the nokemon (Pokemon>_<) for Menma and Menma thanking while putting her head on his shoulder made me teared up a bit.
And I only felt this kind of love to an anime in two episodes is when I watched my most favorite anime, Honey and Clover. They gave me the same feeling.
Anyway, something creeped out of me a bit.
Spoiler for creepy:

Still, Menma x Jintan is the best but Anaru x Jintan is good also.
Old 2011-04-22, 10:50   Link #320
FireChick

Awwww! This episode was soooo cute and sweet! And Pokemon and Wandering Son references galore!
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coming of age, drama, noitamina, slice of life, supernatural, tragedy