AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-04-04, 16:05   Link #1
4Tran

Macross Frontier Character Discussion - Alto Saotome

The purpose of this thread is to provide a place to discuss all things Alto related.
To keep the discussion enjoyable for all Macross fans, please follow the guidelines below and stay on-topic!

Note: Please don't use this for the specific episode / chapter / game talk, there are other threads for that stuff.

Thread Guidelines
  • No campaigning!
    No "hate" or "xyz must die" posts. Discuss why you do or don't like characters without whining and whining or blatantly campaigning for your favorite.

• Be polite to your fellow forum members.
    Do not insult or harass other members for their likes and dislikes. Do not take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member because they express a fondness for a character you loathe. Discussion and good spirited banter is always welcome, but harassing people won't be tolerated.

• Discuss, not Chat.
    Please remember that AnimeSuki is a discussion forum, not a chat room, there is a difference. If you wish to chat, then please make use of our IRC channel (#animeuki) on ZiRC.

• Have fun, but post intelligently.
    It's great to have fun, but please try your best to add substance to what you post and make your thoughts interesting for the generation of fans that will follow after you’re long gone and on to watching some other series.

• Use spoiler tags!Spoilers are allowed, but they must be enclosed in spoiler tags clearly marked with a proper title. Failure to do this can result in a BAN.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    to locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Old 2008-04-04, 20:31   Link #2
Jett
Web junkie

Ok, i suppose that somebody must say it...
I am really scared by the meaning of this pic:

Alto has some relation with the Kabuki and is a onnagata… or they only look for to satisfy niche of "traps"?
Old 2008-04-05, 01:07   Link #3
dom33
Pat:TAISAAAAA!

@jett that's alto?!?!? i thought it was sheryl!

any way I think alto is an interesting and sympathetic character.I'd say more but it's only episode 1.
WhiteWings:To this day I don't know what the insanity behind the decision to release the first GSD ending. My God that was without a doubt the worst ending I had ever seen in my life in a anime series.
Blizzer: He already has special powers called super pheromone powers which makes him irresistable to Sekirei's in heat.
Old 2008-04-05, 07:22   Link #4
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jett View Post

http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/9...ltohimeon2.jpg?
For starters, we know thanks to the special first episode that he's not happy at all with being labeled a female because of his looks --- so it's pretty obvious that that image shall have something to do with it.
Old 2008-04-05, 07:28   Link #5
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:

Alto has some relation with the Kabuki and is a onnagata… or they only look for to satisfy niche of "traps"?
Yeah, too bad it's a series spoiler to mention it now. It's not the first TV series that aired this year to introduce this element into a character development. However, he is the first one to be pissed about it. Maybe Kabuki is seeing a resurgence in Japan or there is a decrease in onnagata in Japan now.
Old 2008-04-05, 08:15   Link #6
Tabris

He needs a haircut :3
Old 2008-04-05, 09:24   Link #7
Westlo
Lets be reality

Haha Princess Alto ftw.
Old 2008-04-05, 14:52   Link #8
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Haha Princess Alto ftw.
Doujin material.
Old 2008-04-05, 15:11   Link #9
IHaveCrayons

I think he's much less reticent then most of your typical main characters. For example, he seems pretty happy after his encounter with Ranka Lee's little Nyan-Nyan song. He even zooms up on her with his camera. Maybe he has a personality?!
Old 2008-04-05, 15:59   Link #10
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
well, he certainly more "girly" then hikaru was.

at leased he doesn't have a mullet hair cut.

So one thing we know, is that he attends a sort of military cadet high school? or at leased a high school that has a military cadet club? i don't think all high schools have power glider runways.

oh well, as long as they aren't emo-random teenagers to pilot god-hacked robots.
Old 2008-04-05, 16:01   Link #11
IHaveCrayons

Everyone knows that emo-random teenagers are the best pilots!!

I just hope he doesn't become automatic pro and engage SEED mode out of nowhere.
Old 2008-04-05, 16:32   Link #12
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveCrayons View Post
Everyone knows that emo-random teenagers are the best pilots!!

I just hope he doesn't become automatic pro and engage SEED mode out of nowhere.
*crucifies HaveCrayons before the Macross Altar*

Forgive his sins! he is but only a Gundam heathen..oh ok, just the liver too. he doesn't need it anyway.

Unfortunately we don't have "seed" mode in Macross, but we have something similar, but it only happens between when two individuals of opposite gender get busy with each other to bring out the special thing.

Anyway, Altro should have rudimentary training to pilot a vehicle, in cadet clubs they do teach you the basics, so seeing him pilot the Valkyrie wasn't surprising.

Seems like a pretty passionate character, but no emo here, these mecha don't feed off emo-vibes like does special gundams need.

Old 2008-04-05, 16:37   Link #13
ssfsx17

Quote:
I think he's much less reticent then most of your typical main characters. For example, he seems pretty happy after his encounter with Ranka Lee's little Nyan-Nyan song. He even zooms up on her with his camera. Maybe he has a personality?!
His personality is probably something like, "The only thing that I like more than flying around in the sky is shacking up with chicks who are half my height."
Old 2008-04-05, 16:50   Link #14
IHaveCrayons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO View Post
*crucifies HaveCrayons before the Macross Altar*

Forgive his sins! he is but only a Gundam heathen..oh ok, just the liver too. he doesn't need it anyway.

Unfortunately we don't have "seed" mode in Macross, but we have something similar, but it only happens between when two individuals of opposite gender get busy with each other to bring out the special thing.

Anyway, Altro should have rudimentary training to pilot a vehicle, in cadet clubs they do teach you the basics, so seeing him pilot the Valkyrie wasn't surprising.

Seems like a pretty passionate character, but no emo here, these mecha don't feed off emo-vibes like does special gundams need.

That was sarcasm by the way =x
Old 2008-04-05, 17:17   Link #15
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Quote:
That was sarcasm by the way =x
so was mine.

=x

don't even have an altar anyway.
Old 2008-04-05, 17:53   Link #16
changeup

You know, nowadays when you are making an anime, you have to include a TRAP character just for the sake of following the trend.

This being said, since Kabuki is only played by males, I do not consider that playing Onnagata equals to TRAP... This also means that that photo has to be Alto since Sheryle cannot play Kabuki for this very reason

Quote:

Old 2008-04-06, 08:21   Link #17
orion

But having onnagata or onnagata-like characters shown in real life with identity issues and being emo or pissed off is becoming popular. So is there a reaction against onnagata now in Japan?

Another anime currently being aired has 2 of these characters in it. One that has finished had 1 character but without the identity issues. That character was emo about something else.
Old 2008-04-06, 16:51   Link #18
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Aww come on, how can we be sure Alto is a trap? Alto has too much Gar potential to be a trap (tell me that shot at the end of the episode isn't screaming Gar)

Edit: When rewatching the op it seemed a bit more likely, for one thing they have the same eyes (colour and structure) and their hair is the same colour too. Will Alto's Gar potential be undermined?

Last edited by DonQuigleone; 2008-04-06 at 16:59. Reason: Additional comment
Old 2008-04-06, 21:08   Link #19
orion

Most of us were saying that he isn't a trap. Aruto obviously has his sexual identity in place and is not trying to fool anybody.

Also, onnagata is not a subset of trap. More info about onnagata and Kabuki is here.

But this won't prevent people such as Micheal from teasing him about it.

Last edited by orion; 2008-04-06 at 21:22.
Old 2008-04-07, 07:38   Link #20
Winchester

Eheh. Family name Saotome, sensitive about gender issues... I smell huge crossover potential. Be afraid...

(and yes, I know they most likely use different kanji, but that never mattered to anyone who wanted to write fanfic anyway...)

SP
Closed Thread