AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-03-25, 01:38   Link #2641
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiree Disaster View Post
Anyone know how to make GIF avatars? ^_^;
You can find that information and more in this thread, located in our Fan Creations forum.
Old 2009-03-25, 03:43   Link #2642
Desiree Disaster
Keiichi Fangirl ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
You can find that information and more in this thread, located in our Fan Creations forum.
Thank-you very much!
Desiree Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-26, 07:00   Link #2643
KimmyChan

Can anyone give me a link to a cool trailer for the new Blood The Last Vampire live action movie?

I'd greatly appreciate it!
KimmyChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-26, 08:56   Link #2644
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by KawaiiKimmy View Post
Can anyone give me a link to a cool trailer for the new Blood The Last Vampire live action movie?
* Trailer

* Image Gallery

* AS Thread for The Live Action
Old 2009-03-26, 09:01   Link #2645
KimmyChan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geta Boshi View Post
Oh wow! Thank you so much! ^__^
KimmyChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-27, 00:50   Link #2646
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Here's something weird. Spices, and when I mean spice, i mean those little spicy things we put on our chickens and tacos

When you eat them you get a burning sensation, with little to no taste. Yet we still eat them, and i've always wondered, why? Of course this may come down to personal taste, but can anyone give me a reasonable explanation.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.

Last edited by Solace; 2009-03-27 at 03:17. Reason: Removed title for Aoi. ;)
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-27, 01:22   Link #2647
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoie_Emesai View Post
Here's something weird. Spices, and when I mean spice, i mean those little spicy things we put on our chickens and tacos

When you eat them you get a burning sensation, with little to no taste. Yet we still eat them, and i've always wondered, why? Of course this may come down to personal taste, but can anyone give me a reasonable explanation.
If you ask me, there's a world of difference between the taste of plain chicken and spicy chicken.

There's also a lot more than just a burning sensation. With the right combination, you can actually get very unique flavors that don't always make your tongue feel as if it's on fire.

At home, we often use a combination of *chile piquin, lemons, garlic and *consomate (among other things) to make a marvelous salsa for our chicken.

*english fails me for this words.
Old 2009-03-27, 03:19   Link #2648
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

If all you taste is the burning of spices, it means someone screwed up the recipe. Spices are supposed to compliment and enhance the natural flavors of the dish, not overpower it with throat burns.

Of course, I know people who drink Tabasco straight from the bottle. That's a true lover of spice.
Old 2009-03-27, 05:15   Link #2649
ZippyDSM
Incoherance is my friend!

Quote:

Because its a sensation that feels good and bad, like alcohol or coffee.

I love peppers even have gotten my tolerance up to habanero levels, I mix my own sauces now because I can't find enough cheap habanero stuff.

I use a big bottle of Tapatio Hot Sauce - Salsa Picante and either put a bottle of crushed red or a table spoon of cyan and 2 bottles dried and pureed Taxes Pete Tabasco peppers, with a dash of sugar for taste. Pureed tabasco peppers bring alot of bitter with them :P

Quote:
If all you taste is the burning of spices, it means someone screwed up the recipe. Spices are supposed to compliment and enhance the natural flavors of the dish, not overpower it with throat burns.

Of course, I know people who drink Tabasco straight from the bottle. That's a true lover of spice.
Tabasco is hella weak >>
Hell its so bad now I have to put cyan on everything just to add a bot of taste :P
ZippyDSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-27, 05:31   Link #2650
escimo
Paparazzi

Quote:

As said before the sensation is part of the thing. The burning sensation is caused by capsaicin in the peppers. People react to it very differently, some have very good natural tolerance for it some don't. Eating spicy foods does increase this tolerance. If the burning sensation overwhelms the taste of the pepper or the food you just went a bit overboard with it. Peppers should taste in the food. And different peppers are a world apart what it comes to taste and spiciness. However that makes spicing food a bit difficult since due to individual tolerances.
escimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-27, 09:56   Link #2651
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Pfffft. Wimp.

You've not tasted spicy till you've had chilli crab!

Everything else in the West is fluff by comparison. Why, I had a German dormmate choke on my Maggi curry noodles, and that was barely a tenth of how spicy almost anything else in Singapore, or Malaysia for that matter, can get.

Quote:

escimo has already explained why you get the burning sensation. And, yes, it comes down to personal preference as to why some people enjoy that "taste". It gives your food some much needed oomph.

But it doesn't really have to "burn" and, in fact, if it does, then the chef has most likely overused it. Spices are meant to enhance the flavour of food, especially meat. Historically, they've also been used as preservatives and also possibly to hide the taste of rotting meat.

Having survived three years of bland British food as an undergraduate — and this was in the 20th century mind you; Indian food is a godsend to Britain — I hate to imagine what British food may have been like in the Middle Ages. It's no wonder Europeans conquered the world in search of spice. With such awful food waiting for them at home, who could blame them?
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-27, 10:07   Link #2652
ZippyDSM
Incoherance is my friend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Pfffft. Wimp.

You've not tasted spicy till you've had chilli crab!

Everything else in the West is fluff by comparison. Why, I had a German dormmate choke on my Maggi curry noodles, and that was barely a tenth of how spicy almost anything else in Singapore, or Malaysia for that matter, can get.

escimo has already explained why you get the burning sensation. And, yes, it comes down to personal preference as to why some people enjoy that "taste". It gives your food some much needed oomph.

But it doesn't really have to "burn" and, in fact, if it does, then the chef has most likely overused it. Spices are meant to enhance the flavour of food, especially meat. Historically, they've also been used as preservatives and also possibly to hide the taste of rotting meat.

Having survived three years of bland British food as an undergraduate — and this was in the 20th century mind you; Indian food is a godsend to Britain — I hate to imagine what British food may have been like in the Middle Ages. It's no wonder Europeans conquered the world in search of spice. With such awful food waiting for them at home, who could blame them?
I was going to say something about bland British cooking :P

If its not burning even just a bit its not spiced enough :P
ZippyDSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-27, 16:35   Link #2653
SeedFreedom
Hina is my goddess
*Graphic Designer

Quote:

I believe the reason why we enjoy eating spicy foods has to do with our bodies natural reaction to pain. capsaicin, as mention is what gives spices its burning taste. The receptors for capsaicin is also the same thing that tell us something is on fire, literally on fire. When our body gets a signal that it is in pain, it releases endorphins which make u feel good, to counteract the pain. Hence artificially creating pain creates pleasure.
SeedFreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-27, 17:58   Link #2654
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Pfffft. Wimp.
You misunderstand me. I was talking about spices, not stuff that rates off the scoville charts. There are plenty of dishes that are meant to just see if you can breath fire but spice to me is a compliment. I like both spicy and hot dishes, but I prefer flavors that enhance each other. If any one ingredient in my meal is overpowering I don't enjoy it as much. While I sometimes seek out a very hot dish, I don't desire getting used to it either. Constantly using very hot spices dulls my tastes for "non spicy" foods. It's just personal preference, I have friends that always eat the spiciest things they can find (and not just the "wimpy" tobasco )

SeedFreedom's answer has some merit:

Quote:
Because of the burning sensation caused by capsaicin when it comes in contact with mucous membranes, it is commonly used in food products to give them added spice or "heat" (pungency). In high concentrations capsaicin will also cause a burning effect on other sensitive areas of skin. The degree of heat found within a food is often measured on the Scoville scale.

Cooling and mechanical stimulation are the only proven methods to relieve the pain. The burning sensation will slowly fade away if no actions are taken.

It is common for people to experience pleasurable and even euphoriant effects from eating capsaicin-flavored foods. Folklore among self-described "pepperheads" attributes this to pain-stimulated release of endorphins, a different mechanism from the local receptor overload that makes capsaicin effective as a topical analgesic. In support of this theory, there is some evidence that the effect can be blocked by naloxone and other compounds that compete for receptor sites with endorphins and opiates.
Capsaicin
Old 2009-03-28, 00:39   Link #2655
Skane
Anime Snark

Coming from Singapore too... I must state that unless one went to some exotic Mexican-Indian hybrid Seafood-Restaurant that I do not know of, the Chilli Crab is by no means a dish anywhere near the top of the tongue-shredding scale of Capsaicin torture.

That said... the Chilli Crab dish IS still spicy, so don't take it lightly if you're not used to chilli.

Cheers.
Old 2009-03-28, 00:55   Link #2656
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
Coming from Singapore too... I must state that unless one went to some exotic Mexican-Indian hybrid Seafood-Restaurant that I do not know of, the Chilli Crab is by no means a dish anywhere near the top of the tongue-shredding scale of Capsaicin torture.

That said... the Chilli Crab dish IS still spicy, so don't take it lightly if you're not used to chilli.

Cheers.
Hell, the higher I have gone on that list is the Habanero chili. I don't even want to think what that Naga Jolokia thing taste and feels like.

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2009-03-28 at 02:08.
Daniel E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-28, 15:39   Link #2657
Kakashi
カカシ

Send a message via MSN to Kakashi
Jeez. Asians and their overcompensation. Mediterranean cuisine trumps all.
Kakashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-28, 18:22   Link #2658
dragon4dudes
Uncountable rationality

Send a message via MSN to dragon4dudes
this isn't going anywhere...

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so. Douglas Adams
Where facts are few, experts are many. Donald R. Gannon

void foo() {foo();} // Can you guess what this line of code does?
dragon4dudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-28, 18:43   Link #2659
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Its not supposed to... just eat a lot of different things and get out of your "safe box"
Old 2009-03-28, 19:13   Link #2660
Clarste
Human

I've actually always been in the "liking spicy food is a form of masochism" school of thought but a recent experience changed my mind about that. I usually order "medium" spiciness when given the option, in order to not look like too much of a wimp, but few weeks ago I decided to order "low medium" at an Indian restaurant, ignoring the funny look the waiter gave me. And lo and behold, the food was less spicy, but also rather bland in terms of taste. It just ended up being uninteresting to eat.

So anyway, I've changed my evaluation of spiciness as a form of masochism into a necessary evil. The spiciness is an unfortunate side effect of the taste of the spices. Too much spiciness when you're not adapted to it overwhelms the taste, but too little spiciness removes taste as well. It's all about finding the limit of tolerable spiciness and staying there.

That said, I prefer saltiness. I like to salt things a lot, and most people seem to think I'm crazy.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
problem, q&a, serious