AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 03
10 out of 10: Near Perfect... 49 22.17%
9 out of 10: Excellent... 39 17.65%
8 out of 10: Very Good... 52 23.53%
7 out of 10: Good... 46 20.81%
6 out of 10: Average... 18 8.14%
5 out of 10: Below Average... 6 2.71%
4 out of 10: Poor... 6 2.71%
3 out of 10: Bad... 0 0%
2 out of 10: Very Bad... 0 0%
1 out of 10: Torturous... 5 2.26%
Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-07-22, 00:52   Link #161
LightningZERO
You are Dominated!
*Author

I thought this was a good episode. I think they overdid it by beating us on the head with the "you won't die" talk and it turns out that they all die in the way. Their death didn't sadden me (maybe perhaps that death by pickaxe, ouch), but their effect on Kirito did. It was sad to see Kiro trying to protect them and ended in failure and probably will drive him to be more loner.

Still, I kinda failed how exactly is his fault though. The Black Cats were dead because of their stupidity...
Old 2012-07-22, 00:54   Link #162
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
? I understand melodrama to be whenever a character's reaction to something is ridiculously over the top... not sure what's excessive about someone crying after receiving an emotional message from a dead friend of theirs...
Fair enough. But I still didn't feel a damn thing because the whole development of the guild being killed off was done in one episode!

Quote:
I agree otherwise though, I enjoyed the episode but it was somewhat jarring. And Kirito was actually level 70 was by the end.
Herp Derp.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 00:59   Link #163
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
Fair enough. But I still didn't feel a damn thing because the whole development of the guild being killed off was done in one episode!
I agree, but as others have said, you were likely suppose to feel more Kirito than them, I guess.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 01:00   Link #164
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningZERO View Post

Still, I kinda failed how exactly is his fault though. The Black Cats were dead because of their stupidity...
The reason why Kirito blamed himself was because he promised Sachi that he would protect them/her, and his inability to save them from death really made things hurtful for him.
Old 2012-07-22, 01:05   Link #165
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

the ironic part its that if they had took more time explaining things people would be complaining about beign too draggy and wasting time in these arcs, i consider things well conveyed, theres no melodrama like in AW has, and thats a series that is starting to become draggy for me, so far the episodes seem to be establishing the setting of the story with some character background and development, so its good they are keeping things simple.

PS: cool that we are getting guts the next episode.
Old 2012-07-22, 01:09   Link #166
frivolity
My posts are frivolous

Imagine what would happen if it turned out that the people who died in the game didn't actually die in real life but were simply disconnected from the game and woke up in real life. The people in the game wouldn't know that this was the case since they would have been shut away from the news in the real world. The one who got to the final floor would wake up in bed only to realise that the cake game is a lie.
frivolity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 01:15   Link #167
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by frivolity View Post
Imagine what would happen if it turned out that the people who died in the game didn't actually die in real life but were simply disconnected from the game and woke up in real life. The people in the game wouldn't know that this was the case since they would have been shut away from the news in the real world. The one who got to the final floor would wake up in bed only to realise that the cake game is a lie.
I'm actually hoping this turns out to be the case, if only for the lols it would create at the end. In the hands of a skilled writer, we could utterly destroy our lead's psyche!
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 01:17   Link #168
RegalStar
Mishaguji-sama

Before reading the novels I also thought that the pacing was rushed. After I read the appropriate chapter in the novels, I realized that it isn't the anime's fault that the story felt rushed. There really isn't enough material to make it more than one episode without over-slowing the pace, or do original detail expansions.
RegalStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 01:27   Link #169
novalysis

I'd have to agree that RNR's main focus is on the impact of Sachi's death on Kirito, though I disagree that it would have worked better as a flashback.

Now, from an anime original perspective, I must confess that it did not strike me emotionally at the core. Intellectually, I agreed that it was emotional, and they conveyed Kirito's grief well. It's just not sufficient to impact me, even if it did tell me much about Kirito's character, and defined him well.

Spoiler for LN Perspective:

Now, theoretically, RNR could have been two episodes, but then, they'd need some anime original material into it. That, or it could have been a Christmas flashback- I have to agree it felt like I watched a Half Cour Recap episode here.

In general though, I dearly hope that RNR would silence those irritating, ill founded claims that Kirito's a generic Shounen Protagonist.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 01:28   Link #170
-khriz-

Hard to enjoy this anime when the majority of people are complaining because it's not like the original material.
-khriz- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 01:38   Link #171
SRanger
Remember, no moe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
Now there is no need to be dramatic about it some peoples hearts aren't harden as most others you know...
not being dramatic, it's just like 'wtf', most of that guild were a bunch of nobody-tier characters, a dime a dozen when it comes to anime.
Old 2012-07-22, 01:42   Link #172
Bahamut
...lost in nothingness...

...i like the way they protray that even though kirito is gradually becoming the OP character...he still fails to protect anyone...but really this is only an introduction for a real loss...
...rather these people really died or just disconnected...i want to see an arc where at least a key character(s) dies...basically someone(s) who showed up at least for 2 arcs who doesnt seem to have the death flag (if possible someone with as much importance as asuna or something) and dies somewhere by ep 14 before the second opening comes... (assuming theres one)
...kinda want to see a scene similar to tengen toppa or ffVII...call me a sadist but i can only see character/story progression through some sense of loss...
...would also be great if kirito actually "dies" at the end...then second season stars asuna and maybe klein as main characters...then you could throw kirito back in the end in true god mode...but this stories background and laws shouldnt be able to fit though...so scratch that idea...i just want to see somebody try to scratch off the main character for a whole 10+ eps...
Bahamut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 01:43   Link #173
larethian

I'm surprised no one commented on how n00bish it was to rush in and open a treasure box sitting in the middle of an empty room

And it's quite shocking that some of them died from just a hit or two. That was one of the deadliest trap rooms a DM/GM can put in a paper and pencil RPG game.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 01:49   Link #174
Bahamut
...lost in nothingness...

...if anything it was noobish that they all went in...everyone knows that you send only one guy out as the guinea pig...
Bahamut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 02:26   Link #175
Starlightz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamut View Post
...if anything it was noobish that they all went in...everyone knows that you send only one guy out as the guinea pig...
I don't think it will work like that in a life or death game with a group of close friends
Starlightz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 02:27   Link #176
Aesthetic Shampoo

Well, SAO to me now is like one of those crappy cartoons i saw on TV as a kid; episodic and boring.
Aesthetic Shampoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 02:28   Link #177
Rovert10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamut View Post
Yeah but you forget this is a death game.

Sending 1 guy by himself and if he dies that means you sent him to his actual death. Granted you are all in danger but if he dies due to being alone then your concience is gonna eat you away at least.
Rovert10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 02:37   Link #178
Peanutbutter

Wow, this was a jarring but pretty sad episode. I think Hayamin's excellent delivery, especially in the last message part really played a part.

The guild guys really overestimated themselves. But Kirito definitely is at fault for not telling them everything.

The time skips were very jarring, for me who didn't read the source. At the same time though, I'm interested to know what I'm missing.

Also, is someone gonna die every episode? I know the setting of this. I like to see how the main characters goes against the odds but having someone dying like that is a bit too much.
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 02:57   Link #179
Flere821
Lurker

I thought the episode was alright, could have been better but by itself it's not too bad.

On Klein:
Spoiler for Klein and Divine Dragon's Alliance, Anime vs LN comparison:

If nothing else, Klein is pretty good in a way.

On the matter of timeskips, I don't watch the anime until subs come out and looking at the date/location subtitles it makes the timeskips more reasonable.
Flere821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 03:08   Link #180
MasterVampire

really like this episode
MasterVampire is offline   Reply With Quote