AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-01-11, 03:54   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 652 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

And a happy new year, everyone! We kick off the year 2012 with a spoiler provided by good ol' Mr. T! So what happened after Luffy challenged one of the emperors? Let's find out....

-Chapter title is "Grim Prospects Ahead". The splash page ministory features Chimney and Gonbe from Water 7.

-Jinbei and Neptune talk about the future of their island. They figure that they'd let Luffy become the island's new protector after all. Meanwhile, the guards tell Luffy that the tamatebako contains a bomb, which was set as a security measure in case it was stolen. However, all the treasure was given to Big Mom's men, which naturally angers Nami.

-Caribou recovered from Luffy's attack and intends to sell off the treasure as well as the info of Shira's secret to a "certain someone" as a gift. However, upon discovery of Charlotte's men taking the treasure for themselves, he assaults them with his "Numa Numa (swamp) Gatling". However, Pekoms (the lion guy) takes him on, and reveals that he's a DF user.... specifically, a turtle Zoan. He instantly takes out the swampman with a haki attack. It also turns out that Pekoms has a bounty of 330 million....!!

-Meanwhile, the pirates who escaped from Hody are captured by Smoker in the New World, who is now a vice-admiral. Tashigi is present as well, and is currently ranked captain. He asks the pirates to tell him who freed them from Hody's grasp in exchange for letting them go. When they confess that it was Straw-Hats, the marine says he figured it was them all along.....

Well now, this is a most interesting spoiler! The revelation with Pekoms is what struck me as most interesting (the fact that he's a turtle Zoan despite being a lion man further convinces me of what I mentioned in the last thread about there being a race of "furries" in the OP world). And damn, a bounty that's pretty darned close to Luffy's current price...... makes me wonder how much Tamago is worth. And it looks like Adan's wish may not be granted, if Caribou earned himself the wrath of Big Mama as well (though I do wonder who he wants to sell off Shira's secret to).....

Also, it should be noted that according to the spoilers, post-skip Smoker's face wasn't actually shown (however, it's noted that Tashigi is now sporting a ponytail). Perhaps our cigar-chomping friend can finally use haki now.....

Lastly, I'm kinda unsurprised that Foxy was skipped yet again. Hopefully, that means Oda will set up a complete mini-arc for him after the current one is wrapped up. Anyhoo, I'm definitely looking forward to the chapter's release!

Last edited by marvelB; 2012-01-11 at 05:16.
Old 2012-01-11, 05:07   Link #2
Homura7

You should have waited a bit more, marvel, the official spoiler doesn't even say that about Jinbe. Go take a look, it has just been translated.
Old 2012-01-11, 05:17   Link #3
marvelB

^Yeah, I fixed the post a bit. So it looks like Big Mama's gonna get a rather explosive surprise if her men took the tamatebako....
Old 2012-01-11, 05:42   Link #4
bonsobon

Sounds like an intriguing chapter. I wonder if Pekoms' DF is an Awakened type like the ones in Impel Down. I also wonder why all the treasure was given to Big Mom's men even though it wouldn't be enough to curb her wrath as we saw last chapter.

As for Smoker being a VA? I must say I'm a little suprised at that, given who his boss is and how wildly different their ideas of justice are.
Old 2012-01-11, 06:21   Link #5
SOGESNAKE
NEW WORLD BABY~!

Send a message via MSN to SOGESNAKE
I'm abit disappointed that there was no Foxy too... which I guess means he WILL be returning in the New World~
Old 2012-01-11, 08:00   Link #6
Homura7

I wonder who that "certain someone" Caribou is talking about must be. It has to be someone tremendously strong.
Old 2012-01-11, 08:06   Link #7
Undertaker

But didn't Big Mom refused the treasures? In that case, how did they still ends up with the treasures?
Old 2012-01-11, 08:17   Link #8
SamuraiX

Send a message via MSN to SamuraiX
When I read that Caribou wanted to sell Shirahoshi being the Mermaid Princess to a certain someone my mind quickly fell on non other than DoFlamingo.
Old 2012-01-11, 08:41   Link #9
Homura7

Still wondering why Luffy will end up ravaging the island.
Old 2012-01-11, 10:23   Link #10
yakumo-chan

carribou's bounty is 2 billion!!???

anyways Smoker is now a Vice Admiral!! same as Garp the Hero!!
Old 2012-01-11, 10:39   Link #11
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

Smoker is vice admiral..... and tashigi is captain..... (tashigi is hot.. XD)
tamatebako stuff is dangerous... but honestly, Caribou is always look for trouble
Jinbei's possibility to join Luffy's crew is raising again

completely like restarting, now Luffy will meet Smoker just like what's happening at the beginning of his journey
wondering if he will meet Buggy too
Old 2012-01-11, 10:46   Link #12
Homura7

The Sun pirates are under the protection of Big Mom!?

There's no doubt anymore now, that three-eyed girl has to be Koala.

Oh, and Jinbe is coming with Luffy, but not joining. Or at least this is what it's interpreted from his words, plus he has his crew.
Old 2012-01-11, 11:09   Link #13
yakumo-chan

Taishigi is Sexy XD

Ivankov needs to reverse gender both Zoro and Taishigi so that Zoro can prove to Taishigi that being a girl doesnt mean you are weak!
Old 2012-01-11, 11:36   Link #14
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Vice-admiral Smoker...this is gonna be so much fun
Quote:
When I read that Caribou wanted to sell Shirahoshi being the Mermaid Princess to a certain someone my mind quickly fell on none other than DoFlamingo.
Same here, mermaids are expensive enough, but to sell a giant mermaid human weapon should be reserved for the filthy rich kind

Jinbei's position is pretty shaky, can he just come and go wherever he pleases?
Old 2012-01-11, 11:41   Link #15
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakumo-chan View Post
carribou's bounty is 2 billion!!???

That's clearly a mistranslation (as is expected of those MS scans). We already knew for a good while now that Caribou's bounty is in the 200 million range.

Hmm, so it looks like Jinbei was the one who convinced Big Mom to look after the island. And his speech with Neptune seems to indicate that the remaining Sun pirates are laying low in the New World. Interesting....

And... heh, Pekoms pretty much reinforces those strength arguments I made in the last chapter thread. If the goofy-looking lion guy (who doesn't even seem to be a first mate) was powerful enough to take out a Logia with ease, there's no way we can expect the Straw-Hats to have an easy time against an emperor's crew. Unfortunately, the explosive tamatebako won't do our protagonists and favors.

Also, I was sort of wondering: Since the G5 marines are noted to be so wild, I wonder if this means that they're made up of those escaped level 6 prisoners from Impel Down? Like maybe the WG promised them freedom in exchange for their servitude in taking down pirates (similar to the shichibukai's amnesty, in other words).....
Old 2012-01-11, 11:42   Link #16
Homura7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
Same here, mermaids are expensive enough, but to sell a giant mermaid human weapon should be reserved for the filthy rich kind
While true, I was thinking about Kaido. A Yonkou holds more weight than a Warlord.
Old 2012-01-11, 11:51   Link #17
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

2 billion...oh Mangastream.........

I really liked the conversation between Jinbe and Neptune, we got some really nice info from it. Simply put, in the NW you are either very strong or you work under one of the emperors like it was with WB.

I have a feeling Shanks is the only one that only has his crew and nobody else working for him. Shanks didn't seem to me like the type to gather crews under his name, though I won't be surprised if he has territory under his protection like the others.
Old 2012-01-11, 11:57   Link #18
Rainbowman

Time for my review:

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
-Chapter title is "Grim Prospects Ahead". The splash page ministory features Chimney and Gonbe from Water 7.
No Foxy. No actual disappointment here. I wonder if he was captured by Blackbeard?

Quote:
-Jinbei and Neptune talk about the future of their island. They figure that they'd let Luffy become the island's new protector after all. Meanwhile, the guards tell Luffy that the tamatebako contains a bomb, which was set as a security measure in case it was stolen. However, all the treasure was given to Big Mom's men, which naturally angers Nami.
Oh Luffy why did you have to go and do that? Those treasures had to have some use to them. You better find a way to get back on Nami's good side to make up for that blunder.

Quote:
-Caribou recovered from Luffy's attack and intends to sell off the treasure as well as the info of Shira's secret to a "certain someone" as a gift. However, upon discovery of Charlotte's men taking the treasure for themselves, he assaults them with his "Numa Numa (swamp) Gatling". However, Pekoms (the lion guy) takes him on, and reveals that he's a DF user.... specifically, a turtle Zoan. He instantly takes out the swampman with a haki attack. It also turns out that Pekoms has a bounty of 330 million....!!
If only we had a clue about that "certain someone" Caribou was talking about. And Pekoms being a turtle zoan is certainly a surprise. How can a humanoid lion have a turtle based zoan? I thought he was an awakened lion zoan. My logic is being shattered here.

Quote:
-Meanwhile, the pirates who escaped from Hody are captured by Smoker in the New World, who is now a vice-admiral. Tashigi is present as well, and is currently ranked captain. He asks the pirates to tell him who freed them from Hody's grasp in exchange for letting them go. When they confess that it was Straw-Hats, the marine says he figured it was them all along.....
So Smoker had reached Garp's rank and Tashigi as captain. I bet Smoker's pursuit on Luffy hasn't changed.
Old 2012-01-11, 12:04   Link #19
Kallen4life

that person is Kaidou/BB/Doflamingo
We are Blackwatch
We are the last line of defense
We will burn our own to hold the red line, it is the last line to ever hold
Old 2012-01-11, 12:06   Link #20
noktown

Quote:

And... heh, Pekoms pretty much reinforces those strength arguments I made in the last chapter thread. If the goofy-looking lion guy (who doesn't even seem to be a first mate) was powerful enough to take out a Logia with ease, there's no way we can expect the Straw-Hats to have an easy time against an emperor's crew.
Wasn't that what Luffy did in the Last Chapter ?He ko'd him,Cariobu just regained conscious later on ?And from what it seemed in the last chapter,Luffy didn't use any major move to ko him,just punched him.

I'm not gonna go into the whole argument again,it's tiring,but that doesn't really mean anything.
And obviously we can't expect SH's to take on an emperor easily even if the Lion guy struggled ko'ing Caribou.
Closed Thread