AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2010-12-30, 23:33   Link #2241
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
I think that several Tennessee defenders should go into Witness Protection to save themselves from the wrath of Derek Dooley after those penalties.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-30, 23:38   Link #2242
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

Yeah, but that Bray kid will probably be a top 5 pick in a couple of years if he progresses like he should. Him and O'Brien from Maryland.

Last edited by Dilla; 2010-12-30 at 23:49.
Dilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-31, 10:53   Link #2243
JagdPanther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilla View Post
Yeah, but that Bray kid will probably be a top 5 pick in a couple of years if he progresses like he should. Him and O'Brien from Maryland.
Disagree. O'Brien is decent, but not great. I don't think he'll progress much from where he's at right now.

Bray will be good, though. He just isn't that great yet. They talked a lot about his accuracy, but he is completing barely 50% of his passes on the year. He was sub-50% though the entire game until the final drive last night. He'll get there. He also needs to hit the weights something fierce.

Old 2010-12-31, 12:08   Link #2244
Highman
Keep Pounding and Destroy

Send a message via AIM to Highman
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
I think that several Tennessee defenders should go into Witness Protection to save themselves from the wrath of Derek Dooley after those penalties.
Mr. Dooley isn't going to do Diddley squat to his players, he should scared for his piss poor performance this season. He probably taught them to hit more aggressively, it's the refs fault too anyway.
Highman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-31, 17:11   Link #2245
Elo the Blue
Mama there goes that man!

Looks like it's going to be three straight bowl losses to sub-par teams for Miami. Shameful...
Old 2011-01-01, 00:47   Link #2246
Highman
Keep Pounding and Destroy

Send a message via AIM to Highman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elo the Blue View Post
Looks like it's going to be three straight bowl losses to sub-par teams for Miami. Shameful...
I can feel your pain and sorrow. You will enjoy being in relevant box my friend. Happy New Year Miami!
Highman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-01, 20:21   Link #2247
JagdPanther

GOOD FOR TCU!

I loved the players trying to give Patterson a Gatorade bath. He was yelling at them not to because the game was still on, and you could hear the one kid on the mic say, "Okay, we don't do it." And then when Dalton took the last knee, Patte...rson TOOK OFF for midfield, but I was yelling at the screen, "Chase him! Chase him! Don't let him get away!" All of the sudden, from off screen, the players chase him down and douse him.

I do not believe in conference solidarity AT ALL. I was rooting HARD against Wisky and Michigan today. Screw them.

But, that all said... Penn State. Wow. I hate Matt McGloin. In 23 years, I have never seen such an ATROCIOUS performance from a Penn State QB. And the coaches are just as much to blame for not pulling him. McGloin lost us that game. He SUCKS. And people have been all up in his jock for months thinking he's so great. No, he's not. He is fucking TERRIBLE. The signs have been there since the beginning that this would happen. It did against OSU and it did today. Screw Moxie-Spice. If Bolden or Jones can't beat him out in the off season we might as well forfeit all of 2011.

Old 2011-01-01, 20:49   Link #2248
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Time for Arkansas to make it a clean sweep^^...The funniest $hit about all of this is that Rich Rodriguez is gonna get hosed yet he's the only coach in the Big Ten with an inventive enough mind to create an offensive system that can change the balance of the conference, but he won't get enough time...

To compete with the SEC and even some of those SEC-lite teams you can't just be powerful and run heavy, you gotta have packages that manipulate the defense (Situational packages)...As average as Florida played today, Penn State's offense was so STRAIGHT-UP, no frills it was ridiculous...You not gonna be able to just go at these NFL-babies with the same $hit all day...You gotta trick'em (Not trick-play'em, manipulate the match-ups)...Same $hit with Wisc., can't be running that HB-Tackle $hit all game verses athletic teams...Sucks to be a BIG 10 fan right now and has been for a while to be honest...This is a down year for the SEC too which makes it worse...
Old 2011-01-01, 20:59   Link #2249
JagdPanther

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
Time for Arkansas to make it a clean sweep^^...The funniest $hit about all of this is that Rich Rodriguez is gonna get hosed yet he's the only coach in the Big Ten with an inventive enough mind to create an offensive system that can change the balance of the conference, but he won't get enough time...

To compete with the SEC and even some of those SEC-lite teams you can't just be powerful and run heavy, you gotta have packages that manipulate the defense (Situational packages)...As average as Florida played today, Penn State's offense was so STRAIGHT-UP, no frills it was ridiculous...You not gonna be able to just go at these NFL-babies with the same $hit all day...You gotta trick'em (Not trick-play'em, manipulate the match-ups)...Same $hit with Wisc., can't be running that HB-Tackle $hit all game verses athletic teams...Sucks to be a BIG 10 fan right now and has been for a while to be honest...This is a down year for the SEC too which makes it worse...
In what universe are you living?

Rodriguez's offense does not work in the Big 10. Yes, a lot of Michigan's troubles were because of their total lack of a defense (106th in the country), but many teams were able to stop their O more than enough to win handily. In the Big East, his system works. In the Big 10, where many teams play VERY good defense, it does not work. The QB gets killed. The tiny RBs and QBs are mincemeat after a few weeks. I mean, seriously. My guess, from your location, is that you're a SEC Kool-Aid drinker. Yes, the SEC whooped the Big 10's ass today. But you guys rarely dominate us like that, and in fact, the Big 10 is usually pretty good against the SEC on January 1st. Many years we beat the SEC straight up.

Rodriguez an inventive mind... hah.

And you didn't watch the PSU game, obviously. The play calling was hardly the problem. It was the awful play of McGloin. On only a few plays did I really question the play calling. Had McGloin not been SO BAD, PSU would've won. McGloin (and the coaches who didn't pull him) is to blame. Justin Brown also dropped three HUGE passes, all for BIG first downs. If McGloin executes, we win. PSU's D gave up 23 points on VERY short fields because McGloin put them in ATROCIOUS positions.

When PSU got cute, THAT was when McGloin sucked. PSU's power run game was DOMINATING Florida's defense. No, power is how the Big 10 consistently holds its own against the SEC. Today was very bad for the Big 10. It happens. But go back and look at the history of Big Ten/SEC bowls. The Big 10 consistently does very well. Some Big 10 teams do better than others. OSU is AWFUL against the SEC, but teams like Penn State, historically, hold their own against the SEC.

I don't believe in conference solidarity, and I routinely root against the Big 10, but what you wrote is just ridiculous. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Old 2011-01-01, 21:28   Link #2250
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Rich Rodriguez helped engineer Tulane, friggin TULANE to a 12-0 season because of his innovative system...Let's just skip over West Virginia competing for National Titles with no instate talent...

I'm simply saying once he was able to get thru one recruiting class maybe we could have seen improvement...I personally believe that the BIG 10 needs to trend toward more sophisticated package-based offense as a conference (Like the SEC), since ultimately the best BIG 10 team will almost always have to beat the best SEC team to win titles etc.,...Michigan for as much as their criticized (fairly so because of the D) has some offensive principles that I think would be effective in balancing the conference...

You telling me just 3 years, only 2 recruiting years is a good appraisal of what Michigan can be? The guys who hired Rich Rod must wear a$$hats if they didn't think he was gonna bring the same offensive system that has been great for him for the last decade...On top of that his roster turnover was gonna be waaaaaay more difficult given what Michigan was prior to him getting there...I'm not gonna say he didn't get a decent shake in the microwave world we now live in concerning sports, but I see it every year...The Big 10 just doesn't project well with their style if we're talking about elite championship winning conference (SEC 6-0 All-time BCS Champs)...
Old 2011-01-01, 21:55   Link #2251
JagdPanther

Quote:
Rich Rodriguez helped engineer Tulane, friggin TULANE to a 12-0 season because of his innovative system...Let's just skip over West Virginia competing for National Titles with no instate talent...
I'm sorry, in which conferences do Tulane and West Virginia play?

The reason why those teams were competing that way was the same reason people have been whining about BSU and TCU being given/not being given a shot at the BCS title game. They play in VERY weak conferences. The Big East is in big danger of losing their Automatic Qualifier status because they're so weak.

Quote:
I'm simply saying once he was able to get thru one recruiting class maybe we could have seen improvement...I personally believe that the BIG 10 needs to trend toward more sophisticated package-based offense as a conference, since ultimately the best BIG 10 team will almost always have to beat the best SEC team to win titles etc.,...Michigan for as much as their criticized (fairly so because of the D) has some offensive principles that I think would be effective in balancing the conference...
Doesn't make a lick of difference if Michigan can't play D, and Rodriguez CLEARLY does not give a flying crap about defense. Michigan has has awful defenses each of his three seasons. Michigan would've been better off not even fielding a defense and just letting the other team score so that their own defenses were on the field all game and maybe be gassed enough to let Michigan score a TD and a two point conversion on every drive.

Once again, Michigan's offensive scheme cannot work in a conference that plays defense. His system needs undersized players like Steve Slaton and lean, fast guys like Pat White. But once those guys start taking shots from big, fast defenders, they get banged up and injured really quickly. The Big 10, believe it or not, routinely plays some of the best defense in the country.

Wisconsin is really the only Big 10 team that does not run some form of the spread. Everyone plays offenses similar to most top-end SEC teams or Big XII teams. Even then, Wisconsin holds it own against SEC teams. Since 2005, they've faced SEC teams three times in bowl games and have won twice. Let me guess... those were awful SEC teams, you'll say. Wisky is 2-3 against the SEC since 2000, in an effort for full disclosure, though. Still, if you can't run "power" against SEC teams, then why has Wisky won twice against SEC teams? Penn State is 2-2 against the SEC since 2000. I guess those SEC teams we beat sucked, though, right?

I honestly hope Rodriguez doesn't get canned. He will, unfortunately. Rodriguez is the gift the keeps on giving to the Big 10. Everyone in the Big 10 hates Michigan. Seeing them suck is hilarious to the rest of us, even the teams that suck worse (like Indiana). The more Rodriguez scoffs at defense, the more he tries to force a square peg into a round hole, the more he sticks his foot in his mouth in pressers, the more he "gifts" to the rest of us Big 10 school fans.

If Michigan hires Brady Hoke or Jim Harbaugh, which is the odds-on thought right now, Michigan will very quickly return to national prominence. Rodriguez sucks. Harbaugh or Hoke would be dynamite at Michigan.

Quote:
You telling me just 3 years, only 2 recruiting years is a good appraisal of what Michigan can be? The guys who hired Rich Rod must where a$$hats if they didn't think he was gonna bring the same offensive system that has been great for him for the last decade...On top of that his roster turnover was gonna be waaaaaay more difficult given what Michigan was prior to him getting there...I'm not gonna say he didn't get a decent shake in the microwave world we now live in concerning sports, but I see it every year...The Big 10 just doesn't project well with their style if we're talking about elite championship winning conference...
If your team performed as poorly as Michigan did over that time frame, you'd be calling for his head, too. Don't deny it.

For better or worse, that's the nature of college football ALL OVER THE COUNTRY. Win right away or pack your bags. Some coaches can switch systems in a hurry, others can't. Ryan Mallet, star SEC QB, left Michigan because Rodriguez was going to F with the system, stupidly. Oh, and by the way, that ultra-traditional pro-style Michigan team in 2007, before Rodriguez arrived, beat a Tim Tebow-led Florida team. Did that Florida team suck too much for that Big 10 victory to count?

Michigan's AD has made some terrible decisions, not the least of which was hiring Rodriguez. His system DOES NOT WORK in power conferences. And no, the Big East is NOT a "power" conference. Especially not when they're dangerously close to losing their AQ status.

The Big 10 doesn't have a "style." That's probably the biggest myth (aside from the "southern speed" myth... which is actually so untrue that it's hilarious... northern athletes routinely test out faster than southern athletes in national competitions... even when you talk about "quickness" v.s. "speed," the Big 10 is hardly slow). This isn't the 70s. Every Big 10 team is different just like every SEC team is different. Every Big 10 team runs a different offense/defense.

Like I said, I do not believe in conference solidarity at all. Penn State has always and will always be a red-headed step-child in the Big 10. We do not belong here. I do NOT root for Big 10 teams in OOC games. I DO believe that the SEC is, usually, the best conference in the country. But what you're positing is just ridiculous. The margin of difference is not nearly what you make it out to be, and many Big 10 teams hold their own against the SEC. I've watched more college football than should be legally allowed for someone not in the college sports media over the last 23 years, and I don't remember this "Big 10 sucks!" crap before the last 5-10 years. OSU is the biggest problem; they are USELESS against SEC teams. Getting pasted by two SEC teams in the NC game this past decade really set the Big 10's image back.

But, whatever. In the end, I suppose the Big 10 gets the last laugh. The SEC is extremely envious of the Big 10's foresight into the marketing of a conference (i.e. the Big Ten Network). And with the addition of Nebraska, the Big 10 will have, EASILY, the best single-conference TV viewership of any conference in the country.

Old 2011-01-01, 22:30   Link #2252
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

^Look I think it's a down year for the SEC...Probably the worse year for the SEC in atleast a decade, but you're not totally wrong here...I know it's conceded, but I have 2 cousins who play for Alabama and honestly they admitted how the team just couldn't get up for that game against Utah a couple years ago (Saban remedied that this year)...If you're a high profile SEC team sometimes you play flat when you're not in that championship game (Yes that's how arrogant the NFL-lite conference is), but I also believe that Teams that represent the best of each conference annually (whether it be the Nat'l Championship or highest level matchup therein) it's been shown the best of the SEC beats the best of the Big 10...I went to LSU and I know none of the fanbase was energized for that matchup against Penn state last year for what it's worth (Same with Florida the year they lost out on the title game right before they played the Big 10)...

As for the rest, the SEC is a speedier conference I doubt you'd scream the opposite in a room of random hardcore college football fans, but like I said it isn't just speed it's more manipulation based offenses that utilize speed better than most Big 10 teams...I think Rich Rod can do some of that, but he won't get the opportunity to show more of it (Again you're right he probably doesn't deserve it, but I'd hire him in a second for O-coordinator in the SEC)...

Nevertheless against a really bad Florida team you saw how those passing windows closed up quick for the QB you are slaying? In the Big 10 he completes some of those balls, in the SEC the team speed destroys that...Some of those INT's were great Defensive plays especially the one where the guy torqued his body at the last second and snatched it on the 3rd & 1 play...You can call it myths but perception is reality and ALL OVER THE COUNTRY the SEC gets more respect than the BIG 10...You can't deny that...After today's outcomes sheeeeesh, who would?
Old 2011-01-02, 02:02   Link #2253
JagdPanther

Quote:
^Look I think it's a down year for the SEC...Probably the worse year for the SEC in atleast a decade, but you're not totally wrong here...I know it's conceded, but I have 2 cousins who play for Alabama and honestly they admitted how the team just couldn't get up for that game against Utah a couple years ago (Saban remedied that this year)...If you're a high profile SEC team sometimes you play flat when you're not in that championship game (Yes that's how arrogant the NFL-lite conference is), but I also believe that Teams that represent the best of each conference annually (whether it be the Nat'l Championship or highest level matchup therein) it's been shown the best of the SEC beats the best of the Big 10...I went to LSU and I know none of the fanbase was energized for that matchup against Penn state last year for what it's worth (Same with Florida the year they lost out on the title game right before they played the Big 10)...
So, what you're saying is that all SEC schools are brats who pout when they don't get what they feel they deserve...?
Quote:
As for the rest, the SEC is a speedier conference I doubt you'd scream the opposite in a room of random hardcore college football fans, but like I said it isn't just speed it's more manipulation based offenses that utilize speed better than most Big 10 teams...I think Rich Rod can do some of that, but he won't get the opportunity to show more of it (Again you're right he probably doesn't deserve it, but I'd hire him in a second for O-coordinator in the SEC)...
You are correct... maybe. He may be a good OC. But he is not a good HC in a power conference at all.

You really must not watch a lot of college football if you think the SEC and the Big 10 are all that different in terms offensive schemes. And "manipulation based offenses" is hilarious, by the way.
Quote:
Nevertheless against a really bad Florida team you saw how those passing windows closed up quick for the QB you are slaying? In the Big 10 he completes some of those balls, in the SEC the team speed destroys that...Some of those INT's were great Defensive plays especially the one where the guy torqued his body at the last second and snatched it on the 3rd & 1 play...You can call it myths but perception is reality and ALL OVER THE COUNTRY the SEC gets more respect than the BIG 10...You can't deny that...After today's outcomes sheeeeesh, who would?
OSU must be an SEC team, then.

It has nothing to do with the fact that we played an SEC team. It has everything to do with the fact that we have a terrible QB who played a team with a great defense. The same thing happened against Ohio State. McGloin just got lucky in the first half of that game. The second half was a disaster of epic proportions. He also lost us that game in large part. Newsflash: great defenses don't exist only in the SEC.

The SEC is usually the best conference, as I said. But you SEC fans are so delusional if you think that you corner the market on good play or that only an SEC team has the attributes/abilities that you just described.

Last edited by JagdPanther; 2011-01-02 at 02:26.
Old 2011-01-02, 04:14   Link #2254
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther
The SEC is usually the best conference, as I said. But you SEC fans are so delusional if you think that you corner the market on good play or that only an SEC team has the attributes/abilities that you just described.
Well I wouldn't expect you to say any differently since that's you conference, but by that same token you can't run away from your conference and sweep OSU under the doormat...Year in, year out, that's usually the best team in the BIG 10...Did somebody ask OSU to mostly clobber all the BIG10 and get to the BCS Bowls? The best judge of divisions, leagues, etc., is when the best of that bracket plays the best of the other (For Titles)...If that team then consistently loses to the best of another what can one infer from that?

Something...

Quote:
And "manipulation based offenses" is hilarious, by the way.
Just imagine Jaws from ESPN Matchup saying that and you'd respect it^^...
Old 2011-01-02, 12:24   Link #2255
JagdPanther

Quote:
Well I wouldn't expect you to say any differently since that's you conference, but by that same token you can't run away from your conference and sweep OSU under the doormat...Year in, year out, that's usually the best team in the BIG 10...Did somebody ask OSU to mostly clobber all the BIG10 and get to the BCS Bowls? The best judge of divisions, leagues, etc., is when the best of that bracket plays the best of the other (For Titles)...If that team then consistently loses to the best of another what can one infer from that?
So, if the conference champion sucks and gets beat by another conference's team, then, by process of deduction, the whole conference sucks?

I cannot agree with that logic. Football is a game of match-ups. That's why the Transitive Property of Football is bullcrap. You can't say that since X beat Y and Y beat Z that X would beat Z. It doesn't work that way.

If that were the case, then Appalachian State would've been D-IA national champs in 2007.

In talking with some Florida fans, they think that PSU was clearly the better team yesterday. However, because PSU had one player who has no business being on a D-IA team and is an arrogant jerk who thinks he can do no wrong, PSU lost. I normally do not say that "oh, we were the better team, but we threw it away" when PSU loses. I am by many standards a huge pessimist. But in this case, I might be inclined to agree. PSU could move the ball on Florida and could stop Florida's O. But because Matt McGloin SUCKS and Joe Paterno always plays the buddy system and doesn't bench players for whom he has a soft spot, PSU continued to be put in atrocious spots and we lost. If I had been at that game, I would've jumped the railing after McGloin's 2nd or 3rd pick and broken his leg so that he couldn't go back in. McGloin gets pulled, we win. It all comes down to that.

Quote:
Just imagine Jaws from ESPN Matchup saying that and you'd respect it^^...
Yeah, not really.

Old 2011-01-02, 12:54   Link #2256
Prodigy
Heartless

It sucks how Lloyd (the only Broncos player to make the Pro Bowl) isn't even starting even though he has played statistically better than both Wayne and Johnson.

Lol @ Chris Johnson claiming to break the rushing record and not even making the Pro Bowl.
Prodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-02, 16:08   Link #2257
Samari
World's Greatest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy View Post
It sucks how Lloyd (the only Broncos player to make the Pro Bowl) isn't even starting even though he has played statistically better than both Wayne and Johnson.

Lol @ Chris Johnson claiming to break the rushing record and not even making the Pro Bowl.
Why isn't Lloyd starting? Is it because he mouthed off to the media last week regarding his former teams?

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Samari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-02, 16:12   Link #2258
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

*tilts head*

Bucs over Saints
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-02, 16:31   Link #2259
Elo the Blue
Mama there goes that man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy View Post

Lloyd's stats were somewhat inflated. So often, he was racking up stats well after the game had been decided. Still he's likely going to start with Johnson out to due to ankle surgery.

Ravens win in the ugliest game I've see all year. Looking forward to the KC match-up next week(assuming Indy takes care of business).
Old 2011-01-02, 16:41   Link #2260
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Grats to Benjarvus Green Ellis for squeezing in a 1000 yard season in the pass heavy NE offense.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
american football, sports