AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Visual Novels, Mobage & Anime Spin-Off Games

Notices

Old 2010-07-31, 21:06   Link #301
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelic Cross View Post
No they aren't. The RPG fanbase are on the DS and PSP.
so true, the consoles right now don't have a decent library of RPGs, while the handhelds are getting flooded by them.
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-31, 21:11   Link #302
Arbitres
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Well anyway, they're just doing what they did with Tales of Symphonia made the initial sales on Gamecube and then port it to PS2 to bumper the sales. In any case if Graces doesn't make it to the states T_T for the wii, it'll never make it here on the PS3. Unless of course they'll wait to sometime late next year and release both at the same time in the states.
I still want my bushido Kratos. :|
Arbitres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-05, 02:49   Link #303
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quoting duckroll from neogaf (he posts on here occasionally in some anime threads)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=402858

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll
Today's Tales Of event officially unveiled the improved PS3 port of Tales of Graces. Since there is a separate thread for the new PS3 Tales game, I'll make one for this as well.

The F in the title stands for "Future," and it highlights the main major enhancement over the original game. Aside from the original storyline, a post-ending epilogue storyline has been added to the game. It takes place half a year after the end of the game, and the voiced events in it take up 3 script books in volume. In comparison, the original game itself has 4 script books for the entire game, so there is almost twice the amount of story content being added.

Other additions in the game will include a new costume for Sophie, various new moves and hi-ougis for the characters, and many more. The power point slide at the presentation seems to indicate that there will be a new gameplay system being added called "Accelerate Mode," and that Richard will be the 7th playable character in the game. It also seems to show a brand new dungeon not in the original game.

As far as the graphics go, the game will be presented in HD, but it seems that they will be keeping most of the assets in the original. The game looks to be a the original assets rendered in a HD resolution ala Sony's HD Classics line of PS2 ports. The producer did mention that they will be doing adjustments as they see fit to make the graphics look as good as possible in HD though.

The game is slated for release in "Winter 2010," which probably means December in Japan. About a year after the release of the Wii original. It's ToV PS3 all over again!
lol Hitler...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
My point was that the PS3 port of Vesperia's sales number was not significant enough to warrant the effort.
So wait let me get this straight? The port that cost the least to develop and sold the most copies is a waste of time and resources?

Quote:
I'm not belittling anyone who challenges my point of view, nor am I calling anyone who defends the port a PS3 fanboy.
Having a holier than thou attitude isn't restricted to just belittling people, acting like you know how much ports cost and dismissing an entire genre of gaming as skilless twitch also implies you have such attitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by asaqe View Post
The SCEA is also really tough on ports. You need at 30% more original content from the first game to be considered to be allowed to port a game over here. The NIS CEO said it himself. If SCEA says no, Namco can't bring their games over here. Still, screw Bamco...
Looks like it will cover 30% easily... It takes place half a year after the end of the game, and the voiced events in it take up 3 script books in volume. In comparison, the original game itself has 4 script books for the entire game, so there is almost twice the amount of story content being added

But we all know it's not coming out here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
You underestimate the effect that piracy has on sales. Had this been 2006, then I could agree it would have little to no effect, but now? I'm sure they lose quite a bit of sales to piracy. if 10,000 people were to pirate the game, that's 5% of total sales. Given how easy it is to mod a system right now, you think it has no effect?
Ah now it all makes sense why Ps3 Basara 3 smashed the Wii version, piracy!

Media Create July 26-August 1
01. / 00. [PS3] Sengoku Basara 3 (Capcom) - 243.000 / NEW
05. / 00. [WII] Sengoku Basara 3 (Capcom) - 50.000 / NEW

ToS Ps2 version must have been played by way more people than the Gamecube version, I can't prove it in sales but it was piracy man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
as far as saying 2 Tales game are coming out, its only obvious, since one is a port and the other, while new, also makes sense considering the wii and x360 had their own versions(originally).
Tales of Graces F is getting like 75% more script and is "the" tales game of 2010, The next Tales game for Ps3 is the 15th Anniversary Project, a rather major one... Vesperia was on 360 because Microsoft pushed hard with money for exlusive Jrpgs to try and make a dent in Japan, as it did not work too well they abandoned that tactic. Graces was put on the Wii because it's the dominant home console in Japan but Namco found out what everyone else knows, 3rd parties do shit on the Wii. Xenoblade has struggled to 150,000 copies sold...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
I like how some are throwing in some obscure titles to make it look like games that are cross platform sell better in other systems outside the wii. When they don't bring out massive titles like Guitar hero 5

Wii: 1.06 million
XBOX: 840k
PS3: 690k

And has been consistent with other GH titles with minor exceptions where the sales are virtually identical.
Casual game sells better on the casual console? Woah, mind blown!! Next you're going to tell me Modern Warfare 2 sold better on the 360 and that Final Fantasy XIII sold better on the Ps3!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelic Cross View Post
No they aren't. The RPG fanbase are on the DS and PSP.
As far as consoles go it's the Ps3. Upcoming known rpgs known about with more to be announced @ TGS.

Versus XIII, Ninokuni, Tales Series 15th Anniversary Project, Disgaea 4, Tales of Graces F, Final Fantasy XIV, Atelier Rorona 2, Record of Agarest War 2, TRINITY: Souls of Zill O'll.

Last 6 months has given us Final Fantasy XIII, Resonance of Fate, Ar Tonelico III, Last Rebellion, Star Ocean: The Last Hope International & White Knight Chronicles 2.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-05, 04:31   Link #304
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Sides... you don't realize how silly it sounds to say

Tales fanbase = 200,000 people
150k extra sales for Vesperia Ps3 came from casuals.

Meaning the system with 10 million userbase has 0 casual fans interested in Tales while the system with 5 million somehow has 150,000 casual fans.

It's silly period, funny too when you have another guy arguing that every Ps3 owner has a Wii as well.
Yes. This means no matter on what console namco-bandai release a tales title, it will sell at least 150000-200000 units, excluding best version. But to correct my statment, tales fanbase is probably sub 150000 (120000, if i recalled the TOH numbers). So yeah i will be buying the ps3 version as well, nothing to do with console, it is the games i'm after. I'm i'm still standing by it, that tales fans do not give a crap on which console titles are being released on.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-05, 04:31   Link #305
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Thanks for all the info you have been posting Westlo.

Have always been a Tales fan but I have been a bit out of the loop as of late; That is, I am pretty much catching up with info right now.

Really looking forward for more Tales goodness.
Old 2010-08-05, 17:43   Link #306
jonli
JONLIの憂'

I'm surprised by how much content they're going to add on Tales of Graces F. That's literally a sequel in a game.

I'm open to that idea though, I really enjoyed the character quests in Legendia. It felt like I was revisiting them after the season finale.

That being said...who here played Tales of Graces and enjoyed it? I haven't played it myself and none of my friends have, so I've been wondering what would you rate the game comparing them to other Tales of titles? Any breakthrough in storytelling and characters? Or just the usual?
jonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-05, 17:44   Link #307
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

I've decided to import and get the translation patch once its complete >_>
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-05, 18:06   Link #308
Angelic Cross
Soul-eating Librarian

Quote:
As far as consoles go it's the Ps3.
A distinction which means jack in Japan. As far as that audience is concerned, there's no real distinction between handhelds and consoles anymore and limiting things to the latter is cutting important sections of the audience out for no good reason. And if we're going the route of lists. . .just off the top of my head, portable RPGs either recently announced or those released in the last six months:

Tactics Ogre: Wheel of Fate
Radiant Historia
Golden Sun: Dark Dawn
Ninokuni
Pokemon Black/White
Yuusha 30 Second (Half Minute Hero 2)
Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 3

7th Dragon
Etrian Odyssey III
Fate/Extra
Last Ranker
Ys: The Oath in Felghana
Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 2
Knights in Nightmare PSP
Inazuma Eleven 3
Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem

And I know I'm forgetting a number of titles. That's just what I can be bothered to remember. Portable supremacy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonli
That being said...who here played Tales of Graces and enjoyed it? I haven't played it myself and none of my friends have, so I've been wondering what would you rate the game comparing them to other Tales of titles?
I enjoyed Graces more for the combat system more than the story (what I could understand of it, at any rate) is what I can say. But then again, certain games and series *cough*SMTforexample*cough* have set my expectations for story quality a bit too high in recent times.
Angelic Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-05, 20:59   Link #309
asaqe
Augumented Paranoia

Quote:

Looks like it will cover 30% easily... It takes place half a year after the end of the game, and the voiced events in it take up 3 script books in volume. In comparison, the original game itself has 4 script books for the entire game, so there is almost twice the amount of story content being added
Still, NIS has it spot on. If ToG was released on 360 first, we may had saw a release but since it was released on Majikkon of Consoles and given their experience with PSP where they had to pay lots of money to make sure they have first dibs on OFW. They have a pretty grim idea of what will happen with the English version. And the reason why there was never a DS release was due to Flashcart rampancy

Not saying Namco is spotless but given how much piracy they face with their games, they simply can't take loss of sale to pirates
Old 2010-08-05, 21:36   Link #310
Xion Valkyrie

I want a subbed version >.<
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-06, 02:17   Link #311
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonli View Post
That being said...who here played Tales of Graces and enjoyed it? I haven't played it myself and none of my friends have, so I've been wondering what would you rate the game comparing them to other Tales of titles? Any breakthrough in storytelling and characters? Or just the usual?
Best 3D Tales title made up till now, beats TotA easily.
Old 2010-08-06, 10:19   Link #312
mageormike
Resident Gaijin

I agree that system-wise it has the best of the 3d tales so far, but the story was a little bit of a let down for me.

It would have been better if the cast overall had been a bit more memorable, with their themes being a little less heavy handed (how many times does the word "protect" get thrown around, even in the games theme song? 0_o). I swear, you could have made a drinking game out of it.

Great game over all, if not for those last points. I still want to see how they expand on the story in the epilogue however. If its anything like Legendia's, I'm going to probably love it.
Old 2010-08-06, 18:11   Link #313
jonli
JONLIの憂'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
Best 3D Tales title made up till now, beats TotA easily.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mageormike View Post
I agree that system-wise it has the best of the 3d tales so far, but the story was a little bit of a let down for me.

It would have been better if the cast overall had been a bit more memorable, with their themes being a little less heavy handed (how many times does the word "protect" get thrown around, even in the games theme song? 0_o). I swear, you could have made a drinking game out of it.

Great game over all, if not for those last points. I still want to see how they expand on the story in the epilogue however. If its anything like Legendia's, I'm going to probably love it.
Care to elaborate on how special the system is? I've tried to find a review but they're scarce and not detailed, I'm assuming because the game is a bit of an underdog even in Asia. I know that you can switch styles or something along those lines? I'm assuming they still have multiplayer?

Does it hold a candle to Vesperia in terms of quality? I've heard a lot of great things about Vesperia too, about how Yuri is one of the most unique Tales protagonists ever. But I've played neither.

I know a lot of people are going to disagree with me for good reasons, but I actually enjoyed Tales of Legendia's story the most. It had a really interesting setting, and the character quests really made me like the cast (except Shirley).
jonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-06, 20:16   Link #314
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
System itself was great.
Story? Characters? ..............What in the world could that be

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-07, 02:47   Link #315
technomo12
Wise Otaku Seeker

SOOOOOO this are the new additional cast for "Tales of the world Radiant mythology 3"

its not even out yet and yet they are adding new stuff in the radiant mythology series >_<

anyway i would love to play this but

Y_Y i dun have a Wii Y_Y
technomo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-07, 04:16   Link #316
Sides

Quote:
Care to elaborate on how special the system is? I've tried to find a review but they're scarce and not detailed, I'm assuming because the game is a bit of an underdog even in Asia. I know that you can switch styles or something along those lines? I'm assuming they still have multiplayer?

Does it hold a candle to Vesperia in terms of quality? I've heard a lot of great things about Vesperia too, about how Yuri is one of the most unique Tales protagonists ever. But I've played neither.

I know a lot of people are going to disagree with me for good reasons, but I actually enjoyed Tales of Legendia's story the most. It had a really interesting setting, and the character quests really made me like the cast (except Shirley).
Well first it is a tales title, i'm a big fan of the series but i always find that tales titles are childish and no exception here.
The difference between ToV and ToG is i find that ToG is more streamlined/refinded, that is probably due to how the locations are connnected. I always find that the system used by Team Symphonia clumsy and conservative. The battle system is more fast paced and doesn't have the 2D feel that TotA and ToG have. Overall Team Destiny has managed what Team Symphonia didn't, creating a proper 3d title.
One thing is ToG feels shorter, but then again you're not running around a giant empty world map.
I'm not going to piss off any ToV fans, but Yuri is like, how a kid would pen a dark hero, he is pretty predictable and generic. But than again same applies to Asbel and all the main characters in the tales series.
But both and all tales titles are worth playing. If you live in the west get ToV on the 360, you could be able to get it for used for pennies now. The PS3 is not really worth it, in my opinion. It was technically and visually inferior, but had more content/story.
Old 2010-08-07, 11:55   Link #317
mageormike
Resident Gaijin

The battle system is unique in that finds ways to largely retain the fast paced and fairly linear battle style that the 2D games were famous for, while changing things up to 3D.

They accomplished this by incorporating the side-step mechanic to dodge enemy assaults and making free run all by useless compared to its Vesperia and Abyss counterparts (no more walking out of spell range).

The style shift system was a fun new mechanic that acted in a similar way to action games "dial-a-combo" where depending on what moves you linked to each other the next set of available moves would be decided. Made for a fun fast-paced system that largely eliminated "normal" attacks.

Lastly, the CC system that eliminates TP has probably been (formerly known as) Team Destiny's greatest addition to the formula IMO. So much fun, and no need to purchase TP items again

Story-wise, I liked most of the cast, but they were fairly standard for the most part, with only Pascal standing out for me (the ditz and genius combined, kinda felt like Harold from Destiny 2 and Norma from Legendia in one character). And it wouldn't have bothered me as much, like I said, if not for the heavy-handed delivery of their main theme.

At least it wasn't racism this time ^_^;; However, if the characters are fleshed out in the epilogue like Legendia's cast I may change my mind.

Still overall one of the better home console Tales in the past few years IMO. Glad they are toning down the flood of titles however. They all start to blend together.

I think Graces and Hearts are the only ones I actually enjoyed in the long run :/
Old 2010-08-07, 19:20   Link #318
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
I don't think the early trailer for ToG F was posted here yet:

Mixed feelings about this. (in a good way) The trailer seems to be more focused on the epilogue than the main story. (unless the main story is being largely changed, which I doubt) You can definitely see a big difference in graphic level, but it looks like we might be in for a sad story in the epilogue.
Old 2010-08-08, 02:43   Link #319
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
Mixed feelings about this. (in a good way) The trailer seems to be more focused on the epilogue than the main story. (unless the main story is being largely changed, which I doubt) You can definitely see a big difference in graphic level, but it looks like we might be in for a sad story in the epilogue.
Models/assets looks like the same, just rendered at a higher resolution. Obviously shadow and lighting effects are differnet, due to different hardware.
Not sure what to think about the future of HD gaming, considering how good Basara 3 sold on the ps3, also using the Wii as base. But Wii titles running at a higher resolution and 60fps is good enought for me, also save developers a lot of money.
Old 2010-08-08, 07:52   Link #320
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Wii titles can also run at 60 FPS, you know. Use 480p.

Tags
game, games, rpg