AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-09-26, 00:22   Link #881
cyberdemon

it really felt that they were blatantly hinting at a second season in 13.
cyberdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-26, 00:36   Link #882
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdemon View Post
it really felt that they were blatantly hinting at a second season in 13.
Hopefully, it isn't a canard like the epilog of Buckeroo Banzai was
Old 2010-09-26, 01:07   Link #883
cyberdemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Hopefully, it isn't a canard like the epilog of Buckeroo Banzai was
anime tends to be good about these kinds of things.
cyberdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-26, 01:14   Link #884
tsunade666

the last episode is still great but up to the point of when it start showing credits and baseball and imouto + love letter stuff.

btw that scene seems familiar but I can't remember from what baseball manga/anime that is.

well the second part is like repetition of the story even if they say they are just reminiscing about the past and full of crap.
Old 2010-09-26, 02:47   Link #885
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Second season or not, I loved this show, partially because of its strong cast, but also because most of the jokes (how repetitive and predictable they eventually became) were genuinely funny.

For a show built entirely around innuendo, it's definitely been a blast all 13 weeks and definitely counts as one of the funniest shows this season.

Would've been nice if they delved a bit more into Shino's interest in Tsuda, but I guess they didn't want to bring full closure to it, just in case.
Old 2010-09-26, 03:06   Link #886
Ezilled

All right, the ending was.. mediocre, leaving it off open just like that. Why, Go Hands? I am disappointed. Where did my full-mode deredere Shino go?

The second segment about discussing their fake memories were dull compared to previous ones; however, Mitsuba's dream sequence made it quite fair enough. For some reason, I got SnI vibes: the board message, run of the mill discussions, and whatnot. Hmm, odd.

Anyways, it's clear that I enjoyed watching SYD for its blatant, sex jokes delivered by respective cast despite most of them were a basic girls' thing that I couldn't comprehend. One thing for sure, Tsuda has become one of the finest straight man in my book. Here's hoping for another serving though.

Also, GEOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I'll never forget his buffet of manliness.
Ezilled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-26, 04:51   Link #887
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Last episode was classic, even if the second half turned into a clip show, though it was a successful clip show! Plus you can't say no to a show that talks about the series that's taking over your timeslot.

First half had some great jokes. Especially Aria thinking Tsuda is playing with his nipple . Oh and there's the robot creator sex toy girl, who's in the OP.

Oh wow what a show. It's pretty damn amazing how a show full of dirty jokes and making fun of a girl's height never fell flat, and just kept on increasing in humor. What a show. Would love a second season.
Old 2010-09-26, 05:50   Link #888
CWW
Lurker

I don't know, guys, I loved the clip show, especially the way they twisted it. Infinitely better than ending with the usual gags and cue ED with no closure. Then again, I'm a fan of bittersweet, nostalgic endings. It gives the ride emotional impact and lasting appeal.

Some great jokes too, my favorite being Tsuda on the beach. His gratifying smile and the way he runs in slow motion did it for me. Suzu going dojikko mode was a surprise too as was Mutsumi making a dirty joke. One of the best episodes in my opinion. The last few episodes were getting a bit stale in the joke department.

Now I wish Magical Mako was actually happening. I'd take it over Hakuouki any day of the week. *sob*

I remember they did this with Princess Lover too. Oh, GoHands, never change.
CWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-26, 06:02   Link #889
matteas
Member Member

I think that Shino's last line was a big flag for second season and really suggested that there will be one, possibly next year if you take it literally. Which you can since Shino spoke of the (school) year in anime as about 13 episodes, after all.

I really loved this series. It never let me down and every episode made me laugh hard several times. Furthermore, I found SYD quite unique thanks to its unusual type of humor.
matteas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-26, 06:13   Link #890
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

The final episode was kind of disappointing. The first half (more like third) was great since it was manga material and they finally introduced the dildo girl (I couldn't stop laughing when she pulled out a miniature version for Suzu, Suzu's reaction to this was great ). The rest of the episode was not that bad but it was definitely lacking the S.Y.D touch.

I loved this show even more than I expected to. Even though the jokes became predictable and a bit repetitive (Suzu's never get old though, she's definitely my favorite character in the show), it never failed to entertain me. Would love a second season.
Old 2010-09-26, 06:56   Link #891
Kopi
Σ(゚ロ゚ノ)ノ

Episode 13 felt medicore.. first portion was great until the memorable events. Well there were certain parts in the memorable section that were interesting such as when Tsuda pulled out the keychain and had a wtf face lol. Wish they used that time for more manga material though

Second Season? Yes please
Kopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-26, 09:19   Link #892
Saturn Beaver
Home of Silent Prayer

Send a message via MSN to Saturn Beaver
Yeah, kinda disappointed here as well with clip shows. Even parodied, it's not really all that funny anyway, and these things make the episode seems more like a throwaway episode, especially compared to the developments we got the last two episodes. Just seems like the 13th episode seems unnecessary, sure there's a bit of continuity like the graduation ceremony and saying that next time they will be in a new grade, but that's it. It's not all bad, some jokes especially in the beginning are pretty funny and the outright 4th wall breaking is quite hilarious, but there's not enough Kotomi. Seriously, everyone else got in but all she got is the ending in the middle and she doesn't even speak. What, did her VA's contract doesn't cover that or something? If there's one good thing, unlike the other Seitokai show that outright said that there won't be a second season in the last episode, here there seems to be hinting for the possibility for the second season.

And yes, I would love a second season. I love the characters, especially Suzu (somehow her jokes instead of getting older gets funnier for me) and Tsuda who is an excellent straight man. I like Shino as well, especially when she gets embarassed and blushed (usually about Tsuda), very different from her usual attitude. The other perverted characters (Yokoshima-sensei and her newest apprentice Kotomi, as well as Aria) are great source for green jokes as well. Side characters like Mitsuba and Hata are interesting as well. It takes a bit of getting used to in the beginning, but when it hits its stride like in ep 11, it's amazing if the second season can do that again then it's a must watch for me.

Would be interesting that just like they squeeze 1 year in-universe into 3 months real time, for the second season the 3 months of holiday before new school year in-universe (okay, no way will the holiday be that long, but let's keep the analogy intact) becomes a one year wait in real life. That way they'll have enough time to prepare, maybe another volume or two of the manga will be available as well so that they won't have to use their own jokes too often. Really hope that this will come to be.
Saturn Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-26, 10:46   Link #893
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Beaver View Post
Would be interesting that just like they squeeze 1 year in-universe into 3 months real time, for the second season the 3 months of holiday before new school year in-universe (okay, no way will the holiday be that long, but let's keep the analogy intact) becomes a one year wait in real life. That way they'll have enough time to prepare, maybe another volume or two of the manga will be available as well so that they won't have to use their own jokes too often. Really hope that this will come to be.
Volume 4 came out like two weeks ago.. there's probably going to be another volumes worth of material in a months time that isn't in tank form. By the time it gets to winter or spring they will have 4-6 volumes worth of material to work with.. and considering episodes 1-12 covered the first two volumes (as well as some other random scenes according to Vexx) that's more than enough.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-26, 14:30   Link #894
fict_ticious
I can has drinks?

The made-up clip bits at the end really reminded me about those year end/season end episodes they had on Gintama.
fict_ticious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-26, 15:02   Link #895
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I can't help but laugh - I'm not a huge fan of this show. It's decent but I generally found it repetitive and only intermittently very funny. Yet, I loved the last episode and the folks who've loved the show all along generally seem to have disliked it. If that doesn't say something about our personal biases, what does?

Takeaway for me - Mitsuba was tragically underused. Absolutely adorable.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-26, 15:34   Link #896
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I can't help but laugh - I'm not a huge fan of this show. It's decent but I generally found it repetitive and only intermittently very funny. Yet, I loved the last episode and the folks who've loved the show all along generally seem to have disliked it. If that doesn't say something about our personal biases, what does?
Personally i don't really understand why so many people disliked the last episode (the second part it seems like). Sure it wasn't manga material, though i don't see that being a good enough reason. The show has joked around like this in the past, and this time it was about the ending. Maybe it's just the fact that it ended, and people are using that as an excuse not to like the second half? Ah well.
Old 2010-09-26, 15:36   Link #897
Saturn Beaver
Home of Silent Prayer

Send a message via MSN to Saturn Beaver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post

Takeaway for me - Mitsuba was tragically underused. Absolutely adorable.
I wouldn't really call it personal bias, just a slightly different sense of humor is all. After all, perhaps because the anime staff uses more of anime original stuff even more than usual, the jokes feels are a bit different than previous episodes like serenade_beta said. Maybe that's why...I do agree with you that more Mitsuba will be great though.
Saturn Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-26, 16:42   Link #898
CWW
Lurker

T'is not dirty enough is what people are saying but don't want to say out loud.

I don't read the manga, but the jokes don't feel out of place at all. Hata taking stealth shots fits perfectly within her character. Yes, there are no Shino is so moe I could die moments, but eh, the show wasn't exclusively about her anyway. I take it from this thread that the original manga didn't have these elements of character development, at least not as strong as in the anime, so it's a bit of a contradiction to want manga material and cute Shino moments.

PS. If you didn't smile at the Magical Mako part, you have no soul.
CWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-26, 18:34   Link #899
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Here's my bias... when the production staff turns up the amp a bit on the sweet moments it doesn't bother me (mainly because those moments actually exist in the manga, they just seem muted because they're one frame). When the staff injects their own *jokes* into the series... their hit/miss ratio isn't that great. There's a reason they are staff writers that adapt material and not manga authors --- sometimes it shows...

What I take away from the episode is the speculation that the staff is very confident of getting another season.
Old 2010-09-26, 19:02   Link #900
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
What I take away from the episode is the speculation that the staff is very confident of getting another season.
Indeed they are. I'm just getting the thought they are going off the manga and going Anime Original if they ever make a season 2.. I dont know why, but just a feeling.

Tags
comedy, shounen